IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is your OS of choice?, Another bit of market research...
What is your OS of choice?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 117
Guests cannot vote 
MrSandman666
post Jul 16 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,270

This is another poll to determine the overall market for shadowrun programs. It would be interesting to know what I'm developing for since it influences the choice of tools I use greatly.

So, vote away!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gigapulse
post Jul 16 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 3,174

I use Windows XP, because Im lazy. Although I also have instaled RedHat 9.0 and FreeBSD.

Sincerely, If I had money to spend I'll rather have a Mac for personal use.

-Gig

+Quote Post
GreatChicken
post Jul 16 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,286

Mac, by the way, has abandoned it's OS/2 platform. The OS X is based on UNIX.

Also, anything programmed in older versions of Windows is actually quite compatible with newer versions of Windows. You'd only need to worry if you're accessing Control Panel functions, which you probably won't (unless you're doing viral code. :spin: ). VB's backwards compatibility is more troublesome than Java's, but VB progs behave like that nonetheless; just provide the corresponding VB version DLL file for the user to download (eg if you code in VB6.0, provide the MSVBN600.DLL (correct name?) file for download and instruct the user to throw it in the same directory as the program.

Do NOT program for newer versions of windows only; there are still a suprising number of people out there still running ME/98/95.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jul 16 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #4

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

I got XP running across the network right now...but microsoft decided to be nice for my 2003 MCSE/A classes and give us free copies of 2003 Enterprise with 25 client licenses...plus our place has 2 Win NT machines (older laptops), and I've got a Win CE palm computer (runs 2002...upgrading to 2003CE when I get the cash) Our new roomies gonna bring OSX Pather in with his G4 too, so we can run almost anything!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 16 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

OS/2 Warp ;)

BeOS and NeXTStep!

~J

+Quote Post
Connor
post Jul 17 2004, 01:41 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Ahh, good old OS/2 Warp! I still need to get that computer running again... OS/2 Forever!

These days I'm using OS X as my main platform of choice. Although, I still use FreeBSD, but not really for anything other than server stuff these days. OS X is much more than enough Unix for me on the desktop, and much better than Unix on the desktop.

So, yeah, OS of choice for me is OS X. I pretty much haven't had a need for Windows since I ran OS/2 Warp 3. ;-)

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Jul 17 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #7

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Well I like to play videogames so I use WinXP.

Works great for me.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jul 17 2004, 09:55 AM
Post #8

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

I like running DOS on my Tablet PC. ;)

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jul 18 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

Recently I upgraded my hardware and took the opportunity to upgrade the OS as well:
Win 98SE -> Win XP Professional (available for €5 in my university's computing center).

On my notebook I still use the Windows ME that came bundled with it.
I guess installing Win XP on a 4.5GB HDD would not be a very wise idea...

Sometimes I experiment with Knoppix (a run-from-CD Linux).

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Jul 18 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

I use WinME. It is terrible but I am too tight to get XP; I will get it free in September anyway. (BEng. Hons. Entertainment Systems Software Engineering - ironically, I got onto the degree based on game-design experience)

I also use Linux for those all-too-common moments when WinME decides to delete a graphics driver-file it needs for boot-up. Actually, I would probably never use Windows, were it not for a minor Everquest addiction...

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 19 2004, 04:13 PM
Post #11

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

As stated in the hardware thread I'm using multible OS on my workstations. Currently mainly WinXP Professional and Debian Linux (voted XP here, since there's the focus right now).
Oterh systems are usually tested with virtual machines like VM-Ware ...

+Quote Post
CountZero
post Jul 26 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,353

Um... I'm running Windows 2K which isn't on the list...

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 26 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

I'd say that 2K is closer to XP than it is to anything else on that list.

+Quote Post
MrSandman666
post Jul 27 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,270

Yep, if you use win2000, vote for XP. I couldn't possibly include every single OS out there.
Also, if you use multiple systems, vote for the one that you use to do most of your work with or that you use most of the time. For example if you're like me (sorry, didn't wanna insult you ;) ) and you have Linux and WinXP on your box but use XP only for gaming and some other special applications whereas linux is the system you spend most of your computer time with, vote for Linux. Or if you use several systems simultaneously vote for whatever system you would like to use your Shadowrun programs on ;)

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Aug 18 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (GreatChicken)
Mac, by the way, has abandoned it's OS/2 platform. The OS X is based on UNIX.

Also, anything programmed in older versions of Windows is actually quite compatible with newer versions of Windows. You'd only need to worry if you're accessing Control Panel functions, which you probably won't (unless you're doing viral code. :spin: ). VB's backwards compatibility is more troublesome than Java's, but VB progs behave like that nonetheless; just provide the corresponding VB version DLL file for the user to download (eg if you code in VB6.0, provide the MSVBN600.DLL (correct name?) file for download and instruct the user to throw it in the same directory as the program.

Do NOT program for newer versions of windows only; there are still a suprising number of people out there still running ME/98/95.

Actually MAC never used OS/2, that's IBMs Operating system for Intel-CPU's. Mac used System6/7/8/9 based on an own design for the Motorola 68xxx and the PPC units and has based the PPC only OS-X on MACH-3 with a BSD persona so it looks like Heretic-Unix (Convert to the right UNIX now, chooses System V Version 4 my son).

For some time it was a nice joke to tell someone that you used Mac-10 and a G3 for computing.

-----------------

As for backwards compatibility:

VB6 works most of the time if you develop on a granddaddy OS and port upwarts.

It fails quite often the other way round (say develop on XP and port to Win NT4SP6a [aka Win2k])

As for support of older boxes/OS:

I suggest going with something independend. QTechs GUI-Library (Used i.e in the KDE GUI on Linux) is available on multiple plattforms and IIRC free for non-commercial use. Allows you to combine C(++) and a independend GUI

Depending on the size of the stuff some scripting languages (TCL/TK) might be useful.

Or do the right thing and come to the bright side of the force. Leave the evil emperor Gates and his Dark Minion Balmer and join Master McNealy and the forces of Light. In simple terms: Use JAVA.

Birdy

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 18 2004, 02:16 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Heretics always have more fun :)

And how'd I manage to miss someone claiming that the classic Mac OS/Systems were OS/2 based? (I can see where the confusion could have come in, with systems 8 and after being referred to as Mac OS).

~J

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Aug 18 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Heretics always have more fun :)

And how'd I manage to miss someone claiming that the classic Mac OS/Systems were OS/2 based? (I can see where the confusion could have come in, with systems 8 and after being referred to as Mac OS).

~J

Only until the true believers catch them ;-) I wonder wether one can substitute heretics for DOS-Users in Step 3 :-)

Setting up a UNIX system:

1) Fast and pray for three days

2) Set up the system and install the software

3) Sacrifice a DOS User

4) Boot the system

But back to OS to support:

If you choose to go the Microsoft way (it's faster, more seductive) than by all means use VB6SP3 and an ACCESS97 MDB as a base. That way others can get at the data.

Birdy

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Sep 13 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

Windows XP primarily. Although I sympathize dearly with the Linux/Open Source work ethic, it just isn't ready for the desktop (yet). Unfortunately, as long as IBM-PCs (and their clones) rule the roost, I can't see myself taking the Mac plunge, no matter how beautiful and/or intuitive it may be.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 13 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #19

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i sympathise spookymonster. and given that there is a motherboard for powerpc cpus these days (something called pegasos i belive) there is no real reason to go mac on any platform. linux runs just as well on x86 as on ppc and with pegasos you dont have to pay "apple tax" to get a ppc system :)

+Quote Post
Johnson
post Oct 12 2004, 02:21 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,531

Windows XP and 2000 Pro and Server.

Linux Fudora, ipcop, Suse and Mandrake amoungst others.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 12 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and given that there is a motherboard for powerpc cpus these days (something called pegasos i belive) there is no real reason to go mac on any platform.

Except for the small reason of OSX being absolutely fucking fabulous.

But feel free to ignore that!

+Quote Post
Fixer
post Oct 19 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 5,945

Oh! Hot damn, I remembered my password! :-)

I have not been incredibly impressed with XP so far, I still prefer my 2000 build from before the Virus hit me. Do you deckers have nothing better to do that to tear apart a decent Fixer's machine who was trying to earn a mostly honest nuyen?

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 27 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

Thanks for doing this, I'll keep it in mind in the future.

[Note to self: BUILD FOR XP!!]

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 27 2004, 02:39 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

oh yeah, and OSX does kick some serious but btw.
I sat there and watched OSX launch two more OS's off of itself. This is a mac now..."not multi-taskable" used to be it's defining phrase!
Not only that, but OSX is about as great of an attempt at solid clean coding (like the good 'ol '64s of old) that I've seen in a while.

But really...I'll continue with XP and MS for ease of mainstream software and gaming. :(

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 27 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Gaming, fine. Mainstream software? It's there.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.