Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shapeshifters and oricalcium
Cirenya
post Aug 1 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,318

It just hit me, how does shapeshifters with severe allergy to silver react on oricalcium (gold, copper, silver and mercury)?? Do they have a full allergic reaction to it? does the allergy get toned down or doesn't the silver allergy matters at all?
Anyone knows if the rules covers it, or have some houserules for it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Aug 1 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

I'd say that since Oricalcium is a magical alloy its properties are entirely different from silver, so it wouldn't trigger the allergy. Something to consider is that Fey react in many fantasy settings to Cold Iron... if the iron is in steel, they don't react, nor would they react, I assume, to hot iron. So following fantasy precident (which seems appropriate for werewolves), the Oricalcium wouldn't hurt shifters. That's just personal oppinion, though.

JaronK

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 1 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I agree with JaronK

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 1 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i agree as well. i'd like to note, however, that "cold iron" doesn't refer to a refrigerated iron knife. cold iron is a forging process--it's "cold" because the temperature used in the forging process is much lower than the temperature used for steel, resulting in an impure, weaker metal. the cold iron process was one of the earliest forging techniques; people in earlier times couldn't make fires hot enough to create better steel. when steel became available, people looked back on cold iron as somehow 'purer' than steel, basically the same way people look at things like katana and civil war weapons as being cooler and better than modern weapons. cold iron was the old, traditional way of doing things; steel was the new technology.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 2 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

A 'shifter wouldn't have allergy problems with raw oricalcium, but orichalcium is used in enchanting weapon foci - and those can cause a 'shifter all kinds of trouble.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 2 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

heh, indeed. sorta like how guns don't (usually) kill people--bullets kill people.

+Quote Post
Odin
post Aug 2 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 6,475

heh, indeed. sorta like how guns don't (usually) kill people--bullets kill people.

funny I always thought it was the blunt force trauma from the bullet myself. :D

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 2 2004, 04:56 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Technically, death occurs due to loss of essential nutrients to the brain (with only a few debateable cases). The first essential nutrient to run out tends to be oxygen. Especially when all your blood is busy exploring the floor.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Aug 2 2004, 07:42 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Guns kill people. I have a high clubs (firearms) skill. Rawr.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Cirenya
post Aug 2 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,318

Thanks for the answers :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.