Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shapeshifters and oricalcium
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cirenya
It just hit me, how does shapeshifters with severe allergy to silver react on oricalcium (gold, copper, silver and mercury)?? Do they have a full allergic reaction to it? does the allergy get toned down or doesn't the silver allergy matters at all?
Anyone knows if the rules covers it, or have some houserules for it?
JaronK
I'd say that since Oricalcium is a magical alloy its properties are entirely different from silver, so it wouldn't trigger the allergy. Something to consider is that Fey react in many fantasy settings to Cold Iron... if the iron is in steel, they don't react, nor would they react, I assume, to hot iron. So following fantasy precident (which seems appropriate for werewolves), the Oricalcium wouldn't hurt shifters. That's just personal oppinion, though.

JaronK
BitBasher
I agree with JaronK
mfb
i agree as well. i'd like to note, however, that "cold iron" doesn't refer to a refrigerated iron knife. cold iron is a forging process--it's "cold" because the temperature used in the forging process is much lower than the temperature used for steel, resulting in an impure, weaker metal. the cold iron process was one of the earliest forging techniques; people in earlier times couldn't make fires hot enough to create better steel. when steel became available, people looked back on cold iron as somehow 'purer' than steel, basically the same way people look at things like katana and civil war weapons as being cooler and better than modern weapons. cold iron was the old, traditional way of doing things; steel was the new technology.
Glyph
A 'shifter wouldn't have allergy problems with raw oricalcium, but orichalcium is used in enchanting weapon foci - and those can cause a 'shifter all kinds of trouble.
mfb
heh, indeed. sorta like how guns don't (usually) kill people--bullets kill people.
Odin
heh, indeed. sorta like how guns don't (usually) kill people--bullets kill people.

funny I always thought it was the blunt force trauma from the bullet myself. biggrin.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
Technically, death occurs due to loss of essential nutrients to the brain (with only a few debateable cases). The first essential nutrient to run out tends to be oxygen. Especially when all your blood is busy exploring the floor.
JaronK
Guns kill people. I have a high clubs (firearms) skill. Rawr.

JaronK
Cirenya
Thanks for the answers biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012