Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A question of preference, Rapier or Scorpion
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 16 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,560

Okay, for my latest character I'm having trouble deciding which motorcycle to give him. He used to ride with a gang in Seattle (my GM and I are making a new gang and working out the specifics) but doesn't anymore. I want his motorcycle to be stylish, have a pretty good ability to manuever, but also want some speed to it. I expect he'll get into combat situations while driving it (good thing he's a pistol guy) and may or may not have a passenger, though he's customarily a loner. Even though he rides alone, occassionally he'll still ride with the gang. How fast would be appropriate to keep up with most "biker gangs." Any suggestions from Rigger 3 (I don't have that book yet)? Basically, any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. If someone also wants to sugguest a custom build I'm all ears, as I'm sure I can borrow Rigger 3 before we actually play. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Orient
post Aug 16 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,553

Can't really post stats for it, but when you snag Rigger 3 you should check out the BMW Blitzen in the bike section. A bit more expensive, but it's a pretty nice bike..

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 16 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Go with the BMW Blitzen. It's has speed, a decent Handling, a bit of armor, and can manage two passengers with no problems.

Unless you're a rigger, though, it's really about style over substance. Your bike's stats will almost never come up, and if they do you're going to be toast on a bike anyway (especially if there's a rigger on the otherside).

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 16 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

LOL. Thanks. I've never really dealt with "travel issues" in my limited Shadowrun experience. I'll definitely check that bike out though.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Aug 16 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #5

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Depends on what kind of biker gang in my opinion.

If it's street punks and rich kids, go rapier.
If it's gotee's, mullets, and heavy metal bars go scorpion, and get some ground pounders put on.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 17 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I'm going to be That Guy and suggest a bike that isn't one of your choices: Suzuki Aurora. Not quite as fast as the Blitzen, but cheaper, better sig, and handles like a dream on-road.

~J

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 17 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

But the Aurora (another favorite of mine) can't safely handle a second passenger which was one of his sorta-kinda requirements.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 17 2004, 01:28 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

True. If that drops off the list, then, consider the Aurora.

Maybe two Auroras? ;)

~J

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Aug 17 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I like to think that mullets would have completely died out by 2060.

Get the Scorpion. It seems like more of a choice for a ganger. Unless he's a speed freak, then he'd get the Rapier.

But yeah, the BMW Blitzen is a neato bike.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 17 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (mrobviousjosh)
Okay, for my latest character I'm having trouble deciding which motorcycle to give him. He used to ride with a gang in Seattle (my GM and I are making a new gang and working out the specifics) but doesn't anymore. I want his motorcycle to be stylish, have a pretty good ability to manuever, but also want some speed to it. I expect he'll get into combat situations while driving it (good thing he's a pistol guy) and may or may not have a passenger, though he's customarily a loner. Even though he rides alone, occassionally he'll still ride with the gang. How fast would be appropriate to keep up with most "biker gangs." Any suggestions from Rigger 3 (I don't have that book yet)? Basically, any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. If someone also wants to sugguest a custom build I'm all ears, as I'm sure I can borrow Rigger 3 before we actually play. Thanks.

The stock bike doesn't matter so much as heavy customization. A true biker would have decent motorcycle B/R skill and would have made good use of it. No matter what the stock bike was, your biker should have made it his very own. I suggest working on the cutomization with your GM.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Aug 17 2004, 02:29 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

If you have Rigger 3 anyway, it wouldn't be unreasonable for this character to have a custom built bike, something the gang and he (or even just the gang) built from the ground up from spare parts. To keep it in roleplaying, give it all the 'interesting' features, not the amazingly good stat stuff. Nitro kits are really nice, especially for non-rigger characters. With those, you can at least make good on the accelleration test to get away from any trouble that might come up. Sometimes you don't have to outrun the cops, just the other guy.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Aug 17 2004, 04:03 AM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Harley-Davidson Thundergod.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Young Freud
post Aug 17 2004, 05:39 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,423

QUOTE (Voorhees)
I like to think that mullets would have completely died out by 2060.

Nope. Look at the Tir Tairngire book. It looks like the elves brought the mullet back into fashion, especially amongst the Princes. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 17 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Depends on what kind of biker gang in my opinion.

If it's street punks and rich kids, go rapier.
If it's gotee's, mullets, and heavy metal bars go scorpion, and get some ground pounders put on.

Ground Pounders???? (I'm already building a custom gun on my GM and leaning towards a custom bike now too; though it makes sense for the character. I'm just trying not to because no one in the group has "tons" of SR experience, I personally have only been in a few sessions, and the GM is new to the game despite his roleplaying background. He's playing catch-up and a fellow player/supporting GM is the one giving me the latitude in character direction. Anyway, a few modifications shouldn't be "that bad.") *On a side note, because of the room for twinking characters with all of the expansion books, the supporting GM said that the dragon book for his use would make the playing field level. Is it a worthwhile trade?

My character's gang/direction is more the heavy metal bars. BTW, you guys have all made very persuasive arguments about the type of bike a certain gang would use both ways. I really like the idea of nitrous tanks, which fits the "oh shit" category, without losing the sheer size and style of a larger bike. I'd already thought of getting an increased tank size for "the road." Though a localized gang, I see a lot of "highway travel" with these guys. I just couldn't decide between "cruisers" or "speedsters." Given their bar theme, I'm leaning towards cruisers.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Aug 17 2004, 07:15 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

QUOTE (Young Freud)
Nope. Look at the Tir Tairngire book. It looks like the elves brought the mullet back into fashion, especially amongst the Princes.

Freakin' elves...

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Aug 17 2004, 07:48 AM
Post #16

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Ground pounders are exausts that are turned down towards the ground. It's frigging loud and shakes the ground a practically a mile away

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 17 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Cool. So that's done mostly for flare?

+Quote Post
Johnson
post Aug 17 2004, 09:14 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,531

well looking at what you have all said. The Blitzen is expensive.

Personally I would go for the Scorpion if you are going ganger type.
Though you are playing a ganger it fits the profile.

Unless your gang also did some high speed runs like smuggling runs on open road. Then look at the Rapier if you really a go go ganger.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Aug 17 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #19

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

If you're a go-ganger into speed and handling, the Aurora or Rapier predominate.

If you're a combat ganger or Hell's Angel sort, the Viking or Scorpion.

-Siege

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 17 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Cool, yeah I'm thinking more combat than speed with these guys. As mentioned earlier, not a true ganger, but fitting the profile. Thanks for all the wonderful and fast responses!

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Aug 18 2004, 01:11 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

For combat, you really can't beat the BMW Blitzen. For a lone biker who occaisionally runs with a gang, the Blitzen's not a bad style choice, either.

(Anyone remember the shadowtalk about the Blitzen 205....2 (?) in the Rigger Black Book?)

+Quote Post
PiXeL01
post Aug 18 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,483

in RBB it came up in ShadowTalk that the Blitzen shakes heavily when running at high speed.
Well if you really have money to spend why not go for the coppers bikes? Harley Davidson something. In RBB at least it ran as fast as the Blitzen but DIDNT have the handling problem :)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 18 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

The Blitzen has a great Handling score, and it can seat two unlike the Electroglide. It even has a superior autopilot. The Blitzen is also three times cheaper.

In fact, I have no idea why people are complaining about its price. At 26,300 nuyen, it's only a little more than twice the Honda Scorpion (13,000 nuyen) and a fraction more than the Honda Viking (20,000 nuyen). It's not outrageous at all, unlike the Electroglide (70,000 nuyen).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:51 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.