IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rules Question: Cyber and astral combat, Cyber spurs allowed?
toturi
post Aug 21 2004, 04:11 AM
Post #1

Canon Companion

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,187

OK, this might seem like a dumb ass question but strictly according to the specific rules, cyber weaponry aren't allowed in astral combat (astrally perceiving only) unless they are weapon foci. However, in the preceding paragraph there is a reference to "appropriate" combat skill being used in astral combat and only Ranged skills other than Sorcery were outright forbidden. So my question is: Are Cyber weaponry allowed in Astral combat provided you are not Projecting?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Aug 21 2004, 04:19 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Only if they are dual natured for whatever reason. I think canon assumes that 99% of the time the implants that are not foci are not dual natured. Sometimes this is not the case (such as Cyber Spur Astral Constructs) but...

I know some will argue that whatever you've paid essence for will be dual natured when you perceive, but I don't know that the rules support that.

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Aug 21 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

This could also involve having to default to an "appropriate combat skill".
Although having a perciving character without means to deal with what he/she sees is just downright silly. SURGE excluded of course. ;)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Aug 21 2004, 04:39 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Cyberzombie?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 21 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Cyberzombie?

Hmmm, can Mr Cyberzombie use his cyber spurs to hit that mean old spirit?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 04:51 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The rules are pretty clear.

If you have a weapon focus, you may use the appropriate Armed Combat Skill. That could be Edged Weapons, Clubs, or even Cyber-Implant Combat. If you don't have a weapon focus -- be it a Sword, Mace, or Retractable Spurs -- you have to use Unarmed Combat (or a Marital Arts skill if those rules are being used) or Sorcery. This applies whether you're dual-natured (which is what you become the moment you astrally perceive anyway) or not.

Where's the confusion, and why should cybernetically implanted weapons be given some special consideration?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 21 2004, 05:24 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Yes, but a cyberzombie is totally dual natured... even previously mundane parts will be dual, shouldn't it?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 05:25 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

The cyberzombie himself is dual-natured, not his equipment. Just like shapeshifters, vampires, ghouls, astrally perceiving magicians, a SURGEd street samurai, and every other dual-natured being.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 21 2004, 05:31 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Slow down, you lost me. Unless you are saying that somehow the cyber spurs are seperate from the cyberzombie... OK, I'd accept it as a strict interpretations of the rules. But is there any other rule stating otherwise?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 05:33 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

They're as seperate from the cyberzombie as his firearm, sword, and clothing is. It just happens to be a weapon implanted into his flesh rather than holstered at his hip.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Aug 21 2004, 07:39 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Except that its paid for with essence like cyber eyes... and those dont count as equipment. Id allow them, he gets his other implants in astral combat like extra body dice from cyberlimbs. No real rules reference... but thats my ruling based on the context. Only for dual natured mind you, projection is a whole nother story.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Aug 21 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #12

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

It all comes down to where you believe the break in the text appears.
Use Melee combat rules (p. 120) to make attacks.

If you think the third paragraph applies to dual beings then Doc Funk is correct. Spurs are not astrally active therefore they can't be used. If however you believe that it is only in reference to the preceeding paragraph (about astrally projecting people) then you can use your spurs. Since the first paragraph is about dual beings and it says they use all normal attributes, skills and combat pools it seems a tad redundant to say you use the normal melee combat rules. What else would you be using your melee skills for? B/R tests maybe.

To further confuse the issue, the third paragraph states that you can be an adept who has sorcery to use in astral combat. Adepts can't project so the rules must apply to both paragraphs.

For the extra kicker, the damage tables list Unarmed, Armed with focus, dual being and spirit. For people without weapon foci, they would be making unarmed attacks so why is there a listing for dual beings? When you are dual natured you use STR instead of CHR for damage but why specify? When you are astral, you CHR becomes your STR so its always STR M damage. It also says by type. I think this is meant to apply to para critters but no distinction is ever made. So, by that logic you could use your Cyber Implant Combat but you would do STR M damage no matter what skill or weapon you were using.

Last but not least, under Astral interaction it states that while you are perceiving, you can engage in Astral combat using your skills and attributes. Physical weapons and worn armor are useless, only activated Foci or mana spells can harm an astral target.

My group has gone back and forth on the issue and thankfully it hasn't come up in quite a long time. Until something official comes down its up to the GM to make the call.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

[Dammit]

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
Except that its paid for with essence like cyber eyes... and those dont count as equipment. Id allow them, he gets his other implants in astral combat like extra body dice from cyberlimbs. No real rules reference... but thats my ruling based on the context. Only for dual natured mind you, projection is a whole nother story.

So you allow Eye Lasers, Cybershotguns, and the venom stored in a Venom Sack to affect astral forms, too, huh? And I guess Body Plating, paid for by the Essence of your cyberlimbs, applies in full against astral damage, too? Neat-o.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Aug 21 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

No you twit, thats not what I said. I said I allowed spurs. Im merely pointing out that just as you could classify it as a seperate weapon, you could classify it as paid with essence and part of the character. Dont extropolate it into something its not. Each of those items involves something obviously not internalized, that is much more clearly a seperate entity (laser, bullet, poison respectivly). Bonelacing, Spurs, Cycbereyes are the sort of interal implants that would make sense.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

I disagree. There is no difference. Cybernetic armor does nothing to aid against astral damage, and it's as close to being part of you as a pair of spurs are; metal strapped to your flesh and bones. At least an Eye Laser gets part of its power from your very Essence and has a better chance of being rationalized as part of you than some steel sticking out of your fingertips does.

Regardless, the rules are clear. Unless the weapon is a weapon focus, you use Unarmed Combat or Sorcery. Trying to get around that by claiming that the first paragraph is talking about dual-natured beings (where it just mentions "skill" not "Armed Combat Skill even if you lack a weapon focus, as clarified below") is a moot point -- mundanes can't engage in astral combat to begin with. The third paragraph clarifies the text in the first two.

But if you want to allow otherwise in your game, do so. Just don't try to make yourself feel better by claiming the rules support that decision. They clearly don't.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Aug 21 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #17

UMS O.G.

Hey Doc, whats your take on why the damage chart lists both an unarmed combat and a Dual being damage reference. What is the difference and what is the dual being using?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Because dual-beings get to use their Physical Attributes in astral combat, while an astrally projecting magician (who, believe it or not, can also engage in astral combat -- imagine that) does not. If the projecting magician doesn't have a weapon focus, they, too, get to choose to use Sorcery or Unarmed Combat to defend themselves.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 21 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #19

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Hey Doc, whats your take on why the damage chart lists both an unarmed combat and a Dual being damage reference. What is the difference and what is the dual being using?

Could you explain what you are referring to better? page reference?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 21 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

He's referring to page 176, "Astral Damage Codes." It's basically just reaffirming the fact that dual-beings get to use Strength in place of Charisma on their attacks.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 21 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #21

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Right, which is an exception to normal astral combat.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Aug 21 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

I didnt claim it... I even said "no rules reference" in my reply. Reading = good.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Aug 22 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #23

UMS O.G.

Again, why separate the two? Its still unarmed combat right? Why don't they just say unarmed combat STR M? And why is there a reference to "by type"? Of what? The only reason to separate the two is because different rules apply.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 22 2004, 01:23 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Because it's not (Strength)M under most circumstances. It's only (Strength)M when astral combat is engaged in by dual-natured beings and dual-beings are not the only ones capable of astral combat.

The comment of "by type" is just shorthand for "get it through your skull that dual-natured beings get to use their Strength score in astral combat." Or in other words, if they have a weapon focus and are weilding it in astral combat, dual-beings get to use the normal Damage Code for the weapon instead of (Strength)M like they do without a weapon or using Charisma like an astrally projecting mage would normally do.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Aug 22 2004, 03:52 AM
Post #25

UMS O.G.

The normal damage code is charisma. Any time a weapon focus is used in astral combat wether its by an astrally perceiving character or projecting its always charisma that determines the power of the attack. In any case that choice is already spelled out above the listing for dual being. Why repeat it, its the same on the physical or astral against astral targets.

What I'm saying is that the third paragraph gives three choices for PC's and one for spirits. Unarmed, armed with weapon focus or sorcery to replace either. If dual beings don't go by different rules then why are they on the table? Astral STR = physical CHR. The dual natured PC doesn't have a weapon focus so lets dump that option, he's not a spirit so lets dump that one also. That leaves two. Unarmed, and dual being. On the table, its makes zero reference to the status of the combatant. It just says unarmed. Why doesn't this apply to the dual being? By the letter of the rules in the third paragraph, he HAS to be unarmed (or using sorcery). So why doesn't the table just say Unarmed STR M? The text says dual beings use normal attributes and the third paragraph says you use normal melee rules which also says your unarmed melee damage is determined by STR. An astrally projecting character also uses their STR for astral combat. The stat is equal to their physical CHR. So why do they separate the two? Its the same thing.

The point I keep expecting someone to bring up is the section on astral interaction. The only one who has mentioned it so far is me. It says physical weapons are useless against astral opponents. They work on physically materialized astral forms and then a mundane or awakened person uses their CHR for damage. But that is neither here nor there. Trying to use spurs in combat would be like shadow boxing. All of your blows would be inches short of the mark. Same with swords or any other melee weapon. Your cyber or [bioware (except for attribute increases)] has no reflection on the astral plane. You lose the benefits of your cyber eyes even though you paid for them with essence. When you go dual natured, your vision mag only helps you see things close up in the physical realm. Tangent: how weird would that be to see a materialized elemental from 50 m on the astral and 5 cm on the physical? The best arguement lies in this section.

The astral combat section is vague at best. You can't assume that separate paragraphs always refer to everything above them (not in english at least). Then there is the repetion of rules (three times for the dual beings) and an incomplete or overcomplete table. Like I said, can you use cyber weapons, no. The skills, possible but very silly or at least a not without a huge target modifier. I would say no but I am not your GM.

Or settle it once and for all and ask shadowrun info.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 11:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.