Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hong Kong, looking for Info
prettz
post Aug 21 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,580

Is there any info on the city on Hong Kong in the Shadowrun books? Also is there anywhere where I can find a map of the Hong Kong metroplex?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 21 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Don't think there's even been a map printed of the Hong Kong 'plex, but it's gotten plenty of mentionings in books.

Brainscan, Portfolio of a Dragon, Blood in the Boardroom, Survival of the Fittest, Sprawl Survival Guide, Year of the Comet, I think all of those books have at least some info on Hong Kong. There's probably others too that I'm forgetting.

+Quote Post
littlesean
post Aug 21 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,359

For a map of Hong Kong, I would check Borders or any other decent bookstore in the travel section. Then take a marker to it and go nuts, or maybe not so nuts, depends on how you want your view of HK to be reflected.

+Quote Post
otaku mike
post Aug 22 2004, 09:41 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 332

Hong Kong (or Macao or Singapore for that matter) hardly qualifies as a "Metroplex". Being geographically limited by their location on a island or an isthmus, their development options are not limitless. So, there may be a lot of people there, but I won't call a city of less than 100 kmē a metroplex.
That to say, when you play in such place, have your players remember it's a small place, where people tend to remember other faces (or notice new ones) and everything eventually gets to the wrong ear...

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 22 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

It's a geographically tight city, but it's not really small. At least population-wise. Hong Kong has roughly 6.8 million people right now, compared to Boston's 5.8 million. But yeah, HK isn't a sprawl, in the common sense of the word. It tends to grow vertically, instead of grow across the land.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Aug 22 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #6

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

There's some bits and pieces about it in Dragons of the Sixth World, as well.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Aug 22 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

By the 2060s you would have building sticking out of the sea measured in the kilometer range.

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 22 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #8

Target

It figures that I only have one of those books mentioned (Year of the Comet) but I have some questions if they could be answered, thanks.

-Anywhere on-line I can get a map of the city?
-Is the city similar to Seattle in its standard of living or is it different?
-I'm figuring the triads own the place, but do other groups like the yakuza (sp?), the Rings and other underworld groups hold sway?
-Is their a war of somewhat between the groups for control (or even between the various triads)?
-Wuxing is probably the biggest game in town but anything on how the other AAA's treat or affect the City?
-What about the AA's who's who and how are they in the city?
-Does Lung take a major interest in the city or is it a passing thing, and what if any other dragons are part of the Hong Kong life?

+Quote Post
CyberPenguin
post Aug 22 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 1,955

QUOTE (prettz)
-Anywhere on-line I can get a map of the city?

Check out this URL:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshells/nort...g/hong_kong.htm

This is part of a larger site (Lonely Planet), you can find maps of many other parts of the world here as well as Hong Kong.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Aug 23 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

Hong Kong's Octopus Card is a great example of what a credstick should be like. Anonymous and Wireless, makes it faster than a credit card and yet as anonymous as cash.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Aug 23 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

That is exactly what a certified credstick is like other than the totally wireless aspect, which its weakest link to theft.

+Quote Post
Young Freud
post Aug 23 2004, 02:07 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,423

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Aug 22 2004, 08:40 AM)
It's a geographically tight city, but it's not really small.  At least population-wise.  Hong Kong has roughly 6.8 million people right now, compared to Boston's 5.8 million.  But yeah, HK isn't a sprawl, in the common sense of the word.  It tends to grow vertically, instead of grow across the land.

There's a possiblity that could change, especially if there's enough money thrown at it. The international airport at Chek Lap Kok was built on an island expanded using landfill at the expense of $20 billion and six years. The current size of Chek Lap Kok is approximately three times it's original size

It could be quite possible for that Hong Kong Island could expand to at least twenty percets it's current size by 2050-2060 using the same methods. I could see HK building some large corporate commerce center in the harbor, or building cheap residental housing on the shoreline, on top of some shoal of recycled materials.

BTW, I don't think finding a street map will help, unless it's for the major throughfares and highways and landmarks and government buildings. It's been said that HK, like Tokyo or perhaps any densely populated city, has an almost shifting urban landscape. A street might suddenly deadend or an pedestrian alley may now be a street opened to car traffic.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 23 2004, 05:39 AM
Post #13

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

I've got some information on Hong Kong culled from some of the books. Give me a couple days to get back home and recover and I'll post it. Also, if I remember rightly there was talk of Hong Kong getting a section in the possibly forthcoming Shadows of Asia. Not sure what the status of that book - still ongoing, scrapped, submission stage, being wrtitten etc. - is though.

Edit: And why is it threads like these, and ones on Hong Kong in particular, always seem to come up around GenCon? :/

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Aug 23 2004, 01:01 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

The HK Octopus card is an awesome card, I used it to buy stuff from vending machines, at some of the small stores located inside the metro stations and also for the various buses, trams, and ferry.

The buses are cool, they have the double decker buses and the smaller light bus that holds only sixteen people. But all of them (well it seemed like 95%) have small flat screen tvs that constantly bombard the passengers with ads, the RoADshow they called it... ;)

Hey Young Freud, you're correct in the speculations.
They are constantly working expanding outward from HK and the Kowloon side and the land are slowly moving towards each other in the land reclamation projects. That said, some of the taxi drivers are saying what used to take 20 minutes for the ferry to get across now only takes 10 minutes (or something sort like that). Actually I looked at one of the guide books and they stated this temple, Tin Hau station) that was several city blocks inside the HK landscape right by one of the metro stations used to be at the waterfront. My mom used to live in this one area on the Kowloon side (Tiu Keng Leng) that used to be a large harbour area) and it is has now been reclaimed and all sorts of developments are made.

There is currently some public outcry about the continuing expansion into the water that fills up the gap. You can use this for possible runs with environmentalists and corporations having runs for/against the expansion projects.
Additionally on the Kowloon side they are leveling the mountains so that they can have more land. I kid you not, it's a sight to see as they cart off the tons of dirt. When I visited Guangzhou six years ago, they were doing similar projects, driving by these projects are awesome (in terms of the construction/manpower and it makes the engineer in me all giddy. well, not really, but close. :P )

If you ever see the skyline, this city has a huge amount of skyscrapers, it's a great view since it's a double skyline, one on each side of the waters.

One cultural aspect of the city:
Most of the inhabitants of the city live in cramp apartments, many of them living with their folks until they are married whereupon they finally move out. Often times you meet your friends out for tea at the many diners/restaurants/etc... throughout the city. HK has one of the highest density of eating establishments I have ever seen. They hardly ever invite each other into their homes, only those who are really close and it's considered an honour. Other than that only those who have a nice large pad would consider inviting other folks.

HK is a modern city, but the average native HK person doesn't earn that much money as compared to the US equivalent, thereupon food and such is cheap for the local restaurants, but luxury items are really expensive.

One of the coolest sight to see is on the southern end of the island near Stanley, it is a very touristy spot, but there is an old british barracks that they had dismantled from the city and rebuilt there (but now houses restaurants instead of troops). There's a hotel built right by the mountain overlooking the coast, it has a large 'hole' in it. The reason is that local rumors is that there is a mountain spirit (dragon) that dwells in that particular mountian and the hole is to allow for that spirit a way pass the building. So remember folks, the whole geomancy stuff if VERY important in this city.

Man, I should take the time and write out what I've experienced of this place, there's just so much!

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 23 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I have heard that some of the government buildings are designed with geomancy in mind, not just the private civillian ones.

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Aug 23 2004, 01:21 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Of course, what thread on Hong Kong would be complete without a mention of film director John Woo. Check out the multitude of cop/triad action films made there.

As for Shadowrun, Dunkelzahn's Secrets: Portfolio of a Dragon had a good chunk of game info about Hong Kong as a location. Mostly characterisation and several distinct neighbourhoods, nothing as in depth as the original Seattle sourcebook. No maps though.

Shadows of Asia is currently a "work in progress" and will most likely include Hong Kong. But don't expect anything too soon. I'd reckon next year at the earliest.

Oh, and Lonely Planet is a great source for information to adapt for your campaign. Lots of flavour and detailed information if you've got the willpower to trawl through the data and add a little creative sweat.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Aug 23 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (toturi @ Aug 23 2004, 08:15 AM)
I have heard that some of the government buildings are designed with geomancy in mind, not just the private civillian ones.

A lot of the buildings are made with geomancy in mind. One particular building, you can see in the pictures with the jagged top that's all black, created a stir of controversy when it was built because of the bad feng-shui it had on the surrounding areas.

One building I saw in the Kowloon side which was really cool, I think it was a modest 40 story building, it had what looked to be a building/house/castle like structure at the top. It reminded me of something similar to the tv cartoon, gargoyles, or something like that. An excellent spot for a run similar to that one run in survival of the fittest. hehe.

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 23 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #18

Target

Wow, thanks for the replies there loaded with gems of info, please keep them coming.

I noticed that a couple of people bought up expansion projects, so the question is, would HK have expanded over the years or would city have remained the same size?

Also on the cultural side: How would HK have dealt with VITAS, UGE, Globinization, natural diasters and the other things that changed the world?

Note: The reason I'm curious is the characters in my game might become Company Man for Wuxing and they will be re-located to HK if they accept the position so I need a crash course in HK. Also theories and conjecture about all the questions are welcome and probably needed sense I doubt that my 1,001 HK questions are all answered in canon.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 23 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

You could always just have them assigned to some Wuxing site in the current area of the game or something. I'm sure that there are several sites along the Pacific coast, for example.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Aug 23 2004, 02:23 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (prettz @ Aug 23 2004, 09:04 AM)
I noticed that a couple of people bought up expansion projects, so the question is, would HK have expanded over the years or would city have remained the same size?

Also on the cultural side: How would HK have dealt with VITAS, UGE, Globinization, natural diasters and the other things that changed the world?

For the first question:
It depends on how the land shortage/price is for the city. If the population is not hit hard by the VITAS plagues and there is still a housing shortage there will be a need for more land space. It's usually easier for the corp to get the permits to buy the cheap mountain or fill in the waters and create new land than to buy up/out the residents of particular buildings and then demolish the building and then build their own stuff, especially in the high rent/commercial areas. Plus, for putting up in the new water or on the new mountains, the buildings you put up gives you magnificient views of the skyline... usually at the expense of the people you're blocking off... :D

Over the years, until there's a strong enough backlash, it could end up with the narrowing between the HK island and the Kowloon peninsula to the point where it's literally a stone's throw across. But if that is to happen, I can see lots of public and environmental backlash. Plus, it can be bad for certain businesses like tourist and shipping. The magnificient skyline view getting marred is bad for lots of businesses and the ever shrinking size of the channel is bad for the boats. As it is, I heard there is a noticeable increase in the water flow caused by the decreasing size (kinda like shrinking the pipe diameter would have an increase in water flowrate if you have the same volume of water coursing through). And shipping is a big business for the city of Hong Kong. There are large areas for the shipping terminals that you can see as you drive through the city (driving is another interesting venture, they drive on the left and they love the traffic circles... :|).

Oh, fun fact, the former airport that's located in Kowloon has now been converted into commercial space including a driving range (from what one of the brochures said, one of the largest indoor driving range in the world).

The city would easily expand in size especially in the Srun world with the turmoil in the rest of China and other parts of Southeast asia. I can see more refugees heading there for a relatively stable and successful, modern city.

The second part of the your question... hmmm... I'll have to think more on that.

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 23 2004, 05:31 PM
Post #21

Target

Bigity
"You could always just have them assigned to some Wuxing site in the current area of the game or something. I'm sure that there are several sites along the Pacific coast, for example."

Well the Corporate Download says that Wuxing takes it Company Men to HK so they can learn the "family way" or something similar to that. That being said I actually like the idea of re-location, I have used Seattle for a while and I think HK would be a good change of pace.

Also any idea on the first set of questions I mentioned earlier?

+Quote Post
MooCow
post Aug 23 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #22

Moo!!

Member No.: 424

Edit.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 23 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #23

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

On population, it's generally been the rule that VITAS and the like decreased the population so that they're only back up to current levels by the 2050/60's, unless it's mentioned a country or area was really devastated. At least that's what SoE worked from from what I can vaguely recall. Hong Kong's got a very good medical system that's equal to western equivalents from what I've read so whilst you've got this concentration of people, should balance out as it were.

One thing to keep in mind is that with China splitting apart into warlord states, I could see people trying to make it to Hong Kong or one of the more stable states. You've got a whole new set of Vietnamese boat people. Might get some from south east Asia but the books can't seem to make up their minds about that area.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 23 2004, 06:07 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (prettz)
Bigity
"You could always just have them assigned to some Wuxing site in the current area of the game or something. I'm sure that there are several sites along the Pacific coast, for example."

Well the Corporate Download says that Wuxing takes it Company Men to HK so they can learn the "family way" or something similar to that. That being said I actually like the idea of re-location, I have used Seattle for a while and I think HK would be a good change of pace.

Also any idea on the first set of questions I mentioned earlier?

Didn't recall that :)

+Quote Post
Nath
post Aug 23 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
On population, it's generally been the rule that VITAS and the like decreased the population so that they're only back up to current levels by the 2050/60's, unless it's mentioned a country or area was really devastated. At least that's what SoE worked from from what I can vaguely recall.

...which is not a very good idea since it's basically assuming population can't but grow. Demographs don't expect anything like two VITAS epidemics and find the populaton of most European countries will stay very close to what it is now (like, in the 60-65 millions range for both UK and France). Having that kind of numbers in SR is either ignoring VITAS or considering some changes in demographic trends (current fertility rates under 2 children per woman mathematically lead the population to decrease, extended longevity and immigration just balancing things). It just leave open the question of how much the flows of refugees can increase and how governments would handle it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.