Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If there are otaku, where are the miggers, Sounding board for new adept type
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,538

One of my players recently got her character geeked and needs a new runner. She came up with a new concept after a quick perusal of some internet resources. During her research she came across the following spell - VCR emulation.

VCR Emulation

Now this is clearly a custom spell and not canon, but it raised an interesting question. If there are magical deckers (Otaku), where are the magical riggers? Every other aspect of magic in SR apears to come in pairs:-

Spirits/Elementals
Nature&Man spirits/Insect Spirits
Toxic/Non-Toxic
Mages/Adepts
Hermetics/Shamans
Astral Plane/Matrix

If the VCR emulation is deemed a permissible spell how would it be implemented as an Adept ability? We have compared similar items in terms of game balance cost, these were Increased Reflexes and VCR cyberware, both of which have the same essence cost to install. So if we took the same powerpoint cost for Increased Reflexes and used it for the new power VCR Emulation it would cost

2.00 - Level 1 emulation
3.00 - Level 2 emulation
5.00 - Level 3 emulation

As to the general rules concerning this new type of adept, we were thinking of initial play-testing using the Adept of the Magician's Way archetype switching the Magic Point power for VCR emulation power.

Do any of you have some CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISM, better ideas or just a decent name? Migger (Magical Rigger) is starting to get on my tits.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 26 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I'd pick a different term to call it, first off.

But, assuming that Otaku are magical beings of any sort is quite a stretch, so I'm not sure the basis for the idea is even there.

Seeing how, by canon, things like the matrix and technology in general do not mesh well with magic, my feeling is that this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed.

If you want to be a rigger, play one. If you want magic, play a magician. If you want to be able to use magic, and drive well, be an adept with some power points dropped into improved skills.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 03:29 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

The interest we have in it is how the concept is trying to make magic and technology meet in the middle. Yes, tech and magic don't integrate, but this proposition doesn't either. It is using magic to alter the body to connect to tech.

From memory (I don't have Otaku rules to hand), otaku have to spend a priority pick on magic ability (although no non-matrix effects) and in IC they undergo "Deep Resonance" that is akin to meeting a totem.

Finally almost all adept powers have a cyber counterpart, why not push it a bit further? After all an adept's powers are based on their affinity with a type of behaviour pattern, why do all rev-heads have to be mundane?

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 26 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Don't go so far as to conclude otaku are magical. The investment, point-wise, in making an otaku has more to do with mechanical balance than with magical ability. Otaku are "supernatural", in that they are above the norm, but they aren't necessarily magical. And while technoshaman otaku certainly see the Deep Resonance experience as being much like meeting a totem, cyberadept otaku do not.

The mystery of exactly what makes someone an otaku is likely not going to be answered anytime soon.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Otaku are "supernatural", in that they are above the norm, but they aren't necessarily magical. And while technoshaman otaku certainly see the Deep Resonance experience as being much like meeting a totem, cyberadept otaku do not.

Hermatics don't see totems either, but I think the comparison still stands. If we drop all the additional fluff and get down to the core issue.

SR is nicely balanced in that almost every activity can be performed by both awakened and mundane alike, using mana or cyber. Just like cyber interfacing is split into Mind (Deckers) and Body (Riggers), magic is internal/external, mind/body, mage/adept.

If, in outlook on how they do their thing

Hermetics/Shamans = Otaku

then maybe

Adepts = Magical Riggers

Another approach could be that Magical Riggers can only use adept powers that directly mimic cybernetic enhancement (inc. Reflexes etc) and allow skill increasing powers to include the B/R skills. These guys are serious mech-geeks who love their toys and when they talk to them, they listen.

+Quote Post
tjn
post Aug 26 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
And while technoshaman otaku certainly see the Deep Resonance experience as being much like meeting a totem, cyberadept otaku do not.

Just like Hermetics don't see their magic coming from totems either.

Otaku are extremely analogous to magical characters.

Deep Resonance = Awakening
Cyberadepts = Hermetics
Technoshaman = Shamans
Living Persona = Astral Form
Sprites = Spirits
Submersion = Initiation
Echoes = Metamagic
Complex Forms = Spells
5 Channels = 5 Categories of Spells
Fading has simularities to Burning Out, but is not truely analogous

Add to the fact that there is no such thing as a Mage Otaku...

While we can not for certain say they are magical, I believe there is a very strong case utilizing inductive logic.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 26 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

But despite the analogous terms in the rule books, just as strong an argument can be made as to why otaku are not magical, because they don't display any evidence of being magical in the SR world.

In essence, there are those who think they are, and those who think they are not, and I doubt you're going to see a clear-cut answer either way.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 26 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

My feeling is, that if some kind of magic/tech integration was going to happen to make magical riggers, it would involve advanced magics, similiar to the rituals used for cybermancy. A way to use magic to force the body, or at least the brain, into a more "vehicle-like" state.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

But despite the analogous terms in the rule books, just as strong an argument can be made as to why otaku are not magical, because they don't display any evidence of being magical in the SR world.

Am I correct in thinking that in the creation rules Otaku are expressly forbidden from having any awakened abilities? The only other runners this line of thinking applies to is awakened characters who can only have one style of magic. Otaku interface to the matrix in a "magical" way, ie no cyberdeck. So their "magic" only works in mind and matrix.

On another note

Perhaps I've wedded you too closely to the idea that a migger would just be a form of adept. How would you implement a otaku-type character who connected to machinery instead of computers, instead of inherent "supernatural" abilities replacing a cyberdeck, they replace the VCR. And were Decker=Otaku=Magician-like, surely Rigger=Migger=Adept-like, where meta-magic/echoes relate to addtional VCR add-ons.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 26 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Not so magical when you recall the Program Carriers of SR1. They allowed Matrix access with just a datajack. Wasn't magical either.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Aug 26 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

I once made a custom adept power for a "mental adept" path called Vahicle Rapport:

Veichle Rapport

Cost: 1
Description: The adept has an innate ability to operate vehichles and his/her driving/piloting ability rivals that of many riggers.
Effects: Each level provides +1 to reaction and +1 to initiative while driving a vehichle, and each level beyond one costs double the preceding. The adept with this power has a control pool equal to half his/her magic plus the level of Vehicle Rapport. The adept must be physically driving the vehichle for this bonus to apply. The bonuses provided by Vehichle Rapport do not stack with any other reaction enhancements, including those from a VCR. Any vehichle test modifier that uses the rating of a VCR also uses the level of Vehichle Rapport, and adepts with Vehichle Rapport get a +1 bonus to their manuver score per level. In addition, each level of Vehichle Rapport adds one to a "Rapport Tally," which refreshes as the karma pool does. Rapport Tally points can be used to re-roll the results of a stress test at a rate of one point per re-roll, or it can lower the TN for a stress test, at a rate of -1 for every two points, to a minimum of 2.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 05:10 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bigity)
Not so magical when you recall the Program Carriers of SR1. They allowed Matrix access with just a datajack. Wasn't magical either.

A program carrier still requires a MPCP, it does not use a living persona. The MPCP program ratings are also directly limited by BODY, INT, etc.

Otaku and program carriers are as similar as my laptop is to a cyberdeck.

My feeling is, that if some kind of magic/tech integration was going to happen to make magical riggers, it would involve advanced magics, similiar to the rituals used for cybermancy. A way to use magic to force the body, or at least the brain, into a more "vehicle-like" state.

And just how much does it cost a seriously nerdy child who develops into a Otaku to directly interface with the matrix? They can independently connect their naked brain to an entirely different reality made up from billions of individual parts, but need little more than a datajack.

Why would you need cybermancy to "feel" a machine made from thousands of parts that are assembled in a similar manner to a body and are attached to you through a device that is specifically designed to generate human nerve impulses?

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Nice idea there GunnerJ, but that is just a good driver power with lots of additional sub-clauses not a rigger substitute.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 26 2004, 05:16 PM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

An AI can make an otaku out of any random metahuman. By all accounts, totems find magically able humans to greet (or the human calls to the totem, but something like that).

Deus had plenty of magically active banded to study magic. There is no evidence that it managed to create a single mage where magic did not previously exist. This indicates that magic is significantly unlike the neurological re-write that creates otaku.

Otaku can SURGE and gain simple magical ability. This SURGE is explicitly forbidden to already magical characters. I don't remember what happens when an AI overwrites a mage into an otaku.

As for the magical appearance of otaku, 99% of humans are non-magical (higher among deckers). Humans often fear what is beyond them, so 99% of humans are likely to fear magic. If you wanted to make an army in a setting where you can define the appearance of reality, you would get added benefit by making them appear to be magical to the scared mundane outsiders (deckers).

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 26 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Am I correct in thinking that in the creation rules Otaku are expressly forbidden from having any awakened abilities?

You are correct, but it is never said why. I helped write, or wrote, many of the otaku rules, and I know I always left it intentionally ambiguous. 8)

Otaku should seem magical, while never actually being explicitly said they are magical. This is deliberate, to show where the line blurs and how it is possible that science that isn't totally understood can seem as magical as magic is in the Sixth World.

Are otaku magical? Maybe, maybe not. ;)

Back to the original question, it is possible that there could exist an otaku-variant that revolved around rigging instead of decking. The main problem with it would be that rigging is much more hardware-intensive than decking, so many of the things otaku excel at by living in a purely software world, wouldn't extend to an otaku-rigger, which is still very dependent on the vehicle/drone it is controlling, which exists in a physical world.

EDIT: Herald brings up a point about some of the SURGE abilities, which otaku can get, but Awakened characters can not. Also consider that otaku have same decreased change of SURGE affliction that Albinos do, and there's nothing magical about albinos. :D

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Aug 26 2004, 05:18 PM
Post #16

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Botch)
Am I correct in thinking that in the creation rules Otaku are expressly forbidden from having any awakened abilities?

Otaku may not spend any build points on magic abilities, there is however one little "bug" in the rules: As unlikely as it may be: an Otaku-Character can SURGE and receive both the dual-natured flaw (inherent magical trait) and / or the astral perception trait (limited but actually magical activity)

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 26 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 6,580

Personally I don't think it is a good idea to create a magical rigger (or at least an obvious magical rigger) at this point because it doesn't seem that technology has advanced far for a good fusion between magical and technology.

It would probably be easier to use the otaku as a base to create a new kind of rigger. Look at the otaku as see the how they are like deckers and different, they use that as a template to create this new type of rigger. While I don't like the idea of a magical rigger I do think that the idea of a otaku version of a rigger is interesting provided it has an equally interesting story of its existence.

Either way the name should change. Perhaps name it puppet master or something similar, but translate it into a different language (german perhaps, why I don't know).

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 26 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

FOr those adepts who want to be riggers, I suggest forgoing the invasive VCR surgery and instead investing in a rigger protocol emulation module and a high-rating rigger control emulation utility, in a stripped-down bare-bones deck. Much cheaper and almost as efficient.

As for otaku, it is a given that mechanics-wise they are at least a parallel development to magicians, but that's as far as you can logically go.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Back to the original question, it is possible that there could exist an otaku-variant that revolved around rigging instead of decking. The main problem with it would be that rigging is much more hardware-intensive than decking, so many of the things otaku excel at by living in a purely software world, wouldn't extend to an otaku-rigger, which is still very dependent on the vehicle/drone it is controlling, which exists in a physical world.

I'm at a loss as to how rigging is much more hardware intensive than decking. Admittedly the essense cost for a VCR is massive, but where is the rest hardware?

Given that things such a RCD would still be needed to communicate with remote devices, surely the remainder of the hardware aspect comprises of a VCR to interface with the simsense signal generated by the rigger adaption fitted to the machinery. Doesn't this mean that they would be interfacing with a "software world" as well, but with most of the I/O done through the limbic system?

Autonav systems are described as adding their rating to your skill tasks as they include basic crash avoidance. Doesn't this mean that a riggers connection is more like start walking, sprint, dive left, turn head and point at target? Obvious the senses used are virtual, but so are the Otaku's and really, any cyber-sense that is not naturally posessed. So controlling a vehicle would be similar to posessing a new body. Moving around in physical world is something human have been practising for millions of years.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 26 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Admittedly the essense cost for a VCR is massive, but where is the rest hardware?

The remote devices the rigger is controlling. The vehicles, drones, security systems, etc. That's all hardware.

When an otaku is in the Matrix, it's all software, pretty much. Granted, actions like controlling slaves from the Matrix then touches into external hardware, but for a rigger they are all about that external hardware. Without a slave unit of some sort to control, whether it's a drone, vehicle, or security system, what is a rigger?

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 06:08 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (prettz)
Personally I don't think it is a good idea to create a magical rigger (or at least an obvious magical rigger) at this point because it doesn't seem that technology has advanced far for a good fusion between magical and technology.

With the level of cyberware and common connections to machine and building I reckon its on the cusp. I've always seen cybermancy as a welding torch in terms of joining magic and tech, we're looking more for a needle and thread approach. As to obvious, we want any "magical" affects to be unseen, hence tackling it from an adept point of view. The "magical" effects are going to be limited to nervous system/senses emulating machine parameters only, much like the Otaku.

It would probably be easier to use the otaku as a base to create a new kind of rigger. Look at the otaku as see the how they are like deckers and different, they use that as a template to create this new type of rigger. While I don't like the idea of a magical rigger I do think that the idea of a otaku version of a rigger is interesting provided it has an equally interesting story of its existence.

I wish I could, but I've always been a bit flumoxed by Otakus. If anybody has a nice suggestion for the rules, great, otherwise I think i'll have to jam it into the adept rules.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 26 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Botch)
Am I correct in thinking that in the creation rules Otaku are expressly forbidden from having any awakened abilities? The only other runners this line of thinking applies to is awakened characters who can only have one style of magic. Otaku interface to the matrix in a "magical" way, ie no cyberdeck. So their "magic" only works in mind and matrix.

But their point cost is listed under the Race category. Hence, they are not magical, but a different race (or as much of a different race as a Ghoul or Shapeshifter is).

~J

+Quote Post
Botch
post Aug 26 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Aug 26 2004, 07:02 PM)
When an otaku is in the Matrix, it's all software, pretty much.  Granted, actions like controlling slaves from the Matrix then touches into external hardware, but for a rigger they are all about that external hardware.  Without a slave unit of some sort to control, whether it's a drone, vehicle, or security system, what is a rigger?

Am I missing the point?

Deckers, Otaku, Riggers all live in the same world. Simulated reality, it just that a riggers simulation is very realistic.

The matrix is entirely made out of hardware, there is nothing that isn't hardware; it just has a software interface. Every effect produced in the matrix is ultimately generated by hardware.

The information feeds being presented to an Otaku and a rigger are the same surely, a simsense feed. As to what the sybolism actually relates to, surely it would harder to re-code a program symbolically than send a command at the speed of thought to increase the fuel feed to the engine by 50%.

Without matrix hardware to connect to, what is an Otaku?

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Aug 26 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

When something in one's mind snaps, and one decides that Otaku are some form of paranormal expression, rather than the result of an ASIST-driven re-encoding of human neural pathways and neurochemistry, does one immediately learn to disregard the fact that Otaku abilities are in no way impacted by the character's Essence and Bio Index ratings, and, in fact, it is very beneficial for Otaku to invest in augmentations, both to boost their mental attributes/hacking pool, and to compensate for their overall poor physical attributes?

I mean, seriously, no matter what type of magic you're practicing, or if you're a paranormal animal, Essence correlates very directly with degree of(at least initial) magic rating, potency of paranormal powers, number of power points, astral survival time, etc, etc...

Given that, I don't see how Otaku can be perceived as being a magical expression, and feel the need to interject the aforementioned every time someone suggests they are magical.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 26 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Am I missing the point?

Deckers, Otaku, Riggers all live in the same world. Simulated reality, it just that a riggers simulation is very realistic.

The matrix is entirely made out of hardware, there is nothing that isn't hardware; it just has a software interface. Every effect produced in the matrix is ultimately generated by hardware.

The information feeds being presented to an Otaku and a rigger are the same surely, a simsense feed. As to what the sybolism actually relates to, surely it would harder to re-code a program symbolically than send a command at the speed of thought to increase the fuel feed to the engine by 50%.

Exactly about the fuel feed to the engine. An otaku can reprogram things entirely in the Matrix, but a rigger, at some point, has to deal with something in the real world. A car, a drone, a security system, it's something that has its own attributes not connected to the virtual ASIST connection. How fast a car goes is based on the engine in it, not how fast the ASIST connection is.

VCRs have a lot less effect on a rigger's overall performance than the cyberdeck has on a decker's. There are many other factors to a rigger, like the stats of the vehicle, drone, or CCSS system. Those stats (speed, armor, weaponry, etc.) are going to be the same regardless if a normal rigger or some kind of otaku rigger were controlling it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.