> Aqua Samurai, New idea for a Sammy
Grimtooth
post Sep 23 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,430

Had an idea for a marine type sammy.

I created the character with SURGE rules and gave him natural gills. He also has an immunity to a natural poison.

The question is what cyber is good?

I bought the ultra sound sight and high frequency hearing. He also has flare comp and sound dampeners.

Will ultra sound work under water like dolphin or whale sonar?

What else is relevant?

The character won't be a deep water diver, though that could be a possibility. He'll mostly be a reef rat. shallow dives.

He has a degree in marine biology. His hobbies include underwater photography and shadowrunning :spin:

Also are there rules for multiple cyber arms? And would this add to his swimming speed?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 23 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Give him a dolphin steed and a short sword from Death himself.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 23 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Whatever you do, do not get bone lacing. It adds to your weight, and do get a weapon that works under water. Low light vision should help, ultrasound will help and remember to get Underwater Combat skill.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Sep 23 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Sarcasm not really appreciated

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 23 2004, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

It wasn’t a serious comment, but I wouldn’t call it sarcastic.

If you want serious comments, the Gyrojet pistol is your friend, as are Demolitions and limpet mines.

~J

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 23 2004, 02:40 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Yeah, Kage. Don't pick on sea-man! How would you like it if sea-man got all up in your face? Huh?
....sorry. That was uncalled for.

on a more useful note...Ultrasound should work fine underwater. It'll need to be recalibrated for the echo time underwater, but really it should work much better. It's range should be several times farther. You've got all the cyber I can think of as absolutely necessary for aqua-sam.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 23 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #7

On an even more useful note: It seems there should be cyber or nano ware similar to symbiotes (and maybe symbiotes could do this) that would facilitate the removal of nitrogen and other gasses from the body and help the person acclimate to different depths more rapidly.
Ooh, also the cold environment adaptation from, what was it, SOTA'63? Even tropical water shouldn't be uncomfortably hot, but cold water will be common.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Sep 23 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Thank you Moon-Hawk.

The only issue i can see is that he will be one BIG sonar echo out in the water.

Active ping going on all the time.

No other vision enhancers though as the ultra sound will only be used in deeper, darker water.

On the subject of the gyrojet. The seeker heads need a designator. Laser, micorwave, or radar. Which would work best in water? Can the designator be designd for Ultra sound? or would you a different colored laser for water?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 23 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Grimtooth)
On the subject of the gyrojet. The seeker heads need a designator. Laser, micorwave, or radar. Which would work best in water? Can the designator be designd for Ultra sound? or would you a different colored laser for water?

You know, I never really figured out why did people need to put seeker heads on their gyrojet rounds. You have one skill to lock on, another to shoot the damned weapon. I can understand if one guy has a designator and the other has the gun but...

I would recommend a gunlight on the gyrojet pistol.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 23 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

It isn’t full sonar by any stretch of the imagination, so while nonsubtle it’d probably take either someone looking for you specifically or someone in full paranoia mode to notice (or just a scientific vessel, those are annoyingly attentive).

For the seeker heads, a laser ought to work but at extremely reduced range. Seekers probably aren’t the best way to do it. Maybe some variant of the grenadelink to set up an airburst (waterburst) situation, since explosions underwater are so nasty.

~J

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 23 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #11

True. He would be actively pinging anytime he used it.
Low-light and thermo would also be useful. Low-light would be useful at anything below the surface and above absolute darkness. Thermo would be weird, but still useful in unconventional ways.
For the designator, definitely high powered laser. Ultrasound is not directional enough. You couldn't be sure it's following the right echo. Radar and microwave don't penetrate water well enough. Laser is the least of many evils. You'll need a high powered laser, and the range will be cut down, but it's your only option.
I'm not sure what color laser you'd want for water, probably still red, but I'm not sure.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Sep 23 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Alright i think i'll dump the seeker heads and the designator.

too complicated to worry about.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Sep 23 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Moon-Hawk you mentioned that the pc would still have to worry about depths and its affects.

When do the effects of depths set in?

When is nitrogen narcosis or oxygen toxcicty an issue?

What would be his maximum depth with only gills and a modified (for gills) wet suit ?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 23 2004, 03:14 PM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Depth effects start is from 0m by Canon.

When safe diving time is violated.

Max depth 15m.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 23 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #15

Official SR rules for diving are listed in, ummmm, cannon companion? I think? Somebody back me up on this?
The gills help a lot of these problems, but there is still risk when ascending too rapidly. It's pretty tough to descent too rapidly to actually risk being crushed, but very easy to ascent too quick. I was thinking it'd be cool if he had some cyber to help get the dissolved gasses out of his body when coming up so that he could go from a saturation dive to the surface without spending an hour and a half or more to do it.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 23 2004, 03:26 PM
Post #16

Canon Companion

With only gills, his max depth is only 15m.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 23 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #17

It's still deadly to come straight up from a saturation dive at 15m. I'm not sure how well the rules reflect this, though. Books at home.

+Quote Post
Botch
post Sep 23 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,538

Check out Cyberpirates! it has most of the info.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I don't think the frequency used by ultrasound is expressly stated so maybe you could use one associated with aquatic mammals.

IMO Oxy-rush nanites are the best for diving as they are unaffected by depth mods.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Sep 23 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

A few years back TSS did an article called "Seven Samurai" the last one was an underwater operator.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 23 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #20

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Cyberfins would be useful- also double as hand razors.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Sep 23 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

There is more stuff about deep sea in target:wastelands.

If there is a low temperature tolerance nanotech mod in sota 2063, otherwise I think any reasonable gm would let you invert the high temperature tolerance one.

Synthacardium and enhanced articulation would be good for some more swimming dice.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Sep 23 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #22

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

No, not many "reasonable" GMs would allow an inverted high-temperature tolerance. Why? Low-temp requires something to generate heat so you don't freeze to death. Thusly requiring energy. Thusly needing something to constantly put in "food" every time you went empty on energy-creation materials.

High-temp and low-temp are two vastly different things.

+Quote Post
GenoSicK
post Sep 23 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 6,669

If you consider that swimming is the same thing as running, Hydraulic jack would be a killer.

Trasnducer with a radio, so you'll be able to communicate.

Protectiv Covers for the eyes.

Maybe, alternatively, you can see with your gm to create someting equivalent to Kid Stealth's leg. With the same properties : +1 running (swimming) multiplier, +2 power for kick attack.
If you take that, I would recommend quickness enhancement. And you can place the hydraulic jack in it too. And magnetic cyberlimbs would be great on ship's hulls.

Extended volume would be good, mainly for the -3TN fatigues, allowing you to swim for a LONG time, and also for those moments when you HAVE to retain your breath.

Nictitating membrane, to get rid of those mask. (and that can replace protectiv covers)

Synthecardium, for the quick you want in speed.

Digestive expansion, for the fun of feeding with seaweed. :grinbig:

As I think again, the combo, synthecardium, "Kid Stealth", cyberfins, quickness enhancement and hydraulic jacks is the best you can do to swim the same speed you run.

OH ! And don't forget the edge Water Sprite (5 if possible).

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Sep 23 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #24

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (GenoSicK)
If you consider that swimming is the same thing as running, Hydraulic jack would be a killer.

Um, I'm not really seeing how having extendable legs would make you swim faster. :/

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Sep 23 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #25

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (GenoSicK @ Sep 23 2004, 10:10 PM)

Um, I'm not really seeing how having extendable legs would make you swim faster. :/

It would if they had giant flaps put on the end of them! :rotfl:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th September 2024 - 12:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.