Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Initiation, who can and who can't
ArianFaol
post Sep 27 2004, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,434

A problem popped up during my groups character creation. One of my players wishes to play a shamanist. And after much browsing we have come to the conclusion that there is no real info on who can and who can't get initiation.
of course not owning magic in the shadows is a bit of a minus here. but I get by on grimoire and awakenings.

So what are your takes on who can and who can not initiate ?
is there any official rule on it ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Sep 27 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

QUOTE (MitS pg 57)
Only Awakened characters (full magicians, aspected magicians and adepts) are capable of initiating.

So, a shamanist can definitely initiate, but if you don't have the MitS book, there's no way you should allow it as the GM.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Sep 27 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #3

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

I'd also be leery of granting initiations at character generation, unless you're playing a high(er) Karma game where the characters have supposedly been on a decent mess of shadowruns.

Anyway, as it has been said, any character who can use magic can initiate.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 27 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Except Cornish Bards!

+Quote Post
ArianFaol
post Sep 27 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,434

ok, lets add some information to this, the idea isn't to let the player initiate at generation. but as a SL I always talk with my players about where they wish to take their characters. That way I can get future plothooks for the group.

The initiation would have been run after the rules in the Grimoire. Does the rules in MitS differ greatly from the Grimoire ones ?

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 27 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 185

Yes. The biggest change is that you now only gain access to one metamagic at each step on the Initiation ladder. A number of other minor changes have been introduced but that's the biggest one.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Sep 27 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (ArianFaol)
ok, lets add some information to this, the idea isn't to let the player initiate at generation. but as a SL I always talk with my players about where they wish to take their characters. That way I can get future plothooks for the group.

The initiation would have been run after the rules in the Grimoire. Does the rules in MitS differ greatly from the Grimoire ones ?

A bit. Mainly in costs and starting levels.

Grimoire: 6 + next level, starting at 0.
MitS: 5 + next level, starting at 1.

That's base cost right there. Multipliers are as follows.

Self: x3
-with Ordeal: x2.5
Group: x2
-with Ordeal: x1.5

Simple as that.

Oh, and in 2nd, you got all Metamagics when you Initiate the first time. Period. In 3rd, you have to take them one at a time.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Sep 28 2004, 02:29 AM
Post #8

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Does the rules in MitS differ greatly from the Grimoire ones ?

Yes. In addition to what's been said: grade zero is gone; initiating gives you the option of shedding a geas, gaining a magic point and changing your astral signature, or gaining a magic point and possibly learning a metamagic. There is now more reasons to continue to initiate, which IMO is a very good thing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.