Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initiation, who can and who can't
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ArianFaol
A problem popped up during my groups character creation. One of my players wishes to play a shamanist. And after much browsing we have come to the conclusion that there is no real info on who can and who can't get initiation.
of course not owning magic in the shadows is a bit of a minus here. but I get by on grimoire and awakenings.

So what are your takes on who can and who can not initiate ?
is there any official rule on it ?
Sphynx
QUOTE (MitS pg 57)
Only Awakened characters (full magicians, aspected magicians and adepts) are capable of initiating.

So, a shamanist can definitely initiate, but if you don't have the MitS book, there's no way you should allow it as the GM.

Sphynx

Pistons
I'd also be leery of granting initiations at character generation, unless you're playing a high(er) Karma game where the characters have supposedly been on a decent mess of shadowruns.

Anyway, as it has been said, any character who can use magic can initiate.
Ancient History
Except Cornish Bards!
ArianFaol
ok, lets add some information to this, the idea isn't to let the player initiate at generation. but as a SL I always talk with my players about where they wish to take their characters. That way I can get future plothooks for the group.

The initiation would have been run after the rules in the Grimoire. Does the rules in MitS differ greatly from the Grimoire ones ?
Synner
Yes. The biggest change is that you now only gain access to one metamagic at each step on the Initiation ladder. A number of other minor changes have been introduced but that's the biggest one.
Tanka
QUOTE (ArianFaol)
ok, lets add some information to this, the idea isn't to let the player initiate at generation. but as a SL I always talk with my players about where they wish to take their characters. That way I can get future plothooks for the group.

The initiation would have been run after the rules in the Grimoire. Does the rules in MitS differ greatly from the Grimoire ones ?

A bit. Mainly in costs and starting levels.

Grimoire: 6 + next level, starting at 0.
MitS: 5 + next level, starting at 1.

That's base cost right there. Multipliers are as follows.

Self: x3
-with Ordeal: x2.5
Group: x2
-with Ordeal: x1.5

Simple as that.

Oh, and in 2nd, you got all Metamagics when you Initiate the first time. Period. In 3rd, you have to take them one at a time.
Cain
Does the rules in MitS differ greatly from the Grimoire ones ?

Yes. In addition to what's been said: grade zero is gone; initiating gives you the option of shedding a geas, gaining a magic point and changing your astral signature, or gaining a magic point and possibly learning a metamagic. There is now more reasons to continue to initiate, which IMO is a very good thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012