IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Karma & Money balance, just curious...
Greedi
post Oct 1 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,719

How much do you usually give karma and money from missions? and how much those missions take time?

and sorry for my bad english :(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 1 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Depending on difficulty I typically give between ¥30 and ¥120 total to a team; I've not yet given a job taking longer than a week and a half, many of them are fairly quick but rushed. For karma, I generally award between 4 and 8.

~J

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Oct 1 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #3

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Er, you mean 30-120 :nuyen: or 30-120 K :nuyen: ? If you're paying 120 for a week-long job, your guys must all have big Day Jobs to pay rent, yes? :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 1 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Er, I mean k¥ :oops:

And here I am ranting about how the SRComp prices are low, sheesh!

My runs often cost ¥10k-20k to complete successfully (at the upper range, of course), though.

~J

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Oct 1 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Depends on the mission and type for me, but I like to assign a flat amount and then let the runners deside how to split it up.

For their last run:

Act as bodygaurds for a courier to make the drop-off and pick-up of a hostage exchange of a top corp executive. 30k + 10k bonus if they could manage to get the money back used for the exchange.

They managed to pick-up an extra 10k as well because they turned over the money without taking it.

Was only a 2-runner show instead of our usual 5.

3 total - 1 each for their legwork/tactical planning, 1 for the mission and 1 bonus for doing some cool stuff on the run. ;)

+Quote Post
Puck Wildhorse, ...
post Oct 1 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,624

We typically get offers of 4K to 20K :nuyen: per player depending on the run. Often times, we'll do an investigation for a fairly low amount (4K-6K) and once the investigation is completed, we'll get another offer (8K to 20K) to capture/kill/extract/whatever the subject of the investigation.

Typically we'll each get 2 to 4 karma per run, with more for roleplaying, humor, leadership, tactical thinking, followership, etc.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 1 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Our team is pretty darn high powered, and we generally get around 40-100k each per run, which are of course non-trivial. Maybe about 6-15 karma. That's for typical runs that take maybe two or three sessions to complete.

On top of that there are often added bonuses or unforseen gains as well, so the actual payment is sometimes much higher.

It depends on your level of play, but if you tend to pay your characters very little you have to bear in mind the much banded about idea that they could probably make more money doing something else in their line (e.g. the decker could just write programs all day and sell them, then go on the odd datasteal just to get his adrenalin fix; the mage could spend months making Oricalcum, warding offices, or whatever).

On the other hand, even with a team that starts out quite high level, like ours did, if you advance TOO fast then you'll have everything you want all too quickly, which is no fun either.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Oct 1 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

When i award Karma it tends to be aourn the 4-8 mark. 1-2 For threat, upto +2 For accomplision of mission objectives. Then you got to add in Roleplay awards as well which is normally +2 (Roleplay and good idea) With bonus's for Exceptional roleplay and humour.

Money wise about the 5-20K mark, though i have given my players 100K plus for some missions and as little as 1K plus a favour owing for others.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Oct 1 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Average game (not run or adventure): 4 Karma and 40,000 per person. By the time we get 100 Karma, that's a million nuyen each. Crime pays. ;)

This doesn't mean at the end of every game we rake it in big, it means that at the end of an adventure (4 to 5 gaming sessions) we can usually cash in at about 200k and 20 karma each.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Liquid_Obsidian
post Oct 1 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 5,775

Yup , guys

'round 12-15 k¥ for a 2-3 days courier runs and karma depends (4-5 pts usually)
wetwork pays 14-20k¥ 3-4 kpts
extraction (willing ppl) 14-16k¥ 5-6kpts (well they usually wants to get out for some good reason nah ?)
extraction (unwilling ppl) 18-22k¥ 4-5 kpts
well ,for karma, that's my ground base , i add boni for good rp , ideas that kinda stuff
for bonus cash their's always one hidden thing or two too loot besides the usual predator..

That's not so high since my players usually screws a run out of two... :dead: :D

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 1 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

That each or group total?

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 2 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #12

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

ONE DOLLAR!

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Oct 2 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #13

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Depends on the GM and the run. Usually under T we do more non-combat thinker styles (mixed with very, very powerful metaplot) so we tend to get karma and cash out the wazoo (or "gifts" from the people we just worked for, depending).

Under M we get a lot of combat, so mostly cash to pay for hospital time (if any) and a bit of karma to burn on stuff. Average difficulty, so average payout.

T: Anywhere from 50k for the group to 1mil for the group and 10-15 karma.
M: Anywhere from 40k to 60k and ~12 karma.

+Quote Post
Mr. Woodchuck
post Oct 2 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,102

how many people here use a fair share system. a.ka. every one get X karma and an equal share of the loot, and how many use an individual system for rewards. Having played under each different type of system and some hybrids, I was wondering what other people used and how it effected their games?

+Quote Post
Just Jonny
post Oct 2 2004, 03:46 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,308

I like to vary threat level and rewards a lot in my games. Typically, we go about 10-30K each for the PCs, with most jobs requiring about a week to accomplish. Karma-wise, I use a team award based on objectives completed/plot lines taken care of, with individual bonuses, usually for a combination of roleplaying and accomplishments. Usually, I offer 3-5 in team awards, and another 2-3 in individual rewards. If a PC screws up real bad they may talk their way out of the individual reward, and just get what their buddies earn them, but that's only happened twice. Most times, the group does about two runs a month (game time), but we've had our share of 3 month vacations where we wait for PCs to get out of the hospital.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 2 2004, 05:33 AM
Post #16

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Home campaign, once a week, for almost 5 years:

I observe that in game, our characters generally turn down a run if (a) it sounds appropriately challenging to them and (b) it pays less than 1000 nuyen per point of Karma Pool (double for metahumans) to each character. They are happy with the pay offered if it is double this amount.

They may take a run for less if it doesn't sound challenging, or if they feel like being "Robin Hood". They will turn down runs that are too challenging for the money. ("You want us to go back into Renraku? No way!")

Karma awards average about 3 Karma per 8 hour day of play. More successful play (roleplaying or tactics or strategy or luck) will boost the Karma award slightly. Our typical adventure takes us one to three weeks.

With the numbers above, a player in his first year in our group might complete 25 adventures and have his character earn 250,000 :nuyen: to 500,000 :nuyen: total (before expenses and lifestyle), along with 150 Karma.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 2 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Mr. Woodchuck)
how many people here use a fair share system. a.ka. every one get X karma and an equal share of the loot, and how many use an individual system for rewards. Having played under each different type of system and some hybrids, I was wondering what other people used and how it effected their games?

I hand out Karma pretty evenly, although I do give out the odd individual bonus on occasion. All Karma awards are given in private.

As to :nuyen:, I give a lump sum to the party as dictated by the task at hand. How they divvy it up is of no concern of mine, so long as the NPCs under my control (if any) get what's coming to them.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Oct 2 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #18

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

I pay a lump sum out, regardless if theres 3 pc's or 30. A job is only worth so much, no matter how many friends you bring to the meet.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 2 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #19

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Shadow -- When there are 10 PCs at the meet, or highly skilled characters at the meet, then I change the run to make it more difficult to accomplish, and change the description of the run to make it sound more difficult. Therefore the Johnson is willing to pay more, and everyone gets challenged and everyone who survives gets paid.

I met one team that didn't want a 'lump sum payment', because that would give team members a reason to kill each other.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 2 2004, 09:51 AM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (OurTeam)
When there are 10 PCs at the meet, or highly skilled characters at the meet, then I change the run to make it more difficult to accomplish, and change the description of the run to make it sound more difficult. Therefore the Johnson is willing to pay more, and everyone gets challenged and everyone who survives gets paid.

All of which just means that the 'lump sum payment' offered by the Johnson is that much higher, considering the scope of the job at hand. Its all related.

The Johnson doesn't give a rat's ass how the team splits the money! Whether the team leader takes half and then divides the rest between his lackeys or not is of no interest to him. He is there to offer X nuyen for X job, not to sooth the paranoid delusions of a bunch of antisocial psychopaths.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Oct 2 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #21

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

I usually pay a lump sum to the group and let them divide it up. If it splits evenly, it is usually around 10k to 25k nuyen each.

For karma, this probably wouldn't work for most groups, but it does for mine: I go around the table and ask how much each person thought the run was worth. After finding a base (usually something in the low-middle range), I go around again and ask how much additional karma each person deserves for their roleplaying/planning/etc, not including themselves..

"Jack, how much additional do you think Jed earned this session?"

Usually it comes to a total of between 5 and 9 karma.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 3 2004, 03:09 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

One thing you need to address is how long the game sessions involved are. In general (back in the halycon days when I played games) we got around 3/4 a point of karma for an hours game time. This mean that a 3-4 hour session would get 2-3 karma while a 12 hour long gaming marathon would net around 9 karma.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.