Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thrown 'nades and such
BewilderedGM
post Oct 2 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,892

In my game minigrenades, explode on impact. But thrown grenades doesnt untill the throwers next ini phase.

My players are beginning to have problems with the npc's starting to throw the nades back at them now. Obviously they wanna work around that by timing it so that doesnt happen.
Any suggestions on that?
(I make the npc-s make a Quickness [8] test to grab the nade to return to sender)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 2 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #2

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

A fast samurai can Delay Action till late in an initiative pass, and then throw the grenade. It'll go off on his action (early, because he's fast) of the next pass. The opponents will have less time to toss it back unless they too have Delayed Action.

A slow character can Delay Action till the last initiative pass. It'll detonate at the end of the Combat Turn.

If you want, you can let your players figure these out. They'll be proud of themselves when they do.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 2 2004, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Get a BF capable GL that fires air timed grenades and lay some real smackdown.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 2 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

There's no reason thrown grenades (or any other type) would not have a variable timer, as well as a switch to choose between timed and impact detonation. If not as standard, surely some company (read Ares) would develop such tech for their own use, if not for general consumption.

+Quote Post
Dakhran the Dark
post Oct 2 2004, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 80

Actually, Cannon Companion already has rules for picking up a bouncing thrown grenade, on pg. 107. It's Quickness ( 8 ) for mini-grenades, Quickness ( 6 ) for standard sized grenades. If the fool...err, brave soul attempting it fails to get a success, they're at Ground Zero. If they get it, they still have to throw it...

It also says that grenades detonate on the character's next Initiative Pass, not at the end of turn. My crew has taken to throwing grenades on their second-to-last pass, hoping that the enemy has run out of passes...although anyone can still move (walk or run) on any Initiative Pass, so they may only just flush them out of cover. Still, that's not entirely disappointing... :)

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 2 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

For damaging grenades we seem to almost exclusively use air-timed minigrenades. Regular ones just allow people too much time to move out of the way or throw them back, and it's more often at the start of a combat turn you want to lay them out rather than at the end. BF air-timed minigrenade launchers akimbo is just too much destructive power to be missing out on. However, if you are using regular ones..

As well as setting them to detonate on impact or running the timer down first, a few other tricks you could try are:

Throw an IR smoke grenade at the same time or just before. If they can't find the grenade they can't throw it back!

When you're already being stealthy, particularly in dark areas, it might occasionally be worth casting Stealth on the grenade and then throwing it among your targets. Then they won't hear it bouncing around until it's too late.

Throw a WHOLE bunch of grenades at once, Fulltime Killer stylee. Either have all of them primed when you do, or just one. :)

Attach them securly to something big and heavy, like a metahuman body, then prime and drop it on your victims.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 2 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #7

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Grenades can be set to explode on impact. BBB p.282

Just don't drop them when they're primed!

+Quote Post
BewilderedGM
post Oct 2 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #8

Target

BBB ?

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 2 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Big Black Book. It's what some people call the main rulebook for Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
BewilderedGM
post Oct 2 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #10

Target

oh... <----n00b

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Oct 2 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

slightly off-topic. where does the term 'nades come from? for some reason it always annoys me, but for no good reason.

thrown grenades can be timed, radio detonated or explode on impact, by the BBB as far as i know

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 2 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Grenades. If you mean who was the person that shortened the name, I haven't got a clue.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Oct 3 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #13

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
slightly off-topic. where does the term 'nades come from? for some reason it always annoys me, but for no good reason.

thrown grenades can be timed, radio detonated or explode on impact, by the BBB as far as i know

I hear you Fygg, it annoys the crap out of me. I first heard the term in use on BF1942 and it annoys me more and more. It is a grenade. Not a nade.

Set them to detonate on impact, problem solved.

+Quote Post
Dissonance
post Oct 3 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,992

Set them to detonate on impact, problem solved.

It's a good idea, sure. Unless you get shot and have to make a knockdown test. Ouch.

Of course, you could set it just before you throw it, but that'd take another action, I reckon.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 3 2004, 01:55 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

unless you're running around with a primed grenade in your hand, that's pretty unlikely.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Oct 3 2004, 03:59 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Sorta related to the topic, does anyone have rules for rolling a grenade as opposed to throwing one? Or how one handles other setups like chucking a grenade backhand around a doorframe, or dunking it into a window, for example?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 05:56 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Technically, for a little extra nuyen, grenades should be available that will prime/alter settings via the Smartlink Induction Pad. This is not to say that any sort of bonus to the to-hit TN would be granted (a case can be mad both for and against this), but the technological knowhow would be available for this to be done relatively cheaply.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Voran)
Sorta related to the topic, does anyone have rules for rolling a grenade as opposed to throwing one?  Or how one handles other setups like chucking a grenade backhand around a doorframe, or dunking it into a window, for example?

To answer your question, I would think that all of that is already incorporated into the Throwing roll itself. Grenades invariably bounce around anyway (unless set to explode on impact/air-burst :P), which is what the system is meant to reflect in the first place, so I don't think any further complications need to be put on the actual mechanics.

That being said, if Joe Bob was trying to throw a grenade through a six-inch hole in the flyscreen on the window of a house 25 meters away while lying prone in a ditch with heavy automobile traffic flowing between him and his target, all bets are off and I'll be sure to add a few small modifiers. ;)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 3 2004, 06:06 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

That's when Complementary Skill: Baseball(Pitching) comes in real useful

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 3 2004, 07:55 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i usually allow people to toss grenades less than a meter with no roll, by using the 'drop object' free action.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 3 2004, 08:11 AM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Shadow)
I hear you Fygg, it annoys the crap out of me. I first heard the term in use on BF1942 and it annoys me more and more. It is a grenade. Not a nade.

I'm not much of a fan, but grenade is one syllable too long and gren just doesn't sound right.

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Oct 3 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Then use "frag" for fragmenting handgrenades.

Unless "nade" is actually in common use in the military. I guess it's pretty much their right to choose the monosyllabic nickname for grenades.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Oct 3 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

True enough. Heh, though on some level, I start thinking, "Just how lazy have we gotten with language anyway?" At what point do you go, "Yknow what? Its way too long for me to say 'grenade'. How about we just call it a nade?"

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 3 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Horseless carraige, automobile carraige, automobile, auto, motor car, car...

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Oct 3 2004, 10:33 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

"ya know dave, I am just to damn lazy to spell "at". I wish someone would just shorten it man. Does nobody care about my plight!"

what about some texan that needs one

"jim bob I nade a 'nade"

on topic again, i'd allow smartlinking the timer and the like, for a small fee.

what about them aerodynamic grenades. they have those IRL?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.