IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral projection and focus theft
What happens when you're astrally projecting with active foci, and a focus is removed from your physical body?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 40
Guests cannot vote 
Jason Farlander
post Oct 6 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,323

Pretty self-explanatory... what happens when a focus is physically removed from your body while projecting. Note: the delay I would potentially envision would be equal to the amount of time at fast astral speeds it would take for the aura to reach the focus' physical location.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 6 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,682

The delay is an interesting idea... but I still feel that it'd simply stay until you came back, because it'd be effectively the same as moving someone's body while they're projecting. Raises some interesting issues about what happens when the gear comes "home" though... :: grins ::

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Oct 6 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #3

Jesus Freak

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,274

You shouldn't have put 42 in there man. I couldn't resist. :)

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 6 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

I almost hit 42 as well. :: grins ::

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 7 2004, 01:45 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,295

I'd say it stays, I guess sort of till you get "home", but since it's still bonded wouldn't it stay with you even if you projected again?

+Quote Post
Zenmaxer
post Oct 7 2004, 03:08 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

I just can't see any reason to justify it disappearing, either in the rules or the canon fluff.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Oct 7 2004, 03:13 AM
Post #7

Running Target

The reason that option is up there is the existence of this rule:

QUOTE (SR3 pg 190)
Once activated, a focus continues to operate as long as it is on the owner's person, be it worn, carried, hand-held, or in a pocket or pouch.  If the focus is snatched away or dropped, it immediately deactivates and all benefits are lost until it is recovered and reactivated.

So... the real question here is whether the presence of the astral form of the focus in close proximity to the astral "body" counts as fulfilling that rule.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 7 2004, 03:42 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I think the actual wording of Foci and how they pertain to Astral Projection is important. I believe (going from memory) that it says 'the Astral Form of a Focus accompanies a projecting mage' or something like that. Just because something accompanies someone, that doesn't mean it remains with that person. Money usually accompanies me, but I rarely retain it for long.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 7 2004, 04:10 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Definitely 42.

~J

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Oct 7 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Glad im not the only one that saw 42 and thought "why not" :D

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Oct 7 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Zenmaxer @ Oct 6 2004, 11:47 PM)
The delay is an interesting idea... but I still feel that it'd simply stay until you came back, because it'd be effectively the same as moving someone's body while they're projecting.  Raises some interesting issues about what happens when the gear comes "home" though... :: grins ::

I'm tempted to say that too.

But with fetish description it explicitly states you have to be in physical contact with the fetish, so that makes me lean toward fetishes getting yanked free from your astral body if your meatbody isn't in contact with the fetish. Not sure there is language like that for foci?

This is a tough call. Hmm, i might just have to follow the herd to #42. :P

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Oct 7 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #12

Running Target

You know... I really didnt expect that option to generate as much information loss as it has. Oh well, I have learned my lesson about providing absurd response choices to the people of this board.

Anyway

It looks like the instant disappearance people are the winners, though I would like to hear what the person who voted "other" believes would happen in this case - I thought I did a reasonably good job of presenting the canonically-viable options

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 7 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #13

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Money usually accompanies me, but I rarely retain it for long.

Just about the best analogy ever! You rock.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.