Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astral projection and focus theft
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jason Farlander
Pretty self-explanatory... what happens when a focus is physically removed from your body while projecting. Note: the delay I would potentially envision would be equal to the amount of time at fast astral speeds it would take for the aura to reach the focus' physical location.
Zenmaxer
The delay is an interesting idea... but I still feel that it'd simply stay until you came back, because it'd be effectively the same as moving someone's body while they're projecting. Raises some interesting issues about what happens when the gear comes "home" though... :: grins ::
Ecclesiastes
You shouldn't have put 42 in there man. I couldn't resist. smile.gif
Zenmaxer
I almost hit 42 as well. :: grins ::
paul_HArkonen
I'd say it stays, I guess sort of till you get "home", but since it's still bonded wouldn't it stay with you even if you projected again?
Zenmaxer
I just can't see any reason to justify it disappearing, either in the rules or the canon fluff.
Jason Farlander
The reason that option is up there is the existence of this rule:

QUOTE (SR3 pg 190)
Once activated, a focus continues to operate as long as it is on the owner's person, be it worn, carried, hand-held, or in a pocket or pouch.  If the focus is snatched away or dropped, it immediately deactivates and all benefits are lost until it is recovered and reactivated.

So... the real question here is whether the presence of the astral form of the focus in close proximity to the astral "body" counts as fulfilling that rule.
Fortune
I think the actual wording of Foci and how they pertain to Astral Projection is important. I believe (going from memory) that it says 'the Astral Form of a Focus accompanies a projecting mage' or something like that. Just because something accompanies someone, that doesn't mean it remains with that person. Money usually accompanies me, but I rarely retain it for long.
Kagetenshi
Definitely 42.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
Glad im not the only one that saw 42 and thought "why not" biggrin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Zenmaxer @ Oct 6 2004, 11:47 PM)
The delay is an interesting idea... but I still feel that it'd simply stay until you came back, because it'd be effectively the same as moving someone's body while they're projecting.  Raises some interesting issues about what happens when the gear comes "home" though... :: grins ::

I'm tempted to say that too.

But with fetish description it explicitly states you have to be in physical contact with the fetish, so that makes me lean toward fetishes getting yanked free from your astral body if your meatbody isn't in contact with the fetish. Not sure there is language like that for foci?

This is a tough call. Hmm, i might just have to follow the herd to #42. nyahnyah.gif
Jason Farlander
You know... I really didnt expect that option to generate as much information loss as it has. Oh well, I have learned my lesson about providing absurd response choices to the people of this board.

Anyway

It looks like the instant disappearance people are the winners, though I would like to hear what the person who voted "other" believes would happen in this case - I thought I did a reasonably good job of presenting the canonically-viable options
Adarael
Money usually accompanies me, but I rarely retain it for long.

Just about the best analogy ever! You rock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012