> Few 'Way of the Gun' questions.
Everfast
post Oct 15 2004, 04:41 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,766

Hi all, my first post so be kind.

I am developing a Way of the Gun adept and have a few questions.

Firstly, for the Quick Draw simple action (not adept power), I think it describes a character as being able to draw and fire (assuming you get the dice). Logically, would you say that you can draw and perform the aim action instead of firing? I don't think it specifically allows this (could be wrong), but it stands to reason.

Secondly, What are some of ye olde GM's feelings about the Aptitude (Combat Skill) Edge? I know there is a specific caveat in the description about them, but I was basically thinking of using a revolver, and having that natural ability seems more fitting than say, slapping a laser sight on there (something I'd prefer not to do). Same advantage as a LS but more cost for the edge. Would you allow it?

Finally, for the 3 point Quick Strike power from MitS (awesome power btw), it specifically states that your character must be unwounded. One could argue that if the character has pain resistance, the wound should not affect the ability (assuming you are below the threshold but still injured). What do you think?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Oct 15 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

1) No way in hell! It's quickdraw not quick aim.

2) Perhaps, but if the player took a smartlink or something I'd make em lose it.

3) I'd say that if you didn't suffer a TN mod from the wound then it works.

+Quote Post
Everfast
post Oct 15 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Target

Well, as I understand it, you have this combo Simple Action of drawing the weapon (with a test), and also being able to fire it with no penalty already. I would imagine a certain amount of aiming happens subsequent to the firing anyway (not to level of achieving any modifier however). SO, instead you might have a combo Simple Action of drawing the weapon (with a test), and instead of briefly aiming and then firing, just keep aiming. You could then fire on your next Simple Action (with -1 TN) or keep on aiming. It doesn't seem unreasonable.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

On #3, I'd say it doesn't work (which is, incidentally, the canon interpretation). Even if it isn't affecting you enough for TN mods, it's still probably enough to keep you from acting faster than the guy with Initiative higher than God.

~J

+Quote Post
grendel
post Oct 15 2004, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 284

Actually, drawing a weapon is a simple action. If you want to quickdraw, you need a compatible holster and to make a reaction (4) test. One success is enough for you to clear the weapon without having to spend an action. This means that you have your normal 2 simple/1 complex available to you. You can spend them however you like (aiming, firing, etc.) All the adept power does is eliminate the test.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Nope. You don't need a special holster (though you get +2 TN for lacking the proper holster), and it rolls Ready Weapon and Fire into the same Simple Action.

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 15 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

The actual text states that it lets you "draw and immediately fire as a simple action" not "draw as a non-action." The adept power lets you apply the test to non-gun-like weapons, such as claymores.

SR3, page 107. Without a quickdraw holster, the TN goes up 2. So most adept uses of special quickdraw are at a TN of 6.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i allow people to quickdraw and aim instead of fire. to paraphrase canid13, it's quickdraw, not quickshoot.

+Quote Post
Everfast
post Oct 15 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
On #3, I'd say it doesn't work (which is, incidentally, the canon interpretation). Even if it isn't affecting you enough for TN mods, it's still probably enough to keep you from acting faster than the guy with Initiative higher than God.

~J

Yeah, I guess I can agree with that. It IS a pretty powerful ability. I suppose a drawback is in order. But how about a stun/mental 'wound'? I'm not sure if the terminology carries over to that track or not.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 15 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: I'm in Hell! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! (A.K.A Alabama)
Member No.: 6,739

Sure it does. Just because your arm isn't bleeding dosn't mean it's not hurt. Same goes with your face, chest, and other body parys.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Oct 15 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (mfb)
i allow people to quickdraw and aim instead of fire. to paraphrase canid13, it's quickdraw, not quickshoot.

Agreed; besides, there's always the classic intimidation action (snap draw the gun so your victim is staring down the barrel in a 1/4 second*, then ask him the question again...)

*And yes, that's an achievable speed ;) In the heyday of the quickdraw (ie, the latter half of the 19th century in America), you weren't even considered fast unless you could draw and shoot in under half a second and hit what you were aiming at. In latter days, I saw a quick-draw artist as a guest on the Paul Daniels Magic Show when I was a kid - he drew and popped two balloons with the wad from his blank shots so fast that they had to re-run it on slow-mo for you to actually see that it was two shots.

Lastly, pop-trivia - who was the fastest shot in Hollywood between 1950 and 1980 (being the last time I know the fact to be true)?

Answer: Believe it or not, the comedian Jerry Lewis. Go figure!

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 15 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #12

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Hey lawman, nice lawman. Don't hurt a person.
*draw-bang-bang-bang-holster*
Froinlaven

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 15 2004, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: I'm in Hell! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! (A.K.A Alabama)
Member No.: 6,739

It's not even like there is a reason you have to fire. It's not like the Keebler Elves are forcing you to, and there is nothing about a gun that forces you to fire after drawing.

+Quote Post
Everfast
post Oct 15 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (Wutasumi)
Sure it does. Just because your arm isn't bleeding dosn't mean it's not hurt. Same goes with your face, chest, and other body parts.

I see your point. Guess I had better hold back some CP dice for dodgin' then. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 15 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,653

A thought on the Aptitude (Combat Skill)...

It is not, in fact, comparable with a laser sight, since a laser sight has an effective range, can be disabled, or whatever. The aptitude apllies to everything you do with the skill, regardless. This is why it's set apart and is considered a game imbalance in most cases.

There are solutions, however.

I made a character that had an aptitude in Rifles (Sniper), but I didn't just leave it at that. He also has the Flashbacks flaw, which not only cancels out the Edge in value, but also effectively negates the -1 from the Aptitude, since the trigger is the sound of a sniper rifle being fired. What my GM and I agreed on is that whenever Flea (that's the character's name) hears the sound he drops into a flashback immediately, without making the Willpower (6) test. We then roll a die to see how many minutes or rounds (I can't remember which we decided on; I know that the normal application is minutes) the flashback lasts, and write this down. Once his total number of rounds is equal to 40, the Flashbacks flaw is replaced with a Moderate Phobia of Sniper Rifles, which would permanently impose at least a +2 penalty and the strong desire not to use the weapon. The solution and character goal is to spend his first 40 karma eliminating the Flashbacks flaw, at which point he can pick up a Sniper Rifle again. By this point it would be as if he bought the Aptitude, anyway.

Anyway, my point is this: Aptitude is a game imbalance if used for a Combat Skill, and if the GM is going to allow it, they should make the character pay for it. If you're hellbent on taking an Aptitude, I'd suggest something else. One of my running mates has had enormous success with an Athletics aptitude.

+Quote Post
Everfast
post Oct 15 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #16

Target

Krieger, it would be applied to aptitude pistol so it would generally only apply to short range work. Think about it though, 4 build points versus a pocket's worth of nuyen. And all that for only marginal gain vs the LS. Wouldn't a character whose whole focus in life is skill with a pistol warrant an aptitude for it?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

no, he'd warrant a high level of skill in Pistols. combat aptitudes are, generally speaking, a bad idea. after all, it's not like the aptitude doesn't stack with the laser sight, or with a smartlink.

+Quote Post
Everfast
post Oct 15 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #18

Target

True, but as part of my flavor, I would eschew those technological methods. In fact, I'm using a revolver so ony 1 shot per pass.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

*shrug* the book doesn't rule it out, long as you can clear it with your GM.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Oct 15 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

i allow combat skill aptitude, but you have to choose a type of weapons.

for instace, aptitude"pistols" is no go but aptitude "peacemaker" id allow

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Oct 16 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Oct 15 2004, 06:58 PM)
i allow campat skill aptitude, but you have to choose a type of weapons.

for instace, aptitude"pistols" is no go but aptitude "peacemaker" id allow

That doesn't really solve the problem. Odds are that the character is going to be specialized in one particular gun type and have an ungodly number of dice to throw between skill and IA: Pistols. In standard combat (i.e. TN's of 6 or lower) each -1 target number is basically an extra staging up if you are rolling 12 dice (which a pistol adept should be).

QUOTE (everfast)
Krieger, it would be applied to aptitude pistol so it would generally only apply to short range work. Think about it though, 4 build points versus a pocket's worth of nuyen. And all that for only marginal gain vs the LS. Wouldn't a character whose whole focus in life is skill with a pistol warrant an aptitude for it?

It doesn't matter for sniper rifle versus pistol. My namesake is a pistol adept in the same group as Krieger (his namesake character is also a sniper). Riddle has eliminated far more opponents with his pistols than Krieger has ever sniped.

My personal opinion is that unless your character has a specific edge to counter the unbalance of Pistol Aptitude, then it is a problem. For your specific character I think taking a flaw representing your aversion to using technological aids to aim would be feasible. Perhaps a phobia to targeting systems?

A loved one getting their head blown off seconds after a little red dot appeared on it might be enough to make you never want to see the targetting speck in a smartlink or use a laser sight. I'd call targetting systems common, and if you took it as a moderate phobia then you wouldn't be able to gain any benefit when using a smartlink and would be at a penalty when using laser sights.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Oct 16 2004, 02:21 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (ES_Riddle)
That doesn't really solve the problem.

i never said it solved the problem, only what i rule. YMMV homes ;)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 16 2004, 02:31 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

What is the problem exactly? The character needs to pay 4BP for the Aptitude, so what is the problem? Do you think that the Edge is undercost? Do you forbid Otaku from taking Computer Aptitude? Or Riggers from taking an Aptitude in any of the vehicular skills?

Or that they must have a Flaw to counter that? Like Otaku with Aptitude Computer must have Phobia: Matrix?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 16 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

yes, actually, i do forbid otaku from taking Computer Aptitude. the book even reccomends doing so.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Oct 16 2004, 02:55 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

It isn't quite so bad with Riggers and Vehicles since they have to take each type of vehicle seperately. Mages should be forbidden from taking aptitude in sorcery, though.

I'd also like to put a little math into this just to show how bad aptitude pistols in the hands of a pistol adept can be without something to counter it. So aptitude+SL-2=TN 2 base for shots, TN 3 for a called shot. 9M base damage, skill of 6, IA of 3. Call a shot to bypass armor and you're typically looking at a 9D+ (9 dice*2/3 success rate=6 successes). A body 18 troll is typically going to stage that down to a mere D wound (18 dice*1/9 success rate=2 successes) unless he dodged some of it or uses karma. If he doesn't go down you shoot him again. Otherwise your second shot is at another guy (this time don't call it), and you'll make him face a (9-armor)D+, which has a pretty good chance of either gacking him outright or putting some serious hurt on him.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.