> Decrease (Attribute), For taking out low Cha characters
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 15 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,175

Decrease (Charisma):

Okay at first I thought the TN would be the target's attribute, which would be insane. But even 10-essence (so 9 or 10 in a lot of cases, dunno how you round that one) isn't too tough when you're faced with a troll beast who has all stats through the roof, bar Cha which is sitting at 1 or 2. They resist the spell with Cha, so a couple of successes and you'll have the attribute down to 0 which means the victim "stands about mindlessly".

For some characters this'll be pretty handy to use against, and harder to resist than the standard manabolt.

Just a thought...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 15 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Of cause you have to sustain it. Big problem there.

Edward

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 15 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Not really a big problem. If you use that tactic a lot you can get a sustaining focus for it. If not, you've got a +2 or even just +1 on your target numbers, depending on whether you have focused concentration.

In any case, while you sweat a little the troll death machine is totally immobile and your buddies can go in and chop him up in no time.

+Quote Post
Friggas Ring
post Oct 16 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 5,013

Hrm, why didn't I think of that? Can anyone remind me where it says that the Decrease Attribute spell can drop the Attribute to 0 and that a character with an Attribute of 0 disables them? I'd check it out myself, but I'm at work.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Oct 16 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

It says it in the spell's description that attributes lowered to zero incapacitate the target.

Sustaining foci must be placed on the target and a plus 1 or 2 to all target numbers is a huge deal compared to the instant, almost easy kill of manabolt.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 16 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Yes, on p193 of the main rulebook. The spell description says you can reduce an attribute to 0 and also details the effects of it - paralysation/standing about mindlessly for physical/mental attributes respectively.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 16 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Because, sometimes you want to make use of the heavy dolly, celephane roll and the SR fed-ex equivalent

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 16 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Oops, forgot about that with sustaining foci. Fair point.

Yeah usually the manabolt is a good standard answer to most problems. Just sometimes this one is a decent alternative though.

+1 or 2 isn't too bad for a mage if all he's doing is more spellcasting - he should easily be able to center that away. You did take centering early on, right? :)

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Oct 16 2004, 01:03 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

note specific spell focus for this spell, the ugly stick

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Oct 16 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #10

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

a) Health spells are by default "touch range" => in order to be on the safe side you'd need a LOS-version of that spell => Higher drain. Potentially knocking out a mage (unless he has a trauma damper)

b) While I do know that the canon spell description says that the reduction of any mental attribute to zero leads to a lobotomy (while the spell is sustained), the very same rules say for characters that are turned into ghouls and hit the charisma 0 marker that they are reduced to mindless but still very active beasts. Sort of a contradiction there. Also note that non-sentinent critters do not have a charisma value (which is as good as a zero there, since normally no attribute can actually be taken at that value)

=> At least in my rounds a Decrease attribute (Charisma) spell won't incapacitate the common charisma 1 or charisma 2 combat machine, no matter what the spell description might suggest. Neither on PC, nor on NPC side ... Reducing INT or WIL will work, just as the reduction of physical attributes may lead to paralysis (with the possible consequence of death due to lacking lung activity)

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Oct 16 2004, 01:51 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,650

Cochise, why not? charisma also oncludes self confidense, someone paralysed by a complete lack of confidense is realistic, not to mention without this balancer munchkins have one more excuse to use charisma as a dump stat

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 16 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

A high-Drain spell with touch range (changing that raises the Drain even more), with a TN of 9 or 10 against the typical fractional Essense sammies you run into, and even for someone with a Charisma of 1 you still need 2 net successes (don't forget, one of the sammies teammates could be using Spell Defense on him). All this to keep someone out of action only for as long as you keep sustaining the spell. People keep bringing up this spell like it's this super-effective munchkin stopper, but it isn't. A stunbolt is far more effective most of the time.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 06:56 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: I'm in Hell! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! (A.K.A Alabama)
Member No.: 6,739

Maybe, but aganst a .01 essence SS with a dump CHA stat of one... It could be useful.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 16 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #14

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Hmm... odds of rolling two 10's on 6 dice aren't good. Especially when he only has to roll a single 6, assuming you take this spell at max force. Getting those two net successes will take quite some doing.

Does one of the math whizzes want to take a crack at this?

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Damnit. Ok, let me do this again

Attacker

1/6 X 3/6 = 3/36 = 1/12

Defender
1/6

1/12 X 1/6 = 1/12 X 2/12 = 2/144 = 1/72

1% X 10 = 10% /2 = 5%

Which is weird, because experementaly for me it's more like 25%

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 16 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

first, 1/6 * 3/6 is 3/36 or 1/12, not 1/4

so the caster has (sorcery)/12 expected successes and the defender has (cha)/6 expected successes

assuming target cha = 1 and sorcery useable dice = 12

the caster will get one success on average, while the defender rarely gets any
this doesn't matter for the defender if the caster can't get enough successes for any effect at all, so it's not a statistically viable process

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 16 2004, 10:40 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

But the expected successes are largely irrelevant. What maters is getting 2+ net successes.

Unfortunately my stats lessons are some 5 years old and poorly used CURSE YOU D20 WITH YOUR EASY TO CALCULATE PROBABILITIES

Edward

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Oct 16 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #18

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
Cochise, why not? charisma also oncludes self confidense, someone paralysed by a complete lack of confidense is realistic, not to mention without this balancer munchkins have one more excuse to use charisma as a dump stat

a) Charisma isn't so much about selfconfidence (which can be equally strong associated with willpower), it's a mixture of looks and how people perceive you and what you do with what they perceive on a concious and subconcious level.

b) As I tried to point out, critters do not have a charisma attribute. Still they aren't forced into non-action. Even more important is the fact that characters (and NPCs alike) can also have their Charisma reduced to zero by HMHVV[Krieger]. If that happens, they become mindless beasts, but they are still far from being paralysed by that effect. Hell, they become even more aggressive, because they ultimately are turned into savage critters (that's the reason why I find the non-existant charisma for critters to be an charisma 0 equivalent), that are driven by mere instinct. Now look at those generic, cybered combat machines with (btw. I dislike the far too often used term "munchkin" at that point) charisma 1:
They are usually portrayed as mean, psychotic and extremely agressive beings. Now if one such character is lucky enough to survive a ghoul transformation (essence before infection barely above 1), he'll end up as a really scary and heavily cybered beast, just living out his instincts (which already made him a "monster" while he was still sentinent). So when someone tries to tell me that the Decrease attribute spell should really be different at that point, that's fine for me, but I say: no it shouldn't.

c) It has already been pointed out that the chances of successfully decreasing the charisma of a heavily cybered target by one single point are pretty slim, so the spell as such (even with LOS-modification) can't be used to hold charcters at bay that fit the pattern of what you call "munchkin". Especially since such "munchkins" usually tend to have the magic resistance edge as well.

d) As soon as the so-called "munchkin" learns about this trick (and the idea has surfaced to often to escape from the eyes), he'll just increase his charisma to 2. The statistic chances of getting 2 net successes against TN 9+ are slim. Getting 4 is too slim a chance to even count on it

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Oct 16 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

This has come up in my group before, and we don't realy agree on the paralysis thing. What we came up with is other things that could happen with an attribute at zero:

str: You don't have the strenght to move, and stand there.
qui: This one, you are paralyesd by slowness.
bod: You can move, but you'll hurt youself: ie, if you lift your arm, it'll probably fall off or at least break.
int: Can't tell friend from foe, stare aimlessly
cha: Dosn't care friend or foe, attacks whatever is closest to him like a wild beast.
wil: total apathy, doesn't care to do anything.

Sure, it can be hard to get off, but the effects can be worth it.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Oct 16 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

I've always been perpetually ticked off at the fact that most damaging health spells, such as decrease charisma, use essence as the TN while most helpful ones (Aside from heal and a couple others) use the attribute affected. It seems wrong that draining your own essence provides a protection from magic while not making it any harder to recieve bonuses. And it gimps Shapeshifters even more.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post Oct 16 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Hoo! Reduce (Charisma) on a low Charisma shapeshifter character. That's gonna hurt.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 16 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Probably not the best option against a Fox 'shifter, though. :D

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 17 2004, 02:39 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Yea, that is a good point Spider, should they be switched?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 18 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #24

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Sustaining foci must be placed on the target and a plus 1 or 2 to all target numbers is a huge deal compared to the instant, almost easy kill of manabolt.

What do you think the slingshot adept is for? Pass it to him and let him slingshot the guy with it. Just make sure its adhesive somehow... :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 18 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Man, SR needs Plasma Grenades from Halo.....

"NOT AGAAAIII....."

BOOOOOM!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.