Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What don't wound modifiers modify?
Dashifen
post Oct 16 2004, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Having trouble verifying my ruling on a dispute last game. There were a few opinions around the table and the easiest way to solve the problem is this: What tests don't wound modifiers apply to?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kremlin KOA
post Oct 16 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,650

Damage resistance tests are the only test to which it does not apply

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 16 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

damage resistance and drain.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 16 2004, 02:40 AM
Post #4

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (mfb)
damage resistance and drain.

That's what I thought. Danke.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 16 2004, 03:07 AM
Post #5

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

You shouldn't apply wound modifiers to the Body(4) Test after taking a Deadly Physical, where you try to avoid losing limbs, eyes, ears, etc. (Deadly Wounds and Permanent Damage, SR3.127).

Nor to the Body Test (Healing Physical Damage, 126) to determine if you can heal on your own. Your physical wound level is already accounted for in the Wound Table, and your stun damage doesn't affect whether you'll be able to stabilize.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 04:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: I'm in Hell! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! (A.K.A Alabama)
Member No.: 6,739

I might rule that decking wouldn't be affected, as the physical body is shut off from what he is feeling.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 16 2004, 05:03 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

what you're feeling, maybe. but your body is still going to be going nuts, reacting to the damage, which will affect you mentally.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 16 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Considering you can take physical damage while in the matrix I think the penalties should defiantly apply.

Edward

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 16 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

You could probably add to that list any tests the character does while using Astral Projection. Stun Modifiers would still apply, but I'm not sure about Physical.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Edward)
Considering you can take physical damage while in the matrix I think the penalties should defiantly apply.

Edward

What? Why does that matter? The ICE is sending biofeedback through the matrix, you still can't really feel it. Maybe stun damage, or RP tramalogical damage would go aganst you, but not phys.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 16 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #11

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Of course, Fortune and Wutasumi, I'm sure you're aware that book rules indicate that Physical wound penalties apply to tests made while Projecting or Decking. I assume Dashifen was asking for book rules, not house rules.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 16 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (OurTeam)
Of course, Fortune and Wutasumi, I'm sure you're aware that book rules indicate that Physical wound penalties apply to tests made while Projecting or Decking. I assume Dashifen was asking for book rules, not house rules.

Yeah I know. I was actually responding to Wutasumi's post, stating that if he was exempting jacked-in Deckers, then he should also make an exception for Astral mages.

Sorry for the confusion. I need to quote more I guess. :)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 16 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #13

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (mfb)
and drain.

Wait, WHAT??? Are you serious? We've always added injury to drain. If that's not true, it's seriously going to affect how our mages play. Are you sure? I checked in the BBB and it says:

No target modifiers apply to this test except where specifically noted

Injury doesn't apply?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 16 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Backgammon)

No target modifiers apply to this test except where specifically noted

Injury doesn't apply?

No, it does not. Any mod that affects Drain Resistance must state specifically that it does.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

But I also thought maybe it was in the book, and players were arguing with the book.

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Oct 16 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

For a long time we played exactly like you , Backgammon...and actually I still have a problem not applying wound modifiers to Drain...after all, if a magician is wounded, how come pain doesn't interfere with his/her capacity to handle drain? It must be quite a challenging thing to become a sort of conductive material for astral energy coursing through your body, and I guess pain could distract you and make this feat much more difficult...
On top of that, drain Target Numbers are not such a big deal since 2nd ed (don't you remember 2050 when a Force 5 spell had a Drain TN of 5 instead of 1/2 Force ?) so it seems to me that wound modifiers could balance the game...after all your chromed-to-max street sam suffers from wound modifiers (okay, okay, unless he's got some niffty pain editor/trauma damper bioware)...

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I never had a problem with it, the logic is that when you put magical force through your body, that because your body is held together by magic (At least thats how I interpreted essence) it dosn't affect your body in any way, because it kinda is your body.

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Oct 16 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

I'm not sure I can agree...after all handling drain is Willpower test, not a Body Test, which , IMHO, implies that it is an act of will, that you have to concentrate and focus yourself on the delicate task of controlling the flux of raw mana running through your body/aura...as such, pain should be a handicap and make it harder to concentrate, hence wound modifiers on the drain resistance test...

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Oct 16 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

OK Backgammon and Tortui. I see the reference, and the reading of it. Is that the clearest spot where this reading is supported? Weve had it both ways and if theres a clearer spot Id be glad to have it pointed out to me.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Oct 16 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I'm with Ombre on this one. Anyway, I shot an email over to shadowrunrpg.com to get an official ruling, so should be resolved in a few days.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 16 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

when astrally projecting, you use Willpower to resist damage. should you take wound mods for that, too?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 16 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #22

Ain Soph Aur

We consider it a huge game balance thing also. Currently, mages have to be real careful about taking drain, cause when you start you don't stop. A mage with Serious stun isn't even going to try to cast anything, or he'll probably pass out. If injury doesn't apply to drain, then that totally changes the risk mages face. Not being able to cast spells very well because you have TN mods is one thing, not even trying cause you'll pass out is another.

That makes mages definatly more limited in our games, but that's not necessarely a bad thing. Magic IS very powerful, and this definatly curbs it. When we do have mages playing, they have to plan what spells they're gonna use and that plan always involves a "by then I'll be too drained to support anymore" phase.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 16 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

*shrug* your game, i guess. it's never been a problem, in the games i've played.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Oct 16 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #24

Ain Soph Aur

Yeah... we've never played otherwise is all. If we changed now, it'd be weird. Had we always played with wounds not affecting drain, there wouldn't be a problem I guess. It's just switching between the two is a huge differance.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 16 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #25

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

To me, Drain Resistance is just another form of Damage Resistance except you are doing it to yourself.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.