IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Too much property damage?, Set it on fire and watch it burn.
Sabosect
post Oct 16 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,741

Yes, this relates to my group.

Tonight, we blew up a bridge, shot down a plane that crashed into an arcology, and ran from a dragon on a rampage to kill us because we stole its hoard, destroying entire blocks in the process. Luckily, this is a night that doesn't count toward the real game, so...

But, that has me thinking. How much property damage do you consider too much?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sidartha
post Oct 16 2004, 02:46 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,025

Unless it is specifically part of the job, anything that makes the news is too much.

One-offs aside, how the hell did PC's steal a dragons hoard!!?? :eek:

+Quote Post
TechnoDruid
post Oct 16 2004, 02:48 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,121

Well, that's excessive, I admit. However, if the PC's are really creative about it, think about possible repercussions, etc... Then, what the hell, go with it. Hell, I'd let mine nuke Denver if they impressed me enough with the plan... (okay, maybe not NUKE it, but maybe thor it...)

Besides, those little "Break everything that can be broken" sorts of nights are rather nice, especially if it doesn't count towards your game/campaign. Lets players cut loose, try out gear, play with thier character, really lets them push the limits on what the characters can do. But, by all means, don't make it easy for them...

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Oct 16 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

I dunno...for me I would think too much property damage is when you are required to leave the country involuntarily if you wish to stay on THIS side of the ground.

I would think causing that much damage would result in having 12 point Enemies of 1)the Arcology you hit, 2) the dragon, 3)any corps in the blocks you destroyed, and finally Lone Star for causing all of the above.

THOSE runners if they don't leave presto change-o are soon to be toast.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 16 2004, 06:36 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

A little excessive it depends how and why you id it.

Your not necessarily looking at 12 point enemies.

The arcolegy doesn’t know who you are and considering it was a unanticipated side effect they probably wont bother hunting you down. It wouldn’t be economical.

The corps hit by the dragon will be more angry at the dragon and have similar issues not knowing who you are.

The star (and the feds) will be about to get you but wont risk innocents to get you and wont necessarily have a lot of information on who you are.

The dragon is probably a level 12 enemy, that’s why it was on your ass blowing up anything it thought might contain you.

Edward

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Oct 16 2004, 06:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

the collateral damage is only too great when it effects anything you own and didn't expect to get harmed

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

From: I'm in Hell! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! (A.K.A Alabama)
Member No.: 6,739

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Oct 16 2004, 01:43 AM)

the collateral damage is only too great when it effects anything you own and didn't expect to get harmed

That's about right, who cares if it dosn't affect YOU in 2062. Real Politk all over again.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Oct 16 2004, 06:59 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

well if it belongs to your character that counts as well.

+Quote Post
Wutasumi
post Oct 16 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: I'm in Hell! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! (A.K.A Alabama)
Member No.: 6,739

QUOTE (Wutasumi @ Oct 16 2004, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Oct 16 2004, 01:43 AM)

That's about right, who cares if it dosn't affect YOU in 2062. Real Politk all over again.

You live in 2062?

I can think of another benifit, the millions of archatects and builders who become followers because you gave them jobs, and made some of them rich!

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Oct 18 2004, 01:06 AM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Edward)
A little excessive it depends how and why you id it.

Your not necessarily looking at 12 point enemies.

The arcolegy doesn’t know who you are and considering it was a unanticipated side effect they probably wont bother hunting you down. It wouldn’t be economical.

The corps hit by the dragon will be more angry at the dragon and have similar issues not knowing who you are.

The star (and the feds) will be about to get you but wont risk innocents to get you and wont necessarily have a lot of information on who you are.

The dragon is probably a level 12 enemy, that’s why it was on your ass blowing up anything it thought might contain you.

Edward

I dunno - I can totally see a major corp send a strike team after BOTH parties of the destruction, if it was a pervasive as it sounds. I.E. They'd send someone after the dragon, and after the people who caused the dragon to go beserk. Now granted, they'd only send out one hit (they wouldn't do a sustained effort).

Non major corps would probably not have the funds to go after a DRAGON, but they could go after the people who caused the dragon to go beserk.

As far as not knowing who you are? Come ON - can we say outside surveillance cameras, witnesses...if the dragon was single minded witnesses would see who the dragon was gunning AFTER.

At least that's my take on it - I do see your point, so I'll leave it at that.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Oct 18 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Ugh. I know its not really in the rules, but I'd probably slap the characters with that nice mobile-background count flaw. That's got to be a hell of alot of bad karma they just pulled in.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Oct 18 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Which dragon was it? Named or GM-created?

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Oct 19 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Which dragon was it? Named or GM-created?

We were a little distracted by the buildings and vehicles it was blowing up while running for our lives to ask if it had a name...

I thank all of you for your imput so far.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 19 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #14

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

You're dead. You're all dead.

Lonestar is going to be turning over the city looking for you since you blew up a freakin' bridge on their watch which since it hit the news, and there's no way in hell it's not, makes them look bad. Which is not considered a good thing, so you guys just became the most wanted people in the sprawl. They're going to lean on anyone and everyone to get you so the Mob and Yaks are going to be after you so the cops will let everyone get back to normal and none of your contacts are going to ever speak to you.

Renraku is going to be sending the Deathsquads of Doom™ after you for putting a massive fuck off dent in their shiny Arcology. Doesn't matter if it was intended or not- you shot down the plane that lead to the property damage. For all they know the 'accident' could have been staged by their rivals specifically to target the Arcology. Plus you made them look bad.

Since you shot down a plane then that's going to bring in the Feds on the whole terrorism thing, no way is it getting chalked up as a regular crime. And whichever corp happened to own said plane would probably like to have a chat with you as well.

Then you've either got a pissed of dragon after you or if you killed it as you were running away, you didn't say, then all the rest of the dragons are pissed at you since they don't take all that kindly to humans offing one of their own. So like I said, you guys are probably the worlds biggest insurance risk right about then. :D

+Quote Post
Tal
post Oct 19 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,294

If it's the Seattle Arco after the lockdown, I can't imagine Renraku being all too bothered about someone crashing a plane into the sucker. Hell, they'd probably be taking notes on just how much damage it did...

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 19 2004, 01:13 AM
Post #16

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Uh, don't think so. They paid for the Arcology and it's full of their stuff, it's not like they're trying to retake it for fun. Plus I guess we can add surrounding property damage and all the members of the Metroplex Guard that are stationed around the Arcology that you killed as well to the total.

+Quote Post
Tal
post Oct 19 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,294

What I meant was taking notes whether the plane punched through the defences Deus has set up. You know, so that they could try and send in a larger military force.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Oct 19 2004, 06:28 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Blahblahblah. The dragon ritually tracks its hoard. You die. The end.

A shadowteam accustomed to living would have been sure to wash their hands of the bridge and/or plane jobs if they were missions. Both are too high profile targets to do anything but, and as the job in question said damage level is implied. If it was done as part of extracurricular activites, see above scenario. As for anything pertaining to a dragon, see above scenario. Also, tie your GM to the closest load-bearing bumper. Hes earned it.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Oct 19 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #19

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I concur with the above posters in that in any game I have ever seen or played in the team is dead, they just may not know it yet. Period.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 19 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #20

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

You never mentioned, which arcology? If it was the Renraku, how did the plane not get shot down by auto-defenses?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 19 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #21

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Oh, the dragon's not THAT bad. Any runner team with proper preparation and a few hundred karma under their belts (each) should be able to handle a dragon. I mean, they're not even necessarily spellcasters of any talent.

Now, a GREAT dragon, that would be preposterous!

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 19 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #22

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

That's another thing, if it is the Renraku Arcology, post recovery from Deus, the dragon might have even been fired up, and from what I understand, even a great dragon is reluctant to tangle with the Arc's defenses

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Oct 20 2004, 02:10 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

This game sounds like the movie XXX.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Oct 20 2004, 05:57 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

We had one game where the sammy accidentally blew up a packed stadium, killed about 10,000 people, and managed to get all of our faces (except the rigger, who was phoning it in from his command van kilometers away) on national TV in the process.

That was too much property damage. Everyone ended up executed except the rigger, who skipped the country and got a new face and name.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Oct 20 2004, 06:00 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Accidentally? how can you accidentally blow up a stadium? Unless you got your hands on a tac nuke, of course...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.