Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too much property damage?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sabosect
Yes, this relates to my group.

Tonight, we blew up a bridge, shot down a plane that crashed into an arcology, and ran from a dragon on a rampage to kill us because we stole its hoard, destroying entire blocks in the process. Luckily, this is a night that doesn't count toward the real game, so...

But, that has me thinking. How much property damage do you consider too much?
sidartha
Unless it is specifically part of the job, anything that makes the news is too much.

One-offs aside, how the hell did PC's steal a dragons hoard!!?? eek.gif
TechnoDruid
Well, that's excessive, I admit. However, if the PC's are really creative about it, think about possible repercussions, etc... Then, what the hell, go with it. Hell, I'd let mine nuke Denver if they impressed me enough with the plan... (okay, maybe not NUKE it, but maybe thor it...)

Besides, those little "Break everything that can be broken" sorts of nights are rather nice, especially if it doesn't count towards your game/campaign. Lets players cut loose, try out gear, play with thier character, really lets them push the limits on what the characters can do. But, by all means, don't make it easy for them...
DocMortand
I dunno...for me I would think too much property damage is when you are required to leave the country involuntarily if you wish to stay on THIS side of the ground.

I would think causing that much damage would result in having 12 point Enemies of 1)the Arcology you hit, 2) the dragon, 3)any corps in the blocks you destroyed, and finally Lone Star for causing all of the above.

THOSE runners if they don't leave presto change-o are soon to be toast.
Edward
A little excessive it depends how and why you id it.

Your not necessarily looking at 12 point enemies.

The arcolegy doesn’t know who you are and considering it was a unanticipated side effect they probably wont bother hunting you down. It wouldn’t be economical.

The corps hit by the dragon will be more angry at the dragon and have similar issues not knowing who you are.

The star (and the feds) will be about to get you but wont risk innocents to get you and wont necessarily have a lot of information on who you are.

The dragon is probably a level 12 enemy, that’s why it was on your ass blowing up anything it thought might contain you.

Edward
Fygg Nuuton
the collateral damage is only too great when it effects anything you own and didn't expect to get harmed
Wutasumi
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Oct 16 2004, 01:43 AM)

the collateral damage is only too great when it effects anything you own and didn't expect to get harmed

That's about right, who cares if it dosn't affect YOU in 2062. Real Politk all over again.
Fygg Nuuton
well if it belongs to your character that counts as well.
Wutasumi
QUOTE (Wutasumi @ Oct 16 2004, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Oct 16 2004, 01:43 AM)

That's about right, who cares if it dosn't affect YOU in 2062. Real Politk all over again.

You live in 2062?

I can think of another benifit, the millions of archatects and builders who become followers because you gave them jobs, and made some of them rich!
DocMortand
QUOTE (Edward)
A little excessive it depends how and why you id it.

Your not necessarily looking at 12 point enemies.

The arcolegy doesn’t know who you are and considering it was a unanticipated side effect they probably wont bother hunting you down. It wouldn’t be economical.

The corps hit by the dragon will be more angry at the dragon and have similar issues not knowing who you are.

The star (and the feds) will be about to get you but wont risk innocents to get you and wont necessarily have a lot of information on who you are.

The dragon is probably a level 12 enemy, that’s why it was on your ass blowing up anything it thought might contain you.

Edward

I dunno - I can totally see a major corp send a strike team after BOTH parties of the destruction, if it was a pervasive as it sounds. I.E. They'd send someone after the dragon, and after the people who caused the dragon to go beserk. Now granted, they'd only send out one hit (they wouldn't do a sustained effort).

Non major corps would probably not have the funds to go after a DRAGON, but they could go after the people who caused the dragon to go beserk.

As far as not knowing who you are? Come ON - can we say outside surveillance cameras, witnesses...if the dragon was single minded witnesses would see who the dragon was gunning AFTER.

At least that's my take on it - I do see your point, so I'll leave it at that.
Voran
Ugh. I know its not really in the rules, but I'd probably slap the characters with that nice mobile-background count flaw. That's got to be a hell of alot of bad karma they just pulled in.
Crimson Jack
Which dragon was it? Named or GM-created?
Sabosect
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Which dragon was it? Named or GM-created?

We were a little distracted by the buildings and vehicles it was blowing up while running for our lives to ask if it had a name...

I thank all of you for your imput so far.
FlakJacket
You're dead. You're all dead.

Lonestar is going to be turning over the city looking for you since you blew up a freakin' bridge on their watch which since it hit the news, and there's no way in hell it's not, makes them look bad. Which is not considered a good thing, so you guys just became the most wanted people in the sprawl. They're going to lean on anyone and everyone to get you so the Mob and Yaks are going to be after you so the cops will let everyone get back to normal and none of your contacts are going to ever speak to you.

Renraku is going to be sending the Deathsquads of Doom™ after you for putting a massive fuck off dent in their shiny Arcology. Doesn't matter if it was intended or not- you shot down the plane that lead to the property damage. For all they know the 'accident' could have been staged by their rivals specifically to target the Arcology. Plus you made them look bad.

Since you shot down a plane then that's going to bring in the Feds on the whole terrorism thing, no way is it getting chalked up as a regular crime. And whichever corp happened to own said plane would probably like to have a chat with you as well.

Then you've either got a pissed of dragon after you or if you killed it as you were running away, you didn't say, then all the rest of the dragons are pissed at you since they don't take all that kindly to humans offing one of their own. So like I said, you guys are probably the worlds biggest insurance risk right about then. biggrin.gif
Tal
If it's the Seattle Arco after the lockdown, I can't imagine Renraku being all too bothered about someone crashing a plane into the sucker. Hell, they'd probably be taking notes on just how much damage it did...
FlakJacket
Uh, don't think so. They paid for the Arcology and it's full of their stuff, it's not like they're trying to retake it for fun. Plus I guess we can add surrounding property damage and all the members of the Metroplex Guard that are stationed around the Arcology that you killed as well to the total.
Tal
What I meant was taking notes whether the plane punched through the defences Deus has set up. You know, so that they could try and send in a larger military force.
The White Dwarf
Blahblahblah. The dragon ritually tracks its hoard. You die. The end.

A shadowteam accustomed to living would have been sure to wash their hands of the bridge and/or plane jobs if they were missions. Both are too high profile targets to do anything but, and as the job in question said damage level is implied. If it was done as part of extracurricular activites, see above scenario. As for anything pertaining to a dragon, see above scenario. Also, tie your GM to the closest load-bearing bumper. Hes earned it.
BitBasher
I concur with the above posters in that in any game I have ever seen or played in the team is dead, they just may not know it yet. Period.
Nikoli
You never mentioned, which arcology? If it was the Renraku, how did the plane not get shot down by auto-defenses?
Moon-Hawk
Oh, the dragon's not THAT bad. Any runner team with proper preparation and a few hundred karma under their belts (each) should be able to handle a dragon. I mean, they're not even necessarily spellcasters of any talent.

Now, a GREAT dragon, that would be preposterous!
Nikoli
That's another thing, if it is the Renraku Arcology, post recovery from Deus, the dragon might have even been fired up, and from what I understand, even a great dragon is reluctant to tangle with the Arc's defenses
Crimson Jack
This game sounds like the movie XXX.
John Campbell
We had one game where the sammy accidentally blew up a packed stadium, killed about 10,000 people, and managed to get all of our faces (except the rigger, who was phoning it in from his command van kilometers away) on national TV in the process.

That was too much property damage. Everyone ended up executed except the rigger, who skipped the country and got a new face and name.
DocMortand
Accidentally? how can you accidentally blow up a stadium? Unless you got your hands on a tac nuke, of course...
mfb
one group i played with ended up using two rating 20 FAE bombs, and 500 doses of gamma-anthrax, on one compound. we'd been hired to raze it. not sure why the GM looked so surprised when we actually razed it.
Edward
Did you get to role-play explaining to the J that he should be more acuret describing what he wants done.

Edward
DarkShade
getting back to the original question.. when is property damage too much..
it is too much when it creates too many problems, when you have to spend too many resources to avoid being tracked down.

most of my chars consider killing a bad business and go to great lengths to avoid it, morality is a valid way to consider collateral damage, not everyone likes watching the news later and seeing all the misery they are personally responsable for.

for strictly Srun Biz reasons, anything that makes people start seriously hunting you or gets you on Trid is too much collateral.

ie, if you are in aztlan and while shooting it out with some guards accidentally kill a civillian.. whether that is too much collateral is a morality issue.
if said civillian happens to be the favored nephew of a member of the gestalt you might call said collateral excessive from a biz point of view smile.gif

-btw about looting dragon hoards.. check the earthdawn book on dragons.. fun lecture on what you`d be up against smile.gif

DS
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
one group i played with ended up using two rating 20 FAE bombs, and 500 doses of gamma-anthrax, on one compound. we'd been hired to raze it. not sure why the GM looked so surprised when we actually razed it.

Because he wasn't prepared for us to ever make it inside the compound. The twenty story walls creeping with Awakened plants and topped with concertina and auto-turrets were supposed to keep us out of the MOST SECRETIST BAES!!!!11, remember?

But, yeah. To be honest, I don't remember how Mister Jay really reacted during the post-op conversations. I know how our GM was shocked, but I don't think he had it bleed over to our IC employer.

And, hey. If he didn't want us to blow the whole place up, he shoulda told us he wasn't able to get us bombs that big in the first damned place.
John Campbell
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Accidentally? how can you accidentally blow up a stadium? Unless you got your hands on a tac nuke, of course...

Well, when I say, "accidentally blew up a stadium", I mean, "deliberately put a totally stupid amount of C12 into a breakroom microwave next to a primary support pillar and set the microwave to turn on after a 15-minute delay, for no particular reason, without putting sufficient thought (or, indeed, any thought at all) into the consequences of such an act, and without actually telling any of the rest of the group that he'd done so".

It didn't really result in the stadium blowing up so much as gradually collapsing. Most of the people inside got out before it came down... though that wasn't really helped by the rigger taking the assault van in one of the main entrances to make pickup on the rest of the team... and finding that that route was blocked by people rushing to get out, using its machine gun to clear the way.
Austere Emancipator
I guess your GM would have been really happy to know that such explosives shouldn't go off in that kind of situation. Or would he have?
Nikoli
Though I could see using the microwave as a make-shift timer for the detonator.
Edward
there are some explaosives that will detonate in teh microvave. otherwise a bit of mettle will cause sparks wich may detonate electricly detonater explosives and if the bit of mettle hapons to be a detonator then the detonator will probably blow.

Edward

(ps sory about spelling havnt reinstaled ofice yet)
Austere Emancipator
If there's an old-fashioned flame-detonated blasting cap stuck to the C-12, that might go off as the heat rises extremely high, especially if there's sparks.

Plastic explosives IRL don't go off because of heat alone, certainly not heat in the 100-300 degrees C range, but since canon plastic explosives can be detonated with electricity (horribly, horribly bad idea), you can get away with most silliness regarding explosives.
Crusher Bob
Since this is SR, a lightning bolt type thingy might be able to set off explosives, as the heat and pressure caused by the bolt (interaction with air) might set the explosive off, but the electricity itself won't.

And you can probably set C-4 of y setting it ont fire and them stomping on it several times (if you are trying for a darwin award).
John Campbell
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Plastic explosives IRL don't go off because of heat alone, certainly not heat in the 100-300 degrees C range, but since canon plastic explosives can be detonated with electricity (horribly, horribly bad idea), you can get away with most silliness regarding explosives.

And, as it happens, we were playing Shadowrun, not Real Life.
Austere Emancipator
I sorta thought that might be the case, which I why I added the subclause that the canon electrically detonated C-12 gives the GM free reign to do whatever the hell he wants with explosives, including making them non-lethal and just spraying around pink marshmellow crap.
Nikoli
I don't think the spray-foam explosives are up for discussion just yet...
DocMortand
Talk about a booby trap - flash freeze foam explosive - it detonates, and everything gets caught in the foam, which hardens after a millisec or so.

Heh - would this be even possible in SR?
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Talk about a booby trap - flash freeze foam explosive - it detonates, and everything gets caught in the foam, which hardens after a millisec or so.

Heh - would this be even possible in SR?

yes, you can have freeze foam grenades... as to them instant hardening id say no, you can't speed up the chemical without a special skill etc.

now a liquid nitrogen grenade is interesting, however i dont know how much is needed to be effective, dryice in antifreeze IIRC from junior high science froze most stuff pretty effectively
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Then you've either got a pissed of dragon after you or if you killed it as you were running away, you didn't say, then all the rest of the dragons are pissed at you since they don't take all that kindly to humans offing one of their own.

Nitpick: there's no evidence that I have seen that Greats take any special interest in those who kill Greats, with the possible exception of Sirrurg (who may have more specific motives). Certainly the German Army did not receive any repercussions for the probable killing of Kaltenstein.

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Oct 22 2004, 03:02 AM)
Now a liquid nitrogen grenade is interesting, however i dont know how much is needed to be effective, dryice in antifreeze IIRC from junior high science froze most stuff pretty effectively

Liquid nitrogen isn't going to freeze anything when splashed around in the open.

Most of it is going to boil away very quickly, whatever part of it hits flesh has the potential to give you frostbite, but unless it's a truly huge amount, at most you'll get a few blisters. You can actually put a spoonful of liquid nitrogen in your hand, and play "hot potato" with it without any ill effects, as long as you keep shifting hands, even though it'll boil in contact with your skin.

The only time it continues to burn for a longer period is if it spills on a thin layer of clothing in contact with the skin. I don't know whether this is because the cloth soaks it up, or you end up with a patch of very cold ice forming on the cloth as a result, but liquid nitrogen doesn't stick to skin at all (compared to dry ice, for example), but it seems to "stick" to clothes. (Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience - occupational hazard when you use cryogenic storage for biological samples)

The only way to actually freeze something using liquid nitrogen is to have the nitrogen in a tank, and immerse the object in it.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
yes, you can have freeze foam grenades... as to them instant hardening id say no, you can't speed up the chemical without a special skill etc.

Is there such a thing in SR or would it be something a GM would have to create? And if so - what kinda stats would you guys attribute to it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012