IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Religious campaign?, Ames people especially....
vagranttimelord
post Oct 24 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,771

Hello everyone, I was just in a car for an hour and a half and for the entire time i was building on a campaign idea.

I would like to know peoples opinions on campaigns that include lots of: religion, magic, threats, more threats, and ending at high karma characters... but still well rounded ones.

I know that if i said my complete idea of the campaign it would sound stupid, but the hint for all of you is.... think Templar.

Ok... now give me those opinions.....

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Oct 24 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

So... a high-powered game with a religious (presumably catholic) theme? Something along the lines of the pcs being templars? Sounds fine, if your players would be interested in playing templars rather than shadowrunners. Can't give you a more detailed response unless you provide more information about what your idea entails, this was pretty sparse.

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 24 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,653

I've been tossing around the idea of creating a Templar-linked character for a while, and I think any campaign involving them would be fun as hell. I'd be down for it, though I think it would be best to wrap up a couple others first. :)

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 25 2004, 01:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,295

nah, the best was one of my player's characters, Catholic extremeist terrorist. He blew up a mosque, and then basically gave the catholic church a weapon to point at stuff they didn't like. It was quite funny till he blew himself and an entire building up.

moral of the story, religious campaigns can be quite fun, but only if you have players who are into it.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 25 2004, 01:26 AM
Post #5

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I can wait to pit the New Knight Templars against the Jamil Islamyah. :vegm: And have the two groups wipe each other out!

+Quote Post
Edward
post Oct 25 2004, 02:10 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

This sounds like a variant on the “trained to be ghosts” alternat campaign style from SRcomp with the employer being a religious organisation.

I would be in but be shore your players understand the LOYALTY aspect of the game and want to play.

Edward

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Oct 25 2004, 02:32 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

I could see such a game having three potential fates:
1) go to spot, Id threat, destroy threat, repeat
2) as one but with barrages of clues that eventually lead the PCs to decide between destroying certain threats and following certain instructions
3) No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 25 2004, 06:14 AM
Post #8

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Dude.
I'm not really religious, but both of my majors (literature and asian studies) tend to be heavily bent toward religion (I almost triple majored, with religious studies as the third). I don't have any vested interest in enforcing dogma, making people believe in god, or burning heretics.

That said... What you have described is *precisely* the sort of game I would love to play. It's a great idea, if done properly. Run with it.

Think about it - a street samurai or two that are of the more humanist religious beliefs, believing that human invention can empower them to channel god. Or maybe they feel cyberware weakens their spiritual connection to the divine. A rigger, the human embodiment of an Ophanim. And, of course, the Adept who beats ass for god. Jesuits from hell, baby.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 25 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

All-magic variations can be a lot of fun. The Sixth World is so diverse and full of life that it's actually a shame not to leave the shadows behind every now and then and explore some of the other avenues.

This type of variation could cover anything including the aforementioned Templar game (which I've done before -- it's a lot of fun and is hardly limited by the three things the Herald mentioned), a game where everyone is a member of an Aztech blood magic gestalt out to explore the darker mysteries of the universe, or even members of a select Draco Foundation team put together to enforce Dunkelzahn's Will and the ramifications it created (another one I've done before and had a blast with).

One of the coolest things about a Templar variation is that it's a combination of an all-magic, mercenary, and dark mysteries type of game. You can run the whole gamut with it as you go out and recover powerful Catholic relics "private collectors" (imagine how much fun/what a bitch it would be if one of those collectors was a great dragon), investigate missing missionaries in the heart of Amazonia, join or foster a secret crusade against the New Jihad, and/or fight the demonic forces of a black magic coven like the Aleph Society.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Oct 25 2004, 08:25 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Heh, interesting topic. I don't really have anything to say about a Catholic-bent run scenario, but on the subject of religious runs... I normally run the game like 99% of the time. However, when I get to play, its in a group with a GM who's taking theology at PSU. He's a pretty smart and witty guy. He started telling us the title of each run we'd play, right before we'd play it. I was laughing when he said with a grin, "Tonight's run is Vishnu is from Mars, Kali is from Venus."

Anyhoo, back to Mary and the Templars... :)

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 25 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Anyhoo, back to Mary and the Templars... :)

Is that a new band? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Oct 25 2004, 12:18 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Hehe... "And shepherds we shall be, for thee o Lord, for thee..." anyone? :D

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 25 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #13

Deus Absconditus

Precisely so!
Just about half of the PCs I've made in the past five years have been of a religious bent, but I think that's due to having played a bunch of Legend of the 5 Rings, Vampire, 7th Sea, and always picking up the Cleric slack in D&D.

"And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, O Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti."

I like Boondock Saints. Can you tell?

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,768

When it comes to any game I run, I try really hard to stay away from religon. The group of friends I have are all cool, but most come from difrent backgrounds. So unless you are playing with your church group you might want to stay away from that stuff, you neve know when you might afend some one.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 25 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

QUOTE (mmu1)
Hehe... "And shepherds we shall be, for thee o Lord, for thee..." anyone? :D

Boondock Saints, IIRC

+Quote Post
Bane
post Oct 25 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 6,654

Boondock Saints 2.
Rumor or Reality?
Go.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 25 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #17

Deus Absconditus

When it comes to any game I run, I try really hard to stay away from religon. The group of friends I have are all cool, but most come from difrent backgrounds. So unless you are playing with your church group you might want to stay away from that stuff, you neve know when you might afend some one.

I'm friends with a bunch of muslims, a couple of buddhists, a metric asston of catholics, some zionist jews, some non-zionist jews, one zoroastrian, and a bunch of transhumanists. We get a lotta milage out of different religions in Santa Barbara. But on this subject...

To be very blunt about it, if there is a danger that religion in a game will offend one of your players *simply by being there* - rather than because it was handled poorly or in an ill-educated fashion - then those players should *not be playing*. Shadowrun is about murder, corruption, spies, double-crosses, crime, justice made with your own two hands, revenge, lust, and mystery. If the line from 'it's just a game' to 'OMG WTF' can be crossed by including a church or a priest, then the person who's offended probably needs to take a step back and remind themself it's just a game. If a player can't remind themself that the religion in Shadowrun is part of a game, what does that say about their impressions of Shadowrun's more seedy themes?

Granted, that sounds like an indictment against gamers, but I've known a lot of gamers who were rather seriously unhinged, and the inability to take such simple things as 'part of the game' has been a good warning sign.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 25 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #18

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Well said.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Oct 25 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,768

You make a grate point. And I myself have studied mythology in collage and some forms of mystisium along with the bible and some modern belifes. I have no problem with religon but if you look at the world today, people are still killing each other over who has the right god. LOL. I rather just stay away from the subject.

As for Boon Dock Saints, That movie kicks so much ass. One of my top 10 of all time!

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 25 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 6,653

Well, as one of the people in the group that this campaign will be designed for, I think I can say for sure that none of us will be offended by any religious conflicts that we run across.

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Oct 25 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #21

Jesus Freak

Member No.: 6,274

QUOTE (Adarael)

Does anyone know a traslation of the latin in the last line of the prayer?

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Oct 25 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #22

Jesus Freak

As far as religious characters go, being a Christian, yeah, a lot of my characters have dealings with the Lord. Most recently I have a character that is an ex-Templar. He saw that he was working for an orginization of man, rather than doing the work of God, so we went AWOL and left to find the God of the Bible, not the one of man. Naturually this lead to the Templars trying to hunt him down and all that fun stuff.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Oct 25 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Oct 25 2004, 12:42 PM)

Does anyone know a traslation of the latin in the last line of the prayer?

God, I am with a heathen... :)

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Oct 25 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #24

Jesus Freak

I figured it was something like that, but the latin to english dictionary I use online isn't the greatest.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 25 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum, adveniat regnum tuum, fiat voluntas sicut in caelo et in terra, panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis cotidie, et demitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimisimus debitoribus nostris et ne inducas nos in temptationem sed libera nos a malo.

In nomine patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti, amen.

~J

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for spelling or grammar errors. This is a memory of five years of Latin in a Catholic school.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.