Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Religious campaign?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
vagranttimelord
Hello everyone, I was just in a car for an hour and a half and for the entire time i was building on a campaign idea.

I would like to know peoples opinions on campaigns that include lots of: religion, magic, threats, more threats, and ending at high karma characters... but still well rounded ones.

I know that if i said my complete idea of the campaign it would sound stupid, but the hint for all of you is.... think Templar.

Ok... now give me those opinions.....

Jason Farlander
So... a high-powered game with a religious (presumably catholic) theme? Something along the lines of the pcs being templars? Sounds fine, if your players would be interested in playing templars rather than shadowrunners. Can't give you a more detailed response unless you provide more information about what your idea entails, this was pretty sparse.
Krieger
I've been tossing around the idea of creating a Templar-linked character for a while, and I think any campaign involving them would be fun as hell. I'd be down for it, though I think it would be best to wrap up a couple others first. smile.gif
paul_HArkonen
nah, the best was one of my player's characters, Catholic extremeist terrorist. He blew up a mosque, and then basically gave the catholic church a weapon to point at stuff they didn't like. It was quite funny till he blew himself and an entire building up.

moral of the story, religious campaigns can be quite fun, but only if you have players who are into it.
toturi
I can wait to pit the New Knight Templars against the Jamil Islamyah. vegm.gif And have the two groups wipe each other out!
Edward
This sounds like a variant on the “trained to be ghosts” alternat campaign style from SRcomp with the employer being a religious organisation.

I would be in but be shore your players understand the LOYALTY aspect of the game and want to play.

Edward
Herald of Verjigorm
I could see such a game having three potential fates:
1) go to spot, Id threat, destroy threat, repeat
2) as one but with barrages of clues that eventually lead the PCs to decide between destroying certain threats and following certain instructions
3) No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Adarael
Dude.
I'm not really religious, but both of my majors (literature and asian studies) tend to be heavily bent toward religion (I almost triple majored, with religious studies as the third). I don't have any vested interest in enforcing dogma, making people believe in god, or burning heretics.

That said... What you have described is *precisely* the sort of game I would love to play. It's a great idea, if done properly. Run with it.

Think about it - a street samurai or two that are of the more humanist religious beliefs, believing that human invention can empower them to channel god. Or maybe they feel cyberware weakens their spiritual connection to the divine. A rigger, the human embodiment of an Ophanim. And, of course, the Adept who beats ass for god. Jesuits from hell, baby.
Ol' Scratch
All-magic variations can be a lot of fun. The Sixth World is so diverse and full of life that it's actually a shame not to leave the shadows behind every now and then and explore some of the other avenues.

This type of variation could cover anything including the aforementioned Templar game (which I've done before -- it's a lot of fun and is hardly limited by the three things the Herald mentioned), a game where everyone is a member of an Aztech blood magic gestalt out to explore the darker mysteries of the universe, or even members of a select Draco Foundation team put together to enforce Dunkelzahn's Will and the ramifications it created (another one I've done before and had a blast with).

One of the coolest things about a Templar variation is that it's a combination of an all-magic, mercenary, and dark mysteries type of game. You can run the whole gamut with it as you go out and recover powerful Catholic relics "private collectors" (imagine how much fun/what a bitch it would be if one of those collectors was a great dragon), investigate missing missionaries in the heart of Amazonia, join or foster a secret crusade against the New Jihad, and/or fight the demonic forces of a black magic coven like the Aleph Society.
Crimson Jack
Heh, interesting topic. I don't really have anything to say about a Catholic-bent run scenario, but on the subject of religious runs... I normally run the game like 99% of the time. However, when I get to play, its in a group with a GM who's taking theology at PSU. He's a pretty smart and witty guy. He started telling us the title of each run we'd play, right before we'd play it. I was laughing when he said with a grin, "Tonight's run is Vishnu is from Mars, Kali is from Venus."

Anyhoo, back to Mary and the Templars... smile.gif
toturi
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Anyhoo, back to Mary and the Templars... smile.gif

Is that a new band? grinbig.gif
mmu1
Hehe... "And shepherds we shall be, for thee o Lord, for thee..." anyone? biggrin.gif
Adarael
Precisely so!
Just about half of the PCs I've made in the past five years have been of a religious bent, but I think that's due to having played a bunch of Legend of the 5 Rings, Vampire, 7th Sea, and always picking up the Cleric slack in D&D.

"And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, O Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti."

I like Boondock Saints. Can you tell?
GaiasWrath8
When it comes to any game I run, I try really hard to stay away from religon. The group of friends I have are all cool, but most come from difrent backgrounds. So unless you are playing with your church group you might want to stay away from that stuff, you neve know when you might afend some one.
Nikoli
QUOTE (mmu1)
Hehe... "And shepherds we shall be, for thee o Lord, for thee..." anyone? biggrin.gif

Boondock Saints, IIRC
Bane
Boondock Saints 2.
Rumor or Reality?
Go.
Adarael
When it comes to any game I run, I try really hard to stay away from religon. The group of friends I have are all cool, but most come from difrent backgrounds. So unless you are playing with your church group you might want to stay away from that stuff, you neve know when you might afend some one.

I'm friends with a bunch of muslims, a couple of buddhists, a metric asston of catholics, some zionist jews, some non-zionist jews, one zoroastrian, and a bunch of transhumanists. We get a lotta milage out of different religions in Santa Barbara. But on this subject...

To be very blunt about it, if there is a danger that religion in a game will offend one of your players *simply by being there* - rather than because it was handled poorly or in an ill-educated fashion - then those players should *not be playing*. Shadowrun is about murder, corruption, spies, double-crosses, crime, justice made with your own two hands, revenge, lust, and mystery. If the line from 'it's just a game' to 'OMG WTF' can be crossed by including a church or a priest, then the person who's offended probably needs to take a step back and remind themself it's just a game. If a player can't remind themself that the religion in Shadowrun is part of a game, what does that say about their impressions of Shadowrun's more seedy themes?

Granted, that sounds like an indictment against gamers, but I've known a lot of gamers who were rather seriously unhinged, and the inability to take such simple things as 'part of the game' has been a good warning sign.
Nikoli
Well said.
GaiasWrath8
You make a grate point. And I myself have studied mythology in collage and some forms of mystisium along with the bible and some modern belifes. I have no problem with religon but if you look at the world today, people are still killing each other over who has the right god. LOL. I rather just stay away from the subject.

As for Boon Dock Saints, That movie kicks so much ass. One of my top 10 of all time!
Krieger
Well, as one of the people in the group that this campaign will be designed for, I think I can say for sure that none of us will be offended by any religious conflicts that we run across.
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (Adarael)

Does anyone know a traslation of the latin in the last line of the prayer?
Ecclesiastes
As far as religious characters go, being a Christian, yeah, a lot of my characters have dealings with the Lord. Most recently I have a character that is an ex-Templar. He saw that he was working for an orginization of man, rather than doing the work of God, so we went AWOL and left to find the God of the Bible, not the one of man. Naturually this lead to the Templars trying to hunt him down and all that fun stuff.
mmu1
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Oct 25 2004, 12:42 PM)

Does anyone know a traslation of the latin in the last line of the prayer?

God, I am with a heathen... smile.gif

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."
Ecclesiastes
I figured it was something like that, but the latin to english dictionary I use online isn't the greatest.
Kagetenshi
Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum, adveniat regnum tuum, fiat voluntas sicut in caelo et in terra, panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis cotidie, et demitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimisimus debitoribus nostris et ne inducas nos in temptationem sed libera nos a malo.

In nomine patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti, amen.

~J

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for spelling or grammar errors. This is a memory of five years of Latin in a Catholic school.
kryton
I don't even remember my latin from HS....Although I kind of teatered out at the end. Latin and myself didn't work well together.
Ecclesiastes
Languages and myself don't work well together. I got a D in spanish both times I took it and its supposed to be the easiest to learn. And of course I had to marry a mexican that wants to teach me spanish so I can talk to the half of her family that doesn't speak english. smile.gif
GaiasWrath8
...right...moving on.

I have always liked games with old religus ties, things like Gaia, Luna, and Helios. Or even norse or greek gods. Since very few people worship these gods nowadays I don't worrie about any one disagreing with my interputation of religus text or actions.

Any ways. Been nice talking. I am think I am done here in the religus section.
Ecclesiastes
Check out Werewolf from the World of Darkness. Its all about Gaia, Luna, and Helios.
Whizbang
Host it, and I will come. smile.gif
Edward
There is a vast difference between having a religious element (a priest hires you. Your mark is highly religious. A collector hires you to steel the windows from a famous church) and having a campaign where your characters belong to a religious organisation.

I would worry about somebody that had a problem with the first set but some people have a problem with playing a religious character. Ask them first.

Edward

Haereticus
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum, adveniat regnum tuum, fiat voluntas sicut in caelo et in terra, panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis cotidie, et demitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimisimus debitoribus nostris et ne inducas nos in temptationem sed libera nos a malo.

~J

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for spelling or grammar errors. This is a memory of five years of Latin in a Catholic school.

LOL Did I just fall into a pre-Vatican II meeting?

- backs out slowly and with hands raised
Deamon_Knight
Yea, I've always wanted to play a religious game because there is so much history to draw upon, its great Roleplaying material. Of course, if you have people who are offended your milage will vary, but I look at it this way: God's fallen on tough times if my Roleplaying can hurt the omnipotent being!
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Haereticus)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

LOL Did I just fall into a pre-Vatican II meeting?

- backs out slowly and with hands raised

*stands in the doorway with wings outspread and flaming sword in hand*
Moris
Tai-Pan
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
So... a high-powered game with a religious (presumably catholic) theme? Something along the lines of the pcs being templars? Sounds fine, if your players would be interested in playing templars rather than shadowrunners. Can't give you a more detailed response unless you provide more information about what your idea entails, this was pretty sparse.

Honestly, I have been considering a higher-powered campaign where the runners are hired to work against the Templars in several areas being only. Technically Catholic, I show up for most family weddings and funerals but avoid all other contact, I'd have to do more than a little research on the church.
Fortune
QUOTE (Tai-Pan)
Honestly, I have been considering a higher-powered campaign where the runners are hired to work against the Templars in several areas ...

Run it here ... I'd love to play. smile.gif
Tai-Pan
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Tai-Pan @ Oct 26 2004, 07:04 PM)
Honestly, I have been considering a higher-powered campaign where the runners are hired to work against the Templars in several areas ...

Run it here ... I'd love to play. smile.gif

I'd Love to run it here but you already know too much.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Oct 25 2004, 05:49 PM)
"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

You left out an "and." In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I'm a little anal.

As probably the most religious of the Ames people that this campaign is intended for, I can assure you that the offending people part is not going to be a problem unless vagranttimelord is going to go out of his way to try to offend me. Sometimes I think my roleplaying group is trying to make me fail out of college with their constant stream of good campaigns.
Kagetenshi
*Ahem*

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit".

~J
Erebus
Hmm, if anyone's seen it. There was an Anime series called Helsing. I think setting the characters up as Paladins based off something similar to one of the antagonist characters from that would be cool.

Basically, you'd be members of a Secret order of the Church who hunts down monsters/demons, etc. I think it would work pretty well ported to the Sixth World.

Or for more possible ideas see the movie: The Boondock Saints for another odd religious tie-in. Basically two Irish guys who think they've been divinely inspired to hunt down mafia folk, or anyone else who would prey upon the masses.

Krieger
Riddle, take solace in the fact that I'm in worse shape than you are at the moment for the same reason(s), albeit a couple years behind.

QUOTE (Erebus)
Or for more possible ideas see the movie: The Boondock Saints for another odd religious tie-in. Basically two Irish guys who think they've been divinely inspired to hunt down mafia folk, or anyone else who would prey upon the masses.

It's already been mentioned on the first page, and from the responses, I think it's safe to say the vast majority of posters here have seen it.

And now for a random Saints quote:
"Is it dead?"
- Rocco
Admin Petrus
One of my characters is a true believer (christian, catholic, vatican variety) with an hidden agenda.
He's a manipulative bastard - but thats his chars naturally. He does enjoy the excuse to be holier than thou as well as very nasty, and he's actually tempering his usual sadistic tendencies, though he can't hide the effort he makes to stop himself being a totally ruthless killer.

The catholic symbols make great focuses and fetishes. He has a laser spell (See the lord's holy light and burn, sinner) instead of a fireball, crucifixes, saint images... it works very well.

Drives a scooter and wears a habit.

Everybody takes it very well and nobody gets offended.

Of course he doesn't know the deeper agendas of his church, which run deep - and no, its not the standard "bad priests, worse bishops" theme. My world is complex, with many undercurrents of which they catch sometimes the smell, witness the effects or get involved in 4th order ripplings of the wave.

Oh, I also don't like elves. They are not portrayed in the best of lights.
Synner
Boy, somedays I really hate my NDA... Anyways, you'll want to check the upcoming Loose Alliances, when it comes out, for some "interesting" ideas on religious themed groups and campaigns (Christian and non-Christian).
PenAgain
This thread has some great ideas.. I generally shy away from Religion in my SR games, and the thoughts bandied about in here make me regret that, a bit.

Also, nice to see Ames in the header of a post. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

--PenAgain
(Misguided pride in Iowan cities- it's only a 1 point Flaw but you get busted for it all the time...)
Nath
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 29 2004, 01:31 AM)
Boy, somedays I really hate my NDA... Anyways, you'll want to check the upcoming Loose Alliances, when it comes out, for some "interesting" ideas on religious themed groups and campaigns (Christian and non-Christian).

It seems balanced, talking like that, you are making everything for the people here to hate you as well nyahnyah.gif
Toptomcat
Sounds interesting...you could look to Hellsing for some inspiration...
Tal
I actually did a few runs involving Hellsing and Iscariot. Worked out pretty well.
locomotiveman
QUOTE (Adarael)

I'm friends with a bunch of muslims, a couple of buddhists, a metric asston of catholics, some zionist jews, some non-zionist jews, one zoroastrian, and a bunch of transhumanists. We get a lotta milage out of different religions in Santa Barbara. But on this subject...

Does your Zoroastrian friend travel or do talks? (I assume its ok to talk about your faith in that faith) My college's looking for speakers for a series and someone from the fourth and least known monothestic religion would be an interesting addition. Even if he doesn't do talks he could point us in the right direction.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Sounds interesting...you could look to Hellsing for some inspiration...

Whoa...never even thought about them for a basis - that would be awesome.

Altho frankly, in what books are stats for true old world vamps?
Adarael
Does your Zoroastrian friend travel or do talks? (I assume its ok to talk about your faith in that faith) My college's looking for speakers for a series and someone from the fourth and least known monothestic religion would be an interesting addition. Even if he doesn't do talks he could point us in the right direction.

Not particularly. He's a business major, and that's really about it. <G> I'll let him know, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012