IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral Melee & Sorcery, For Doc. Funk.
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,724

SR3, Astral Combat Tests, p 174
"Use the melee combat rules (p 120) to make attacks. The character may attack using an armed combat skill if armed with a weapon focus, Unarmed Combat if not, or Sorcery in place of either skill."

"Anyone with Magic 1 can use the skill while fighting on the astral anyway. If anything, that should be split into a new skill and to this day I honestly don't know why it's covered by Sorcery."

This discussion will concentrate on the issue presented posing that Sorcery is, not only a little confusing of a choice, but also inconsistent with the rest of the rules when used as an Astral Melee substitute.

There are two questions, at least, that should be asked:

1) Should Sorcery even exist as an Astral Melee variant skill at all? Why/Why not?

2) Should Astral Melee have a seperate listing of the mundane melee skills?(perhaps like B/R skills) Why/Why not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 29 2004, 08:15 AM
Post #2

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

It seems strange to me to use Sorcery Skill for Astral Combat, but then I've never been in Astral Space.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Oct 29 2004, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

I think of using sorcery for astral combat as being essentially the same sort of thing, conceptually, as a decker using computer skill to improvise an attack. You are applying your understanding of mana to weild it in its raw form against an opponent. You can't do anything fancy-shmancy, like produce physical effects or cause damage over an area or whathaveyou, but you can bring on the hurt to something astrally active.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Oct 29 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #4

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

I like that, Jason. That helps explain why an allocation of Sorcery dice to Astral Combat means that you have less ability (fewer dice) to manipulate mana for spellcasting. You're busy manipulating mana to thwack someone.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Yes it would explain that.

So it makes good sense the way they have it by the conversation so far.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 29 2004, 11:59 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

That idea breaks down somewhat when you realize that astral attacks don't cause drain (unless I'm badly misremembering).

~J

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:07 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

I don't think I'm getting you clearly. Could you go into a little (not a pluthera of detail yet) more detail and explain where exactly not having any drain but using your Sorcery skill as Astral Melee attacks runs into a problem?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 29 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

If you're creating an attack on-the-fly through manipulation of mana, it presumably should have drain much the same as every other direct manipulation of mana.

~J

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

ouch. I think that might have been left out because it would murder the user, and because mundanes use their Combat Pool and suffer no drain and have no real way to actually suffer that drain either.

Making a drain on it would make magic users have a dis-advantage in an area where they should be excelling.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Oct 29 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,935

Or it would make him actually use a combat skill to fight on the astral. Just because your incredibly good at mana manipulation doesn't mean your an excellent fighter. Thus you have 2 option. Invest in being really good at fighting, or fire hose them with mana. But like any other use of sorcery it should have a drain code, it doesn't have to be crippling but should make them think twice on it.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

under that logic, we'd have to make deckers take melee skills just to battle in the matrix. (well...you get the idea anyways)

Astral has nothing to do with your physical world abilitiy to fight.
A quadriplegic could be an awsome Astral Warrior.

or fire hose them with mana

you can't cast spells in the Astral.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I do think that if an alternative is posed, it would be a category of Astral Unarmed combat and Focus (armed) Combat.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Oct 29 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

We do. He takes combat program, which he must then execute using his computer skill.

There's nothing in what I said that stops a quadriplegics from being awesome warriors on the astral. All they need to do is project and study with their master while manifest, or even purely on the astral itself.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

But like any other use of sorcery it should have a drain code

The problem is that
A) the sorcery skill here isn't being used to cast anything. It's actually just being used to tell you how many dice you get to roll for Melee Attacking.

B) Saying that magic users have a drain for Melee Attacking (if Sorcery were to be drained for melee attacks astrally), the mundane characters would surely win because the magic users would be taking extra damage from attacking while the mundanes wouldn't be taking any drain because they are using a Combat Pool instead of Sorcery and besides that, the mundanes have no way of being drained.
It offsets the balance.

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (GoldenAri @ Oct 29 2004, 12:33 PM)
We do.  He takes combat program, which he must then execute using his computer skill.

There's nothing in what I said that stops a quadriplegics from being awesome warriors on the astral.  All they need to do is project and study with their master while manifest, or even purely on the astral itself.

That would be as I was suggesting:
a category of Astral Unarmed combat and Focus (armed) Combat

Otherwise, joe Mundane with an Unarmed of 6 would kick some serious ass in the Astral while not having any magical ability other than Astral Perception.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Oct 29 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Howabout as a drain code for it. The amount of Sorcery dice used/2 M ?i was thinking stun but slinging spells on astral cause's physical......

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Drain is a bad idea.
Why? because it's not universally a penalty to ALL characters who can go Astral.

I would rather see Sorcery removed from the options and replaced with Astral Melee skills than introduce a Drain system for Astral Melee ONLY to mages and Adepts!

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Oct 29 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

ok...firstly.

I should correct the impression I'm giving with "mundane".
I'm reffering to Adepts. Sorry for the confusion.

This whole Sorcery thing really only applies to Adpets directly anyway because they are the ones who are specifically cited as being able to use Sorcery for only one reason. Astral Combat.
Adepts cannot receive Drain because they don't cast spells so the Drain idea doesn't really work without re-writing the Adepts.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Oct 29 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

And who else other than mages uses sorcery for fighting on the astral? Spirits and dual-natured beasts all use unarmed combat. So a mage can do what everyone else does and learn to fight (be that through an Astral Melee skill or through unarmed combat or whatever) or he can try and ad-hoc use sorcery and hurt himself a little.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Oct 29 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Astral Combat (Willpower)

The Astral Combat skill allows a character to fight while astrally projecting. Only characters capable of using astral perception/projection or those who are dual-natured can learn this skill.

Default: Attribute, Sorcery.
Specializations: Physical attacks, Mental attacks.

Errata: Eliminate all references of the Sorcery skill being used for astral combat and replace them with the Astral Combat skill.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 29 2004, 03:01 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Stumps)
you can't cast spells in the Astral.

Er, yes, you most expressly can. The drain is all Physical, though.

~J

+Quote Post
Brazila
post Oct 29 2004, 03:13 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,278

I don't think drain is a good idea for astral combat, in most instances I shy away from anything that adds more rolls on every action taken. I have always thought that sorcery was an odd choice for astral combat. I understand the concept that a mage should be able to fight on the astral, even if they can't on the physical, but not via Sorcery. I mean shouldn't why is it linked to Sorcery? It seems silly that someone who only does conjuring but is often active on the astral would be less capable there. I don' t know if it should be a seperate skill, as I already think skill points often feel like they are spread a little thin. Maybe It shoulld just be based on magic rating? That way you could say astral pool can't be used, but the increase in Magic via each initiation would add to it. I would say that a Power focus would not add to Magic rating for this, but a weapon focus would. Probably needs to be thought out more, but that is just an idea. Plus, it would help curb cybered mages, since the lower essence score would make them less powerful on the astral.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Oct 29 2004, 03:52 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

QUOTE (Stumps)

There are two questions, at least, that should be asked:

1) Should Sorcery even exist as an Astral Melee variant skill at all? Why/Why not?

2) Should Astral Melee have a seperate listing of the mundane melee skills?(perhaps like B/R skills) Why/Why not?

1. I think Sorcery is a perfect substitute. Sorcery is the ability to manipulate mana. Mana is the 'stuff' of the Astral. A person skilled in Sorcery doesn't need to rely upon his 'physical' abilities in order to be effective in astral space.

2. No. Dual natured beings ARE fighting with their physical skills. Their physical selves and their Astral selves overlap. Abilities of one translate directly to the abilities of the other.

As far as drain is concerned... Drain is used for manipulating mana into spells.. that is not what is happening with Astral Combat (unless they cast a spell). Astral Combat with Sorcery is much more subtle and far less demanding than actual spell-casting.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 29 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

:proof:

It's not just spells, summoning causes drain too.

~J

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Oct 29 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Actually I do like that fighting with your magic rating, or maybe essence. That would level the playing field. If fighting on the astral really has nothing to do with your physical combat abilities.

I'd even allow weapon and power foci to add to this, or maybe just augment your astral combat pool.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:21 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.