IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Telescoping Staff, What were they thinking?
Wireknight
post Nov 8 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,118

I have up and until this point miraculously failed to consider the utter unfeasability of a telescoping staff, ala the ones possessed by the comic-book characters Gambit and Robin. If such a weapon did exist, it would require smart materials and nanotech engineering to be able to actually survive hitting someone or being hit, when fully extended. Yet, not only has a telescoping staff been introduced to Shadowrun in Cannon Companion, it is remarkably cheap and easy to acquire(Availability 4/48 Hours; 100 :nuyen: ).

What were they thinking?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 8 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

They were probably thinking that they needed a decent reach, somewhat concealable melee weapon to make the monowhip seems less broken. :D
I dunno. Maybe it's not a feasible design, I'm not a materials engineer, but it's certainly fun.
I do know that a staff doesn't have to be heavy to be dangerous. A lighter staff can be accelerated more quickly and reach higher speeds, so kinetic transferral isn't decreased as much as you might think. You're just getting more damage from speed than from mass.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Nov 8 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

They might have been thinking of some of the nice tool steel telescoping staves I have seen. No good for thrusting but man they sting when they hit you on a swing

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Nov 8 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

The lightness isn't an issue of damage, so much as it's an issue of the staff crumpling like a straw when you hit someone with it, at the points of articulation. I've got a collapsible baton, and the closest thing I could imagine to a real-and-true collapsible staff would be two collapsible batons that screw together at the base and have some locking mechanism(since the motion to extend one side would retract the other).

And even then, most of the mass would be concentrated in the center even when the weapon was extended, making it much more difficult to employ effectively than a standard staff of equivalent length.

+Quote Post
heliocentric
post Nov 8 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,724

I don't know... I've seen telescoping batons in action and they seem to work pretty well. Telescoping staves probably aren't that weird given the internal logic of your average comic book/ action movie/ RPG.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 8 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

There are some metals that will barely deform even when rather thin. Also, nothing says that it's smooth, it probably is significantly smaller at the ends than at the middle. There may even be some fun chemistry options to increase weapon durability while still allowing it to collapse.

Concealability of 5 is on par with a full sized club, so change your opinion of how small it gets as well.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 8 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (lorthazar)
They might have been thinking of some of the nice tool steel telescoping staves I have seen.

I don't suppose you know of a website that sells something like this? I'd love to get a pair and find out for myself.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Nov 8 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Like I said, it could be done with advanced materials engineering and/or nanotech... but at its cost/availability, it's obviously a mass-produced, low-overhead weapon. I mean, try to find a collapsible staff, for sale, nowadays. Hiking, disability-related, sure. They exist. Ones for self-defense and martial arts are nonexistent.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Nov 8 2004, 07:54 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Wireknight)
Like I said, it could be done with advanced materials engineering and/or nanotech... but at its cost/availability, it's obviously a mass-produced, low-overhead weapon.

I don't think advanced materials would help, or be necessary. It's a matter of making the connection points between telescoping sections long enough, and avoiding thin gage materials. The end result should be heavy, but collapsible.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Nov 8 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

No such luck friend. The ones I saw were the result of a rather demented friend of mine who was an expert in mettalurgy. I say was becuase not long after he made them he had a terrible car wreck. I think his wife still hs them, btu you'd have better luck surviving an attack from piranha. Although he used to say he got the idea form Babylon 5 so if you can afford to pay for props you might be able to get one.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 8 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Though that may have more to do with the demand for collapsible staves…

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Nov 8 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Umm... 4 isnt really that low for melee weapons. Hell, a goddamn polearm has an availability of 4. A combat axe has an availability of 3. Dont think of that 4 as "there are dozens of them in every warehouse" and more as "your fixer can find one without too much trouble given a couple of days to make inquiries." I mean, if you have problems with the availabilities in general, you arent alone. The telescoping staff is not an anomaly, though, its pretty consistent.

I do not share your incredulity concerning the actual item.

+Quote Post
GaiasWrath8
post Nov 8 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,768

I have never seen a fully telescoping staff the way they talk about it, but have used a real one. It had three parts and the two outer parts could slide half way into the middle part. You still had a pole that was 2 1/2 feet long but I guess its easyer to hide than a 5 foot staff. The funny part was you could get the two ends to slide out by twirling the staff (of a sharp rotation of the staff). But to get it to go back in you had to hold down two points and push hard. LOL.

It was made from a form of aluminum, much like an aluminum base ball bat. Light weight and fast. used agenst another weapon it would dent and one day was no longer able to retract. But it was fast as hell and hurt like a B***h when you got hit with it. It did take many months for the dents to render it useless, but I guess its the same with most weapons.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 8 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #14

Runner

Since the one in the books collapses to the same concealability of a .5 meter (or more) club, your example is probably very close to the item in the books. If a game were to include weapon degredation, it would be vulnerable, but that isn't in the rules because it's usually just annoying to track.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Nov 8 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Nov 8 2004, 08:01 PM)
I do not share your incredulity concerning the actual item.

What affirms, to you, the viability of such a weapon?

Oh, and your assessment of availability 4/48 hours is a bit flawed. A character with average Etiquette score, with a single karma reroll, could readily acquire one in sixteen hours. A fixer, who has Etiquette of at least 6, could acquire it in eight. That's not quite "a couple of days" and more like "the end of the workday".

Availability TN# of 4 is the same acquisition difficulty as a katana. If I had the money, I could probably be the proud owner of a quality(not antique, obviously) katana blade within four hours. I can't even locate a telescoping staff, let alone find one for sale and negotiate its purchase.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 8 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

A karma reroll indicates extraordinary luck and/or effort.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 8 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yes. in other words, a guy who's either lucky or trying very hard can acquire a collapsible staff, or katana, in sixteen hours.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Nov 8 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Must be effort, though. I've never considered myself lucky.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 8 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #19

Runner

Just think of how much the demand for telescoping staves will increase when people realize that it can help them scare away troublesome spirits. Just extend the staff and start waving it at the nasty materialized spirit, and you may just beat it back, no skill required. Once that demand is noticed, production will increase beyond the "suicidal comic book fan" production level to the "paranoid mundane" production level.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 8 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #20

Never underestimate the paranoid mundane market base.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Nov 8 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Well how common were Katana's in these United States 60 years ago? Now you get a picture of how thing might be a little different in 2064.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Nov 8 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

I like to think that if a telescoping staff were a practical possibility, they'd already be for sale, catering to the same market as most low-end katanas sell to, now. If a telescoping staff is such a practical weapon, why can't I, personally, find a single one for sale? It's not like they'll develop some incredible new extradimensional pocket telescoping technology in the next sixty years.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 8 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #23

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Yeah. According to most of the artwork, everyone will carry a katana around, sixty years from now.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 8 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I have an extanedable baton (in my jacket pocket right now) it's about 8" in length, 21" when extended Opened with a sharp flick of the wrist.

Telescoping staves would be about 24" in length collaspsed. and would open with a sharp spin (carefull not to catch your shins) using centralfugal(sp) force.

The baton i could pick up by walking in to a shop that opens at 9.30am and pay £24 for. The Stave though i've never seen one in real life, once the sixth wourld comes along i could quite easly see some people getting them for the sole reason the Herald has mentioned and becoming common(ish) cos of that.

I really can't see why theres such a problem.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Nov 8 2004, 08:42 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

As others have mentioned, the functional problems you see with telescoping staves could be resolved, or at least significantly reduced, with a little bit of intelligent engineering.

Also, as has been mentioned, there are no weapon degradation rules. Your quality katana shouldn't last you forever either, if you regularly engage in sword duels. If you want to enforce your *own* weapon degradation rules, thats fine, and perhaps the telescoping staff would be more prone to breakage than other weapons. However, the melee combat rules in SR are insufficiently precise as to clearly define what is a parry and what is a clean miss, and so you'd probably have to work out a whole new melee combat system as well to keep up with your house rules for weapon degradation. I dont feel that would sufficiently enhance the game for me to bother with it, but more power to you if you come up with a system you like.

In general, I think that, for whatever reasons you want to assume, melee weapons across the board are more popular/common in the 2060s than they are now, and so some uncommon weapons are more readily available than they are today. Ive never seen a combat axe with a spring-loaded thrust point for sale anywhere, myself, but apparently those are just as common as telescoping staves in SR. Hell, look at the ares monosword - that has an availability of 4/24 hours! With the same effort/luck, you could get one of those in just 8 hours! And those dont even exist yet!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.