Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running Jumps, Questions!
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 9 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,465

A player wants to make a new PC named "The Flea" that has CyberSkates, Hydraulic Jacks and a good Athletics skill for the pupose of making long jumps to attack opponents. With that threat in mind, I did some research:

Under Hydraulic Jacks (HJ) in MM:29 it mentions that each level provides an extra die for Athletics (Running) test as well as Athletics (Jumping) per SRComp:47. The HJ also provides +20% maximum jumping distance per HJ rating (+100% at Rating 5).

Per SRcomp:47 the max distance for a running jump is Quickness (Q=6 for this example) in meters. I assume you could also make an Athletics (4) Test to improve your Quickness for the purpose of a running jump, so with Athletics 6 + 5 for his HJ (and assuming 11 successes) I would have a modified Q of (6+11) or Q=17 for a running jump.

The runner now wants to make a running jump and his HJ:5 would boost that +100% so my adjusted max distance would be Qx2 or 34meters...wow!

Some other possibilities:
Q=6 (+11) x2 = 34m
Q=7 (+11) x2 = 36m
Q=8 (+11) x2 = 38m
Q=9 (+11) x2 = 40m
Q=10 (+11) x2 = 42m

The only other part that makes this more mind boggling is the runner also has CyberSkates that would ruther boost this running multiplier, but there is no provision (per cannon) to take into account the multiplier (which really determines how fast you are moving while running).

Not that I want some runner making 100meter jumps w/o a vehicle and a ramp involved, but isn't there something that should take into account your running speed (multiplier) for increasing jumping distance? Or have I made some incorrect assumptions?

Thanks for the feedback.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 9 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

There's no way in hell he'll actually manage to jump much more than 10-12 meters, though. Remember, you have to roll (Meters Jumped) on Athletics (Jumping), and the likelihood of rolling a 34, even if you have an obscene amount of dice, is pretty fucking slim.

Refer to this discussion. Mr Wabbit is not a legal starting character, though, because you'd need to initiate a few times to get Magic 6 while having all that ware.

Also, rolling Athletics to inrease running distance as per the Sprinting rules in SR3 or the Athletics - Running rules in SRComp would not increase your QUI for the purpose of determining maximum jumped distance. At least it would not in my world, and I'm pretty sure that's how the rules intend it to be. Notice how the Running section in src3.47 says the Athletics test only increases your effective QUI by 1 for that Combat Phase, and how the Jumping section on the same page mentions only "character's Quickness".

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Nov 9 2004, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Nov 9 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Easy, have the Jack reduce the target number 10% per level more realistic as the jack will help you jump those heights easily. need to jump 8 meters with a level 5 Hydraulic jack a TN of 4 please. While not canon it is definately more realistic and fun.

As for the speed multiplier just subtract 1/2 that number form the jump test if they have a running start.making the 8 meter jump a TN of 2 for the enhanced runner. Of course for the landing he might need some athletics rolls to stay standing.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 9 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Maximum distance doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. All those implants could boost his maximum jumping distance to ten miles and it wouldn't matter because your TN for the test would be 16,093. So while you could jump 16,093 meters, you're not even going to come close to jumping 16,093 meters.

But I do understand the problem you're having with these rules. They're fine for normal mundane characters in average situations, but completely break down when you start adding magic and technology into the mix.

A better mechanic for a running jump would be to use your desired distance as the target number, but divide (eww, I hate using division in game mechanics) the TN by your (Running Multiplier -2 to a minimum of 1). The maximum distance is still determined the same, but your ability to actually hit that maximum distance has increased quite a bit... especially for augmented characters.

Example 1: Joe Blow has Quickness 10, Hydraulic Jacks 5, and Athletics 6. He's an Satyr Ghoul with a Running Multiplier of x5. Joe's maximum running jump distance is 26 meters [(10 Quickness + 3 successes on average on the Running Test) + 100% from the Jacks], and he needs to jump 25 meters. His normal TN would be 25, but with this suggested alteration it would only be 8. Joe rolls his 11 dice (Athletics 6 +5 from his Jacks) and easily nails a single 8. Hooray, he just jumped 25 meters thanks to all his implants and high speed. Anyone with a Running Multipler of x3 or lower would still have a TN of 25 in the same situation.

Seems reasonable to me.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 9 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

I like that, I think that's a pretty good house rule overall. It does make increasing your Running Multiplier more important than increasing maximum jumping distance/QUI for most people who want to jump far, though.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 9 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Only in that it makes it easier to hit those maximum distances. If you want to actually go far, you need to be able to in the first place. :)

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 9 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Thanks for the feedback all, I think Doc Func is on the right track of what I am looking to curb or atleast get a handle on.

So what happens if you fail the Jumping test?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 9 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Look at the roll as an Open Test. The highest number they rolled was the distance they traveled. The use of a TN includes them trying to stop right at that distance, so they undermined their maximum potential... thus if they fail to hit it, they undermined it a little too much. :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 9 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

I actually meant for people who have already got particularly high QUIs and maybe boosts to their maximum jumping distance (Great Leap, Hydraulic Jacks). For example, Mr Wabbit from the Revised Jumping rules -thread I linked to would still not stand a very good chance of jumping much further than 30 meters -- until he gets himself Kid Stealth Cyberlegs, anyway.

But, now that I've thought more about it, it's an extremely marginal problem which is very unlikely to ever come up in a game, and is not necessarily even a bad thing to begin with.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Nov 9 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
So what happens if you fail the Jumping test?

Road rash. :dead:

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 9 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #11

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

I think sometimes you fail to land at your desired distance because you jumped too far. Watch the player's eyes when you give him that result. :eek:

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 10 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Maximum distance doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot.  All those implants could boost his maximum jumping distance to ten miles and it wouldn't matter because your TN for the test would be 16,093.  So while you could jump 16,093 meters, you're not even going to come close to jumping 16,093 meters.

But I do understand the problem you're having with these rules.  They're fine for normal mundane characters in average situations, but completely break down when you start adding magic and technology into the mix.

A better mechanic for a running jump would be to use your desired distance as the target number, but divide (eww, I hate using division in game mechanics) the TN by your (Running Multiplier -2 to a minimum of 1).  The maximum distance is still determined the same, but your ability to actually hit that maximum distance has increased quite a bit... especially for augmented characters.

Example 1:  Joe Blow has Quickness 10, Hydraulic Jacks 5, and Athletics 6.  He's an Satyr Ghoul with a Running Multiplier of x5.  Joe's maximum running jump distance is 26 meters [(10 Quickness + 3 successes on average on the Running Test) + 100% from the Jacks], and he needs to jump 25 meters.  His normal TN would be 25, but with this suggested alteration it would only be 8.  Joe rolls his 11 dice (Athletics 6 +5 from his Jacks) and easily nails a single 8.  Hooray, he just jumped 25 meters thanks to all his implants and high speed.  Anyone with a Running Multipler of x3 or lower would still have a TN of 25 in the same situation.

Seems reasonable to me.

After talking to one of the others who GM's in our group as discussed the option Doc presented. The only reservation is it still allows for some crazy jumps with rather low TNs.

I think the route we are probably going to adopt is to grant a -1 TN bonus for each point of running over x3 to the TN for the running jump. This would allow the PC with the Cyberskates (x6 running) a -3 TN. This changes his 12 meter jump (max Quickness with his Hydraulic Jack 5) from TN=12 to TN=9. Also conisdering offering a -2 per multiplier point over x3, that would change his TN=12 to TN=6, but we have to talk about that more.

On a side note, this could also "fix" the fact that dwarfs only run at x2, and we might apply a +1TN for them considering they aren't running as fast to make the jump.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 11 2004, 02:06 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,670

Somehow, I read all of this...

JUST TAKE THE FREAKING STAIRS !!!

"So while you could jump 16,093 meters, you're not even going to come close to jumping 16,093 meters."

WHOA, TAKE THE BUS

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 25 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

The running multiplier not being factored into Running-jump distance has been bugging me, so I've decided to apply some Physics to get a better idea of how far these jumps would be. Here's what I've got:

Vo = Initial Velocity (in m/s)

The axis velocity components:
Vx = Vo*cos(a)
Vy = Vo*sin(a)

[ Spoiler ]
Max_Distance, d = (Vo ^2 * sin(2*a)) / g
Travel_Time, t = (Vo * sin(a)) / g
Max_Height, h = (Vo^2 * sin^2(a)) / 2*g

A typical running-jump: Q=6, Vo=(6*3/3) = 6m/s, a=45.
[ Spoiler ]
d = 3.67m running-jump distance.
h = .918m max height of jump
t = .433 seconds from jump start to finish

Same running-jump as a Dwarf: Q=6, Vo=(6*2/3) = 4m/s, a=45.
[ Spoiler ]
d = 1.63m running-jump distance.
h = .408m max height of jump
t = .289 seconds from jump start to finish

CyberSkates in action: Q=6(10), Vo=(Q*6)/3= 20m/s, a=30.
[ Spoiler ]
d = 35.3m running-jump distance.
h = 5.1m max height of jump
t = 1.02 seconds from jump start to finish

It's harder to represent a standing jump using Quickness, I'd be more inclinded to use Strength, but either way: S=6, Vo=(S/3)=2m/s, a=90.
[ Spoiler ]
d = 0m running-jump distance.
h = .204m max height of jump
t = .204 seconds from jump start to finish

Problem with using a real-life approach would be making the jump wouldn't really be a test of skill as much as landing the jump. Since Vo for game purposes will equal Vt when landing I would think the TN should be based on the landing speed and conditions of the ground more that how high you jump.

Just some thoughts on a boring day-before-the-holiday at work.

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 25 2004, 01:26 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,670

Again, I refer readers to my previous post.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.