IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Max # of pool dice, How many can I add?
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 10 2004, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

So, the general rule is that you can't add more dice than the original skill with a pool, unless it's a damage resistance roll, in which case use all you can. Right?

So, my question is, when adding dice from multiple pools (such as astral combat and astral pool, or specific spell focus and spell pool) can you only double the original number of dice from the skill, or can you add that many dice from each applicable pool? Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ombre
post Nov 10 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,652

I'd say the maximum number of dice is still capped by your Skill Rating, no matter where you take the dice from....

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 10 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Actually, the general rule is that you can add as many dice as you like unless a specific pool or rule states otherwise... at which point the limitation exists for each pool individually. See SR3 p. 43 for more details (second paragraph on the second column).

There is a FAQ answer on this topic, however, but it includes tidbits that are contrary to the canon rules (namely the last part).

QUOTE (http://shadowrunrpg.com/resources/faq.shtml)
Can dice from more than one pool be used if both pools are applicable? If a character can use dice from more than one pool at once, is he still limited to a number of total pool dice equal to the appropriate skill?
Yes and Yes. Astral Pool can be used along with Astral Combat Pool, for example. You can never use more pool dice (total, from all applicable pools) than the relevant skill dice.

This post has been edited by Doctor Funkenstein: Nov 10 2004, 08:15 PM

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 10 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I'm 99% sure it's like Ombre said, you can't add more Pool dice than the skill (or whatever the normal limitation to Pool dice usage is in the particular test) regardless of how many separate Pools you draw dice from. Couldn't find where it says that with a cursory glance, though (since it's not in Dice Pools, sr3.43-44 nor in the Initiation section/Astral Pool in MitS). Might be under the Task Pool descriptions in M&M?

[Edit]Or maybe I just read it from the FAQ that Doctor Funkenstein just quoted.[/Edit]

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Nov 10 2004, 08:13 PM

+Quote Post
tjn
post Nov 11 2004, 02:07 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

Here for a recent discussion on te topic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.