Edward
post Nov 11 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,587

Basic weapons.
Gang arsenals

I was thinking about gangs and violence in 2050s & 2060sand availability of money to such. And how this would impact there weapon selection.

An Ares predator is good value on the street, it ill last a long time and looks good and is easy to get. Any punk can probably have one within a day. Regular ammunition is also easy to get and probably all a ganger would use. But even this is 20 nuyen for a box of 10. (Remarkably expensive compared to today’s ammunition prices is what has been said hear) at that price I would expect a ganger to consider ammunition conservation. A fire fight can easily cost more than a meal.

What about grenades. They start at 30 nuyen each and are not always available buying them on the street your probably paying as much as 3-4 days eats.

This got me thinking about the old mainstays of gangs that have been being used for hundreds of years. Improvised melee weapons are easy to figure but what about improvised fire bombs.

What else would you see gangers using when nobody has seen fit to give them financial backing

Edward
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Nov 11 2004, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,628

Molotovs for sure, and the Terrorists Handbook.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 11 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Toss in a gang member with chemistry 4 and a copy of the neo-anarchist's cookbook. They'll have low grade napalm, thermite, unstable explosives, and other generally more hazardous variants of explosives. I, of course, mean hazardous to the users.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 11 2004, 08:11 PM
Post #4

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

Chains, crowbars, 2x4s, baseball bats, golf clubs, other miscellaneous poles laying about (usually in dumpsters).

Guns are usually shot at the beginning then ignored until you find somebody hiding in a corner who happens to be good at running.

A sword if you can find another ganger with one and kill him/her.

Basically, lots of blunt objects and very few edged weapons (outside of knives).

If you feel like getting really creative... Spray paint, shoot, shrapnel + paint explosion.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 11 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

For flavor, Go-gangers with spears (or combat knives on the end of poles) that can be used as lances. Blunt versions (or just the poles) could be used for initiation and/or status within the gang ... or not. ;)

All kinds of blades (short of quality swords, etc) would be available to gangs. Axes and machetes would also be common, as would long knives and even kitchen-type ginsu things. Hatchets are cheap and easy to acquire, as are hammers and picks of all sorts. Any different kind of club or sports implement that could possibly used offensively (and some defensively as armor), bricks, pipes, car aerials, fence posts, etc.

But they've all got one thing in common ... they're all willing to upgrade. ;)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 11 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Just walking into a DIY store today nets an amazing amount of offensive weaponry.

Hatchets and wood axes; various kinds of pick; knives of assorted sizes and designs; chisels to make a stabbing weapon...

There's this thing, it's some kind of a tiling tool I think - a haft about a foot and a half long with a slightly backwards-pointing right angle at the end. Sharpen that up for a kind of shortened kama (Japanese sickle axe).

For the somewhat bizarre, what about a petrol-powered strimmer? Take the safety guard off and you get a weird but nasty weapon to shove in someone's face. Chainsaws, of course, remain popular if not overly effective.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Nov 11 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #7

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

For 450 nuyen (after street index), it's hard to go wrong with an UZI III, and of course there's the ever popular Street Sweeper shotgun (always fun), loaded up with whatever stray handful of pointy crap they find on the sidewalk.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 12 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

[canon:off]

"Hi, my name's Killer, and I'm a drug deal. I carry a stash of beetles worth over five thousand nuyen with me, and I run a joytoy ring worth double that daily. To protect my assests, I turn to my trusty... crowbar."

Gangs are the ones with AK97s loaded with CopkillersTM explosive ammo in the trunks of their 100,000Ą cars, and a Savalette Guardian stuffed in their pants. Everyone else is a wannbe.

+Quote Post
Sabosect
post Nov 12 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,741

If you play in my face to face game, the typical gang has enough C-12 to wipe out a Lonestar building in one crash and is not unknown for having grenade and missile launchers. Nothing like making you feel bad when they have more firepower than you do.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Nov 12 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Edward)
But even this is 20 nuyen for a box of 10.  (Remarkably expensive compared to today’s ammunition prices is what has been said hear) at that price I would expect a ganger to consider ammunition conservation. A fire fight can easily cost more than a meal.

Considering the sometimes bizzare pricing on items (all relavent to when the prices were first thought up) I wonder how much thought was given to inflation?

IIRC, inflation is something like 4% per year, so 1990 (SR1) to 2064 (SR3) would be about 74 years worth of inflation or ~300% of today's prices. Yeah there are lots of factors to consider, but triple todays costs on items would probably give a rough idea.

74 years ago (1930), you could eat all week on a dollar i'm sure, and I bet ammo was relatively expensive comparatively speaking.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Nov 12 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #11

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

I like Stun batons for my gangers.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 12 2004, 01:08 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

To quote myself from an earlier thread:
Inflation has nothing to do with how one item has become 10 times more expensive relative to the price of another, related item. This is the main problem with ammo prices -- handguns cost about the same amount of nuyen in 2064 as they do cost USD in 2004, but ammunition costs easily 10 times more.

Also: The unit of currency has changed, so no calculation can be done concerning inflation from the current world USD to the 2060s nuyen. Most importantly, though, only the prices of certain items have rised while others have stayed the same or fallen, without any logical reasons for why this happened, so inflation absolutely cannot be used to justify the price changed in any way whatsoever.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 12 2004, 01:17 AM
Post #13

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
so inflation absolutely cannot be used to justify the price changed in any way whatsoever.

Other than the fact that I hate when you use absolutes, the number of legal hassels and hoops jumped through to produce a product does seem to increases without any sort of logical progression, and that adds to the final cost. I can almost here the ammo manufacturer, "The high prices of ammunition are the results of expensive research, stringent testing, and high government taxes. Never mind our profit margins are beyond the pale, it's the Canadian regulations and American appetite for new and better." :rotfl:

Besides, a frelling BTL costs 250 nuyen a pop, so the price of ammo and food is marginal, IMO.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 12 2004, 01:25 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

I challenge you to find an example of a nuyen price of an SR good the price increase compared to current (or 1998) USDs can be reasonable explained by inflation.

The fact that the currency unit has changed pre-empts it pretty damn effectively.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 12 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #15

Beetle Eater

The fact that the currency unit has changed pre-empts it pretty damn effectively.

That was the whole point: new currency, keep the prices the same but change the value. Inflation is the reason that prices of some goods in nuyen are the same as those items in today's dollar. I just hate it when you say, "absolutely cannot in any way whatsoever." No good reason other than I'm that type of person.

+Quote Post
Conskill
post Nov 12 2004, 01:33 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,811

Compare it to lifestyle.

Figure the average person pulls in enough for their lifestyle + change (the higher up you go, the more change) per month. I'd put gangers at Low, so having a trusty firearm they've saved up for + ammo isn't out of reach. Plus whatever freakish loot you want them to have.

Not a match for a shadowrunner by any stretch of the imagination, but that's why they're gangers. If you want gangers that'll be a challange to the PCs your best options are a gang with patrons, a gang with an insanely good source of loot (who knew someone could repair that abandoned Citymaster?), or starting the PCs much weaker than average.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 12 2004, 01:47 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Kanada Ten: So I take it you agree with the fact that inflation cannot reasonably be used to excuse the price of any item in SR, you just object to the absolutes? The first bit of your message is confusing. The 2060s nuyen prices of common goods could be numerically equal to current USD price regardless of whether there's hyperinflation, massive deflation, or just plain no change in real aggregate prices of consumer goods.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 12 2004, 01:53 AM
Post #18

Chrome to the Core

Well, considering you can get the equivalent of a survival knife for less than $10 USD (450 nuyen in-game) and a good combat axe for around $150 USD (and 750 nuyen in-game), we can safely assume all the prices are fubared.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 12 2004, 01:56 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

Kanada Ten: So I take it you agree with the fact that inflation cannot reasonably be used to excuse the price of any item in SR, you just object to the absolutes? The first bit of your message is confusing. The 2060s nuyen prices of common goods could be numerically equal to current USD price regardless of whether there's hyperinflation, massive deflation, or just plain no change in real aggregate prices of consumer goods.

Right, I agree with you. I remember a line from a much earlier book that said if the player wants something for a character that isn't in the books, just use today's price and change the units to nuyen. Why they didn't do that for ammo, I have no idea. The funny thing is how cheap airplanes and choppers are, but I blame that on falling standards for the airline industry. Damn special interests and lobbyists!

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 12 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

In the early iterations of the game, the designers thought you couldn't fire a gun and run at the same time. I think you're expecting a little much of these guys.

I mean, really— do research and find reasonably sane prices? Why, that'd just make too much sense.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 12 2004, 02:07 AM
Post #21

Chrome to the Core

Glad I never looked into SR1 much... I might've decided to kill them and save everybody the pain.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Nov 12 2004, 03:52 AM
Post #22

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

Melee weapons and light pistols. MAYBE a light smg.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 12 2004, 04:30 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Maybe a light SMG? I don't know if you guys have heard, but the Crips aren't exactly hurting for firepower. So long as it's cheap and available, they cab get it, and that includes heavy pistols, shotguns, and assault rifles. The skill to use them effectively, on the other hand, well, not so much.

If you hold less with the urban gang paradigm and more with the dirt poor, third world sprawl idea, watch City of God or Black Hawk Down. They can still be very heavily armed.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 12 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #24

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Easy use the Ganger creation rules in SRComp for your NPC gangers. After all, we are not discriminating against NPC gangers right?

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 12 2004, 05:28 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 11 2004, 08:53 PM)
Well, considering you can get the equivalent of a survival knife for less than $10 USD (450 nuyen in-game) and a good combat axe for around $150 USD (and 750 nuyen in-game), we can safely assume all the prices are fubared.

The modern survival knife doesn't come with a trauma patch.

If you are a face or take connected: buy edged weapons and connected: sell slap patches, you can make a killing by buying survival knives, taking the patch out, and reselling it. If your GM allows this without limit, though, you should go back to your video games.

Where can you buy a combat axe today? This is a 2 meter long monstrosity that they're talking about, and I've never seen anything for sale of that size that would work effectively as anything other than a conversation piece.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.