Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ways to limit a sniping PC, APDS sniping spoils the plot
Mr.Cato
post Nov 16 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,794

I'm am running "Brainscan" with my group and I am thinking of ways to limit one players use of his 15D (think it is) sniper-rifle with APDS ammo. The group has generally been reluctant to use APDS because of threats that NPCs would start using too.

I don't mind the PC's to find ways to spoil the plot... thats just interesting.. but the sniper annoys me a little as it counters powerful single NPCs.
Bottomline is that I would like to make it more of a hassle... having that sniper in the back of the truck.

I was thinking about some routine police check of the van, or something like that

...also thinking about gang-attack as he killed the leader of "red hot nukes".. but I don't know how they could figure out who shot the 2 bullets. He picked him out from far away.

any other creative ideas ?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DigitalMage
post Nov 16 2004, 10:10 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 340

Make it so that the people he wants to snipe at are in doors and not by windows. Or ismply use settings where the sniper has no vantage point accessible.

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Nov 16 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,560

Well, it could be the gang attacking randomly. Think wrong place, wrong time. The gang doesn't need to know they took out the leader, just use some dialogue that lets them know that with members vying for control the group has broken up into factions, trying to up the other in general mayhem. Another thing you could do is alter the run a little and put the NPCs indoors (which greatly reduces sniper ability) or have "fakes" of the target. Surgically altered duplicates open up all manner of things, especially with cultured bioware, matching the target's DNA 100%. The random inspection's a good idea but you could also make him carry it somewhere. Unless the weapon breaks down well, traveling with it will be incredibly hard, especially if they have to pass through metal detectors at some point.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 16 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Or just let the PCs blast the poor chump into steaming hamburger. If you try to weasel out *every* time that the PCs try to do something other than go in guns blazing (or whatever or preferred method of resolution is) then they will tend to do that, event when it is not 'appropriate'.

If they've planned out a devilish ambush that will level the bad guys without any of them even knowing they are under attack, much less have a chance to get a shot off, then let the do it. It's not like god has it in for them.

The real question is how can I keep the sniper rifle from being able to solve *every* problem, not how can I keep the sniper rifle from solving *any* problem.

There are plenty of limiters on what a sniper can do:

Time, setting up a show requires that the sniper get into position ahead of time, in addition this usually requires stealthy movement, which is even slower.

Line of sight, to shoot something, the sniper nned to be able to get LOS to the target (we'll ignor shooting through walls and stuff). Plenty of things take place inside, or outside where lines of sight are difficult to obtain.

Movement, if the bad buys move away from the 'covered area' then the sniper will have to come up with something else.

Counter sniper. Have the bad guys wear 'sniper finder' microphones, so that the sound of the bullet is carefully triangulated and then the snipers position hit by drones, artilliery, etc.

Note that the sniper should still be useful at least some of the time

+Quote Post
Mr.Cato
post Nov 16 2004, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,794

and also... are we doing it right by not giving any combat pool to help the damage soak, because of surprise?

...because no karma pool will save you from 15D APDS with 10-12 sucesses without karma pool.

hmm.. just thought about using the "hand of god" karma option. That is an option for an important NPC I would think.

+Quote Post
Blaze
post Nov 16 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 1,321

One assumes the character is using the Barrett 121 rifle (it's the only one I know with a damage code like that). There's a few things you can do...
First, limit the supply of ammo. Those Barrett rounds aren't easy to come by, and if the player is up against more targets than he has (and can get) ammo, he'll have to choose his targets wisely.
Second, drones and vehicles. IIRC drones use the same vehicle damage reduction rules as vehicles, and APDS doesn't help against vehicle armour, meaning that 14D-halves-armour weapon is suddenly doing 7S and the target not only gets full benefit of its armour, it's probably got control pool too.
Third, play merry hell with Line of Sight. While lethal, sniper rifles have their effectiveness significantly reduced in tight terrain, and he can only shoot at what he can see while a goon with an AK98 can always lob a launched grenade in his general direction...
Fourth, a sniper directs a specific threat at a specific individual, meaning the Detect Enemies spell makes for a great early warning system.
Fifth, any sniper who sits still and plinks for too long is likely to attract a significant amount of fire. Any combat-trained troops are likely to know to scatter, find cover, locate the sniper and then suppress him with autofire and/or light artillery (mortars are great for this). He'll have to relocate, which means keeping his head down to avoid being spotted. Give him significant TN penalties for firing a sniper rifle from an unbraced position.
Finally, the best thing to do to a sniper it so pit him against an opposing countersniper. Not only does that tie his big gun up for a while, the player will be most chuffed when/if he finally takes out his nemesis.

-JH.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 16 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #7

Runner

Detect Spells are range limited (Magic x 10 meters and extended versions magic X 100 iirc), a lot of snipers will be setup outside the 100 meter mark, so your targets will need the extended version of detect enemies.

Hmm, I notice that detect enemies only works for the target himself, Ie a bodyguard can't use it to find guys who want to whack the target and have no interest in the bodyguard. Better develop a 'detect enemies of the president' spell...

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Nov 16 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

Add a counter sniper into one of the missions.
It won't stop him from sniping, but it will scare the shit out of him when a couple of rounds land right next to his position and it will make him nervous from then on.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 16 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Detect Spells are range limited (Magic x 10 meters and extended versions magic X 100 iirc)

Magic x Force (x10 for extended). :)

+Quote Post
Reaver
post Nov 16 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,153

I reduce the damage code one level as a house rule. AP rounds in general are great for going through armor, but don't do near as much damage as a standard ball or hollow point.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 16 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #11

Runner

Alas, assuming that the gun fire 50 cal browning, even AP rounds will blow a fist sized hole in you.

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 16 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,670

I think any gaming group has had a problem sniper charecter. But in my groups the super powerful sniper was never near the action, or it would move very quickly away. I don't think it was ever on purpose, it just happened that way. In any case, it kept his Barret away. (Why do all snipers have to use that freakin gun !?!?)

+Quote Post
Blaze
post Nov 16 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 1,321

Most sniper characters I've had have ignored the Barrett- the weapon's pricy, the ammo even more so, and it can only fire APDS. By contrast the Walther is more stable and allows you to choose ammo best suited for the target, the Ranger SM3 can be broken down to conceal when you're getting to your vantage point (downside is its tendency to fall out of alignment easily), and the Remington 950 is cheap-as-chips, infinitely tailorable, can be covered by a permit for legal use and effective enough against anything short of a troll in Milspec armour (try fitting one with a silencer, Smartlink-II and Rangefinder, then chamber Glasers and go for unarmoured parts of the target). Personally I go for the Remington unless I really need the range a 'true' sniper rifle provides.

-JH.

+Quote Post
lspahn72
post Nov 16 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 5,975

If your sniper character is unbalanceing your game use some of the conceal and cover suggestions, or indoor suggestions. Nature Spirits, Elementals, and Watchers can be great for flushing out a sniper without him knownig.... then bring the house down on him....I HATE A DAMN SNIPER!

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Nov 16 2004, 03:06 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

Because they're idiots.

The Barett 121 is simply a waste of money. Since it can only use APDS rounds, it makes the sniper a one trick pony. He can kill people...and...uh...kill people.

-No gel rounds. This makes taking people alive much more difficult, especially if your GM is fond of deadlier over-damage.

-No AV rounds. Vehicle armor 7+ makes you cry.

-No ex-explosive rounds. This being a downside depends on how your GM deals with APDS vs barriers. Does he halve the barrier rating solely for the purposes of shooting through or does he halve it for the purposes of damaging the barrier too? If the former, this is a downside. If the latter, it's not. A 14S sniper rifle with ex-explosive rounds does funny things to barriers. If you shot a rating 12 barrier once, you would create a 1.5 meter hole. Shooting a rating 16 barrier would create a half-meter hole.

-----------
As for dealing with snipers...

If he lacks vision enhancements, you can use smoke, glare, invisibility, etc to ruin his day. Or use illusions to make multiple copies of the target. Or just stop using single bad guys and start using groups of enemies. Or give the bad guy an ally spirit that looks just like him. Or roving mobs of air elementals or drones looking for anyone with a rifle in the area.

+Quote Post
Fonitrus
post Nov 16 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 3,321

One assumes the character is using the Barrett 121 rifle

By now you (Mr.Cato) have noticed how nasty allowing certain items can be and you there is a lesson in this. Either dont do it again or minimize damage-control after you have messed up.
Few ways to damage control this:
1. Admit you screwed up and give the player a free sport rifle and all the gizmos jus as long as he doesnt pick that beast. (not such a good deal)
2. Admit you screwed up and just say he cant have that gun. (risky may cost you a player)
3. Remove the 'toy' from play by various way (theft, damage, kill the player), all of which are just going to piss the player off. (risky as well but less direct)
4. 'Play' with the player's characater using the game mechanics and make him realize its in his best interest to use the rifle on rare ocasions (deterance strategy)

this deterance strategy was partially covered (yet still in good enough detail) by Blaze so i will only add a few things...

That big ass anti-materiel sniper rifle is not concealable. Annoy/harrass him with constant perception checks and maybe the occasional "a woman is looking at you and takes out her mobile phone......" etc etc etc...
eventually he will learn not to carry the thing everywhere...
If he does not have any other short range skill to fall back on and the sniper/rifle skill is his only option then maybe he can find a carbine (uses rifle skill) of some sort that you like and then when he starts using that he will soon forget the other..or use less..

The good old mini-run is always an oportunity you should exploit.
Dont just let him snipe rambo style. Through perception checks tell him he needs a better vatage point. NOw geting to the vantage point maybe a mini-advanture itself. The old lady next door is hanging the clothes at the top of the building and she stop the runner and starts telling him her life story..what he doesn know is she is awakened and casted some influence sorta spell to make him listen to her story... now she is telling him a story for few minutes etc etc(which can hint on further runs or some such sort)..Never miss an oportunity to have an NPC spill the beans on totaly unrelated but potential run information.
By the time he sets up, the targets have moved inside...

Finally, the best thing to do to a sniper it so pit him against an opposing countersniper. Not only does that tie his big gun up for a while, the player will be most chuffed when/if he finally takes out his nemesis.

Yea. Enemy at the Gates style..well not realy their unique style since armies have used snipers in counter sniper/counter inteligence roles since snipers were first invented but a good advice.
If the player is a good feiend or you just dont want to kill him right off then have a sniper wanabe with like skill 3 (+3 combat pool per shot) and a remington sporting rifle..that will harras the player sniper...add on heavy mods cause the other sniper wont be in the open but rather shooting through small port holes/gaps wherever he is...so have the sniper vs sniper rally prolong to such level that he is no longer a threat to the BOSS style nasty u said u had planned for the group...

There are many ways you can 'taylor' the players actions to what you like. Overt or covert, your choice. The ideal solution is what works for you not what others say it should. To my group I used to ran for me it did not matter if they had a panthr cannon or they just mugged a cab driver. I always found a way to make the whole exprience fun. Often GMs value NPCs too much and dont realize the game (for me atleast) is suposed to be as far from reality as the mechanics allow.
Let the players have fun. In Real life you struggle to make ends meet and you drive a beat up 20year old Datsun but in SR you can have the sleakest sports car available at chargen...
The moment GMs pit themselves against the players the whole game just breaks down because when the players are limited to game mechanics and gear from the GMs world and he is free to use and rule as he please then most people just yell "cheat" and f##k off to find another game...
Have fun..they shot an NPC..so what..make another one..dont make it a dull experience...roll down on the floor gurgling water or spit as you stumble....its just a game...dont sweat too much about it..be inovative with the fun :)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 16 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Don't APDS rounds function as AV against vehicles? Or is it the other way around? Been a while since I looked at those rules.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 16 2004, 04:37 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Uhm, no. AV ammo functions as APDS against metahuman targets. Hence AV being "anti-vehicular." It'd be pretty pointless if you could just use APDS for that.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 16 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

Assuming that the sniper is beyond the range of an extended Detect (Guns) (which anyone who would routinely make themself a target for snipers should have security mages casting like mad), he is at least at long range (6 force, 6 magic => 360 meters away or detected). That means if he has a SL-2 and a range finder he will be looking for 5's if he is calling a shot to bypass armor, 3's if he isn't (this also assumes he doesn't have any modifiers for visibility and can even get the line of sight from 1/4 mile away).

Couple that with an achoring focus with Detect Bullets and Armor. Since the sniper will not be able to put combat pool into a called shot to bypass armor if he wants a target number of 2 (pg. 107, SR3, "take aim"), he has the choice of a lot of dice or full armor. If this guy is someone important, he should be wearing second skin under his clothes, probably have on armored clothing as well, and toss on another 6+ points of armor from the armor spell. If he is really important he may have a Detect Bullets+Physical barrier anchoring focus also (probably from a different mage so that she doesn't die from drain when they get triggered). All of those things together could probably get to around an armor of 14 or more before the APDS kicks in. With karmic rerolls and a decent body, the situation for a well prepared person (who has a trauma damper and platelet factory, as well) may result in the ability to live through the surprise round of a sniper attack. If they have people prepared to lay down supressive fire on the snipers location they may even live to see another day.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Nov 16 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #20

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Also IIRC the Barrett 121 is as long as the average person id tall and either can't be broken down or takes a lot of effort to do so. Try playing up the difficulties of hauling the thing around. Make it so that they don't have a lot of time to set up so they can't take it in dismantled or if they do then they have to hand around and risk the chance of being noticed.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 16 2004, 05:54 PM
Post #21

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Also IIRC the Barrett 121 is as long as the average person id tall and either can't be broken down or takes a lot of effort to do so. Try playing up the difficulties of hauling the thing around. Make it so that they don't have a lot of time to set up so they can't take it in dismantled or if they do then they have to hand around and risk the chance of being noticed.

I was just about to hit that point.

Let's see him lug around a metahuman-sized package and not get stopped by Lone Star.

"Hey, son, whatcha got in thar?"
"Uh, nothin'."
"Then ya won't mind us seeing nothin', will ya?"

Not even a minute later...

"DOWN ON THE GROUND! HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!"
*cuff*

Or, if they're feeling particularly uncaring...

*draw pistol, gunshot to the head, take Barret as "evidence" that he was planning to assassinate somebody important*

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 16 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #22

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Remember, almost all vision modifiers stack. don't be afraid of glare, smoke, mist, light rain, etc.

Also, constant sniping of the target is the mark of a relative amateur, as sniping is more for demoralization than it is for killing (militarily speaking. Kill a guy, team is pissed at shooter, wound a guy so he dies slowly and painfully, team is agonized over wathing friend die slowly and they gotta live with not being willing to go fetch him)
Modern security forces would be very aware of counter-sniper tactics and will make use of them when necessary, those tree's in the atrium aren't just for looks and oxygen, they provide 'cover' as well.
Sniping isn't easy, nothing fully negates the vision mods. if you are giving the shooter the bare minimum of TN's then you are doing a disservice to the player (lack of challenge) and the game designers.
TN mods quickly add up and repair the perceived lack of balance

+Quote Post
Edward
post Nov 16 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

If the job is to kill somebody expect the sniper to steal the show. With the exception of those that rarely if ever leave a building he will do the job. So don’t give them to many assassination runs. Or give them runs along the lines of “find and eliminate the person that did X. once they know who did it the sniper can show of his skills and still feal like a useful character but the entire party was needed to work out who it was he needed to kill.

Also the Barrett (if that is what he is using) is a rare weapon with specialised ammunition. It is possible to track its purchase more than most other weapons.

Also use the other ideas suggested above. In order to make the game fun for all however you should let him use his signature skill a fair portion of the time.

As to the gang there the first question. Was he in combat with the rest of the teem at the time (or where they on the seen soon after). If so and the teem is known to include a sniper it will become gang verses teem (not gang verses sniper).

If this was not the case there are 3 ways they could work it out.
1) sniper was spotted. Make a perception check with a very high DC for those near the leader. If they succeed they have some clew as to the identity of the sniper.
2) sniper left some evidence where he shot from, camera footage or ritual links are possible but the gang is unlikely to be able to locate this.
3) next time the sniper is in a bar have him get into a bragging contest with a stranger or lese acquaintance. Have the subject of the assassination of the gang leader come up. “I would shore like to shake the hand of the man that pulled that off, killed the king and left them scurrying around like a swarm of ants without a trail to follow” if he claims responsibility it will get back to the gang, no roll he should have known better than to brag.

If none of these is logical (and he fails to fall for the trap) he gets away with it. It can happen if your good enough and on this occasion he was. Maybe he will get sloppy next time.

If you want the truly disgusting sniper use a mage. With a sniper rifle. Sustaining focuses for levitate, invisibility, stealth, maybe enhance aim. Perhaps masking, a spirit near by using concealment on him. Shoot just of strait down. The opposition will focus on the buildings and for relatively little movement you can make them think there are multiple snipers. The difficulty is recoil because there is nothing to brace against.

Edward

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Nov 16 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #24

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

don't be afraid of glare, smoke, mist, light rain, etc.

This one's a biggie for any urban setting, especially Seattle. I don't know if you've ever been there, but it's *always* raining or misty, and at night the lights from the city get mixed up in that and add a bunch of glare everywhere. Personally I think such vision mods should be made *worse* for snipers, because they have more of it to peer through than someone in close quarters.

All this mist and stuff is great for concealed-carriers, as long coats are being worn nearly year-round over there due to the near constant rain, but it's very annoying for the sniper who has to look through all of it at his target.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 16 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Uhm, no. AV ammo functions as APDS against metahuman targets. Hence AV being "anti-vehicular." It'd be pretty pointless if you could just use APDS for that.

Geez. No need to get all snappy on me. It's not like it even makes sense.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.