IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steriods...YUM!, Are there any disadvantages?
Cable
post Nov 18 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,670

I've read over the section on drugs and steriods over and over again, and I can't find any fault in them. Everybody, PCs and NPCs should be regular steroid users. What am I missing?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
heliocentric
post Nov 18 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,724

I don't have the rules in front of me at the moment, but as I recall there are some side-effects that need to be role-played out. Yeah steroids will help you from a purely systemic standpoint, but violent mood swings are not good in a game where stealth and discresion are more important than shooting up as many targets as possible.

Anyone remember Jim Carry's female bodybuilder character on In Living Color?

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 18 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Probably the tolerance build up, but not sure off-hand.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 18 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

You could also use rules similair to the over amped initiative rules for simulation the "roid rage" where the amount of str gained from the drugs decrease your chance to go off in stressful non-combat situations

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Nov 18 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

They still use the normal drug addiction rules, aka "Once you become addicted, your body falls apart". While in the case of steroids this isn't as bad as normal drugs(They lower the cost of raising body), it still sucks.

Sure, the TN for the tests is pretty low, but consider that it says 'heavy doses'. That may mean multiple times per day, depending on your GM. You'd be addicted in no time.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 18 2004, 03:49 PM
Post #6

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (M&M @ p. 118)
Continued steroid use may result in adverse effects such as acne, hallucinations, aggressive behavior, hair loss, sterility, impotence, muscle spasms and hypertension--among others.  Gamemasters can stimulate these effects with appropriate Flaws and modifiers, or perhaps even with occasional Stress damage.

Er... No faults?

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Nov 18 2004, 03:58 PM
Post #7

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Nov 18 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

can you get acne with dermal armor? (im pretty sure you cant with a cyberskull).

the best way to use this stuff, would be to see a doctor and get some advice, or slot a medical knowsoft. this would justify proper IC knowedge of doseage and risks. A high body would be very helpfull, and some of the problems may be overcome by bioware.

Compared to how muscle replacement or muscle augmentation can frag up your system, steroids are actualy a pretty good alternative. They dont require invasive surgury, you just need to work out for a few weeks. For someone with strength 3, they could get +2 strength for 9 weeks of workout + 9 karma (~2 months), and quit before tolerance became an issue. the bonus stacks with all cyber and bio (though bio does have a maximum), and a bod of 3 will on average see 2 sucesses on the adiction roll.

recognizing and treating addiction quickly would be important (have one of your chummers spot for ya at the gym, and keep an eye on you, callin your street doc if theres a problem)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 18 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Your package shrinks.

I'd say that would be a pretty good deterrant.

But I'd be wrong, apparantly...

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 18 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Two Words: Mr. Stud Implant.

Ok, three words.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Nov 18 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Your package shrinks.

For normal people? Sure.

For people who don't mind replacing large portions of their bodies with mechanical parts to the point of nearly losing their own humanity, I don't see how it'd really merit very much consideration.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 18 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #12

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 18 2004, 02:28 PM)
Your package shrinks.

For normal people? Sure.

For people who don't mind replacing large portions of their bodies with mechanical parts to the point of nearly losing their own humanity, I don't see how it'd really merit very much consideration.

Hey, even cyberfreaks gotta have a love life!

+Quote Post
tjn
post Nov 18 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

Like all things, if abused, steroids are dangerous.

What people forget is that we create them naturally. The reason they work so well to promote muscle growth is because our own bodies create them to do just that. However, after the human body gets out of it's teenage years, our production fades.

Or didja think it was just magic that teenagers had pimples and an irritable personality? That's a gross simplification, but the connection is still there.

People, with the proper supervision (doctors), can use steriods to recover from injuries and don't become the spazes associated with steroid abuse. But at most, this is limited to about one month out of a year or more to avoid the more permanent effects.

If the PC has access to the proper knowledge and equipment, a two or three week stint to bulk up a point would not have those adverse long term effects. Only with prolonged abuse and trying to jump several points should a GM start applying those Flaws.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Nov 18 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #14

Chrome to the Core

Don't forget the upped testosterone, thusly attributing to more body-hair/facial-hair growth (on women as well).

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Nov 18 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #15

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Two Words: Mr. Stud Implant.

"All night, every night, and she'll never know. Also available in 'Midnight Lady.' +2 to Seduction rolls."

I love my CP2020 silliness.

Seriously, though, if a character starts using steroids very heavily I'd start applying stress on any bioware or delicate cyberware the character had involved unless they got it serviced very regularly. Why? Despite being biological, it's been pretty well established that bioware is a foreign object and can be damaged by shifts in body chemistry/integrity, which is precisely what steroids change. Furthermore, if the character has Betaware, or god forbid, Deltaware, both of those are tailored for an individual's biological patterns and hormonal mix, so as to not clash. If you start messing with that natural balance, they're going to get messed up, period. That's one of the reasons you have to service 'ware - to adjust them to the minor changes in body makeup/rhythym over time.

Furthermore, just from an RP perspective, who wants to go back to being a teenager? I'd rather get shot in the knees.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Nov 18 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (tjn)
Like all things, if abused, steroids are dangerous.

What people forget is that we create them naturally. The reason they work so well to promote muscle growth is because our own bodies create them to do just that. However, after the human body gets out of it's teenage years, our production fades.

Or didja think it was just magic that teenagers had pimples and an irritable personality? That's a gross simplification, but the connection is still there.

People, with the proper supervision (doctors), can use steriods to recover from injuries and don't become the spazes associated with steroid abuse. But at most, this is limited to about one month out of a year or more to avoid the more permanent effects.

If the PC has access to the proper knowledge and equipment, a two or three week stint to bulk up a point would not have those adverse long term effects. Only with prolonged abuse and trying to jump several points should a GM start applying those Flaws.

I think the oversimplification is a little dangerous here— especially the "explanation" of teenage acne and behavior patterns.

Anyway, artificial steroids, even taken under doctor supervision, are really fucking dangerous. Bone decalcification is becoming a serioud problem with the overprescription of steroids, and beware any doctor that is willing to prescirbe them you without trying pretty much anything else first. The complifications from steroid use, mcuh less abuse, are huge.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Nov 18 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Teulisch @ Nov 18 2004, 12:35 PM)
can you get acne with dermal armor? (im pretty sure you cant with a cyberskull).

Uh... it's a cyberskull, not a cyberhead (scalp acne is a bitch).

I imagine DA would keep it from appearing where the armor is, but AFAIK that doesn't include the face.

+Quote Post
tjn
post Nov 19 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Arethusa @ Nov 18 2004, 05:42 PM)
Anyway, artificial steroids, even taken under doctor supervision, are really fucking dangerous.  Bone decalcification is becoming a serioud problem with the overprescription of steroids, and beware any doctor that is willing to prescirbe them you without trying pretty much anything else first.  The complifications from steroid use, mcuh less abuse, are huge.

You're confusing corticosteroids with anabolic steroids. They're different things. The steroids you are thinking of are more for reducing inflamation and have been used for arthritis. Which is where I believe this "decalcification" scare has come from. If a doctor gives something that tends to bleech calcium to someone already at risk for osteoporosis, it shouldn't be that shocking to see that the individual actually develops osteoporosis.

And again, anything is dangerous if abused. You can overdose on water if you drank enough.

Taking anabolic steroids for a single "cycle" is unlikely to have lasting damage. The user will have liver, reproductive, and circulatory side effects on top of a increased aggressive and irritable personality, but these are usually not dramatic enough (IMO) to cause a game effect and they usually fade after the individual stops taking the steroids.

If the player insists to continue, then start applying the Flaws, but assuming that anabolic steroids will automatically turn people in roid freaks is just as ignorant as the gym rats who assume that it's perfectly harmless.

This post has been edited by tjn: Nov 19 2004, 12:11 AM

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 19 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Overdose is a incorrect word with regard to water. Not counting mechanical damage from excessive consumption you can dilute and excrete too many necessary minerals, but that's just about it.

~J

+Quote Post
tjn
post Nov 19 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

It's exceptionally rare but like anything taken in excess, it can be a problem.

Quick googling.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 19 2004, 01:43 AM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I still disagree with the term overdose, but that's pretty much what I was talking about, sodium dilution.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 19 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #22

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I believe the term is drowning?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 19 2004, 04:27 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Wow, you can be Duke Nukem in SR3! Hooray for 'roids!

+Quote Post
Voran
post Nov 19 2004, 09:40 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Hmm. Though if you can infer that Duke actually gets alot of play with all the women in his storylines.....he's probably not on roids. :P

+Quote Post
Cable
post Nov 19 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 6,670

So what we're saying is that the side effects must be roleplayed out. so, depending on the player may never happen. GM must watch carefully.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.