Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 22 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,024

How can they register the trademark, when I assume it is a trademark belonging to WizKids?

Also, if they are going to make an Xbox SR game, why bother. There are enough half-assed shooters on the Xbox already.

In my mind, the only system/console heafty enough to truely demonstrate all Shadowrun is, is a computer.

If it's Xbox, I see a game like Deus Ex 2. Crap from a good franchise.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Nov 22 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

I'm not a lawyer, so please don't take my understanding of this as gospel. However, I worked with a patent attorney for a bit, so I've had trademark law explained to me. Again, I'm not a lawyer, don't bank on this.

It's my understanding that Trademarks are only relevant within the particular field in which they're trademarked. So, for instance, Shadowrun is trademarked within the publishing industry by Wizkids. If Microsoft were to use it within the computer gaming industry -- a completely distinct industry -- they'd need to first register the trademark.

It's where industries overlap or fail to overlap that makes for nightmares.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 22 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

That's probably actually trying to trademark the custom Shadowrun logo that will be on the poster for the game that never gets produced. It'll be a slightly different creepy unidentified skull.

[edit] or the dunner could be right

+Quote Post
Spook
post Nov 22 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,667

Six years later, I still have the promo sheet for "Shadowrun : Assassian" sitting in a box somewhere.

Sadly, after seeing bunk like what Halo became, I don't think it'll be any good if anything does come out of it.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 22 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #6

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (From the Shadowrun RPG FAQ:)
Why isn't there a Shadowrun computer game or MMORPG?
Microsoft owns the computer game rights for Shadowrun, so it's in their hands. This means they make decisions regarding any Shadowrun computer games, MMORPGs and skins/modifications to existing computer games (computer game aids for the Shadowrun RPG are under the jurisdiction of WizKids/FanPro).
Microsoft has not announced any plans and has nothing in development at this time. If you have questions or queries, or you want to encourage them to develop a Shadowrun computer game, write to: shadowru@microsoft.com (no, that's not a typo--there's no "n" in that address).

[edit: color added for emphasis]

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Nov 22 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

I'm not a lawyer, either, but I think trademarks apply across different fields. Didn't the Beatles sue Apple computers because their recording label was called Apple, or some similar situation?

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Nov 22 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Circuit city blue boy... answer is yes. The Beatles have Apple records, they originally sued Apple computers way back, but they came to the understanding that Apple computers being in the computer field would not cause brand confusion. But now that Apple computers is selling music via the internet, they (Apple records) are now doing something (i.e. suing or raising a ruckus, I'm not sure what exactly).

Trademarks can be expired if they don't renew their registration of the mark... so MS registering the shadowrun mark for computer gaming is a sign... :D

As for my little knowledge of trademarks...
I am NOT a lawyer... but I am in law school.
Also I actually do work for the US patent and trademark office (but as a patent examiner).

Disclaimer: any comments by me does not reflect anything about my office. I'm just clarifying things for the masses. :P

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 23 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Bigity)
How can they register the trademark, when I assume it is a trademark belonging to WizKids?

Also, if they are going to make an Xbox SR game, why bother. There are enough half-assed shooters on the Xbox already.

In my mind, the only system/console heafty enough to truely demonstrate all Shadowrun is, is a computer.

If it's Xbox, I see a game like Deus Ex 2. Crap from a good franchise.

Shadowrun for Genesis was good. I also liked Shadowrun for SNES for being fun and evocative even though it didn't follow all the rules.

+Quote Post
Spook
post Nov 23 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,667

Shadowrun for Genesis was good. I also liked Shadowrun for SNES for being fun and evocative even though it didn't follow all the rules.

That was actually my first exposure to shadowrun...

For a bit of nostalgia, I downloaded SPC (snes music) files from the game to run on winamp :)

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Nov 23 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Knights of the Old Republic and Morrowind are proof enough that you can make real RPGs for the X-Box. I'd rather they made it a pure PC game, but just as long as it's a good, single player RPG rather an a POS MMORPG or action title, I'll be happy regardless of platform.

Of course, this is going to be a title for X-Box Next, anyway. (if anything comes of it)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 23 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
That's probably actually trying to trademark the custom Shadowrun logo that will be on the poster for the game that never gets produced. It'll be a slightly different creepy unidentified skull.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. You guys are thinking about copyrights. Trademarks are wholly different, and Microsoft is basically just making their (new) logo for a possibly upcoming game into a Registered Trademark.

+Quote Post
kryton
post Nov 23 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,874

I dunno I bet Micro$oft will F#&* it up. From what I can gather I don't think they'll have the stomach to make it any more than a cheesy first person shooter. I've heard Fable was a decent game with a decent amout of roleplaying. I wonder though if they'll really make it as gritty as it needs to be. My guess it's not going to be up to par with games like "Grand Theft Auto" or other games. Maybe they'll hire the right staff who knows? After hearing and seeing how the Crimson Skies game was designed they blew like 40% of they're budget on the opening credits and movie for the game. There's alot of potential I just hope they have the creative staff to really make it stick out above the noise. To do that will require alot of development and design. I would hope they get someone like Sam Lewis, Mike M., or Tom Dowd in as a developer/designers. Hell with the Shadowrun campaign I think Bitrunner would be a good "knowledge" guy for the project. I dunno after what Mike Pondsmith went through at M-Soft I'm just a bit leary is all.

It comes from drinking all that Scotch.....

I wish M-soft the best of luck....They're going to need it.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 23 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Spook)

That was actually my first exposure to shadowrun...

For a bit of nostalgia, I downloaded SPC (snes music) files from the game to run on winamp :)

It had pretty good music. I actually made a tape recording of it at one point.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 23 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

While the early SR games might have been decent, for what they were, no console comes close to giving what I'd want to see in a SR game.

The Xbox might qualify as a computer as far as the rights go, hell, it _is_ a computer.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 23 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

I'd argue that Genesis shadowrun went beyond decent and was actually tremendous fun. I've played it over probably like 10 times or something.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 23 2004, 02:26 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

For the time, but would you be satisfied with that kind of game, namely sound and graphics, today?

I never said if they were making a game based on 25 year old technology ;)

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Nov 23 2004, 02:27 AM
Post #18

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

I so talked about this months ago.... now if I can only find the posts to link to em..

+Quote Post
Dakhran the Dark
post Nov 24 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 80

Ehh. Hopefully, like the Mechwarrior games, they'll make this one for both Xbox and PC, although they may try the marketing delay bit, put it out on Xbox first.

And just to fill in some backstory for some of you, Microsoft bought out FASA Interactive (the computer game branch of FASA) a good number of years ago, then started capitalizing on this with a string of Battletech, Mechwarrior, and Crimson Skies games. Most of the original FASA crew are still employed by Microsoft, so it's not as if the same people who did the "programming" for Windoze will be doing the game design for Shadowrun -- these people have the know-how to do a decent product...

My only concern is what kind of game they're looking to do, whether a Deus Ex style FPS, or a KOTOR-style CRPG, or gods forbid, a MMORPG...

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Nov 24 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,634

For the time, but would you be satisfied with that kind of game, namely sound and graphics, today?

If it were fun and involving and challenging, yes, in a heartbeat, no question about it.

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Nov 24 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

let's just hope they don't dig back into their archives and ressurect the Assassin project...

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Nov 24 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #22

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

[QUOTE Darkharan the Dark]My only concern is what kind of game they're looking to do, whether a Deus Ex style FPS, or a KOTOR-style CRPG, or gods forbid, a MMORPG...[/QUOTE]

Iīm happy as long as itīs an RPG, or has sufficient RPG features. Worst thing that could happen is if it becomes a straight shooter or a sneaker. I would also be pleased with an adventure game with a gritty detective style. RPG is top of the list though.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 24 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #23

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Hrm...
GTD:Seattle

Grand Theft Data...

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 24 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

nd just to fill in some backstory for some of you, Microsoft bought out FASA Interactive (the computer game branch of FASA) a good number of years ago, then started capitalizing on this with a string of Battletech, Mechwarrior, and Crimson Skies games. Most of the original FASA crew are still employed by Microsoft, so it's not as if the same people who did the "programming" for Windoze will be doing the game design for Shadowrun -- these people have the know-how to do a decent product...

Yeah, but... Okay, maybe I'm biased. But Mechwarrior 3 was great, faithful to the original rules AND a great game to boot. Mechwarrior 4 (the MS one) was a pile of console-based faeces that should have been boiled alive in hot vinegar and buried in the manure pile (explain to me, please how a COMPLETELY DESTROYED LEG still lets a Mech run around with little more than a limp?). MW4 was little more than a shooter reduced to the lowest common denominator of naffness (yes, I bought it. Yes, I played it. No, I didn't bother finishing the piece of crap. Yes, I'm bitter :) )

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Nov 24 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #25

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

Does anyone whant to argue that Bugie or Bioware started making worse games when they started making them for Microsoft? To any good game designers, the origin of the money doesnīt matter as long as they can make great games. And Microsoft knows from experience that itīs good buisness to give the creative geniuses in the developing houses all the slack they need. Theyīre still evil, it just doesnīt matter in this instance.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.