Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New MS Shadowrun game?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Everfast
Take a look. Interesting.

Team Xbox - Shadowrun
Bigity
How can they register the trademark, when I assume it is a trademark belonging to WizKids?

Also, if they are going to make an Xbox SR game, why bother. There are enough half-assed shooters on the Xbox already.

In my mind, the only system/console heafty enough to truely demonstrate all Shadowrun is, is a computer.

If it's Xbox, I see a game like Deus Ex 2. Crap from a good franchise.
the_dunner
I'm not a lawyer, so please don't take my understanding of this as gospel. However, I worked with a patent attorney for a bit, so I've had trademark law explained to me. Again, I'm not a lawyer, don't bank on this.

It's my understanding that Trademarks are only relevant within the particular field in which they're trademarked. So, for instance, Shadowrun is trademarked within the publishing industry by Wizkids. If Microsoft were to use it within the computer gaming industry -- a completely distinct industry -- they'd need to first register the trademark.

It's where industries overlap or fail to overlap that makes for nightmares.
Herald of Verjigorm
That's probably actually trying to trademark the custom Shadowrun logo that will be on the poster for the game that never gets produced. It'll be a slightly different creepy unidentified skull.

[edit] or the dunner could be right
Spook
Six years later, I still have the promo sheet for "Shadowrun : Assassian" sitting in a box somewhere.

Sadly, after seeing bunk like what Halo became, I don't think it'll be any good if anything does come out of it.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (From the Shadowrun RPG FAQ:)
Why isn't there a Shadowrun computer game or MMORPG?
Microsoft owns the computer game rights for Shadowrun, so it's in their hands. This means they make decisions regarding any Shadowrun computer games, MMORPGs and skins/modifications to existing computer games (computer game aids for the Shadowrun RPG are under the jurisdiction of WizKids/FanPro).
Microsoft has not announced any plans and has nothing in development at this time. If you have questions or queries, or you want to encourage them to develop a Shadowrun computer game, write to: shadowru@microsoft.com (no, that's not a typo--there's no "n" in that address).

[edit: color added for emphasis]
CircuitBoyBlue
I'm not a lawyer, either, but I think trademarks apply across different fields. Didn't the Beatles sue Apple computers because their recording label was called Apple, or some similar situation?
PBTHHHHT
Circuit city blue boy... answer is yes. The Beatles have Apple records, they originally sued Apple computers way back, but they came to the understanding that Apple computers being in the computer field would not cause brand confusion. But now that Apple computers is selling music via the internet, they (Apple records) are now doing something (i.e. suing or raising a ruckus, I'm not sure what exactly).

Trademarks can be expired if they don't renew their registration of the mark... so MS registering the shadowrun mark for computer gaming is a sign... biggrin.gif

As for my little knowledge of trademarks...
I am NOT a lawyer... but I am in law school.
Also I actually do work for the US patent and trademark office (but as a patent examiner).

Disclaimer: any comments by me does not reflect anything about my office. I'm just clarifying things for the masses. nyahnyah.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Bigity)
How can they register the trademark, when I assume it is a trademark belonging to WizKids?

Also, if they are going to make an Xbox SR game, why bother. There are enough half-assed shooters on the Xbox already.

In my mind, the only system/console heafty enough to truely demonstrate all Shadowrun is, is a computer.

If it's Xbox, I see a game like Deus Ex 2. Crap from a good franchise.

Shadowrun for Genesis was good. I also liked Shadowrun for SNES for being fun and evocative even though it didn't follow all the rules.
Spook

Shadowrun for Genesis was good. I also liked Shadowrun for SNES for being fun and evocative even though it didn't follow all the rules.

That was actually my first exposure to shadowrun...

For a bit of nostalgia, I downloaded SPC (snes music) files from the game to run on winamp smile.gif
mmu1
Knights of the Old Republic and Morrowind are proof enough that you can make real RPGs for the X-Box. I'd rather they made it a pure PC game, but just as long as it's a good, single player RPG rather an a POS MMORPG or action title, I'll be happy regardless of platform.

Of course, this is going to be a title for X-Box Next, anyway. (if anything comes of it)
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
That's probably actually trying to trademark the custom Shadowrun logo that will be on the poster for the game that never gets produced. It'll be a slightly different creepy unidentified skull.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. You guys are thinking about copyrights. Trademarks are wholly different, and Microsoft is basically just making their (new) logo for a possibly upcoming game into a Registered Trademark.
kryton
I dunno I bet Micro$oft will F#&* it up. From what I can gather I don't think they'll have the stomach to make it any more than a cheesy first person shooter. I've heard Fable was a decent game with a decent amout of roleplaying. I wonder though if they'll really make it as gritty as it needs to be. My guess it's not going to be up to par with games like "Grand Theft Auto" or other games. Maybe they'll hire the right staff who knows? After hearing and seeing how the Crimson Skies game was designed they blew like 40% of they're budget on the opening credits and movie for the game. There's alot of potential I just hope they have the creative staff to really make it stick out above the noise. To do that will require alot of development and design. I would hope they get someone like Sam Lewis, Mike M., or Tom Dowd in as a developer/designers. Hell with the Shadowrun campaign I think Bitrunner would be a good "knowledge" guy for the project. I dunno after what Mike Pondsmith went through at M-Soft I'm just a bit leary is all.

It comes from drinking all that Scotch.....

I wish M-soft the best of luck....They're going to need it.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Spook)

That was actually my first exposure to shadowrun...

For a bit of nostalgia, I downloaded SPC (snes music) files from the game to run on winamp smile.gif

It had pretty good music. I actually made a tape recording of it at one point.
Bigity
While the early SR games might have been decent, for what they were, no console comes close to giving what I'd want to see in a SR game.

The Xbox might qualify as a computer as far as the rights go, hell, it _is_ a computer.
Wounded Ronin
I'd argue that Genesis shadowrun went beyond decent and was actually tremendous fun. I've played it over probably like 10 times or something.
Bigity
For the time, but would you be satisfied with that kind of game, namely sound and graphics, today?

I never said if they were making a game based on 25 year old technology wink.gif
Caine Hazen
I so talked about this months ago.... now if I can only find the posts to link to em..
Dakhran the Dark
Ehh. Hopefully, like the Mechwarrior games, they'll make this one for both Xbox and PC, although they may try the marketing delay bit, put it out on Xbox first.

And just to fill in some backstory for some of you, Microsoft bought out FASA Interactive (the computer game branch of FASA) a good number of years ago, then started capitalizing on this with a string of Battletech, Mechwarrior, and Crimson Skies games. Most of the original FASA crew are still employed by Microsoft, so it's not as if the same people who did the "programming" for Windoze will be doing the game design for Shadowrun -- these people have the know-how to do a decent product...

My only concern is what kind of game they're looking to do, whether a Deus Ex style FPS, or a KOTOR-style CRPG, or gods forbid, a MMORPG...
GunnerJ
For the time, but would you be satisfied with that kind of game, namely sound and graphics, today?

If it were fun and involving and challenging, yes, in a heartbeat, no question about it.
bitrunner
let's just hope they don't dig back into their archives and ressurect the Assassin project...
mintcar
[QUOTE Darkharan the Dark]My only concern is what kind of game they're looking to do, whether a Deus Ex style FPS, or a KOTOR-style CRPG, or gods forbid, a MMORPG...[/QUOTE]

Iīm happy as long as itīs an RPG, or has sufficient RPG features. Worst thing that could happen is if it becomes a straight shooter or a sneaker. I would also be pleased with an adventure game with a gritty detective style. RPG is top of the list though.
Nikoli
Hrm...
GTD:Seattle

Grand Theft Data...
DrJest
nd just to fill in some backstory for some of you, Microsoft bought out FASA Interactive (the computer game branch of FASA) a good number of years ago, then started capitalizing on this with a string of Battletech, Mechwarrior, and Crimson Skies games. Most of the original FASA crew are still employed by Microsoft, so it's not as if the same people who did the "programming" for Windoze will be doing the game design for Shadowrun -- these people have the know-how to do a decent product...

Yeah, but... Okay, maybe I'm biased. But Mechwarrior 3 was great, faithful to the original rules AND a great game to boot. Mechwarrior 4 (the MS one) was a pile of console-based faeces that should have been boiled alive in hot vinegar and buried in the manure pile (explain to me, please how a COMPLETELY DESTROYED LEG still lets a Mech run around with little more than a limp?). MW4 was little more than a shooter reduced to the lowest common denominator of naffness (yes, I bought it. Yes, I played it. No, I didn't bother finishing the piece of crap. Yes, I'm bitter smile.gif )
mintcar
Does anyone whant to argue that Bugie or Bioware started making worse games when they started making them for Microsoft? To any good game designers, the origin of the money doesnīt matter as long as they can make great games. And Microsoft knows from experience that itīs good buisness to give the creative geniuses in the developing houses all the slack they need. Theyīre still evil, it just doesnīt matter in this instance.
BitBasher
Please for the love of god just don't do for SR what MechAssault did to Battletech. MechAssault isn't a bad game, but it's not Battletech, it's a FPS.
Buzzed
P&P RPG's suck as console games.

The only good Shadowrun game would be on a PC.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mintcar)
Does anyone whant to argue that Bugie or Bioware started making worse games when they started making them for Microsoft?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Compared to their earlier releases, Halo was awful, and while an entertaining game was not anything special on the wider front. Marathon, Pathways into Darkness, Abuse, Minotaur, Myth and Myth II... all exceptional, all amazing. Then Halo comes along and it's ho-hum, what's next.

~J
BitBasher
Halo was mediocre because it was made for the xbox, they reduced their original design for the game dramatically to make it work on a console. Search for articles about what the scope of the game was to be when they announced at the Macworld expo and around that timeframe many years ago.

Now halo wasn't a bad game, but it was far from the best FPS, it wasn't even the best FPS on a a console.

I agree, bungie's previous games were far superior.

Same thing happened to Deus Ex 2. Game got nerfed to heck, and the features were reduced and gameplay suffered so it could have an Xbox "codevelopment".
Kagetenshi
Indeed. Even while Bungie was still independent they churned out Oni... some things were just not meant to be on consoles.

Though I still have to peg Halo in the "entertaining but bad" category right alongside B-grade movies and soforth. At least it was better than Myth III (which wasn't even Bungie).

~J
Wounded Ronin
I played the original marathon games and enjoyed them a lot. I also enjoyed Halo a lot, and don't think that it sucks.

Look at the tremendous fan base Halo has. All the videos on the web of people doing Warthog tricks, Red Vs. Blue, things like that. If Halo was so bad, then why do so many people like it that much?

Certainly, as much fun as Abuse was, I don't understand why you think Abuse was better than Halo.
Stumps
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Compared to their earlier releases, Halo was awful, and while an entertaining game was not anything special on the wider front. Marathon

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I don't know HOW MANY times I've said that HALO was just a smoothed over Marathon game!
To make it worse. My roomate (a HUGE fan of HALO) realizes the other day that HALO's "world" of aliens, organizations, and plot lines are almost identical to those found in StarCraft.

HALO is neat...but um...come on. It's not THAT great.

As to the SR trademark.
They are simply stating that Shadowrun is a trademark of Microsoft in regards to video games.
Basicaly, no one from this point on is allowed to make a video game called Shadowrun without Microsofts say so.
That's it.

Movies do this now and then when doing adaptations of a story from another medium.
But mostly, movies don't bother if it's not adapted from another medium because it's insane to do that.

It creates the "We trademarked the term "double click"" problem in movies.
hobgoblin
halo is counterstrike for xbox (yes i know counterstrike is available for xbox but still)...

hmm, i didnt finish this one...

the word i was looking for was bland. basicly there is nothing creative in either counterstrike or in halo. both are just teambased deathmatch. no interesting strategys, no deep thinking. just run and gun...
locomotiveman
QUOTE (Stumps)
[QUOTE]

As to the SR trademark.
They are simply stating that Shadowrun is a trademark of Microsoft in regards to video games.
Basicaly, no one from this point on is allowed to make a video game called Shadowrun without Microsofts say so.
That's it.

As opposed to the thousands of Battletech homebrews that are out there and never sued by Microsoft....

BTW Mech Commander and MC2 are great adaptations.
mintcar
So you canīt like Marathon and Halo at the same time? PC and console gaming are very different things, one isnīt better than the other. Marathon was the greatest thing there was when it came out. And the best thing was that I was almost alone among my friends to be able to play it, as it was mac-exclusive. (PC users got it with Infinity but that was a lot later). Now, with Halo you can slander it all you like, because your right about the story, the graphics and even the physics. None of those things are remarcable enough to be calling it the best game ever. But if your into console gaming the simple, intuitive control and extremly fun game play combined with at the very least DAMN GOOD graphics and physics and AI, makes it one of the best games ever in my book. And thatīs because I have always been more fond of console games. To me the only area where a pc outdoes consoles are with strategy games and rpgīs (though Iīm starting to change my mind about the later, as KotOR is better than anything Iīve played on a PC sence Arcanum).

<<<edit>>> What Iīm saying is that Iīve been a devoted fan of both Bungie and Bioware sence the beginning, and Iīve played most of the great games of the past. I still think theyīre on a roll right now. So itīs my opinion that the current situation with the Shadowrun trademark isnīt negative as long as the right people get the job of developing the game in the end. When it comes to video games unlimited amounts of money centered in the hands of the company making them might be a good thing.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Nov 24 2004, 03:04 PM)
Look at the tremendous fan base Halo has.  All the videos on the web of people doing Warthog tricks, Red Vs. Blue, things like that.  If Halo was so bad, then why do so many people like it that much?

I ask myself that regularly. If you want I can give you a laundry list of everything wrong with the game when I get home. [this part removed until I can figure out a way to phrase it that doesn't sound insulting, because it isn't meant to be]

The AI is one of my biggest complaints, actually. Utterly predictable. A few randint()s would have gone a long way.

~J
mintcar
Please point me to a better game then Kage. Iīm serious thereīs no hostility in my tone. I want to play it lick.gif

Wouldnīt want to be like the idiots who think Medal of Honor is the best FPS out there without even having played Halo.
Kagetenshi
For AI, the original Unreal was comparable and mildly less predictable. For straight-up FPS, pretty much anything from iD Software; for straight-up deathmatch, team deathmatc, 1v1, and capture the flag, Quake 3. For story mixed with gameplay, Marathon, Pathways, Deus Ex. For vehicle-using multiplayer, Unreal Tournament 2k4. For vehicle-centric play, Descent/Descent 2/Descent 3.

~J
hobgoblin
allso, never underestimate a good mod wink.gif
mintcar
Ok. I donīt think any of those are better. They might be in a strict sence, but I didnīt have as much fun with any of them. (Iīm not into multiplayer I should say, havnīt played Halo that way eather eccept Co-op which I really like) Never heard of Pathways, so Iīll check that out. Marathon is sadly to old to compete by now. Many of you may disagree, but I want the best over all experience possible when Iīm investing my time in a video game. Thanks for the tips though.
Kagetenshi
Honestly, if you aren't into multiplayer I can't imagine how Halo tops the list (I'm primarily a single-player/coop person myself). I'll try to come up with some more, though.

Edit: I guess my point is that I've been a devoted fan of Bungie since the beginning, and I think that rather than on a roll they're in a deep pit and calling for shovels.

~J
jezryaldar
If I were to hazard a guess, with the registering of a trademark, something is already conceptualized. That being said, I would be looking to see who has moved to what companies recently as an indicator of what is being developed.

As for the type of game, honestly, the best bet would be a separate game as a FPS, another game that was "daiblo" style in that it allowed solo play, or "team" play. From there, opening up a "battle net" area wouldnt hurt.

As for an MMOG... considering the relative success of City of Heros, I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case. As for scaling back for console games, in the year 2001 (I believe) the game industry was 19 billion dollars with 12 of that coming from console games and only 7 coming from PC's. The first MMOG that can bridge that (I believe Evercrack already did??) will make money hand over fist. In the end, that is what the financiers are after.... content is totally secondary to will it make money. The idea being, "do what that other guy did that made so much money rather than something new and innovative".

In the end, something is in the works and cross your fingers
mintcar
Well. I also like old school quick fingers console games like Ninja Gaiden, so that might be a reason for choosing Halo. Playing it again and doing it better than before is more fun than playing it the first time. For my deep experience in gaming I like to go to something like Silent Hill 2 (saying itīs the second is significant because itīs so much better than the rest of them). And I do think that the Fallout games are the best games of all time, if I had to choose. So Halo isnīt alone on the top.
Cynic project
I just hope it is good. I really hope it is not a FPS..I hate FPSers,and shadowrun is nothing like FPS to me.
Wounded Ronin
For me, Shadowrun is like reality-inspired FPS games like Soldier of Fortune II, because cover is important and getting hit even once can be really, really bad, and grenades actually kill you.

Also, I still don't understand why everyone is so down on Halo. It is *the* most well-balanced multiplayer game I have ever seen. The game balance is thought out extraordinarily well!

As far as 1 player mode, I have played it through several times and I don't even own it. The game is visual poetry; each time I play it though, it brings joy to my heart.

I'm just baffled that everyone seems to want to be able to say how it sucks.
Kagetenshi
With regard to this thread, it was held up as an example of how Bungie has not declined, while it is IMO the prime example of how Bungie has declined. Then we can discuss whether or not this is in whole or in part due to designing for a console, and from there whether or not a Shadowrun game for a console in anything but the classic style is at all acceptable.

Note that I would not mind the classic style, but the odds of it actually being made that way are similar to the odds of everyone on this board being given two hundred million dollars.

~J
Zolhex
Sad to say but last year around this time someone finally convinced me to play EQ. For years now I have negelected my PSX PS2 SNES so on and so forth. So sadly having been involved in online play and computer games I have to say a computer is now in my opinion the only way to play a game and alas the only way I would buy a Shadowrun game. I have lots of fun playing online why I waited till EQ was 5 years old to play now seems stupid to me but that is just my opinion as I feel I have out grown gameing systems.
BitBasher
Games I think are better than HALO for the Single player FPS experience (in no particular order):

Half Life
Half Life 2
Goldeneye
Deus Ex
AvP (humans)
AvP2 (humans)
...and others that escape my mind right now...

Being "one of the best on a console" doesn't make it good, it just makes it better than the inferior games released on a console. Consoles are IMHO horrible for FPS games in general. It's like it's the top of the mediocre. Yay. Halo had no original ideas or implementation at all. There are numerous games that did it better in many ways.

It was a very good implementation of a very mediocre game.

Let me approach this differently, why do people like Halo so much? what are some quantifiable reasons?
Caine Hazen
Wow good list BitBasher.... HALO has popularity because it is a box game...you could have played the samer thing back when it was Quake 2 with vehicle mods. I do play HALO 2 when I'm over at freinds houses, but it's only when we're drunk and don't have a good LAN going(which is the superfratboi mentality of HALO, which appeals to many) ...UT2004 is the way for multiplay fun and for story..well I got HalfLife 2 and Halflife source and Deus EX still...those were all soooo great.

Actually it looks like alot of people kinda agree with my taste in video games on this thread...damn we all need a UT2K4 sever to play on together... Now my next project is to get everyone to hate Blizzard.....

HALO also appeals cause it is one of the better FPS for the box games, and box gamers latch on to the Flavor of the Moment anyway...
DrJest
Wouldnīt want to be like the idiots who think Medal of Honor is the best FPS out there without even having played Halo.

Can I recommend Far Cry to you? The storyline is mediocre, but the AI is rather good - first time I actually saw the computerised opponents use cover to advance on your position with any degree of effectiveness. I'm no soldier, but "advance and flank in cover while your compatriots lay down covering fire and the occasional grenade" is convincing from a civilian standpoint smile.gif

For SR, though, I don't think the FPS concept would work. There's just too much to squeeze into the skill base of a single character. Think about it - any single hero would have to cover all of the big three character areas: cyber, magic and decking (we'll leave rigging out of it, although with the increase in vehicle-based levels in FPS games it may fire up its ecm suite and sneak back in). The closest to a viable FPS Shadowrun I can think of would be something like the original Deus Ex (gameplay-wise, lightyears ahead of its pretty but ultimately bland sequel); a kind of cross between FPS and RPG. Even then, I don't think it would work too well (if I had to design it that way, I'd fudge the skill requirements some and have the player pick from Cyber or Magic as a base archetype, with Decking as a bolt-on to either, then have separate "power-up" locations available to buy either new cyberware or spells/foci).

Far better, I think, and more representative of the genre, would be a Knights of the Old Republic style party game. Or even a Neverwinter Nights PC-plus-sidekick isometric deal. But there's a lot to squeeze in to any SR game, and I don't hold out high hopes for it (you'd need a complete decking subgame, for starters).

EDIT: Oh - other single-player experience games not mentioned so far that i consider superior to Halo:

The Thief series. The new one didn't add anything revolutionary to the game licence, but the series remains a solid proposition with an immersive atmosphere (and the Asylum level from Thief 3 is hands down the scariest frickin' thing you will ever play. Screw Doom 3.)
System Shock 2 - there's your sci-fi cyberpunk, mate.
HL & HL2 (okay, so they have been mentioned, but it bears repeating that the original HL is one of the few games of its period still regularly played by a large chunk of the gaming fraternity.

While I think of it - whoever it was described Counter-strike as a bland deathmatch. The thing to remember here is that CS was a fan mod that hit it big. It wasn't designed from the ground up by paid professionals biggrin.gif Although I don't quite get how it's bland, unless you mean it's not a frenetic rocket-powered chase around the arena. Whilst still twitchy, it's more cerebral than (say) Quake deathmatch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012