IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So what rights do AA's and AAA's have?
Cynic project
post Nov 24 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,543

It doesn't work that way. If the UCAS says "you must provide sales records for barrels" then the companies will, or else the barrels are not legal and it's illegal to carry them around on UCAS soil. Also, if you have an unregistered barrel you go to jail anyway. Nothing gets accomplished. As if it worked as noted by bitbasher above.

So, really what is the point of pointing out that the Mega corps are not part of the national jurisdiction? Megas are their own countries. Pure and simple. Would the Sioux have to tell the UCAS all the details about their barrels? If not then, why would say ZIC? It is an AA.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 24 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Eh?

~J

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Nov 24 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Why would the AA or AAA have less rights than a forgien power? UCAS should have no more right or legal power over the selling habits of Ares, than it does over the CAS. If I went to an Ares store and bought a gun. Said gun would be legal in Ares controlled land. Even if it is illegal in the UCAS. So if something is legal under the laws set up by Ares I could legally buy it,right?

Take gun ownership in the US and Europe. I can own an AK 47 in the US, but I sure as hell couldn't own one in England. Does that mean that I can't buy one in the US, or that I would be breaking a law if I took it to England? In other word I can legally buy whatever is legal in Nova-tech,and no one is breaking the law, but when I go to the UCAS with items not legal in the UCAS,I am breaking the law in the UCAS. Nova-tech is no breaking the law if it sells me a tank, I am braking the law if I bring it to UCAS... Novatech would only be breaking the law if it helped me to smuggle said item out of their jurisdiction.Am I right or wrong?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 24 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

I believe that’s correct, yes. Why?

Also, keep in mind that X Corp has to get the item into its territory, unless it is fabricated on-site.

~J

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Nov 24 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Well, I always want to learn more about the finer points of this game. The rules and laws controling Megas are large parts of this game.

By the way, as I recall only parties have used Nuke, and one was Ares.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 24 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

I believe that the only three entities to have confirmedly used nuclear weapons are the former US, Israel, and Ares. North Korea tries and fails, as does SAIM.

~J

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Nov 24 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #7

Guests

India and Pakistan did, too, according to SOTA64 (I already bitched about this in another thread).

Extraterritoriality also applies to corporate transports, so you can drive an Ares Arms truck from Spartanburg, South Carolina to a Weapons World retailer in Pittsburgh without breaking any laws because it never leaves Ares jurisdiction.

And the UCAS, for example, can then regulate commercial activity between megacorp property and UCAS jurisdiction because it's analogous to international trade and commerce.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 24 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

What thread was this supposed to link with?

+Quote Post
Hasaku
post Nov 24 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 197

This one: Tips For All Shadowrunners

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 25 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Extraterritoriality also applies to corporate transports, so you can drive an Ares Arms truck from Spartanburg, South Carolina to a Weapons World retailer in Pittsburgh without breaking any laws because it never leaves Ares jurisdiction.

:proof:

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Nov 25 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #11

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Double Exposure, Corporate Download, and others. Do you want a page number? That will take me some time.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 25 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

If you get a chance, a quote would be nice, thanks. I really need to find where my books vanished to :dead:

~J

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Nov 25 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #13

Guests

Corp Download, first chapter. I'll let K10 give you a page number, since good faith apparently no longer exists around here.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 25 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Nope, I trust him. Again, lost books, and I'm interested in the wording. If I didn't trust him, I'd probably have been less polite. As it stands, I'm asking a favour, not making a challenge.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 25 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

That truck needs be clearly marked as Ares or any of its subsidiaries. It is kinda like a Diplomatic Immunity.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 25 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Just a minor point - corps are extraterritorial; much as they would like to believe otherwise, they are not (with the exception of Aztlan) sovereign nations, and have none of the international status of governments. Although they have the right to behave pretty much as they like within their own compounds, they have much less legal clout when the mess spreads over the line.

Also note that to purchase an unregistered barrel in the manner described, you would have to go to a major Ares compound to get it, since extraterritoriality is limited in its application. Or to put it another way, if you bought it at the Weapons World in your local mall, you and Ares both are breaking UCAS law. If you bought your AK-47 in London from an American government agent (passed over the cash, wrapped it and walked away) you and he would both be in deep doo-doo. You'd go to prison, he'd presumably claim diplomatic immunity (something corps cannot do) and be deported.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 25 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #17

Canon Companion

Any compound clearly marked as Ares or as a subsidiary of Ares is extraterritorial. Therefore if the Weapons World was marked "Weapons World, a subsidiary of Ares Macrotechnology", it would be extraterritorial. p10-11 Corp Download.

In other words, Ares can't break UCAS (or any other countries') law on Ares soil. And any place where Ares does official business is Ares soil.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 25 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #18

Running Target

I was under the (potentially mistaken) impression that there were limits to that, based on the size of the area and its demarcation from the rest of the world?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 25 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Nope ... just the 'clearly marked' stipulation. Bear in mind that it has to list the parent Corp entitled to extra-territoriality. Stuffer Shacks are not entitled to claim extra-territoriality because they are not, as far as I know, clearly labelled as an Aztechnology company.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Nov 25 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Unless marked as "Stuffer Shacks, a proud member of the Aztechnology family".

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 25 2004, 01:08 PM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Right, but I believe it is stated (or implied) somewhere that isn't the case with Stuffer Shacks.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 25 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Stuffer Shacks are not entitled to claim extra-territoriality because they are not, as far as I know, clearly labelled as an Aztechnology company.

Wow, and all this time I thought I was avoiding Stuffer Shack for aesthetic reasons, when it really turned out to be my innate Detect Evil ability... ;)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 25 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Dude, Aztchnology is pretty much the main supplier of all kinds of foodstuffs for the middle class and under, at least in North America. They have a pretty good public image to the non-shadow-associated.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Nov 25 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #24

Running Target

You know, I played a Werewolf game where a Pentex subsidiary was inserting dormant Bane spirits into their latest chocolate bar; majorly addictive and spiritually poisoning in one fell swoop.

Suddenly I feel the urge to rewrite it for the SR universe... Pentex -> Aztech, Bane Spirits -> Blood Spirits... now I just need to decide why (apart from sheer generalise evilness, which even I admit Aztech are too canny to indulge in) :cyber:

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 25 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Fortune)
Dude, Aztchnology is pretty much the main supplier of all kinds of foodstuffs for the middle class and under, at least in North America. They have a pretty good public image to the non-shadow-associated.

Does it not state somewhere that like 90% or something of all (household) consumer goods are in some way related to Aztechnology?

I found that somewhat scary when i first read it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.