IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hermetics,shamans,Idol warshipersand voodoo people, Oh MY!
Cynic project
post Nov 29 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,543

Well, I was looking into the the past of shadowrun,and it dawned on me.Well a few things did.

First off, it maybe that it takes more magic for hermtics to really come about than it does the other people. Look at it this way, shamans and the rest could be said that they have a "god", or some power that helps them. Or it could be as simple as the shaman, has a face to put on magic.Sort of like religion and science. If you do not understand something you may well try to explain by something you can understand. So when magic comes back, the shamans get a kick start because frankly no one knew what magic really was. I mean right now if you walked up to 100 gamers,fantasy buff or just random people and asked them what was magic, you would many different awnsers. So let's go to the game world 2011.. Magic comes back,and it awakens the first batch of people. They don't know what is going on, and I think that because of this unknown more became shamanic as a buffer.

Now let's talk about totems. Do you chose your totem or does your totem chose you.Well, if I am right and it acts as buffer,and sos that it is the shaman reaching out for it, it could be either way.I mean it could be that your mind is seeking a face that it will feel comfortable with. Or just one that will scare you,maybe another reason all together. On the other hand totems could be for lack of a better word gods. They could see those reaching into the dark and picking those they see fit. This anwser would explain why those who are montheistict have totems that aren't of their religion.

And this leads me to my last point.Why is it hard to believe that someone who have the Idol Mars(or any of the other "dead" gods),over the totem Dog? Does the Jew find more comfort in the idea of a mystical dog, than he does a God of a long dead religion?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 29 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Non-hermetics have the same difficulty in learning how to weild magic as hermetics do. The only significant difference is that most other traditions don't require such pricey materials as part of their training; Hermetic Libraries and Elemental Conjuring Materials are ridiculously overpriced. But that's pretty much the only limiting factor between all of them.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Nov 29 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Yes,and no. You are looking form a game mechanic,I am looking from a story point of view. Why would their be more shamans,or rather would they be more powerful in the teens. also note that shamans can throw bigger spells,and do not need as many tools to help them learn or at least make spells. So I would say they have easier time. They just also have to be balanced out with hermetics or no one would play hermetics.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 29 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The game mechanic sets the tone for the story point of view. Both have identical training requirements, only one has more expensive supplies required. Thus, both are learned with equal ease assuming you can gain access to the appropriate materials you need.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 29 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

shamanic magic lends itself more easily to tradition, in general. whereas hermetic magic tends to require--or at least encourage--some actual understanding of the forces involved, shamanic magic will work as long as you do your rain dance the way your father taught you to (assuming you're Awakened). shamanic magic isn't more powerful; it just came into play earlier because the body of knowledge that supports it was already in place.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 30 2004, 04:18 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Also keep in mind that hermetic magic, with its more logical approach to magic, does have advantages.

First, they don't have a shamanic mask, so it is harder to detect it when a hermetic casts a spell.

Secondly, seeing spirits as constructs of astral space bound to their will gives mages certain advantages - they can use elementals like they are magical batteries to sustain spells or improve spellcasting. They can also summon them on their downtime and keep them bound, so they can call on them at will later on. They can also call on more than one of these bound elementals at once. Shamans are stuck summoning one at a time, as they need them, and resisting Drain as they go.

Finally, hermetics are free of the mental restrictions that inhibit a shaman's freedom of action. They don't have to worry that Dog won't like it if they cut loose a team member who has become a liability. They don't have to worry that Dragonslayer will be displeased if they run away when it is tactically feasible. If they have to grit their teeth and do something unpleasant that will lead to greater good in the end, they don't have to worry about offending Eagle's morals.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 30 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I wouldn't put the totem/shaman relationship as worship either. Respect to the totem yes, but it's not blind faith or unquestioningly following the totem either.

I've RPed shamans who are constantly at odds with certain ideals of totems, and sometimes this causes certain...problems with working magic, but like any RL relationship, it's a growth process, where the shaman is really learning more about himself, not learning how to do what he's told.

It would be interesting to see some fiction pieces on how religions, specifically the older churches (Catholic, Protestent, etc) feel about shamans who were or are Catholic or Christian or what have you, in regards to the totem relationship.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 30 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Bigity)
but it's not blind faith or unquestioningly following the totem either.

That's a good way to wake up mundane one of these days.

~J

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 30 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

I don't think so. Does any other game immediately remove all magic ability by say..not tithing to the temple the next time you get into town? No, but if you constantly do it, despite signs and portents, you get slammed.

I'd imagine it's the same, if not looser, in SR.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 30 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

And if you consistently disobey your totem, you get slammed.

~J

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 30 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Well yea.

But do you see/play totems as actual beings who are directing the shaman on a consistent basis? It's hard for me to see that.

Let's take Dog, as an example. Some dogs are friendly and nice, who befriend new dogs or people easily. Some dogs have one master, and everyone else is a threat. The spectrum runs the whole spread.

So the shamans can also come from anywhere across the spectrum, and don't really have all _too_ much in common.

I've always looked at the totems as a set of ideals a shaman has, not from some totem telling him how to act, but as part of the person, and integral to how his magic works.

I've never liked how much the fiction books have made totems into beings that interact frequently with a shaman, but I guess I could be in a minority :)

What does everybody else think?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 30 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

It's the Shaman's connection to Magic, and his mind-set over how that Magic works for him that would be affected if he deviated dramatically from the Totem in question. Remember that a Shaman of Dog already thinks very much like the ideals of Dog before awakening, which is why his Magic expresses the way it does (ie. why Dog initially chose him or why he chose Dog).

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Nov 30 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #13

Running Target

But one of the key points I was making was why would a follower of "God", be more likely to fallow Dog,rather than Ares?

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Nov 30 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

But one of the key points I was making was why would a follower of "God", be more likely to fallow Dog,rather than Ares?

Well, sure, if he's dyslexic. :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 1 2004, 01:43 AM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Cynic project @ Dec 1 2004, 08:17 AM)

Because (he believes that) the ideals of both Dog and God are similar.

+Quote Post
audun
post Dec 1 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 381

QUOTE (Cynic project)

You've read MiTS? That's what Idols are supposed to cover.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Dec 1 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #17

Running Target

But look at this posts.

"Skeptical Clown

Does scandanavian folklore really have enough of a modern-day mystical tradition to justify Shadowrun-era magical traditions? I honestly don't know--it makes sense for voudoun or Native American spiritual traditions to have individual magical methods, since they have surviving mystical traditions today. Even neo-paganism like Wicca and the modern 'druids' can credibly be extended into a Shadowrun magic tradition. But I don't picture anyone, say, worshipping Thor anymore.

Well right, but the Idol-worship always seemed more like an adoption of a archetypical force, than the worship of a specific god or goddess. It just stretches credibility that anyone is going to start worshipping Odin or Zeus again, Awakening or no."

Why would it be harder to believe that Loki, would hold less sway over magic than Fox? They are both tricksters,and you most likely have heard about the same amount about both of them. But seeing as "Fox" has it's own entery as a totem. So it is seemingly easier to believe that somone would fallow Fox,or the Trickster,but not Loki....

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 1 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Loki is The Trickster, or at least a The Trickster.

~J

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Dec 1 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #19

Running Target

I know this. I pointed this out. But the post I was replying to said it is alright to fallow the trickster idol..But Not Loki. I just wanted to know why people would have that problem,but not I fallow Fox,and not Trickster..How is Fox any different than Loki,is they are both totem/idols about tricks?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 1 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

basically, the idols listed in MitS are archtypes for gods and pantheons. no one follows "The Sky Father" or "The Dark King"; they follow Jupiter (and use the stats of Sky Father) or Odin (and use the stats of Dark King). idols are not D&D-style gods; they're templates, to which you apply a name from mythology.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Dec 1 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #21

Running Target

I fully understand that. But then again so are totems.The main differance is that they seem to have put more thought into totems,and so you have Dog,Wolf, Bear ECT.. for Totems,and you have Trickster, Dragon Slayer,and Moon Maiden ECT.. for Idols. Game mechanicely speaking Idols and Totems are inter changeable. Idols seem to be archtypes,but so do totems. But it may just be that it is as safe to not name human type higher powers,than it is to name animal ones.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Dec 1 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 185

Have you read the section regarding the Idols / Gods relationship in SOTA64? You may find it enlightening (or not)... it also addresses the issue of what happens when a God might be represented by different archetypes.

As I pointed out to Skeptical when he made that post, he didn't really check his facts before he made that statement. There is a RL contemporary (officially recognized too boot) religion called Asartu whose followers do worship Thor and Odin (and the rest of the Aesir). Shadowrun Norse magic evolved from this later day revival and not out of the blue.

+Quote Post
audun
post Dec 2 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 381

QUOTE (Skeptical Clown via Cynic Project)
Does scandanavian folklore really have enough of a modern-day mystical tradition to justify Shadowrun-era magical traditions?  I honestly don't know--it makes sense for voudoun or Native American spiritual traditions to have individual magical methods, since they have surviving mystical traditions today.  Even neo-paganism like Wicca and the modern 'druids' can credibly be extended into a Shadowrun magic tradition.  But I don't picture anyone, say, worshipping Thor anymore.

I've met a few and actually had long email exchanges with one of them during the EuroSB project. She didn't worship Thor, but she was practicing seid and was very knowledgable about the subject (both from a New Age POV and an academic POV.) The exchanges influenced the material that ended up in SOTA2064 (+ a lot of material that didn't make the cut).
QUOTE (Cynic project)
I fully understand that. But then again so are totems.The main differance is that they seem to have put more thought into totems,and so you have Dog,Wolf, Bear ECT.. for Totems,and you have Trickster, Dragon Slayer,and Moon Maiden ECT.. for Idols. Game mechanicely speaking Idols and Totems are inter changeable. Idols seem to be archtypes,but so do totems. But it may just be that it is as safe to not name human type higher powers,than it is to name animal ones.

You're on track. Idols doesn't do justification to the pagan gods. I believe Idols are a leftover from the FASA days when everything was a tad more politically correct, or at least they were more careful not to step on anybody's toes and feed the "RPGs are the work of the devil"-beast. The Idol descriptions sometimes fits very closely to one god (Trickster and Loki for instance), but sometimes doesn't really fit to anyone (Sky Father is a very limited understanding of Odin/Wotan or Zeus). Having each god as an Idol in itself might be a better idea, but then again gods are complex arcehtypes/entities, more so than Totems. Writing a totem description would simply be too difficult. A completly new system for pagan magic was one option, the Idols as aspects of gods/archetypes was the option we went with (in SOTA2064). If you have any ideas on how pagan magic should work in SR, please post them. The rules as is are far from perfect, maybe a new or revised system for pagan magic could make it's way to a webiste or something. If you don't have any better ideas I belive you've made your point now. :)

Seems like Synner replied before I was finished with my reply.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 2 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

bah! everyone always thinks Odin should be Sky Father. he's Dark King, dammit!

+Quote Post
Synner
post Dec 2 2004, 09:41 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 185

Or Wise Warrior, Wild Huntsman and Creator depending on which aspect of his mythology your looking at...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.