Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The awakened, and the broke, Currently the rules nerf mundanes
SaintHax
post Nov 30 2004, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,602

I love ShadowRun. LOVE IT! B/c of the way damage is soaked, and tracked, I think it has the best rules of any game. Somewhat streamlined, but realistic enough. HOWEVER, it has some broke arse stuff in it. Mainly, mundanes suck. This isn't an opinion, it's math... see below.

To cast combat, detection, health, illusion, and manipulation spells: you need to learn the specialization sorcery (spellcasting).

If you want to shoot something, you need to pick one of the following base skills: pistols, SMG, rifles, assault rifle, or shot gun (or laser weapons). And, if you choose rifle, and pick up an assault rifle... there's a huge difference in ShadowRun skill wise. The same rules apply to melee weapons.

Now we go to use them. The mage fires a stun bolt at a troll willpower 2 troll, he needs 2's to hit. You fire a gun at the quickness 1 troll, you need a 4. Now really, from the offensive side, this balances out. B/c if it was a willpower/quickness 6 elf, the mage would need a 6, and you'd still need a 4. From the Troll, Elf standpoint, the Elf is getting screwed. He's half the troll's size, and yet is just as easy to hit as the quickness 1 troll. There's combat pool to dodge, but it's not balanced, and another discussion.

The mage also can cast invisibilty (which is broke), treat, powerbolt, and powerball using just his will based specialization of sorcery (spellcasting). A mundane would need all these base skills: stealth (Qk), Biotech (In), a ranged weapon (Qk), and thrown weapon (gernades, St). Now I'm not saying that the mundane should be equal to the awakened. That's why I'm not knocking all the additional things a spell slinger can do, that a mundane can't. A sorcerer can have a spell to attack any stat: illusions can pretty much take out those low in intelligence, mana spells wreck low willpower, powerball still attacks body, and decrease attribute (Chr) can even paralyze an uncharming troll. Sweet. A mage also has natural concealment. A spell can be smuggled through anywhere it's not active... not so a gun. In the areas where mundanes and awakened overlap, the mage should not have such a clear advantage in both power and growth potential.

SR3 was a huge improvement. The linking of skills to attributes balanced a lot of power gaming. In SR2, only true role players or summoners ever had a charisma over 1, b/c it wasn't needed. However, in SR3 we started drifting away from a prime concept: tech and magic don't mix. Increase cyber attribute... big suck. Vehicle mask... big suck.

Last point, more spells are broke than cyber/bioware... AND... the core rules (M&M) suggest not letting new characters start w/ cultured bioware, despite it being common in 2064. Limits mundanes more.

+<:-) SaintHax

P.S. I play as both a troll sorcerer and mudane (human) covert ops
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 30 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (SaintHax)
However, in SR3 we started drifting away from a prime concept: tech and magic don't mix.

That is not a prime concept of the setting, that is your own prejudice about the concepts.

As for spells being horribly overpowered, they cost about as much as all those skills a mundane needs to match the effects (at chargen), have different conditions in which they prosper and fail, and have each been specifically debated in these forums. If magic is overpowered in games you play, it is due to the GM not realizing how blatantly cheap certain anti-magic countermeasures are (cheapest is 2 nuyen).

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Nov 30 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

I see no problem with that. Magic is better for a reason. Its magic! You are essentialy taking a normal person and giving him something extra. Therefore he should be better. The only time I see this being a problem is if your group is powergamers, and each person wants to be "the best" at what he does.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Nov 30 2004, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

If a mage wants to upgrade a F4 Fireball to F5, it'll cost him some karma, a couple hundred bucks (spell formula), and enough time to learn it.

A street sam can upgrade his weapon just by prying it from the former owner's dead hand, for a few lead slugs, in 3 seconds flat.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Nov 30 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

Your math is off.

First off, any half-wit gunbunny worthy of the name is going to have a Smartlink 2. So your target numbers are going to be 2 not 4, barring distance and modifiers. If they don't have this basic cyber, then they deserve to die. Two, gunbunnies don't have to deal with Drain, which when you're talking about Force 6+ spells, isn't trivial. And finally, I have no pity for min-maxers who run around with a Charisma 1 and expect to get anywhere other than the sewers and the slums.

It's not true that mages only have to have Willpower. Granted, his most important skills are Will-based. But any mage who neglects his Body is begging to die, and a mage that neglects his Quick and Int is going to lose out on Combat Pool.

This isn't to say that mages don't have obvious advantages; concealability of their most powerful weapons, versatility, etc. But they pay for it in Karma. Most mages don't have every single spell you lay out; they have to pay Karma to learn them (other than at trivial and near-useless Force levels).

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Nov 30 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Also, your mage can't pry spells from the mind of a cold-dead mage and hock them on the street.

You can however do teh same with guns you don't need.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 30 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

Ok well someone refute his statement the invisibility if broken. I certainly can't it seems really broken.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 30 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (Solstice)
Ok well someone refute his statement the invisibility if broken. I certainly can't it seems really broken.

1: it only affects sight, so microphones, pressure plates, beaded curtains, and 5.87 thousand drekloads of other subtle observation methods can alert even the most pathetic guard to the existence of an invisible target.
2: ultrasound vision knocks the blindfire penalty to +4, or +2 in melee
3: grenades don't care about invisibility, and see point 1 about how to aim close
4: dual natured guard doggies can still eat your invisible mage
4b: cyberzombies can still shoot your invisible mage, as well as ghouls and certain SURGEs
5: wards
6: the mage behind the masking ward who dispells the invisibility without giving away his nature as a mage
6b: the mage behind the masking ward who casts and sustains a force 1 entertainment spell to track a large red dot where the invisible mage is going
7: suppressive fire
8: the fire elemental or other spirit sent by the mage who didn't want to show up in the flesh to deal with a mage-alert signal

Do you need more, or maybe a list of why a good stealth roll evades most of those?

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Nov 30 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

There are three reasons that help to keep invisibility from being broken. It is resisted, just like any other indirect illusion. It doesn't protect you from any other senses (smell, hearing, ultrasound, etc.) and if you don't have improved invis, then security cameras will still pick you up. It has to be sustained to work.

The sustaining means that you have to have a mage you trust and that mage has to trust you enough to take his astral signature in to the job site and get out alive. If it is a mage casting it on herself then she's probably going to want a sustaining focus, so that is more karma and nuyen on the spell.

Other sense detection is limited but means that invisible isn't undetectable. You couldn't get into a department store dressing room without someone realizing you were there with an invisibility spell, why do you think that a corp R&D lab will be different? Astrally, your aura is still visible, so a mage can astrally perceive and then either dispel the invisibility, bananamolt you, or whatever (control thoughts to go back and kill your teammates is nice).

The resistance is a big one and I think it gets overlooked. You have to have a decent force invis to make sure that someone doesn't pick you out. Also, if they keep looking for you because you've tripped a motion sensor or a heat reader or something, then their successes will keep stacking up until they eventually see through it and spot you.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Nov 30 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Don't forget that, in addition to the Sorcery skill and the Karma costs for each individual spell, the sorcerer spent an A/B Priority or a huge lump of Build Points to get the ability.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 30 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Ok i'm satisfied...

Now someone list the reasons why Improved Invisibility isn't broken...

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 30 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (John Campbell)
Don't forget that, in addition to the Sorcery skill and the Karma costs for each individual spell, the sorcerer spent an A/B Priority or a huge lump of Build Points to get the ability.

That is irrelevant to the discussion really....but yes I know this.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Nov 30 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Nov 30 2004, 01:45 PM)

It has nothing to do with invisibility, but it's entirely relevant to the original post's claim that mages in general are broken. They're powerful, but they paid for that power, and sacrificed power in other areas to get the points/priority to do so.

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Nov 30 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that any dual-natured creature, aspected mage, or full mage, as well as a number of adepts, can still see an invisible mage through Astral Perception. They can act while seeing him with a +2 TN on their actions, except for the dual-natured ones who have no penalty (it's natural sight for them), and Adepts can probably Center it away.

Mundanes have a few tools, most notably Ultrasound Vision and that thermal-sense bioware. There's FAB for anyone who can afford it, too. Several other chemical weapons could also be helpful. And I think drones operating on their own can get around it too, but I don't have Rigger 3 so I'm not sure.

And then you have to remember that they still make noise, so sound-based perception tests can give them away, especially when they're dealing with those Samurai who pick up ear enhancements. Granted, whoever faces them still has a +8 TN modifier to attack, but that's when you remember that Suppressive Fire is your friend, as are grenades.

And don't forget that the mage is going to have a +2 modifier to everything but damage resistance (I think) thanks to sustaining a spell, in addition to wound modifiers from drain. And if they try to get around the sound-based detection with the Stealth or Silence spells, they'll be getting more drain and an extra +2. Also, casting one spell while sustaining another will leave the newly-cast one weaker than the first thanks to the higher TNs. Stealth may have a casting TN of 4, but that's going up to 6 while sustaining.

Which brings up the last point, that everyone who might be affected by the illusions gets to resist them. And if one mundane in a group of 10 happens to see (or hear) through the spell, he can inform his friends that there's someone trying to be sneaky nearby.

Did I miss any?

Edit: Well, I missed several posts while flipping through SR3 and CC...

This post has been edited by Sahandrian: Nov 30 2004, 07:04 PM

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Nov 30 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #15

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (John Campbell)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Nov 30 2004, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Nov 30 2004, 01:45 PM)

It has nothing to do with invisibility, but it's entirely relevant to the original post's claim that mages in general are broken. They're powerful, but they paid for that power, and sacrificed power in other areas to get the points/priority to do so.

Hes getting back on track. It happens once in a blue moon around here I know.
Yes, men with mojo are powerhouses, but compairing to a sammy (who I consider somewhat disposable anyhow) its really apples and oranges. Your shamen needs a boatload of real life experance (aka karma) to improve his primary skill.

+Quote Post
SaintHax
post Nov 30 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (SaintHax)
However, in SR3 we started drifting away from a prime concept: tech and magic don't mix.

That is not a prime concept of the setting, that is your own prejudice about the concepts.

Not true. One of the older authors mentioned it in an interview. Hence why for no other reason you have higher target numbers to affect anything w/ more tech in them. Losing magic based on essence can be justified w/ the loss of your own personal body. But it doesn't justify why it's harder to heal a street sam. By normal logic, it would be easier b/c there is less of him to heal. Even if you disagree, some of the older players hear may remember which author addressed the relationship of tech and magic.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 30 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #17

Runner

The actual setting is dealing with magic and technology that seem to be completely divergent paths of influence. However, the two paths are advancing toward a crossroads. Magic research includes efforts to make the most magical ability available to the most people, and technology research includes trying to isolate and recreate the factor that gives magic to some. At current, there are some magical options that work just fine on any other subject, but still need a mage, and bioware has isolated and recreated a few difficult metahuman properties (but is still mostly mundane animal organs and improved human ones).

Beyond that, one author once saying something does not indicate that all the game designers agreed with that premise or that those who did agree with that premise would always hold to it. High technology still makes magic harder but it isn't a flat "no mage can have a datajack or affect anyone who has one" and it never was.

+Quote Post
SaintHax
post Nov 30 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (LinaInverse)
Your math is off.

First off, any half-wit gunbunny worthy of the name is going to have a Smartlink 2. <<snip>>

It's not true that mages only have to have Willpower. Granted, his most important skills are Will-based. But any mage who neglects his Body is begging to die, and a mage that neglects his Quick and Int is going to lose out on Combat Pool.

First, I rarely have time to play in a home game b/c I'm playtesting mods to be used. Most of my gaming experience (in the last 3 years, anyway) has come from Cons. Virtual Seattle was fairly big, I played, GM'd, and ended up staff on it. I now play independent SR games at cons, and ShadowRun Missions when I can. So... I see a LOT of players and characters.

At a table of eight I see 3 to 6 awakened characters. I've never sat down at a table w/o a mage, but I've seen tables have to be reseated so that it's not solely magical.

Now, my math is not off. Yes, a gun bunny will have smartlink, and a mage will get a focus. The list goes on and on, on both sides, so it was irrelevant for the nature of our discussion to add more variables in, when none of these variables tip the scale in either direction.

The same for your argument for a mage needing body. The mundane needs willpower for defense too. We aren't talking about defense, we are talking about what is needed to buy skills. BUT... since you brought it up. The sorcerer (who doesn't conjure mind you) doesn't need charisma. If another mage hits him w/ Decrease Attr (Chr), he has natural spell defense: the mundane doesn't. This is another advantage for the magic user. But as I said, I'm willing to concede a certain number of advantage to magic users based on priorities. After a while though... it's got to stop. Where the mages duplicate what skills do, I think is a good line in the sand.

+Quote Post
SaintHax
post Nov 30 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

The actual setting is dealing with magic and technology that seem to be completely divergent paths of influence. However, the two paths are advancing toward a crossroads. Magic research includes efforts to make the most magical ability available to the most people, and technology research includes trying to isolate and recreate the factor that gives magic to some. At current, there are some magical options that work just fine on any other subject, but still need a mage, and bioware has isolated and recreated a few difficult metahuman properties (but is still mostly mundane animal organs and improved human ones).

Beyond that, one author once saying something does not indicate that all the game designers agreed with that premise or that those who did agree with that premise would always hold to it. High technology still makes magic harder but it isn't a flat "no mage can have a datajack or affect anyone who has one" and it never was.

I agree w/ this. It was just a side comment to add to the mages overlapping mundanes. As you decrease their boundries, then the balance tips more. I'd be happy to let this one line amoungst and arguement to fade away. It's trivial in scope.l

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Nov 30 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (SaintHax @ Nov 30 2004, 05:47 PM)
To cast combat, detection, health, illusion, and manipulation spells: you need to learn the specialization sorcery (spellcasting).

You HAVE to learn the specialization? Plain sorcery isn't enough?

If you want to shoot something, you need to pick one of the following base skills: pistols, SMG, rifles, assault rifle, or shot gun (or laser weapons).  And, if you choose rifle, and pick up an assault rifle... there's a huge difference in ShadowRun skill wise.  The same rules apply to melee weapons.

Meh. A little defaulting never hurt, and having two or three weapon skills is no different than having two or three magical skills (conjuring, enchanting, sorcery). Besides, if the mage wants a back-up weapon that doesn't inflict drain, he also has to learn the weapon skills in addition to the magical skills.

I just saw a very funny situation (2 Friday's back) where a mage with a fireball and stunball looked pretty goofy trying to be useful in a situation where his only offensive spells would've hit his own team, so my dorf decker (pistols 4) ended up killing 3 of 4 terrorists in the room. (Unfortunately, what the mage really needed - mind probe - he didn't have, so while the killings were morally satisfying, they kind of dead-ended the mission for a while.)

Now we go to use them.  The mage fires a stun bolt at a troll willpower 2 troll, he needs 2's to hit.  You fire a gun at the quickness 1 troll, you need a 4.

My merc generally needs a 2 or so, thanks to a smart link.

The mage also can cast invisibilty (which is broke),

After discovering suppressive fire rules and ultrasound, I never had a problem with invisibility.

A sorcerer can have a spell to attack any stat: illusions can pretty much take out those low in intelligence, mana spells wreck low willpower, powerball still attacks body, and decrease attribute (Chr) can even paralyze an uncharming troll.

And an Ares Predator II with Smartlink 2 and EX rounds kills them most of them D-E-D ded. With a Defiance Super Shock for a 10S-Stun backup for the people you'd like to leave in non-gobbetized form.

Mages have their advantages, but I wouldn't say they're unbalanced compared to mundanes. A mundane stuffed with cyber is a very deadly threat in his own way. A non-cybered mundane with an assault rifle and heavy armor is also a powerful foe.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 30 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Keep in mind that unless I'm quite mistaken (which is not impossible), by a strict reading of Improved Invisibility you not only need to have a high enough Force to overcome the Object Resistance of a camera, you also can only affect things within a (Magic) meter radius.

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 30 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #22

Runner

Will your angst spread to cyberware and bioware eventually because the unaugmented human can be outdone by the sammy with a smartlink or the face with tailored pheremones?

I am fine with actual debate over the capabilities of options, and I can understand an irritation at such a magiaclly favored tendency in the games you have experienced, but try to remember that each use of BP for one purpose prevents those from being used for something else. While sorcery provides a nice bit of versatility from spell choice, there are ways (often low enough cost to justify their use) which will inhibit the mage (and drain can be a killer if you try to show off).

If you want, we may be able to scrounge a little and come up with a nice list of ways to make PCs hate playing mages when you GM that aren't even to wildly outlandish or unexpected.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Nov 30 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cray74)

After discovering suppressive fire rules and ultrasound, I never had a problem with invisibility.

Ok I don't think having to have a tactical computer and/or a Battletac system OR an ultrasound sight should be necessary to deal with improved invisibility. It's really not an issue for players as it sounds from your post. It's an issue for GM's and players that walk the land slinging manaballs with improved invisibility.

Whoever is saying "Mages can see invisible mages" : You just defeated your own argument. Of course mages can see other mages, but we are talking about mundanes vs. magic....not magic vs. magic. I don't think we should promote an "arms race" with awakened characters like SaintHax is saying.

+Quote Post
SaintHax
post Nov 30 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Here's the most important reason why it's broke, they fuxxed up the rules. The force of invisibilty is of little importance. The best intelligence (outside of over normal max, and bio enhanced, and a friend mage boosting... not normal at all stuff) a mundane will have is a 6. They made invisibility and all or nothing spell. So, if you get more than 6 successes w/ a force 1 invisibility, NO mundanes can detect you. You can easily exploit this by buying a couple of force 1 sustaining foci, placing them on your adept and street sam buddy... and casting them invisible. I can feel the arguement of "what kind of player", but policing players does not mean the rule is correct. It's a hack to band-aid a broken rule. As for this other stuff.....

1: it only affects sight, so microphones, pressure plates, beaded curtains, and 5.87 thousand drekloads of other subtle observation methods can alert even the most pathetic guard to the existence of an invisible target.

Mics are good, but would only be at secure locations. It still doesn't protect you from the invisible sword weilder. I like it the best though. Pressure plates also screw the stealth guy... and this is magic vs. skill in balance. Beaded curtains would probably screw the skill guy, again... only available at portals. Helpful, but I don't feel it's enough to balance a force 1 spell this powerful.

2: ultrasound vision knocks the blindfire penalty to +4, or +2 in melee

True, ultra sound is the check and balance, but it's not the most common piece of cyberware. You'll never see a bar bouncer w/ it. (Never is a hyperbole, let's not bring out long shots). I see only a percentage of street sams sit down at my table w/ it, and my covert ops hasn't been able to afford it yet either. Harder to get than a force 1 spell by a long shot.

3: grenades don't care about invisibility, and see point 1 about how to aim close

You have to find them first... and they can't be next to you... or a friend.... or the data storage you are protecting... or the reactor.

4: dual natured guard doggies can still eat your invisible mage
4b: cyberzombies can still shoot your invisible mage, as well as ghouls and certain SURGEs

Dual natured guard dogs are more rare than ultra vision. Cyber zombies are something a runner may never see in his life. If we are going to give this much to the corp, then let's assume the mage has another trick up his sleeve too.

5: wards

Thought to be rare, now a mage can make a good living putting these up. However, you can mask past them. Wards are also expensive. This is better than ultra sound, and if the invisibility spell was fixed so that force meant something, would probably be a good balance. As it stands: force 1... vs. expensive wards. Force 1 still wins.

6: the mage behind the masking ward who dispells the invisibility without giving away his nature as a mage

Mages are wicked expensive. Not a feasible solution for non-AAA sec runs. I submitt this as my response for 8: spirits sent in response as a solution too. Good stealth roll doesn't win here either. If we have a mage, he can just sustain a detect spell. The counter beats them both.

7: suppressive fire

Still have to detect them first. Plus, they get to attack back. One mage w/ a force 1 invisibilty on sustaining focus, should wax 3 or more sustaining firing mundanes. Also, a good stealth roll loses here. Once detected, they don't need to surpress the stealth guy.

+Quote Post
SaintHax
post Nov 30 2004, 07:54 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Will your angst spread to cyberware and bioware eventually because the unaugmented human can be outdone by the sammy with a smartlink or the face with tailored pheremones?

I have no angst. My main character is a Troll Sorcerer. And other than a few spells, such as imp. invisibilty that I feel are broke, I don't feel I'm too powerful, but rather that mundanes aren't given enough options, and that I can overlap many of their areas of expertise. Since I play test, I agree to play mundanes, b/c we had to be told to have some mundanes, else it would be a awakened party.

I believe balanced would be close... if not restored if they'd just make melee a base skil, and the weapon catagories a specialization. Or maybe divide the base skill by reach. But it sucks otherwise. So, I don't want to "nerf" mages... I want to see a balanced restored and hope that designers take note of the current flaws.

The bioware situation that you mentioned is what we are talking about b/c tailored pheremones and smart links are made for two different reasons. Power bolt and pistols are pretty much made for the same reason.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.