IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun to D&D, I need a little help..
red_ronin9999
post Dec 4 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,867

Alright, So I'm stuck with a pair of newb players, and don't want to change over EVERYTHING... I just need a Quick reference chart for Damage->Dice. I can figure out the Initiative, but I Do NOT like the Hitbox System. Just looking to see if anyone can help me out. I Need some help with the weapons. I'm probably going to base the HP modifier on the race, so that I can do. All I request is a Quick Chart. Please HELP!!!

Thanks,

R.Ronin9999. :cyber:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 4 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

What are your problems with the wound box system?

~J

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 4 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

There's always D20 Modern...

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Dec 4 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (red_ronin9999)
Alright, So I'm stuck with a pair of newb players, and don't want to change over EVERYTHING... I just need a Quick reference chart for Damage->Dice. I can figure out the Initiative, but I Do NOT like the Hitbox System. Just looking to see if anyone can help me out. I Need some help with the weapons. I'm probably going to base the HP modifier on the race, so that I can do. All I request is a Quick Chart. Please HELP!!!

Thanks,

What? Why don't you like the wound box system? You realize the whole combat system is kind of based on that, right?

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Dec 4 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

THere is no way your going to mix and match the SR system with some D20 things that you want to keep. They are not compatible in the fashion your wanting. I would just sit down with the newbs and do a few senarios to demonstrate the rules. They aren't that hard it just takes a little bit before they are intuitive.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Dec 4 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Oh boy. Here we go again...

Everybody out of the pool! :P

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 4 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

*Waves at Kevyn from the bottom of the deep end*

~J

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Dec 4 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

<points to "NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY" sign>

:)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 4 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

*Keeps waving happily*

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 4 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

*dives in*

Yeah... umm, no. You probably aren't going to make a hit point system work well in a game without classes or levels, especially since, as you mentioned, you would also have to rework all of the weapons. Note that reworking the weapons would also require reworking the armor system. If you want hitpoints badly enough to introduce classes and/or levels, and if you want to change all of the weapon damage codes and armor ratings to work with hitpoints, you might as well just play d20 modern in the SR setting.

I could make up something that would look kinda reasonable at least superficially, but before I expend the effort to do so I would like to second Kagetenshi's query: what, exactly, do you not like about the current SR damage system?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Dec 4 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Sorry, I think you want Earthdawn. :talker:

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 5 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Just call the damage boxes hit points.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 5 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #13

Resident Legionnaire

Yep, you got 10 hitpoints. Don't try to merge the two systems. They were never meant to do it, and you would have to rework so many things that you'd be better off creating your own system from scratch.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Dec 5 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (red_ronin9999)

Thanks,

Don't bother merging systems.

The easier routes are:

1) Get d20 Modern and d20 Future. Play with those rules exclusively. Borrow the SR setting.

2) Practice with SR more, get used to the combat system, use SR rules exclusively. Don't need to borrow the setting, it's already there.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 5 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

A quick chart to, uh, change wound levels to hit points... and, uh, every weapon in the game... and uh (brain hurting) the variable amounts (pain getting... worse) of damage for full-auto (vision... failing) and two weapon fighting (POP!).

A quick chart.

Actually, I have explained the wound box thing to D&D players as, "You get ten hit points, and every attack does either 0, 1, 3, 6, 10 or 10+ points of damage." I'm not proud of myself, I'm just saying I've done it.

While I consider d20 Modern to be the younger, stupider, less attractive sister to SR, if there are concepts about the d20 system that you like, then its probably the best way to go.

+Quote Post
red_ronin9999
post Dec 5 2004, 01:28 AM
Post #16

Target

My Problem with the SR damage system: The Newbs aren't the smartest people in the world, and bicker more than a pair of greedy children.

Mercer:: Thats a good way of putting it. Thanks.

R.Ronin9999 :cyber:

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Dec 5 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (red_ronin9999)
My Problem with the SR damage system: The Newbs aren't the smartest people in the world, and bicker more than a pair of greedy children.

So you mean they die in the first 20 minutes and then complain?

+Quote Post
red_ronin9999
post Dec 5 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #18

Target

No. They dont die, they just complain and lack intellect to notice that the beeping cylinder 3 feet from them is NOT an explosive device, until they STOP bickering over who keeps the guard's gun. Then they run. Run like they stole the devil's dougnut, and he knows they have it.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Dec 5 2004, 01:42 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

You're right. You need help. Professional help. Seriously.

Well okay, maybe not seriously... :rotfl:

Don't do it. This I really do mean. SR and D20 really don't mix, on so many levels. But then I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said here 10000000000 times before.

Listen, if my wife - who is a complete RP newb, and only started RP'ing because of me in the first place - can not only understand SR well enough to play it but to ref it (with some help), then your lot can do it. Or are you saying my wife's smarter than they are..? 8)

+Quote Post
red_ronin9999
post Dec 5 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #20

Target

I'm also a PC in a D&D campaign with them. They Bicker over who gets all the "Worthless Item A"s, and there are FOUR. I'm the 3rd PC, out of 3, and I know what's work fighting for. It's a small group, and I'm a king. YES. A Literall King. And these two dont stop fighting for nothing. I'd kill them both, but only me and the GM know how to generate a D&D Character, and I'm the only one who knows how to PLAY SR. Your right, I DO NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP. I need someone with a damn brain to kick the sh!t out of these newbs. The GM is going to Work during/after school (It's an After-school activity), and I'm going to start SR with the two to teach them some humility and have a little fun. So I was thinking to Make it easier for them to notice that everyone needs to have fun, but in my sick and evil way of showing them.

Now that you understand, I wanted to see if I could make it easier for their no observant minds to pay-attention.

Also, Ifyou have ANY help on making these two realize that CO-OPERATION is key, please feel free to post it. I dont care If it's dangerous to their characters... :evil:

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Dec 5 2004, 02:00 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Honestly, if that's the dynamic of your group, I don't think you should play Shadowrun. These don't sound like people who can be professional, and the way you're talking about them, it doesn't sound like you respect them enough for a decent game to work.

JaronK

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Dec 5 2004, 02:09 AM
Post #22

Resident Legionnaire

How old are these guys?

Continue playing D&D with them but do this...

Have a mysterious stranger (Mr. Johnson) send a messenger to contact them and ask them to meet at the Firedrink Tavern in (insert D&D city here). Try to convince them to go along. Tell them that this stranger will offer a (insert great item or loads of gold here) to them if they accomplish a specific task for him.

(Insert Shadowrun here)

These seem like "Monty Haulers" if that's the word. Everything they do, think : How are they screwing themselves over. If they steal something valuable, make sure whoever it belonged to sends people looking. And for god's sake make sure the people they send can kill the crap outta them. Be sure they know that these guys are after whatever they took to get it back. When they die, as I'm sure they will. Make sure they know that they could've survived had they attempted to flee.

Basically run the D&D game as you would a Shadowrun. Tell them that their D&D characters would prolly be better at it if they had some cyberware instaled, or if they had assault rifles. Say hey why don't we try a game of Shadowrun.

Maybe it could work?

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Dec 5 2004, 03:45 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (red_ronin9999)

Oh, so you dont have a conceptual problem with the damage system at all, its just that you're playing with fools. Ok. Yeah, thats not worth redoing the whole system.

But really, its not that hard. Tell them that they have 10 hit points and theyll never get more, but then tell them the trade off is that, if they roll well, they could take no damage at all even if they get hit, no matter what the attacker rolls. That should make them feel better.

Honestly, though, I fail to see how making it harder to die (as hit point systems almost invariably do) could be construed as a reasonable means to convince them that they need to pay attention.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 5 2004, 06:25 AM
Post #24

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

Don't play anything.

just find a game online.

Or try Paranoia XP. They can bicker all they want. And you can kill them.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Dec 5 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Paranoia, my God, that takes me back, the most fun you can have whilst stabbing your friends in the back... :)

Although I have to say that one of the very BEST roleplaying experiences I have ever had was when a GM took the humour out of Paranioa and made a very bleak "Logan's Run" kind of game (we won in the end, destroyed the Computer and freed the citizens of Alpha Complex).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.