Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Runner's Age and Experience, Just an option that I've used before
Stumps
post Dec 5 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,724

This is, more or less, just something that I'm throwing out here for anyone who wants the idea.

I already know that a number of people will not like, or want to use it.
And to that, it's fine.

Like the sub-title reads, this is an optional concept here.

First, The Theory.
Age often times, and more often than not, brings experience to us.
In SR, it really doesn't matter what age you are. A 20 year old runner who's been running for 5 days has the same ability of skill possibility as a runner of 50 years of age and has been running for 5 years.

While I don't bother with how long they've been running the shadows in this rule, mainly for simplicity's sake, I do attempt to represent the ability of gaining more skills over time, like in real life, at the trade-off of sacraficing your physical abilities.

The Mechanics Of It All.
For every 10 years of age past 30, the runner will get a GM's decision of either +5, +10, +15, or +20 Skill points added to their Character Generation alloted points for purchasing Skills. These points may only be used for purchasing Skills.
These points are to be alloted after the physical attributes have already been asigned values by the player and the points have been spent on them.

For every +5, +10, +15, or +20 (depending on which the GM goes with) skill points received in this manner, the character receives a -2 to one of their physical attributes in the following pecking order.
Body, Quickness, Strength.

-----------------------EXAMPLES-----------------------

With the +5 Skill point option a human character with all 6's:
Age 40:
Body: 4
Strength: 6
Quickness: 6

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +5

::

With the +10 Skill point option a human character with all 6's:
Age 50:
Quickness: 4

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +10

Age 60:
Strength: 4

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +15

-----------------------

Age 40:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +10

Age 50:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +20

Age 60:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +30

-----------------------

With the +15 Skill point option a human character with all 6's:
Age 40:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +15

With the +20 Skill point option a human character with all 6's:
Age 50:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +30

Age 60:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +45

-----------------------

Age 40:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +20

Age 40:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +40

Age 40:

Extra Skill points added for the age of the character beyond their normal Skill points at character creation: +60

-----------------------

The reason for the 4 different options of Skill points given (+5, +10, +15, and +20) is to provide GM's the flexibility to choose the right value to fit the power level of their game.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Dec 5 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Hello first generation elves and dwarves.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Dec 5 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,960

QUOTE (Stumps)

First, The Theory.
Age often times, and more often than not, brings experience to us.
In SR, it really doesn't matter what age you are. A 20 year old runner who's been running for 5 days has the same ability of skill possibility as a runner of 50 years of age and has been running for 5 years.

While I don't bother with how long they've been running the shadows in this rule, mainly for simplicity's sake, I do attempt to represent the ability of gaining more skills over time, like in real life, at the trade-off of sacraficing your physical abilities.

Um....no one has the same "ability of skill possibility" whatever the hell that actually means. But aside from a poor use of words I think I see what your saying. Not everyone can attain the same skills or has the same potential, it has to do with your attributes, karma gained, build points assigned. So actually there is no need for this "age adjustment" for anything other than a roleplaying tool. If you want to play the old guy from Blade just put more points in skills and less in attributes.

Do you just sit all day and look at the BBB, highlight things that are logical and then set about constructing "optional rules" in the most illogical way possible?
Or do you just have too much time on your hands? This wasn't meant to be a flame but some of things you come up with are just "wtf?". :wobble:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 5 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

With regard to this, I would definitely say to start with Quickness as the first stat to drop.

That being said, I think this is the player's decision and responsibility, not something that need be enforced by rules. A player already has the choice between stats and skills.

~J

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Dec 5 2004, 08:32 PM
Post #5

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

Frankly, I don't see the point. and a -2 to an atribute is a bit harsh, neh?

To dive in deeper, (and procrastiate some work more)
you'd have to take into account ages and maturity rates of different metahumans.

Elves, who life 4 times as long as orks do, wouldn't lose atr. as quickly.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 5 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

-2 Attribute: 4 Build Point cost.

+5 Skill Points: 5 Build Point cost.

With my Rigger, I'd've loved this rule. A free skill point? Sign me right up.

~J

+Quote Post
Stumps
post Dec 5 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,724

Eh, guys.
Don't get me wrong here.

I used this once before.
It wasn't that I sat around thinking about it.
Nor do I think that it's a major issue at all.

I just rather threw it in a game once just because I thought it once.
It worked decent with our game.

For some reason I remembered it out of the blue so I just threw it out for anyone to look at if they cared.

It's not even worth any real serious effort to me to bother with finiting this rule in any way because if I was real hard set on this, I'd do it diferently accounting for more things and making it more detailed, but like I said. I'm not.

Oh and Solstice, you weren't around when I first showed up.
In a two day span I layed out enough house rules from Initiative to Character Creation that it was claimed that I was out to re-write the entire game.

Since that time, I have written, or helped write about 4 different Initiative systems in depth for SR.
Made an alternate Hollywood rule system variation for SR
And I can't even begin to count the multiple variations of other rules I've mentioned or plucked at not counting ones I haven't posted.

I am a creation junkie.
I also over analyse things.
It's in my nature to tinker.

My first Signature used to read.
"Customize, Customize, Customize!"

My second Signature read.
"If it's not broke, mess with it until it is and then fix it."

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.