Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What happens when armor exceeds weapsons rating
U_Fester
post Dec 6 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,863

A mage is wearing an armor of 4/3. He casts an armor spell of force 6 and succeeds. He new armor rating is now a 10/9.

First what if he is hit with attacks that does 6L, 10L and 12L. Does he shrug off the 6 and 10 and his target number to soak 12 is a 2.

Second someone shoots him with APDS with a power 8M. Is all of the ballistic halved giving him a 5 (half of 10) or only the physical is halved and the magic is fine giving him an 8 (2 half of 4 and plus 6).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 6 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #2

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Unless he has milspec hardened armor or Immunity to Normal weapons his TN to soak for all three is 2.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 6 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Also, all of the armor is halved including the magical stuff.

~J

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 6 2004, 01:36 AM
Post #4

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

To clarify point 1: Let's say that your mage has a body of 1, and doesn't have any combat pool left. In all three cases, he takes a Light wound, since he can't stage it down enough. If he has enough dice, he'll be rolling against a TN of 2.

Thus, even with absurd armor ratings, a character is still vulnerable to high-damage-level attacks.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Dec 6 2004, 03:53 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (Cain)
Thus, even with absurd armor ratings, a character is still vulnerable to high-damage-level attacks.

If the armor is not hardened (as in our example), the absurd armor rating character is still vulnerable to attacks of 1L.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 6 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Vulnerable, yes; but not nearly as much as against a 1D attack.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Dec 6 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Thus the possibility of dying from a .22LR round that hits your leather jacket, backed by armor clothes and form fitting body armor. Don't you love when they misconstrue realism. It would be much more logical to reduce damage to a stun when it power hits 0 or less. Then again logic has nothing to do with it.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Dec 6 2004, 06:15 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Not necessarily. Some people die from shock when grazed with a bullet. (Or, a 2D attack?)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 6 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Why? The combat system in Shadowrun is abstract. A highly successful shot might mean the shooter hit you in the head.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Dec 6 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

True, but if he doesn't call an extremity shot I assume he is aiming for chest and the vital organs. (not that the brain isn't vital it's just damn hard to hit on a moving target)

It's just a matter of very poor wording and thinking. Much like the Hand of God shotguns. A little more thinking would avoid situations like this.

Me I prefer to rule that unless you roll all 1's when struck by a round that your armor reduces the power to 0 or less, you take no real damage. It might be a nick, scrap or powder burn. This balances since head shots ignore armor anyway unless you have a hemet.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 6 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

So you aren't using the Shadowrun combat system. Fair enough.

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Dec 6 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (lorthazar)
Thus the possibility of dying from a .22LR round that hits your leather jacket, backed by armor clothes and form fitting body armor.
If you play by canon, the rules don't tell you where someone was hit. If a heavily armored character is hit with a Hold-Out Pistol with 8 net successes before Damage Resistance and the character only gets 2 successes on DamRes, the GM could descibe it as being hit in the forehead.

I agree that some way of making heavy armor more useful against attacks should exist. I personally give an additional die on the Damage Resistance test for each point armor would drop the Power of the attack under 2. Thus 10 points of Ballistics armor vs Hold-Out Pistol = 2L with 8 extra dice on the Damage Resistance test.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Dec 6 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
So you aren't using the Shadowrun combat system. Fair enough.

~J

It's interesting how lots of us for some reason don't like to deal with the system we are given and seem compelled to make it more real. It's a game that deals in *alot* of fantasy topics, that usually halts most of my desire to make it more believable and logical.

I wonder how many of us change up the rules of Monopoly or Stratego to add more realism? $5000 for landing on Boardwalk?!??!! Damned property values are rediculous!

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Dec 6 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Hey Kagetenshi,

I'm just wondering if you are the same slot who makes the GM's life hell every week by being the quintessential rules lawyer? If not then I appologize for asking.

As for your comment, Yes, I do use the shadowrun system, as my ruling has never come up. Most of my players either where light enough armor that a holdout has at least 1 power, or hardened military armor.

Yes according to rules the shot is never determined, but in quite a few cases the only place a round can hit is a heavily armored area. Now according to rules the successes still stage up the damage in that case, which I follow faithfully. I have had trolls die from shock because a 9mm APDS pierced their hand. I have had mages live through a 12 gauge to the head. It is fine to have an abstract rule and I play with that rule. But the day that rule makes the game unfun for the whole group, I will make revisions. That is what make me a good GM.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 6 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (lorthazar @ Dec 6 2004, 01:49 PM)
Hey Kagetenshi,

I'm just wondering if you are the same slot who makes the GM's life hell every week by being the quintessential rules lawyer? If not then I appologize for asking.

I am the GM most of the time, and when I'm not the GM likewise understands the value of using a consistent and previously known set of rules. There have been occasions when during games we have made a ruling and then researched it later, but last time I checked we're not playing a game that could get bogged down by discussing this right now.

Given infinite time, I will generally try to approach infinite precision with regards to examining the SR3 rules. Then I make revisions if necessary, but I never try to pass off those revisions as logical extensions of canon.

~J

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Dec 6 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

I very much prefer when a GM for the most part follows the rules as written, unless they give warning that they're going to do otherwise. I've seen too many GMs decide something weird is "reasonable" or "more realistic" and it stinks.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 6 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (lorthazar)
As for your comment, Yes, I do use the shadowrun system, as my ruling has never come up. Most of my players either where light enough armor that a holdout has at least 1 power, or hardened military armor.

So your player's characters wear, at the absolute most, Armored Clothing (Ballistic 3)? And if not that, they're strapping on MilGrade Hardened Armor? To each their own.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Dec 6 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

I have a new definition of irony

Infinite Precision of Knowledge in a Flawed Subject :rotfl:

No offense meant it just struck me as to funny not to share.

Here's the deal as I see it. Their are two factors to the game: Rules and Players. Without players there would be no use for the rules. So if your group (as a group mind you) think something should work one way, and the rules seem a little buggy on that, then the rule changes. New handouts can be made. The house rule can be explained.

Does this make the game any less ShadowRun? No, in fact it may make the game more shadowrun.

Does this make me right and you wrong? No, but it also doesn't make me wrong and you right

Does this make my rules inconsistent? No. once I go by a ruling and it has been used once I stick with it, unless FanPro were to come down with an Errata that made more sense.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Dec 6 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
So your player's characters wear, at the absolute most, Armored Clothing (Ballistic 3)?  And if not that, they're strapping on MilGrade Hardened Armor?  To each their own.

Actually, in one game they wear ballistic cloth backed leather clothes. We are going with an old cyberpunk feel.

In another game milspec is what they wear when on runs. Rest of the time heaviest thing i have seen is a gel pack lined coat.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Dec 7 2004, 02:42 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Also, just because your character is wearing a full suit of armor, doesn't always mean their entire body is covered in the same amount of armor. Armor ratings, especially when you having stacking of armor, represents the overall, otherwise, you'd have to have individual part armor ratings. Chest/Torso would be as listed, every other part a fraction of that. Which is why basic armor doesn't bounce ammo rounds unless its hardened.

By the game rules, just running around bareassed with nothing on except a plated armor vest gives you decent armor protection. About the same armor protection, if not a little more, than wearing a full suit of 90% covering FFBA.

So wearing an armor jacket still means my character can take a round in the arm, as I'm sure not the entire jacket is plated and protected. Made of bullet resistant cloth, sure, but not plated.

+Quote Post
algcs
post Dec 7 2004, 03:59 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,871

So we should assume the armor spell doesn't cover the entire body? In the first post the mage has a force 6 Armor spell up and gets hit by a DL 6 attack. Just using the armor spell the DL is a zero. Ok so it isn't real armor and it is magic and works differently than regular armor. That is fine and dandy but then why the heck does ADPS 1/2 the armor spell?

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Dec 7 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Well, here's one way to look at it. A character is wearing a SecureTech ultra vest over form fitting body armour, with an Armoured Jacket with Dikoted plates over the top (Balistic Rating 9). He's quite well armoured. If he's a troll, and someone shoots a 9M heavy pistol shot at him, the armour will take the vast majority of the damage, causing him to grunt a bit from the hit, but otherwise be fine. If, however, he's a little weakling, the shot may knock the wind out of him and knock him down, causing him to hit his head or maybe just be so scared by the whole thing that he goes into shock.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Jonah
post Dec 7 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 5,758

location is not stated, so a leather jacket will not save your life if I shoot you in the eye with a .22. Remember the better you are at shooting a gun, the more successes you get = bigger damage code.
A noob with a panther cannon will hit everything but the target, an olympic shooter will put one in each eye socket at 500m with a match grade .22 pistol.
This doesn't need a called shot, it is reflected by the characters skill. Accuaracy is far deadlier than the perverbial BIG GUN.

Called shots however let you bypass armour (mmm that military spec guy just took of his helmet, or worse still DON"T get caught with your amoured pants down)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 05:56 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Accuracy won't let you do 20D(AV).

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 7 2004, 05:59 AM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Accuracy will let you bypass vehicle armor altogether, which is almost as good.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.