IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Step, Datajacks, here we come!
Ecclesiastes
post Dec 7 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #1

Jesus Freak

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,274

JS Online: Think, think, shoot, score!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 7 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Reading that description gave me an interesting idea-

If a character were to receive a new DNI implant there would be an adjustment period wherein the character would have to learn how to concentrate to use the implant. Maybe that would require a simple WIL test to perform, modified by how much stress the character is under.

Could make for some interesting RP moments during combat....

+Quote Post
Method
post Dec 7 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #3

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Another Article

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 7 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Want.

~J

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Dec 7 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #5

Jesus Freak

Member No.: 6,274

QUOTE (Method)
Reading that description gave me an interesting idea-

If a character were to receive a new DNI implant there would be an adjustment period wherein the character would have to learn how to concentrate to use the implant. Maybe that would require a simple WIL test to perform, modified by how much stress the character is under.

Could make for some interesting RP moments during combat....

It would depend on the implant. A smartlink is DNI, but there would be no learning curve at all for it, you just point and follow the red dot. Something like a chip jack could be a little different, as you learn how to browse the files loaded on the slotted chip. YMMV.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Dec 7 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

The thing I'd think would be hardest to adjust to would be skillwires. It's basically a chip driving your body and overriding your own brain; that'd just be creepy for quite awhile.

+Quote Post
iPad
post Dec 8 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,671

I recon skill wires would be easy, you just try and do something the skill has plugged in and you do it.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Dec 8 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
It would depend on the implant. A smartlink is DNI, but there would be no learning curve at all for it, you just point and follow the red dot.

That reminds me of something...how the heck can a smartlink make a single dot that points where your gun is aiming? It seems to me that it would need to have a line drawn through 3-D space to do that. The capability is there since it has a limited simrig, ballistic processor, &c. I just think that they would be better off describing it as being like a laser sight where you can see the entire beam.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 8 2004, 05:24 AM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Why wouldn't they be able to do the dot? The arc is calculated, but only the point at which it intersects with an object is actually drawn. Of course, this would require a Rangefinder…

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Dec 8 2004, 05:26 AM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

QUOTE (ES_Riddle @ Dec 8 2004, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes @ Dec 7 2004, 06:45 PM)
It would depend on the implant.  A smartlink is DNI, but there would be no learning curve at all for it, you just point and follow the red dot.

That reminds me of something...how the heck can a smartlink make a single dot that points where your gun is aiming? It seems to me that it would need to have a line drawn through 3-D space to do that. The capability is there since it has a limited simrig, ballistic processor, &c. I just think that they would be better off describing it as being like a laser sight where you can see the entire beam.

Well, it can "draw the line" in computer memory and then not display it, since arcs are hardly useful to the shooter. Though, I see no reason one can't have such a display as you describe, just as nothing stops one from having a pink flower who's transparent center marks the point.

I see what your problem is, but that's the purpose of the Simsense Rig, to "read" what the person is shooting at.

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: Dec 8 2004, 05:27 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.