Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Step
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ecclesiastes
JS Online: Think, think, shoot, score!
Method
Reading that description gave me an interesting idea-

If a character were to receive a new DNI implant there would be an adjustment period wherein the character would have to learn how to concentrate to use the implant. Maybe that would require a simple WIL test to perform, modified by how much stress the character is under.

Could make for some interesting RP moments during combat....
Method

Another Article
Kagetenshi
Want.

~J
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (Method)
Reading that description gave me an interesting idea-

If a character were to receive a new DNI implant there would be an adjustment period wherein the character would have to learn how to concentrate to use the implant. Maybe that would require a simple WIL test to perform, modified by how much stress the character is under.

Could make for some interesting RP moments during combat....

It would depend on the implant. A smartlink is DNI, but there would be no learning curve at all for it, you just point and follow the red dot. Something like a chip jack could be a little different, as you learn how to browse the files loaded on the slotted chip. YMMV.
Eyeless Blond
The thing I'd think would be hardest to adjust to would be skillwires. It's basically a chip driving your body and overriding your own brain; that'd just be creepy for quite awhile.
iPad
I recon skill wires would be easy, you just try and do something the skill has plugged in and you do it.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
It would depend on the implant. A smartlink is DNI, but there would be no learning curve at all for it, you just point and follow the red dot.

That reminds me of something...how the heck can a smartlink make a single dot that points where your gun is aiming? It seems to me that it would need to have a line drawn through 3-D space to do that. The capability is there since it has a limited simrig, ballistic processor, &c. I just think that they would be better off describing it as being like a laser sight where you can see the entire beam.
Kagetenshi
Why wouldn't they be able to do the dot? The arc is calculated, but only the point at which it intersects with an object is actually drawn. Of course, this would require a Rangefinder…

~J
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (ES_Riddle @ Dec 8 2004, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes @ Dec 7 2004, 06:45 PM)
It would depend on the implant.  A smartlink is DNI, but there would be no learning curve at all for it, you just point and follow the red dot.

That reminds me of something...how the heck can a smartlink make a single dot that points where your gun is aiming? It seems to me that it would need to have a line drawn through 3-D space to do that. The capability is there since it has a limited simrig, ballistic processor, &c. I just think that they would be better off describing it as being like a laser sight where you can see the entire beam.

Well, it can "draw the line" in computer memory and then not display it, since arcs are hardly useful to the shooter. Though, I see no reason one can't have such a display as you describe, just as nothing stops one from having a pink flower who's transparent center marks the point.

I see what your problem is, but that's the purpose of the Simsense Rig, to "read" what the person is shooting at.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012