> Magical Traps?, One Ring To Rule Them All
LinaInverse
post Dec 27 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,701

Hey all,

After sitting through the 4 1/2 hr ExtEd of LotR: RotK, a thought came to me about SR. Would it be possible for a paranoid mage/shaman to make an item that would only work "properly" for them? For example, it's a powerful Foci when they wear it, but if someone else were to try to use it, some other enchantment kicks in that messes them up?

It's not a new concept of course; LotR's whole premise, not to mention an endless raft of D&D copycatting have had powerful items that could enslave, cripple or kill thieves or other who would dare wear their "master's" item. But the problem is that SR seems to rely entirely on an item having to "bond" (ie, spend Karma) before it will work on a person.

The closest thing I could think of would have been an Anchoring Foci (set to fire off a powerful spell, linked to a Detect Individual), but even that requires bonding, doesn't it? Also, there's the whole business that the Drain has to be paid for by the original owner, which kind of puts a kibosh on this idea. For that matter (somewhat unrelated topic), what happens to an Anchoring Foci if the original creater is dead? Does it die too?

Or would this idea be better done by creating a custom spell instead? Are there drain modifiers that could be paid for that would allow a spell to be put onto an item/person/whatever that would fire off later?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 27 2004, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Anchoring focus with a Detect Individual spell. On a false reading, it triggers the anchor which does something nasty.

Edit: and you said that. Gee, I'm awake.

~J

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Dec 27 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Unfortunately Kage, if the person who picks it up doesn't Bind to it (ie, spend the Karma), then the Anchor doesn't work, doesn't it? Or am I reading something wrong? The other thing about Anchors is that damned requirement of the original caster to pay the drain on time of the spell going off, which kind of defeats the purpose of making the *other* person pay a price for stealing, and not the original creator.

I'm now thinking more that a custom spell that is cast on the Foci, rather than an enchantment on the Foci itself would be a better answer. I don't have my MITS here, so I can't pull up spell research to see if such options are available.

+Quote Post
Bossemanden
post Dec 27 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,535

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Anchoring focus with a Detect Individual spell. On a false reading, it triggers the anchor which does something nasty.

Edit: and you said that. Gee, I'm awake.

~J

YouŽd need three spells for that no?
Detect touch

On positive trigger:
Detect Individual

On Negative trigger:
Nasty nastiness

The Detect Individual would read false as soon as said indvidual isnt within detection range. Having a Control Action (Kill Self or something like that) spell go of as soon as you leave you shop, might be somewhat counter productive.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 27 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the creator could bind an imp to serve by using its true name, then force the imp to occupy the item in question.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Dec 27 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I'm assuming this doesn't make the Imp all that happy. If anything, I would think that the Imp would *help* whoever managed to swipe the Foci in question in the hope of escaping. Does using a True Name mean that the creator can control the Imp to do his bidding (ie, give standing commands to do bad things to anyone who touches the Foci except the original creator)?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 27 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

yep. it has to obey the caster's commands. it might attempt to twist them by interpreting the command in interesting ways, but it has to obey at some level.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Dec 27 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #8

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

But he has to be pretty impressive in his wording, and the spirit can be free to... interpret.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Dec 27 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

What are the powers of an Imp anyway? Are Imps basically Free Spirits? For that matter, the Force level of an Imp would also have to be taken into account; if too low, then frankly, the Foci's new owner (assuming he's even marginally capable in Magic) would probably just have the Imp killed. It'd have to be pretty high to be credible as a "watchdog".

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 28 2004, 01:14 AM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Unfortunately Kage, if the person who picks it up doesn't Bind to it (ie, spend the Karma), then the Anchor doesn't work, doesn't it? Or am I reading something wrong?

You're reading something wrong. The only person who can spend karma to bond an anchoring focus is the mage with Anchoring. *And* it counts against your limits for focus addiction, which doubly makes it problematical.

However, there's no reason why an anchoring focus only has to have one spell linked in it. You can have it loaded with Detect Individual/Niftyness for the original mage, and Detect Everyone Else/Nastyness for all other occurances. As long as your anchoring focus has enough force to hold that many spells, it'll work.

As for Imps, look up Threats 2 for full details.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Dec 28 2004, 02:00 AM
Post #11

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (mfb)
yep. it has to obey the caster's commands. it might attempt to twist them by interpreting the command in interesting ways, but it has to obey at some level.

You know if the mage/shaman is also a lawyer... he could conceivably phrase his commands such that the imp cannot misinterpret his orders. A lawyer should have a ton of Language dice while a low Force Imp has only a couple of Language dice...

Also you could have a Unique enchantment focus, you know.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 28 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

unique enchantments are possible, of course, but i prefer to try and interpret new concepts according to the established rules. (yeah, unique enchantments are established, but imps are more established, having a solid ruleset.)

+Quote Post
Shrapnel
post Dec 28 2004, 06:03 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,852

QUOTE (LinaInverse)
The other thing about Anchors is that damned requirement of the original caster to pay the drain on time of the spell going off, which kind of defeats the purpose of making the *other* person pay a price for stealing, and not the original creator.

Had an interesting, but useless, thought...

Instead of using the standard cool spells or alarms to detect people, just set up a low-level anchored spell as an alarm...

"Oh, my head... Somebody must be breaking into our apartment again..."

I know, completely useless, but funny nonetheless. :silly:

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 28 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

A Ward does all of that.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 1 2005, 06:56 AM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The problem with using a detect individual spell as a trigger is that, if you use it often enough, the detct spell is bound to fail eventually. If it does at the wrong time you'l be in for a world of hurt.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Jan 1 2005, 07:21 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The problem with using a detect individual spell as a trigger is that, if you use it often enough, the detct spell is bound to fail eventually. If it does at the wrong time you'l be in for a world of hurt.

Yeah - applying the rule of 1 to that sort of thing would cause havoc, I would think.

:vegm: Have the ring become permanently bonded physically to your finger - and with the spells inverted, for instance. Kinda makes you want to go yakuza on your finger...

Actually, part of the nastiness of the spell could BE a spell of binding to the unauthorized user - and shocks them whenever magic is cast (use detect magic followed by lightning bolt)

I can SO imagine a dragon creating one of those to stash in his horde....:vegm:

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Jan 2 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Not to go off on a semi-tangent, but if you really want some great traps, find the Grimtooth's Traps series & read them. There is a new book coming out within the next couple of months, but under Necromancer Games, 'The Wurst of Grimtooth's Traps'. :D:D

I watched the Extended RotK too, and loved it. Bruce Spence (better known as the GyroCaptain from MadMax) played The Mouth of Sauron. Classic. :D

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Feb 25 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

A quick update on Grimtooh's Wurst of Traps; it's just a compliation of all the previous books, converted to the much despised D20 system. I am saddened by this.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Feb 25 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

It would ether have to be a unique enchantment (talk to your gm) or include an anchoring focus with a detect bonding ritual spell to trigger something offensive.

This would mean that anybody that tried to bond the focus would be attacked by it.

I seem to recall nobody having access to imps home metaplain or for that matter knowing if they have true names

Edward

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Feb 25 2005, 04:47 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

It is a small line, but I've used it as ample justification for "magical" intrusive counter measures. (Traps sounds too DNDish :) ) P88. MITS "Anchored spells are used in Astral security, ... to provide reactive wards.."
If they can do it for astral security, why can't an organization that can't spring for High tech locks and gee wiz security like pressure plates, but has enough magical knowledge, be able to create magical variants of the same ideas? If done sparingly, i find it a subtle reminder to the players that it's the 6th world, and not just :cyber: -punk.
Player 1: It's not mag locked, cool I'll open it.
Me: Roll Willpower target 5.
Player 1: Why, what the hell just happened.
Me: A ***** just went off in your face.
Player 2: Sorry bro, I should have assensed it first.
Player 1: Damn, just as long as there ain't no friggen Kobolds on the other side of that door.
Me: :evil:
Just kidding, but that would be kind of funny.
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 25 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Lina, just curious, if you could do what yer askin about what would you make?

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 25 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

First off, our campaign is almost entirely Canon, so what I want and what I can make is 2 entirely different things. Canon requires that any actual Foci enchantment be listed in the Force of the Foci, which pumps up the Karma, Costs, and material requirements (not to mention, Foci addiction), even when that enchantment doesn't directly serve the intended purpose of the Foci. Shadowrun also inherently doesn't allow "harmful" enchantments that I know of, short of Anchoring, which quite frankly sucks in 3rdEd implementation. Specifically, the original caster would have to pay the drain for the spell upon activation, even if the spell is supposed to be baneful to the thief. Because of that one rule, most "curse" Anchors end up harming the creator more than the intended victim of the curse.

The best solution I could probably come up with would be to research a custom enchantment (ie, a Combat or Manipulation spell) to activate upon certain conditions. Unfortunately, MITS doesn't have such clauses in the spell research section (I've checked), so I would have to sell an idea to my GM.

In a perfect world? If I could have anything I wanted, and damn the rules? I'd probably make an item enslave anyone who attempted to wear/steal/etc my item for themselves (to be fair, make it go against their Willpower).

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 25 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Groovy, a "Charming" bracelet. Most of the GM's I've known (3/5) would bend the rules just to see what havoc it'd create. I'd just allow it and advise extreme caution.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 25 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

you could probably do that with anchoring, though you'd have to bend the rules. anchor the enslavement spell to a Detect Individual (focus owner) spell, but do it backwards so that anyone who isn't detected by the spell--ie, anyone who isn't the proper owner--triggers the spell.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 25 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

The problem mfb is that, when anchoring, the user has to pay for the drain when the spell is triggered. Control Thoughts (the closest spell) is a fairly hefty drain code (as well it should be). Don't forget; this spell is going to be likely triggered while the rightful owner has just been beaten either to death or unconsciousness. Hence, no Anchor.

Two, the spell itself would have to be fairly high Force; anything less than an 8 is going to be laughed off by anyone competent enough to steal a magical Foci (trust me; that old "pickpocket the foci" trick GMs like to run ain't going to work with the form-factor I have in mind). That's 8 Force points (plus the force of the Detect Individual spell, which needs a few dice to be reliable) the mage has to deal with, with regard to Foci Addition that does absolutely nothing for him in all other circumstances; basically crippling his ability to use other Foci.

Read what I said again: I need a way to do this within the basic Canon ruleset of SR3rdEd.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.