Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did you say Niner?
Gilthanis
post Jan 4 2005, 08:23 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,676

Without using any magic or spirits, is there a way to make a start out character with all 6 attributes at a 9 or higher? I can manage to get all attributes except for Charisma on my own, but how would you do it and please keep it to the character generation rules.

No house rules.
No starting karma to spend.
No magic/spirits.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonah
post Jan 4 2005, 08:25 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 5,758

Why would you want to?
Sounds Munchkinish.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 4 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

It does, but a few of us wondered what the most a character could max all of them out at?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 4 2005, 08:28 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

cha should be pretty easy, i'd think. Tailored Pheremones 2, Extra Attribute Point.

edit: color me stupid. TF has avail 12.

+Quote Post
Jonah
post Jan 4 2005, 08:28 AM
Post #5

Target

If you have the cash you can get plastic surgery (man and machine)
Coupled with a few edges from Companion....

Just checking 'em now

+Quote Post
Jonah
post Jan 4 2005, 08:34 AM
Post #6

Target

Exceptional attribute +1
...not much else...

could go a dryad...they get +3 charisma...

lots of stuff to give you a boost in a social situation however.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 4 2005, 08:35 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Well...here is what I was thinking.

Muscle Aug.
Muscle Toner
Dermal Sheathing
Cerebral Booster

Dwarf character for +1 Willpower
Albino for another +1 Willpower or just go with a Gnome instead for a +2 or both for a +3

Tailored Pheromones have too high of an availability, so I am stuck with a charisma of 7 by going with the bonus attribute Edge.

You could try reversing the scenario by using an elf to boost charisma, but then you are lacking in the willpower category. At least with the dwarf you can get tailored pheromones later.

+Quote Post
Jonah
post Jan 4 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #8

Target

But why have stack-o-stats?
Can the character actualy DO anything?
Can they do it WELL?
Can they do it BETTER than someone else in the party?

If not you end up a fith wheel.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 4 2005, 08:44 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Look at my previous answer to that J. It was just to see if it could get there. It is feesible to get 7's accross the board and possibly 8's. We were just wondering if there is a way to get 9's.

I'm not looking for the best character that will NEVER EVER exist. Every character has there own purpose, edges, and flaws.

This is just simply a "Could you do it?" moment.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jan 4 2005, 08:45 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Tailored Pheremones are availabililty 12, so not allowed for starting characters. Are we allowed to exceed that availability... or for that matter can we have cultured bioware?

JaronK

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 4 2005, 08:46 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (JaronK @ Jan 4 2005, 03:45 AM)
Tailored Pheremones are availabililty 12, so not allowed for starting characters.  Are we allowed to exceed that availability... or for that matter can we have cultured bioware?

JaronK

Per my initial description, No. Only the rules for character creation stated in the book. And since we are talking about edges and flaws lets assume if you go point based system that you use the standard 120 points as recommended. But, we need to leave some points for skills afterall... I know you can throw all points into attributes....but we are looking more towards cyberware/bioware or other techs. I was assuming 30 Attribute points.

+Quote Post
noneuklid
post Jan 4 2005, 08:47 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,925

SURGE albino elf. Use the 'dual natured' flaw and maybe a couple others to feed all the points you'll need.

Exceptional Attribute (all)
Bonus Attribute point (all but Charisma, after you've spent the 7 base points for each of 'em)

So there you have an Elf with 8 in Body, Strength, and Intelligence in 9 in Quickness, Charisma, and Willpower. The biomods'll boost the low three, and you can even kill the Bonus Attribute Point for some of 'em if you'd rather.

Edit: Oh, if no cultured bioware, then the cerebral booster is right out. It seems like there was a headware that gave a 'simulated' bonus to Intelligence, or something along those lines.

Edit 2: I don't have Matrix, but I seem to recall reading that otaku get +1 to all mental stats and -1 to all physical. Conveniently enough, physical are the easiest to boost. However, I don't know if this is plausible, since I also seem to recall reading that otaku get 5k :nuyen: in starting resources, which would seriously put a damper on any street sammie stylings.

This post has been edited by noneuklid: Jan 4 2005, 08:51 AM

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jan 4 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

If I'm allowed cultured bioware and availability 12 at creation, it's easy.

Albino Gnome with exceptional attribute (body) and bonus attribute point (intelligence), with max in stats, superthyroid gland, muscle toner 2, muscle augmentation 1, cerebral booster 2, cultured pheremones 2 (the only part that needed the availability or cultured status), and that's it.

9 in all stats, 10 charisma, and 590,000Y left to spend. With 6 points in flaws he's actually got room for a few skills, plus money for gear, and he's only got a bio index of 3.85, which isn't great but is workable.

Of course, he can't do all that much, and being mundane has little use for Willpower 9, but he's real good in social situations.

JaronK

+Quote Post
noneuklid
post Jan 4 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

"Sure, he's small, looks like bleached undies and (insert effects of flaws here), but damn we love him."

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 4 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Only cultured bioware that has an availability of 8 or less. The last I recalled cultured was an option as long as it was within availability.

EDIT\

Note: If going point system.
Elf Metavariant + SURGE + Enough money for mods + 30 attributes = 110 points leaving us with 10 skill points.

Not the most skilled but oh well.

EDIT2\ The reason for a 9 Willpower for a non-magical character?!!!! Are you kidding me!!!! That just makes it easier to resist those nasty spells. You might as well said give a 1 Willpower because I don't need it.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jan 4 2005, 09:53 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

6 is enough willpower to shrug off almost any willpower targeting spell... 9 is excessive.

JaronK

+Quote Post
noneuklid
post Jan 4 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

My calc's showing Elf (10) Changeling (5) Albino (text implies no cost, even though it's technically a metavariant) Attributes (84 points- 7 per stat = 42 total attr points x2), Dual Natured (+10), Edges (6x Enhanced Attribute/5x Bonus Attribute Point) (24). So, before Resources and Skills, that's 113 points (although theoretically you could take another 18 points of flaws (hah! loverly!) and net 95 sum points before Resources and Flaws).

Didn't say it'd be easy, or that he actually HAD any skills- but yeah, you *can* do it...

It might be better just to talk the GM into letting you run a Drake. ;)

Pfft, Willpower is seriously neglected. Everybody wants that uber-die combat pool!

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jan 4 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

I believe you can't take more than one bonus attribute point or one enhanced attribute point, so that won't work.

The hard part is that without going over availability 8, you can't increase charisma without using up bonus or enhanced points, so you need at least +1 charisma (unless SOTA64 has something I'm not aware of... I only saw tailored pheremones). Also, you can only raise intelligence by 2, and I didn't see any way to raise willpower without a pain editor. This means you need stat boosts in intelligence, charisma, and willpower, and I didn't see any options that give all three.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 4 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Tailored Pheremones still don't up Charisma, you know.

~J

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 4 2005, 06:45 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (JaronK)
6 is enough willpower to shrug off almost any willpower targeting spell...

I wish.

+Quote Post
Gilthanis
post Jan 4 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (JaronK)
I believe you can't take more than one bonus attribute point or one enhanced attribute point, so that won't work.

The hard part is that without going over availability 8, you can't increase charisma without using up bonus or enhanced points, so you need at least +1 charisma (unless SOTA64 has something I'm not aware of... I only saw tailored pheremones). Also, you can only raise intelligence by 2, and I didn't see any way to raise willpower without a pain editor. This means you need stat boosts in intelligence, charisma, and willpower, and I didn't see any options that give all three.

JaronK

Your missing the point of different races though. That is why we brought in the metavarients. Then you can get the bonuses you need for at least one of those stats. That is why I was reserving the bonus attribute for intelligence and going with a dyad or a gnome for the willpower or charisma.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 4 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #22

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

noneuklid you're violating a couple basic premises for character generation. You can only spend 60 points on attributes, meaning a total of 30 starting attribute points or an average of five in each attribute. Also, according to rules recommendations in the comanion you may only have a maximum of 5 edges and 5 flaws and the difference between the two cannot be more than 6 net points.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 4 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

The max-30-points is just a suggestion, same with edge/flaw limits.

~J

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 4 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The max-30-points is just a suggestion, same with edge/flaw limits.

Isn't the availability cap also just a suggestion?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 4 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Nope, listed as a rule.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.