IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grounding Spells through Foci, Can it still be done?
Mugzy
post Jan 4 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: 50 Clicks north of Dragon City (Front Range Free Zone)
Member No.: 6,896

After looking in the SR3 ruls and MiTS, I can't seem to find any instance where a mage from astral space is able to ground a spell through an active foci, provided the spell is a non-targeted, area of effect spell, and using the foci's rating as the resistance factor. Also, the Grimoire 2 alluded to being able to ground through quickened spells, as they were open "vorticies" to astral space, using the spell's rating as the resistance factor.

If I recall correctly, in 2nd Ed, this was a good reason to get masking to mask those foci, and to put a balancing factor on the quickened/locked spell guy, as it would destroy the bond between the mage and the focus, requiring a re-bonding.

I think I remember SR3 saying something about open vorticies to astral space, but not saying anything about grounding spells through foci directly.

Anyone have any info on this? If not, anyone have any house rules? All the games Ive seen about are mage heavy, and this is a great balancing factor to that, being as magic is supposed to be rare.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jan 4 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

This can't be done anymore except with house rules.

All you can do in 3rd edition is to attack the foci or spells themselves, but it won't carry through to the physical plane.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 4 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Grounding of any type as described in earlier versions of Shadowrun does not exist in SR3.

And good riddance!

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 4 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

So, what is the real balancing factor that is supported by canon? If a mage isn't making him/herself a target then what is the drawback to anchoring/quickening a bunch of spells all the time?

This post has been edited by Jrayjoker: Jan 4 2005, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 4 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
So, what is the real balancing factor that is supported by canon? If a mage isn't making him/herself a target then what is the drawback to anchoring/quickening a bunch of spells all the time?

Focus addiction.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 4 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

So, how bad is that. If I want to play that then I will. There are plenty of other ways to get killed and a lot of them are more likely.

I don't have my books here, what are the drawbacks of focus addiction?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 4 2005, 03:49 PM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Wards, malicious spirits, FAB, to name a few. Otherwise the karma costs keep things manageable

Quickening doesn't add to Focus addiction, Anchoring does.

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Jan 4 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 639

About karma cost : anchoring is much more expensive, and the drain is suffered when the spell is triggered, another new drawback.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 4 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

I don't have my books here, what are the drawbacks of focus addiction?

Magic Loss, but [focus addiction] won't affect Quickening.

If you want to mess with an abusive magician, Imps are fun.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 4 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Too true KT

I like mine to be a bit less evil, but certainly Karma drainers so the mage has a harder time advancing any skills, etc.

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Jan 4 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

If I think my mage players are getting a little too OTT I slap a nice fat background count on them or have an NPC attack a focus.

Mostly though, my mage player is sensible with his use of magic.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 4 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

There sure is a lot to keep track of in the astral world, isn't there.

Liek I said before, I don't have my books. Does it specifically state anywhere that it is now impossible to ground through a focus?

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Jan 4 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

I think it does in the main rulebook when it's talking about spellcasting and targeting for spells. Could be in the focus/astral object section though.

+Quote Post
Mugzy
post Jan 4 2005, 05:03 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I, for one, see the need to slap the mages around every once in a while. A manabolt is just as deadly as a .45 slug, and mages that I know tend to expect to get away with more.

If I remember, grounding was only an option when using a non targeted area of effect spell, becasue specific targeting between planes was impossible.

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Jan 4 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

i, for one, am sorry to see grounding go...

for one, it seemed to fit with the magical concept of "as above, so below", and so if something was dual natured, like an active focus, you could ground a spell through it...the whole point was that you were creating a "bridge"....

why is it that you can possess someone and affect the mundane world, but not ground anymore??

i liked nothing better than having a team protecting a mage in the center, only to have an astral mage drop a manaball down through the link - frying out the focus in the process... (note that you should have to defeat the focus, and any left over damage/successes would then transfer to the mundane world)

i'd at least like to see this return as a metamagic ability...

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 4 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

I'm with bitrunner. The mage casting the spell also has to resist physical drain for casting while astral, a disincentive if I ever heard of one.

+Quote Post
Mugzy
post Jan 4 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Bit, thats brilliant. A Grounding metamagic technique would be a great way to put a little caution into the focus heavy spellslinger.
The concept of a bridge is still there to an extent it seems, but grounding seems to have been mysteriousley omitted altogether, with no reference saying you can or cant shove an AoE spell through

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jan 4 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
There sure is a lot to keep track of in the astral world, isn't there.

Liek I said before, I don't have my books. Does it specifically state anywhere that it is now impossible to ground through a focus?

Both SR3 core rules and MITS make no mention of grounding anywhere, so therefore it doesn't exist. It caught me and my players off-guard too.

Speaking of changes, you don't get to move you Quickness each action anymore like in SR2 either. :wink:

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 4 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Ouch to the limit on movement. I suppose you could make a lot of headway, potentially more than your movement allowable (including multiplier), if you were wired to the gills and had three initiative phases and were a dwarf.

bitrunner, should we start an email campaign to Wizkids/FanPro to get a new metamagic technique in the next magic book?

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jan 4 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #20

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Does it specifically state anywhere that it is now impossible to ground through a focus?

No it doesn't but that's not necessary either. Spell Targeting in SR3 requires two things:

1. You must see your target and
2. you must be on the same plane as the target

=> A purely astrally present mage can only cast a spell against astrally active targets.

An active focus is dual natured
=> It is present on the astral. People surrounding the physical part of the focus aren't present however => They are no valid targets for the caster and thus are unaffected.

The next thing that removes grounding from the SR3 scenario is the reorganisation of spell categories. Grounding required a magician to channel a physical spell through an anctive focus (other dual-natured entities IIRC weren't even mentioned in the rule, so Grouding through spirits and the like at least to my memory wasn't possible either). In SR3 however it's impossible to even cast physical spells on the astral plane ...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 5 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (bitrunner)
i liked nothing better than having a team protecting a mage in the center, only to have an astral mage drop a manaball down through the link

Except this was never the way Grounding worked. An Area-Effect Physical spell was needed. Since (as was said above) Physical spells can no longer be cast on the Astral as of SR3, Grounding is no longer possible.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jan 5 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
If a mage isn't making him/herself a target then what is the drawback to anchoring/quickening a bunch of spells all the time?

Getting all those precious spells and the karma in them nuked by a malicious spirit. You can hide a 10,000-nuyen ubyrgun under armor, but foci, anchored spells, and quickened spells are dangling nude in the astral breeze.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 5 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

I would argue that the ubergun would be as visible under the coat as a lightly masked anchor or quickened spell in the astral. And what benefit does a random spirit gain by blasting an anchored/quickened spell, about as much benefit as a second runner does in trying to grab the gun. The only active danger is in combat I would think.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 5 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #24

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

The only active danger is in combat I would think.

Becasue enemies never plan ahead, eh? ;)

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jan 5 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Hey, if someone is actively screwing with you and trailing you on the astral, then fine. When I am on a run I tend to act a bit paranoid and check things like that out all the time. Also, if soemone knows I am coming and send a spirit or mage to screw with me before I get there, so be it. I can back off and replan with the new information. Not having a spell erupt around me in a van on the highway is a good thing, and I can do the same thing back to my opponent.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.