Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Racial priorities, Wow!
James McMurray
post Jan 16 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,957

Is it just me or are the priority levels for creating characters off on the races. Trolls and dwarves are two of the best race (trolls for combat brutes and dwarves for just about everything). But these races have priority levels lower than or equal to elves (a racce that's nice for conjurers and faces, but not much else). Am I missing something? Some erratta, rule that will hurt them, etc.?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jan 16 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Right after I hit post I remembered the karma pool ratios. But is that enough to balance such beefy stats for the metahumans? It won't even be a really noticabl factor until several runs down the line.

+Quote Post
Walknuki
post Jan 16 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,869

Trolls and Dwarves also need special made equipment (weapons, armor, and vehicles) that adds to the cost.

Dwarves have a *2 running multiplyer, meaning their faster co-runners are always waiting for them to catch up.

Trolls don't fit in most places. Airplanes, resteraunt booths, taxis are all squeezes for them, not to mention it's harder to sneak around when you're 8'5 feet tall.

Also being the rarest of the meta races they're more easily identifiable. Get even partially caught on a camera and there aren't 5000 people in the city that look like you. There are 5.

*edit*

Also, on elves, they're good for more then "Faces and Conjurers". They have a quickness bonus which is good for just about all fire arms.

Also they're not universally despised like the orks or the trolls. As such they could walk into a fancy resteraunt or library without getting a whole load of stares and someone with their finger on the panic button. That's good for someone who wants to meet the Johnson in a typical face style or who wants to blow the place up.

They also don't have any negative modifiers, thus they're more versitile. You don't find elves funneled into combat roles. They can be casters or deckers or riggers or sammies or faces or stealth ninjas or blow the drek out of stuffers.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

The cost to be and elf is an old bone of contention with our group. As much as we bitch about it, we must not not think it's that messed up or someone would have proposed a house rule. Everyone once in a while we talk about swapping the cost for elves and dwarves, but haven't done so thus far.

+Quote Post
cbettles
post Jan 16 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,302

I happen to think that elves are pricey (using the priority system) compared to every other race unless you're making a conjurer, planning on spending lots of time in the astral, or your GM makes you do a etiquete check everytime you talk to a cab driver.

That said, everybody like elves, because well, they're elves. I tend to end up with a shadowrunning group with three elves, a troll (street samurai), and a dwarf. Which makes no sense unless I'm running a game in the Tir.

Of course, its worse when I'm running a D&D game. I don't know why it is, but people just like elves. The hardest thing is to get someone to play a human. Even with the karma pool bonus, which is very nice, they always seem to be under represented in a Shadowrun game.

Anyone else have the same problem, or am I just hanging around a bunch of dandelion munchers? :P

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 16 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

The only reason elves cost more than dwarves is the 'coolness factor'. Dwarves are definitely under-priced.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Jan 16 2005, 11:50 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

For use outside of their primary role most of the races are overpriced. Unless you are pumping stats above the human racial max, you'd be better off from a strictly mechanical point of view by playing a human.

The opportunity cost of an elf that isn't whoring quickness or charisma is 9 build points. A human with 6 more build points in attributes (for +1 QUI and +2 CHA), bad karma, and night vision costs 1. If you want to compare a quickness 7 human to an elf who has charisma of 6 or below and a quickness of exactly 7, the elf's opportunity cost is 5 (you have to add in bonus attribute and exceptional attribute for the human).

That all goes out the window if you want to go nuts with quickness or charisma for a gun bunny, face, or similar QUI or CHA based character. In that case the elf can do something that no human can, and the cost may just be worth it.

+Quote Post
noneuklid
post Jan 17 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,925

Don't forget the -1 Signature for trolls. And that dwarf running thing really hurts in most runs- ever wonder why so many dwarves are riggers?

+Quote Post
cbettles
post Jan 17 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #9

Target

I agree with the statement above if you're using the building point system. If you're using the priority system then the opportunity cost for an ork or dwarf, who is not magically active, is much less. For example:

Resources: A
Attributes: B
Skills: C
Race: D

If you're making a street sam, rigger, or decker you basically get a free priority spot to place on race (D). Both the dwarf and the ork offer some nice physical attribute bonuses for the street sam. and the dwarf bonus to willpower comes in handy for the rigger and the decker.

If you're power gaming, you'd be crazy not to make a dwarf or ork street sam. Sure, the human street sam's karma pool will grow a lot faster, but you'll have to survive quite a few runs to make it worthwhile.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Not "quite a few runs". Even if you're only gaining four karma a run, that's three runs before you're getting significant advantages over your shorter or more dentally advantaged brethren.

~J

+Quote Post
cbettles
post Jan 17 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #11

Target

I figure that it would take a difference of 2 or 3 extra karma pool to make up for the five extra physical attributes, assuming you are an ork street sam, you would be forgoing. At 4 karma a run, that would be at least seven runs (since an ork would get an extra karma pool at 20).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

For a streetsam, I agree. For a Rigger or pure Decker, I contend that due to the karma pool human still wins most comparisons (physical stats negligable).

~J

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jan 17 2005, 01:59 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Even if you consider physical stats negligible, the dwarf is still a good choice for most non-combat types. That +1 willpower is more drain resistance, dumpshock resistance, and countless other things that target willpower. Heck, a rigger has to resist damage with willpower (IIRC) every time a drone he's riding takes a serious wound.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 02:10 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

One point of Willpower is negligable in my experience; Rigger dumpshock is Powerful enough that it's not terribly resistible, and Control Pool with the vehicle dodge rules cut down on the number of times it will occur. As compared to that, the opportunity to reroll any single test other than a botch (which everyone can do) and still be able to do it again (which only Humans without Bad Karma will be able to do) is much more powerful.

And hey, don't like karma pool? Bad Karma flaw. Now you're back at the same karma level, you spend two points on Bonus Attribute Point: Willpower, and you've got three more points to spend on a free edge like Connected. Sounds like a better deal than some unimportant physical stats, one point of Willpower, and a nontrivial additional expense to most gear plus a downright awful running multiplier.

~J

+Quote Post
cbettles
post Jan 17 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #15

Target

I agree that the physical stats are not the most important things for a decker or a rigger, but I think of plenty of times when a couple of extra points in body have come in handy.

Thanks for the comments! 8)

+Quote Post
Ed Simons
post Jan 17 2005, 04:20 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE (Fortune)
The only reason elves cost more than dwarves is the 'coolness factor'. Dwarves are definitely under-priced.

Based on my experience as both player and GM, it's the elves that are underpriced. I counted up all the PCs from all the games, and found that the most popular was elves, who were just over 1/3 of PCs. Second place was humans at about another third. The final third was everything else put together, with ork coming in a distant third overall.

And sure, there's the coolness factor, but elves are the only metahumans to get all bonuses.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 04:47 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Um, no. Dwarves get all bonuses, and get an additional +1 (for a total of 4) compared to elves.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 17 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Ed Simons)
QUOTE (Fortune)

Based on my experience as both player and GM, it's the elves that are underpriced. I counted up all the PCs from all the games, and found that the most popular was elves, who were just over 1/3 of PCs. Second place was humans at about another third. The final third was everything else put together, with ork coming in a distant third overall.

And sure, there's the coolness factor, but elves are the only metahumans to get all bonuses.

People like elves b/c they're elves. :)

It's true that they only get bonuses but they also get the fewest bonuses.

Most min/maxers would take the Ork mods over the Elf's and since social penalties are hit or miss when it comes to enforcement (depending on the GM) there's no IC reason not to take advantage of those mods.

For the record, I've only played humans and elves. Mostly humans.

Out of curiosity, what was the size of your subject pool?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 05:12 AM
Post #19

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

This has been debated back and forth since I've been a newb here at the Forums. Elves are been proven to be the most overcosted methumans.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 17 2005, 05:15 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

Heh. Am I the only guy who just can't seem to get metahumans in his games? My players just gravitate towards humans. A few trolls, a few dwarves, a few orks, and fewer elves.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Jan 17 2005, 05:46 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (Ed Simons)
I counted up all the PCs from all the games, and found that the most popular was elves, who were just over 1/3 of PCs. Second place was humans at about another third. The final third was everything else put together, with ork coming in a distant third overall.

I don't think a single gaming group is a big enough sample to really judge how common the race choices are. In my gaming group, for example, humans and orks are the most common, elves are somewhat uncommon, and trolls and dwarves are downright rare.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Jan 17 2005, 05:51 AM
Post #22

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

I don't like elves.

Dwarves and Orks rock the house though.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jan 17 2005, 06:13 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I got tired of elves back when I was, like, in Middle School. So now I actually favor humans.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jan 17 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (toturi)
This has been debated back and forth since I've been a newb here at the Forums. Elves are been proven to be the most overcosted methumans.

Purely point-wise, yeah. But like E S Riddle said, sometimes you want an elf because those specific bonuses let you do things a normal human can't do, which is worth losing a few build points over.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 06:44 AM
Post #25

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Yes, but sometimes you want a dwarf because those specific bonuses let you do things a normal human can't do and you don't have to lose a few build points.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.