IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regen, Is it balanced as a physad power?
Kyuhan
post Jan 17 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,628

I found this power on the net, (Here's the link);

Regeneration (5, 7 or 9)
This power functions exactly as detailed in the official material. The first level is the lesser version described for Shapeshifters in their human form in the Shadowrun Companion. The second level is that described for shapeshifters in their animal form in the Shadowrun Companion (shapeshifters can update their human form'' healing capability to this level for a cost of 1.5). The third level is the version found in SR2. Shapeshifters may update their healing abilities for two points, which moves the healing powers of both shapes up one level (the human form healing at the animal rate, the animal form healing at the SR2 rate).. Common geasa include certain types of damage that can't be regenerated (fire or silver being common), or particularly vulnerable places the don't heal well (such as the Achilles tendon or the neck).

Anyhoo, does anyone think this power lacks balance in effectiveness or cost?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jan 17 2005, 03:49 AM
Post #2

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Well, since I don't have SR2 I can honestly say that I have no idea what the different power levels mean.

As an adept power, regeneration is necessarilary unbalanced. A character with regeneration is, for all intents and purposes, immortal. There is, at best, a 1/3 change that you could possible inflict a deadly wound on someone with regeneration.

+Quote Post
cbettles
post Jan 17 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,302

I would be really careful with that power and only allow it in your game if the player is a very good roleplayer and the other characters in the group are high powered. I played in a game with a fox shapeshifter mage. Luckily, the player wasn't interested in power gaming and spent most of her time being generally annoying.

But that character was very cheesy and overpowered. Encounters that would pose a challenge to her would easily gack the rest of the party. At the worst, the GM could always add silver to the encounter to make it more deadly, but this adept power doesn't even have that safeguard.

In other words, I wouldn't let a character start with the power. If the character does buy it in game, it is a bit more balanced. Five power points takes a lot of saved karma, even with a geasa.

I hope that helps. :P

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 17 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

something like this is "balanced" the same way a three-hundred pound kid on either side of a see-saw is "balanced". sure, there's equal weight on both sides, but something's gonna break if you try it.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Jan 17 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

Aye. There's no need for something that beefy, unless you have your group doing runs against Marvel Juggernaut style opponents.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 05:42 AM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I'm not sure the difference between the human-form and animal-form regeneration, but if I were to even consider it I'd make it cost at least eight power points for SR3-style regen.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 06:15 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'd consider making it 6 Points, so that taking it at chargen would mean it is the Adept's only magic ability.

And I'd bitch slap the player who inevitably suggests the 'only when injured' Geas.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 06:21 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

My thinking with the eight power points was somewhat like the Move-By-Wire IV idea, such that it only fit within six power points if geased (and would still be the only magical ability).

~J

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jan 17 2005, 06:27 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Crazy internet physad powers.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 06:29 AM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Fortune)
I'd consider making it 6 Points, so that taking it at chargen would mean it is the Adept's only magic ability.

And I'd bitch slap the player who inevitably suggests the 'only when injured' Geas.

Who will promptly bitch slap you back.

When injured qualifies as a time geas and the Canon guideline for a time geas is "50% of the time". Therefore unless he is injured for more than 50% of his life, it is allowable.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 06:36 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Whatever.

'Only when injured' is quite fine for things like the Improved Ability Power, or the like. The Regeneration Power though, just like Rapid Healing, wouldn't work, nor would it even be needed, if the character was uninjured. Therefore it is a Cheese Geas™, as far as Powers like this are concerned.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
Post #12

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 17 2005, 02:15 PM)

When injured qualifies as a time geas and the Canon guideline for a time geas is "50% of the time". Therefore unless he is injured for more than 50% of his life, it is allowable.

Considering that the power is completely sless for the uninjured, it isn't really a limitation. Its like having having killing hands geased to "only when in melee combat".

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

By the same token, "the building next to you falls on you. Each individual piece deals 384D. There are forty pieces. Roll to see if you fail to regenerate" is also allowable.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
By the same token, "the building next to you falls on you. Each individual piece deals 384D. There are forty pieces. Roll to see if you fail to regenerate" is also allowable.

~J

How did you calculate that each individual piece deals 384D? How do you know that there are 40 pieces? Are those Canon?

Considering that the power is completely sless for the uninjured, it isn't really a limitation. Its like having having killing hands geased to "only when in melee combat".

Yes, but that is again perfectly Canon. Because unless he is fighting in melee for more than 12 hours each day, it counts as a limitation.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 06:46 AM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

The only 'canon' Geasa are the ones listed in the books. All the rest are subject to GM discretion, with only suggested guidelines given.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 06:50 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Those are suggested Canon guidelines and other guidelines that the GM impose would make those geas non-Canon.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Even given that the Geas is canon, it would not be a 'Time Geas'. It would be a 'Condition Geas', just as canon says that the 'Only When Uninjured' Geas is.

+Quote Post
Club
post Jan 17 2005, 06:57 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 17 2005, 02:15 PM)

I would read that as '50% of the time when the power is active or useful'

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 17 2005, 07:00 AM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (toturi)
How did you calculate that each individual piece deals 384D? How do you know that there are 40 pieces? Are those Canon?

They are traveling at 3840 meters per turn, so I'd say that yes, it is canon.

~J

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #20

Canon Companion

True, my mistake. It could be a "condition geas" but as it is also a "non-canon geas" following your defination, it is not necessarily a "condition geas". However, the guideline remains for the geas is that the condition should break the geas half the time.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 07:04 AM
Post #21

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 17 2005, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 17 2005, 01:40 AM)

They are traveling at 3840 meters per turn, so I'd say that yes, it is canon.

~J

Nope, pieces of buildings are non-canon weapons. They are not listed in the CC or any other sourcebook that I know.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Actually, canon states ...

(Mits. page 32) If the Geas is a condition that must (or must not) exist in order to do magic - the presence of or absence of sunlight, moonlight, a season, a physical state and so on - the condition must be consistent with the type of magic performed.

Since the magic could not be performed if the Adept were not injured anyway, 'Only when injured' would not qualify for Regeneration even under the canon guidelines.

*Emphasis mine.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Jan 17 2005, 07:21 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

QUOTE (Fortune)
Therefore it is a Cheese Geas™, as far as Powers like this are concerned.

Indeed. No matter what the player argued on this one, I wouldn't allow that one to fly in my game. :please:

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 17 2005, 07:21 AM
Post #24

Canon Companion

Why is being injured inconsistant with performing Regeneration?

Using Canon examples: Why is singing consistant with casting a spell? How is fasting related to conjuring?

Such conditions should generally break the geas about half the time.

Is he injured 50% of the time? No, he is not. Therefore the geas is broken. In fact, the power works against the geas, because it keeps breaking the geas.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 17 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

It isn't. Being uninjured is.

Even taking your guidelines of Geasa having to have an effect on the character's magic 50% of the time, any time that the character spends uninjured should not count, as the Regeneration Power is unusable in any form when the character is uninjured. The only time Regeneration can be of use is when the character is actually injured. Any such Geas should be a limitation, not a repetition of a condition that must already exist for the magic to work.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.