Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Melee Combat and Guns
lopus
post Jan 25 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,002

I've a rather silly question ... I think.

In all the years I've been playing shadowrun (on and off since 1st Ed back in the really late 80s) I've never been in a situation like the one I've encountered recently.

One of my players decided to insanely charge a bunch (4) of heavily armed (AK-98s) gangers. Rather than shoot them he runs for them and starts a melee. Where the heck are the rules about shooting while in melee in SR3???

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 25 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the gangers each take +2 to their firing TNs. that's pretty much it.

+Quote Post
lopus
post Jan 25 2005, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Target

Lemme see if I get this straight.

4 gangbangers w/ AK-98s (regular ammo, Assault Rifle Skill 4/AK-98 6) in Armored Jackets (Ballistic 5 / Impact 3)
vs.
1 Troll cyber-monster w/ Claymore (BOD 15(16) due to Dermal Plating 3 and Titanium Bone Lacing; Pole Arms 6/Claymore 7) in Armored Jacket and Half-Body Form Fit suit (Ballistic 9 / Impact 5)

Assume gangbangers win initiative and each fires off two 3-round bursts (TN 6 and 9 respectively) each dealing 11S damage which the armor of the troll reduces to 2S damage (assuming half the bursts hit) which his 16 BOD dice will pretty much mean squat damage taken.
Troll rushes in, attacks the gangers (+2 per opponent right?) at a TN of 12 less his reach of 3 (Troll 1 + Claymore 2) and his Aptitude in Pole Arms reducing his TN to 8 dealing damage roughly of 16D (thanks to Muscle Augmentation 4 and Dikote on his claymore) - except the players argued that the troll shouldn't be taking the +2 per opponent penalty since none of the gangers are technically set up for melee combat.

Technically the troll will wipe the floor with the gangers.

Ehr ... is it just me or is something wrong with this picture?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 25 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Within 14-20 feet a knife will almost always will against a gun (at least if you do the rushing stabbing madly approach). This used to be a srious problem for cops, as anyone that close who had a knife could probably kill you before you could shoot them. With the new vests, your survival odds are much better...

Where a bunch of gangers learns to shoot like that (4/6) I have no idea...
The best I'd expect them to have would be 1/3 or 2 in gun skills. It takes actual training to get much better than that, and gang members tend not to have the means a discipline...

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Jan 25 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 948

Well, just so that the Troll player doesn't start thinking that gangs are simple cannon fodder let's add the following modifiers to the pot.

Home ground: All gangers have a -1TN on all actions, this troll IS attacking them in their turf after all.

Friends in Melee: Well, IF the troll manages to attack ALL of them at once then there should be an additional -3 to their TN to hit in close combat (if they harm in is another matter)

Aiming: Aim+BF should become a -1 TN for hitting him.

Called shot: Why BF when you CAN aim for an unarmoured spot (no matter what the rules say, IF a ganger shoot the troll in the EYE there is no armoured jacket to save him...

Friends: 4 gangers, that's no gang, you just forgot about those fifteen other pals tooting everything from light pistols, knives, heavy pistols and perhaps even someone awakened.

Besides, I do think that the example with monster troll is a bit excessive. I have played SR for quite some time and it is very rare that one of our player characters ever have a body above 10. Pitching a power campaign combat troll against a few gangers is just about silly.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 25 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Runner

Calling such a situation 'silly' in a realistic world is not quite accuurate, 'as expected' is much more appropriate. You can run over the gangers in a tank too, it is hardly 'silly' that the gang members can't do much more than run away.

My wallhacker there who is in the top .00001% or so of close combat killing machines on the planet should be able to run in and chop 4 people to bits...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 25 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

so the question is, is there something wrong with a purpose-built damage soaking machine being able to soak lots and lots of damage? i'm gonna have to go with "no", bob.

+Quote Post
lopus
post Jan 25 2005, 05:08 PM
Post #8

Target

The troll is being played by a 1st-timer, using the SR3 Companion rules with 130 build points (just so that she doesn't feel so left behind by the other players who have been playing for about a year now). She can't talk too well and is slooooooow to boot, but boy can she take it and dish it out ... hand to hand combat that is.

Most of the other PCs are more reasonable (except maybe the mage that refuses to even use combat spells, relying on his dart pistol and enhanced aim spell force 6 that is quickened) with a variety of SMGs and Heavy Pistols.

They were fighting the other gangers when the 4 "leader" types came out to support their group. The troll player just surprised us all by charging forward (yes she was shot many times but nothing actually damaged her).

She attacked them one at a time, pretty much daring them to hurt her.

BTW, should I have NOT applied the +2 penalty for each ganger on the troll?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 25 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Runner

Hmm, for the first attack, maybe not as it dosen't sound like the gangers were expecting it either. For the following rounds, I guess it would depend on what the actions of the gangers were...

Let's say the following was what the three remaining gangers decided to do:

1: I'll try to butt stroke him with my rifle. (This one is entering 'normal' close combat)

2: I'll try to shoot him (at very close range) (This one is also 'in close combat')

3: I'll backup (leave close combat) and then try to shoot him. (This one is 'leaving' the combat to try to avoid the +2 penatly of using guns in combat)

This would mean the the troll is fighting 2 guys, with whatever modifier that means...

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 25 2005, 05:27 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (The Jopp)
Called shot: Why BF when you CAN aim for an unarmoured spot (no matter what the rules say, IF a ganger shoot the troll in the EYE there is no armoured jacket to save him...

True enough, if you ignore the rules which do not allow you to call a shot to an opponents eye nor to ignore his/her personal armor with a gunshot, then it doesn't really matter what the rules say about armor protection in general.

Back to the original situation: like Crusher Bob said, 4/6 for a firearm-related skill for an average ganger is way too high, unless this is some "elite" gang. Even if they handle the weapons constantly, unless they've trained extensively with them or use them in action all the time, I wouldn't give them higher than maybe 2/4.

Still, you can do some great things with 2/4. AK-97 + GV-2 + Laser Sight + Shock Pads + 2 mags of EX-Ex = ~3,000 :nuyen: Attacking the rushing troll with 8 dice against TN 4 and a Damage Code of 13S = priceless.

You've miscalculated the troll's armor, too. The armor rating of the Form Fitting suit is still halved, even though there's no QUI or Combat Pool penalties for it. A half-suit would only provide 1 point of Ballistic and no Impact in that set-up. He'd have Ballistic 7 (AJ 5, FF 1, TBL 1)/Impact 4 (AJ 3, TBL 1). Also note that the purpose of BOD rating in parentheses is to show the rating as augmented by magic/cyberware/etc, so I assume it should be written as BOD 10 (16) -- +1 from being a troll, +3 from Dermal Plating-3, +2 from Titanium Bone Lacing).

Now, those 3 attacks of 13S with an average of 4 successes behind them each are starting to look a bit worse. He'll need 10 successes per burst to stage them down to nothing with a TN of 6 for the Damage Resistance Test, and his Dodge TN is 5.

The morale of the story? Get Recoil Comp and make sure you know the rules better than any powergaming players.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jan 25 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #11

Runner

Isn't combat pool adding limited by base skill and not the specialization? (Or was that adept added dice, can't remember?)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 25 2005, 05:45 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

QUOTE (lopus)
BTW, should I have NOT applied the +2 penalty for each ganger on the troll?

When the troll rushes into the melee, is he attacking several of the gangers at the same time? If so, he takes a cumulative +2 penalty on every attack after the first (as per sr3.122-123), regardless of whether those opponents are effectively fighting back. If the gangers aren't effectively fighting back, though, you might not want to apply the Opponent Has Friends In Melee (+1/Friend) penalty. That's very debatable, though -- if he's attacking all 4 gangers at the same time, they're certainly all fighting back at the same time.

The troll is running in the Combat Turn in which he attacks the gangers, correct? He's then taking an additional +4 to the TN (+6 if on difficult ground, as per sr3.108).

Do the gangers have the Clubs skill? If so, they get to use their Rifle Butts as an improvised weapon with that, for a Reach of 1. I assume you are well aware of the fact that the SR Companion 'strongly' recommends the GM to consider carefully before allowing any character to have Aptitude in a Combat, Magical or Computer skill.

So, back to the TNs: If my assumptions are correct (troll was running, gangers have Clubs skill, and you do not give either the Friends In Melee bonuses/penalties:
Troll vs. Ganger #1: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) = TN 5
Ganger #1 vs. Troll: 4
Troll vs. G2: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) + 2 (second target) = TN 7
G2 vs. Troll: 4
Troll vs. G3: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) + 4 (third target) = TN 9
G3 vs. Troll: 4
Troll vs. G4: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) + 6 (4th target) = TN 11
G4 vs. Troll: 4

If you interprete it so that Friends In Melee counts, you get the following TNs (Troll vs Ganger, 1 through 4)
8 vs 2
10 vs 2
12 vs 2
14 vs 2
Unless of course some gangers die along the line, in which case the following TNs for the Troll drop by 1 per dead ganger starting from the first and rise by 1 for the gangers after 2 have died.

QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Isn't combat pool adding limited by base skill and not the specialization? (Or was that adept added dice, can't remember?)

It's definitely the specialization if that is used for the test itself -- the wording is that it's up to the rating of the skill used for the test. The adept power Improved Ability is indeed limited by the base skill.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Jan 25 2005, 05:48 PM

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Jan 25 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

Friends in melee would definitely count in this case, and AE is right on with the TN's if the gangers have clubs skill. The troll is in a world of hurt because only 5 out of every 36 of her rolls will be a success, but the ganger she's facing is going to have 5 out of every 6. That means that if the ganger is rolling 2 dice on clubs and 2 combat pool, the troll had better be rolling 24 dice if she wants an even chance of success. 16D doesn't matter unless she can manage to connect with one of them.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 25 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Aaaah, +4 tn for running isn't on the table for melee modifiers, it's only on the table for ranged attack modifiers, which this isn't. Melee apparently has no movement modifiers at all unless I'm looking at it wrong.

+Quote Post
waftalia
post Jan 26 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,866

The troll is being played by a 1st-timer, using the SR3 Companion rules with 130 build points (just so that she doesn't feel so left behind by the other players who have been playing for about a year now). She can't talk too well and is slooooooow to boot, but boy can she take it and dish it out ... hand to hand combat that is.

isnt this the point of a troll killing machine?

also a body above 10 for a troll isnt anywhere near unreasonable.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Jan 26 2005, 01:31 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

wow those are some ELITE gangers you have there. Remind me never to stray into the territory of THE DELTA FORCE COMMANDO CRACK RIFLE SQUAD gang.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 26 2005, 01:42 AM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Eh? You mean the guns or the armor? He did say these were the leaders, but AKs and armor jackets for a rumble is elite?

[edit] I guess, for myself, I still think back to this image from the cover of my first SR purchase, the DMZ, when I think of gangs...

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jan 26 2005, 02:11 AM
Post #18

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jan 25 2005, 03:16 PM)
Aaaah, +4 tn for running isn't on the table for melee modifiers, it's only on the table for ranged attack modifiers, which this isn't. Melee apparently has no movement modifiers at all unless I'm looking at it wrong.

There are lots of penalties that aren't on the Melee modifier table. For example, sustaining a spell, or suffering the +2 from prior shock weapons. The penalty in melee for sustaining a spell is described in the section on sustaining spells. The penalty in melee for electrical shock is described in the section on shock weapons.

The penalty in melee for movement is described in the section on movement.

In the section on Astral Combat it describes that astral movement does not affect target numbers for astral melee. It wouldn't need to describe this exception if there wasn't a TN penalty for movement in regular melee.

Whether these rules reflect real-life is a different discussion. Whether people should house-rule a TN benefit for charging into melee is a different discussion. I'm just presenting canon rules.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 26 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

i dunno. the fact that movement modifiers are included in the ranged combat table, but not the melee table, tends to imply that the designers didn't intend for them to be applied to melee combat. i'm aware that a strictly legal reading of the rules doesn't support this--but a strictly legal reading of the rules supports applying movement modifiers twice in ranged combat (once for the movement-mods-apply-to-everything rule, and again for the additional modifiers presented in the ranged combat table). for that reason, i'm going to say that the strictly legal reading is the incorrect reading.

note that this isn't the only case where the strictly legal reading provides the wrong rule. for instance, the wording for magician adept initiation is terribly misleading, as are the rules for centering multiple times per init pass.

+Quote Post
ES_Riddle
post Jan 26 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,736

QUOTE (OurTeam)
Whether these rules reflect real-life is a different discussion. Whether people should house-rule a TN benefit for charging into melee is a different discussion. I'm just presenting canon rules.

Doesn't charging into melee give you a bonus in the form of +2 to the power level of your attack? I believe that is the rule given in CC, at least.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jan 26 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Are the chargers on horse back?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 26 2005, 05:18 AM
Post #22

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The troll is running in the Combat Turn in which he attacks the gangers, correct? He's then taking an additional +4 to the TN (+6 if on difficult ground, as per sr3.108).

Right, but the troll is running, giving the gangers a +2 TN because hes moving.

Do the gangers have the Clubs skill? If so, they get to use their Rifle Butts as an improvised weapon with that, for a Reach of 1. I assume you are well aware of the fact that the SR Companion 'strongly' recommends the GM to consider carefully before allowing any character to have Aptitude in a Combat, Magical or Computer skill.

Sure, so the troll still has effective 2 reach on them.

So, back to the TNs: If my assumptions are correct (troll was running, gangers have Clubs skill, and you do not give either the Friends In Melee bonuses/penalties:
Troll vs. Ganger #1: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) = TN 5
Ganger #1 vs. Troll: 4
Troll vs. G2: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) + 2 (second target) = TN 7
G2 vs. Troll: 4
Troll vs. G3: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) + 4 (third target) = TN 9
G3 vs. Troll: 4
Troll vs. G4: 4 + 4 (running) - 2 (net reach 2) - 1 (aptitude) + 6 (4th target) = TN 11
G4 vs. Troll: 4

Well, now, with mine its:
Troll vs. Ganger #1: 4 + 4 (running) - 1 aptitude = TN 7
Ganger vs Troll: 4 + 2 (Troll running) +2 inferior reach = TN 8
Troll vs G2: 4 + 4 (running) -1 aptitutde +2 (second target) -2 reach= TN7
G2 vs Troll: 4 + 2 (Troll running) = TN 6
Troll vs G3: 4 + 4 (running) - 1 aptitude +4 third target = TN11
G3 vs Troll: 4 + 2 (Troll running) + 2 inferior reach = TN 8
Troll vs G4: 4 + 4 (running) -1 aptitude =6 (Fourth target) -2 Reach = TN 11
G4 vs Troll: 4 + 2 (Troll running) = TN6

If you interprete it so that Friends In Melee counts, you get the following TNs (Troll vs Ganger, 1 through 4)
8 vs 2
10 vs 2
12 vs 2
14 vs 2
Unless of course some gangers die along the line, in which case the following TNs for the Troll drop by 1 per dead ganger starting from the first and rise by 1 for the gangers after 2 have died.

With mine you get:
10 vs 5
10 vs 3
14 vs 5
14 vs 3

Of course, if you give the Troll a combat with a whirling maneuver, they drop down to:
8 vs 8
8 vs 5
11 vs 8
11 vs 6

Or, give them one with multi-strike, the mild reduction in power won't hurt the troll, and will drop TNs to hit the gangers by:
G2 -1TN
G3 -3TN
G4 - 5TN. Making it quite painful.

Obviously if the troll does it right, he can still make it rather nasty for the gangers, especially if he only attacked 2 instead of all 4 at once.

Even better, on the last gangers, he could do a knockdown attack rather than normal melee, its not likely he'll get many successes, but if he beats them, they'll garunteeable get knocked prone for the next round, making them almost pathetic.

+Quote Post
lopus
post Jan 26 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #23

Target

Uhhm, she attacked the gang leader-types one at a time. Took her 5 full rounds to take them out. (She was very lucky in turn 4 and had 2 actions).

Solstice, I dunno about you, but pretty much all the info I've read stated how tough the Ancients are supposed to be. I just built the damned gangers on 100 build points except for the leader types at 130. How do you do it?

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Jan 26 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

Make the Gangers as tough as you think they should be. It's just a GAME. A real life ganger is taken pretty seriously by most folks if they have an AK in their hands. But player's, knowing the "rules", are less likely to be afraid of them. If as a GM, you want to make ganger's a threat, perhaps they may have mil training. Most of the Hell's Angels and other biker gangs in the 50's and 60's were made up of ex military types, albeit mostly Air Force. Maybe's someones been providing "training". Maybe they spend all of their free time playing First Person Shooters on pirated Matrix feeds. I could think of a million justifications why a ganger could be adept with a gun. But that being said, a Troll is HARD to take down when they have some armor... as it should be.
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jan 26 2005, 07:13 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Right, but the troll is running, giving the gangers a +2 TN because hes moving.

I took that into account with the gangers' TNs to hit the troll in my first post.

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Sure, so the troll still has effective 2 reach on them.

Yes, and as you can clearly see from my numbers I took that into account as well. You just used it to increase the TN of the gangers, I used it to decrease the TN of the troll.

As for the running penalty for melee combat, I'm with OurTeam. The modifier is already considered to modify some actions for which it isn't specifically mentioned for. I rather think it's specifically mentioned for ranged combat to make that table as complete as possible. Running on sr3.108 says you get the +4 to TN for "any tests attempted while running", and, as OurTeam said, it doesn't say melee combat is exempted from this.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.