IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concealment Spirit Power, Hiding in the bushes...
LinaInverse
post Jan 26 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,701

This came up in our last gaming session.

I don't have the book with me, but the general gist is this: The Nature Spirit power Concealment lets the spirit hide itself and others (ie, whoever the shaman designates) in its environment. The way it's worded seems to imply a degree of camoflage, as opposed to invisibility, but no details are provided. The only game-mechanic given is that it imposes a Perception test, with a tgt# equal to the spirit's Force (or added to a Per roll, if made under sub-optimal conditions). The power is listed as Physical, so we felt it must apply to cameras as well as living beings.

Does this apply to all forms of detection or just visual? If visual, does it apply to IR or LL vision systems?

Does this apply if the concealed parties move or only if they stand stock-still?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 26 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

all forms of physical perception, since it doesn't specify. that means that it doesn't apply to astral perception, but it does apply to sound, scent, IR, ultrasound, etcetera.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Jan 26 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I always imagined that this was similar to the effect that Indiana Jones experiences in the third booby trap puzzle in Last Crusade... the leap of faith walkway. Its technically right there in front of you and only a subtle shift in perception allows one to see the form for what it is.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 26 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

It applies even if they move so long as they remain in the domain. Isn't there a limit to the number effected (Force or something) or is that only for Great Spirits?

+Quote Post
Mumbles
post Jan 26 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,751

The rules say that the spirit can use its powers on more than one person simultaneuously.

Great Form Spirits can use any of their powers on a number of people simultaneously equal to their Force which is handy for the rest of the Nature Spirit powers that are normally only used on one target at a time.

I've played in groups where Concealment was house-ruled for normal Spirits. The maximum number of people concealed was equal to the Force of the spirit and Great Spirits could conceal up to their Force squared people.

If vehicles were being concealed, a Normal Spirit could conceal one Vehicle with a Body rating equal to its Force or smaller. A Great Form Spirit could conceal up to Force Vehicles, each with a maximum Body equal to the SPirits Force.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 26 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

The reason Great Forms are limited to a number equal to Force is that they have no restriction on range. The Great Form can have x number of people Concealed all over the planet wherever they go.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 27 2005, 01:55 AM
Post #7

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

So is there any way to hide astrally (other than aura masking or just plain stealth)?
I remember from the dragon heart trilogy (I know some of you hate it, jsut referencing) that the spirit Lethe COULD hide them astrally as well, I assume with concealment.
I ask because I have a PC in my game with a Ruthenium Polymer stealth suit (similar to the Tir Ghosts) that also has some thermal dampening. He's also a silent way adept, so he's damn near impossible to spot. until the NPC mage astrally perceives and goes "There!"

Any ideas?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 27 2005, 01:58 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

What's wrong with plane stealth?

The only options are Astral Static spells or Indirect Illusions that simply make people afraid to Astrally Perceive and such (mana warps, etc), by canon. Previous editions had extremely different rules about the astral plane.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 27 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

we use a custom metamagic called Camouflaging that basically allows you to roll your Magic score as if it were your Stealth skill. your actual Stealth skill can be used as a complimentary roll.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 27 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #10

Uncle Fisty

Only problem with astral static as camouflage is that it's kind of like using the storm power or fog spell to cover your entry. What guard in his right mind is gonna go "hmmm... fog from nowhere. Oh well, no reason to raise the alarm there." It's just the magical equivalent. He doesn't know WHAT's there, but it's a good guess there's SOMETHING there.
I do like the Metamagic though. That makes sense. I don't like that there's no way to hide from astral sight other than the good ol' hide-behind-the-bush. Being that if you try to hide with a spell, they just see a spell. I think I'll adopt that metamagic. Anything specific on it, or just magic attribute for stealth skill against astral sight?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jan 27 2005, 02:53 AM
Post #11

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

If you adopt that metamagic consider the ramifications. Mages there are no way to see PERIOD. Welcome to totally unbalancing, population you.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 27 2005, 02:54 AM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Small note, thermosense organs wouldn't get affected by it the same as they aren't affected by the improved invis spell.

+Quote Post
waftalia
post Jan 27 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,866

we always pictured the concealment power to act like the predators camoflage from the arnold movie.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jan 27 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Small note, thermosense organs wouldn't get affected by it the same as they aren't affected by the improved invis spell.

Against concealment? All physical manner of detection suffers, not just visual. You do not see, you do not hear, you do not do thermosense. The only physical sense (as opposed to astral perception/projection) that totally bypasses the need to make Perception checks is from those Detect spells.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 27 2005, 03:59 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

the balancing factor on that metamagic is that we use rules for rarer metamagics being more difficult to learn, and Camouflaging is pretty rare. also, taking overt magical action while you're Camouflaged has the same effect as taking overt physical action when you're hiding.

toturi is correct. concealment does not just hide from sight--it hides from all physical senses. thermosense is a physical sense, ergo concealment works against it. hell, theoretically, you could use high enough Concealment to ensure someone doesn't notice you punching them in the face. they'd feel the damage, but not the impact. (houserule i'd use: the TN to detect the actual punch is reduced by 2x the power of the attack, so it'd have to be some really high concealment (or a really wussy character) to work.)

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Jan 27 2005, 07:02 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Mrr....Suddenly I get the feeling that my group is going to walk around 24/7 with a Force 9 spirit concealing them whereever they go.

The only way I can think of to negate that advantage is to have more magical threats - which doesn't make too much sense in that it's supposed to only be a fraction of the population to be magically active...and I really don't want to go there.

So how does a GM balance this sort of thing? Frankly, it's stupid to restrict it - and now that I see that I was doing it wrong I am worried that it will make missions all the more harder to plan so that things aren't walk overs.

Any suggestions? (Lina, you can chime in too if you wish, although I have a feeling you probably won't. :) )

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Jan 27 2005, 08:07 AM
Post #17

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Both Critters and the BBB say the same thing as far as Concealment:
The Concealment power refers to a being’s ability to hide within its own terrain and is often associated with nature spirits. A being can use the Concealment power to hide itself or others from danger, or, alternatively, can use the power to hide something being sought. For any Perception Tests made to locate the concealed target, add the being’s Essence to the target number for the test. Concealment can be used on more than one target simultaneously; concealed targets can see each other.

Paranormal Animals of Europe says the following, however:
The Concealment power allows a creature to hide within its terrain rather than becoming invisible.  A creature may use concealment to hide itself, its summoner (in the case of a nature spirit), and any companions from danger.  It may also hide objects from curious searchers.  Unlike invisibility, concealment allows fellow beings protected by the power to detect each other normally (for example, a concealed summoner can see the spirit protecting him).  For beings attempting to see the concealed creature(s) or object(s), add the creature's Essence Rating to the target number for any Perception Tests the gamemaster allows.  Thus, if the gamemaster determines that the Perception Test to perceive the hiding creature has a target number of 5, use of the concealment power increases the target number to (5 + [creature's Essence]).

The two examples essentially say the same thing. However, the Paranormal Animals of Europe makes the distinction that it is definitely NOT invisibility. One can take this to mean that the Concealment power really is more like finding a good hiding place than the "Predator" cloak/ruthenium polymer effect.

While my gaming group has been playing Concealment as a sort of "uber invisibility spell", I think as written, it can only apply while stationary or moving at a slow rate within cover. Something to bring up at the next game, I guess.

The BBB does have a reference somewhere when talking about Sustained Critter powers that Concealment can hide a "vanload of runners", but it did not say whether or not the vanload of runners was stationary or moving.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Jan 27 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

QUOTE (DocMortand)
Mrr....Suddenly I get the feeling that my group is going to walk around 24/7 with a Force 9 spirit concealing them whereever they go.

The only way I can think of to negate that advantage is to have more magical threats - which doesn't make too much sense in that it's supposed to only be a fraction of the population to be magically active...and I really don't want to go there.

So how does a GM balance this sort of thing?  Frankly, it's stupid to restrict it - and now that I see that I was doing it wrong I am worried that it will make missions all the more harder to plan so that things aren't walk overs.

Any suggestions?  (Lina, you can chime in too if you wish, although I have a feeling you probably won't. :) )

The way you roll Doc, I wouldn't worry about it. Your important NPCs always roll double-digits when they have to. Though then again, if you're using that new Shadowrun screen, they may have problems, given how they define how successful 1 success measures out to...:D

Some obvious ones; no one can conjure a Force 9 w/o substantial drain risk (usually, I spend a couple Karma getting it down as much as I do and even then, I still take a hit). Two, even if the party is hard to see, if the enemies know there's something there by peripheral evidence (opening doors, broken glass, etc), then grenades and suppressive fire are your friends in that you don't need to worry about precise targetting.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Jan 27 2005, 03:17 PM
Post #19

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (LinaInverse)
then grenades and suppressive fire are your friends in that you don't need to worry about precise targetting.

A quote from our group: "Grenades don't care about the Blind Fire modifier." *grin*

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Jan 27 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #20

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
So is there any way to hide astrally (other than aura masking or just plain stealth)?
I remember from the dragon heart trilogy (I know some of you hate it, jsut referencing) that the spirit Lethe COULD hide them astrally as well, I assume with concealment.
I ask because I have a PC in my game with a Ruthenium Polymer stealth suit (similar to the Tir Ghosts) that also has some thermal dampening. He's also a silent way adept, so he's damn near impossible to spot. until the NPC mage astrally perceives and goes "There!"

Any ideas?

The rule of astral stealth is pretty simple: Hide in an area with lots of biomatter. A dense forest, a crowd of people, a school of fish, even a plain shubbery. There is no such thing as Astral Camouflage, but I'd argue that Stealth still would be a factor if you had sufficient living cover to hide behind.

One way to make the above metamagic balanced is to only allow the hiding character to conceal his/her aura if there is a large amount of living matter to hide around. You still wouldn't be able to hide in plain sight a la "the Predator" or use this ability when not near living things (although biofiber in corporate building walls is becoming increasingly common), but it wouldn't be as ridiculously powerful. You can also add the proviso that one has to have learned Masking and perhaps one other metamagic before he/she can learn this technique (just like Filtering has the Cleansing prereq).

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jan 27 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

I like the idea of requiring different metamagic requirements. Kind of like a weapon focus. It's 'balanced' by the karma cost. Personally, I don't think paying 40 or so karma balances against 4 extra dice in the long run. Especially if you make it your self and pay 9.
But anyways, I like requiring masking, that definitely seems the way to go. I don't know about filtering. That seems more of a connection to the spell matrix of ED. I was thinking more like requiring masking, and sensing from T:AL. Kind of feeling the ebb and flow of mana in the area, and synching with it. That way, the metamagic camo requires 3 grades of initiation, which is a pretty serious investment of karma (and passing up some other choice metamagic) in order to be able to 'hide' astrally.3 grades, is ,what, bare minimum 30 GK, with groups and ordeals at each.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Jan 27 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

We look at Concealment as a perception thing. You aren't being phycially hidden, just not percieved.

We once had a Troll PC who had trouble finding a house that had been concealed by a powerful spirit. He'd walk to the house on the right, look at the house number, walk to the house on the left, look at the house number, check the rest of the houses on the block, swear for a bit, and call in saying that there _was_ no such place. The house existed in a 'blind spot'.

The rest of the team was inside laughing their asses off, because they made their rolls.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Jan 27 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Personally, I don't think paying 40 or so karma balances against 4 extra dice in the long run. Especially if you make it your self and pay 9.

How is the Karma Cost of 9 possible? Remember, the benefits of orichalcum, radicals, and virgin materials for First Bonding only directly subtract Karma now, instead of lowering the Karma Cost multiplier. I suppose if you had only a Force 2 weapon focus (which would be 16 First Bonding cost) and really stacked on the orichalcum and radicals...

On another note, a Reach 2 Weapon Focus that was bought with 40 Karma would be Force 8 (it's Force times (3 + reach)). Yowza! If it was Reach 1, it would be Force 10!

+Quote Post
elbows
post Jan 27 2005, 04:41 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 6,807

I try to "explain" concealment with some mechanism that fits with the type of spirit and the situation. For example, a sea spirit might provide concealment by summoning a fog. A hearth spirit might cause lights to dim subtly, or maybe guards just don't look in a particular direction.

As far as the game effects/balance, concealment is really powerful when combined with stealth -- even a wimpy Force 4 spirit makes stealthy characters almost undetectable (barring astral security).
On the other hand, if they try to use it to walk around in plain sight, just start stacking on the TN mods. I'd say seeing someone in plain sight is TN 2 (since normally no roll is needed). If they open a door or make noise, that will draw more attention and bring it even lower, so they'll need a big spirit to go undetected.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jan 27 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Jan 27 2005, 10:54 AM)

Against concealment? All physical manner of detection suffers, not just visual. You do not see, you do not hear, you do not do thermosense. The only physical sense (as opposed to astral perception/projection) that totally bypasses the need to make Perception checks is from those Detect spells.

So, the next thing to do, is make a rocker who conjures up people to conceal him, so that way he can blast his music for practice and not get the star called on him all the time. Sound is a physical means of detection. Hrmmm, would it also remove the thumps from bass that vibrate matter? From anything around? That'd be mighty impressive.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.