IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need to re-upload utilities when changing hosts?, Utilities are runned onthe host or icon?
Lycan
post Jan 28 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,012

When you upload an (operational) utility to facilitate an operation does it run on the host or only in the cyberdeck? If you change hosts, it is needed to re-upload your utilities?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jan 28 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

If I understand what you are asking then NO you don't need to re-load programs from Storage to Active memory when changing to a new Host, since the program is running on your deck.

+Quote Post
Lycan
post Jan 28 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 7,012

No, this is not what I meant. See SR3, page 224. When you make the Swap Memory operation, the utility automaticaly runs in the deck´s active memory, but you still have to wait like half a second for the computer to upload it to your online icon (this is an ongoing operation).
So, my question is: when you change hosts, do you have to wait this upload time again ?

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Jan 28 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

No, the utilites you run are run on your deck. The swap memory delay time refers to the fact that a deck with a lower I/O speed may not be able to swap a 5626923Mp utility in one turn of uploading. The action and upload are finished permanetly when theyre done. It doesnt have to reload later on unless you again initiate that action.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jan 28 2005, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

No. Once you've got the Utility uploaded (from Storage to Active and ultimately your Icon per "Swap Memory" on SR3.219) it remains available until you delete it, or something takes it offline.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 28 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

In other words, the utilities stay with the icon when changing hosts.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jan 28 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

what everybody else said. the reason there's confusion here is, a deck's I/O speed dictates both it's internal transfer rate (ie, moving stuff around inside your own computer) and its external transfer rate (ie, moving stuff from your computer to another computer). this is silly and makes no sense; ergo, confusion.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jan 28 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Um, actually, technically, the utilities are uploaded to the 'Trix, just like your icon, but the transfer rate between hosts and the grid is "instant". There is a bandwidth limit on the deck itself, but once the data is uploaded, it take no time to move it around (notice Copy File works the same).

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jan 29 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

sr2(pre-vr2 i think) decks had a internal transfer rate as well as a i/o rate. with vr2, the internal rate where removed and only the i/o rate had anything to say. this basicly leads to utilitys that are purely on the deck (armor, shield, medic and so on) can be swapped in at the speed of a action 8)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.