IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Game Police, Is this their headquarters?
James McMurray
post Feb 11 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,957

Maybe I'm just reading too much into a few recent threads, but it seems to me like there are a lot of game police around here, ready to attack if you try to introduce something that doesn't fit their view of what Shadowrun Should Be.

I may not want unkillable devil rats in my game, but I'm amused at how many people have to reply to a thread to say they think they're rubbish. As if your opinion of what that person's game is like has any actual bearing. All that matters is if the players and GM are having fun.

I personally find canon SR's treatment of angels as very poorly done. Yes, you avoid the whole problem inherent in bringing religion into a game, but there are so many facets of a gaming world that can be explored when religion is introduced.

Yes, an angel is just the way a spirit manifests when called by a highly religious conjuror. But try telling that the Pope John 86th, Shaman of Christ. You'll find your game overrun by religion in a heartbeat.

Is it just me, or have few people around here heard the phrase "live and let live"?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

We're opinionated peoples. We voice said opinions.

Just because it's good for one person doesn't mean it's good for everyone else.

Also; if we didn't voice our opinions, the rule debates that go on here would end and the forum would just wither away.

When you join a place like this, you expect others to post their opinions. Especially on any houserules or homebrewed items you post.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 11 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Don't get me wrong, I'm well versed in the ways of opinionated forums and how every Tom, Dick, and Jane seems to think that something being an opinion gives it the right to be rude. I'm just musing on how often it seems to happen around here.

Note: This is not a personal attack on anyone. I would have to go hunting to find any screen names to tie rude comments to.

However, I would like to submit that if you (the general you, not tanka specifically) feel this is a personal attack, perhaps its because you know your responses to be ruder than they should be?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 11 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

YOU'RE WRONG!

JK

I know what you mean. The thing is, DS is basically a true democracy, wether or not you have anything to say, you can say it. That's part of the fun. And yes, there's people that just want to rant. It's gonna happen. Not defending it, honest. I think there should be things that you can't kill, I think that religion is so huge in RL, it would have to effect life in SR. The developers don't want to touch it, and for good reason. And there are people that prefer it all "canon".
Good with the bad omae, it's all just life.
have fun!

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 11 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Of course I'm having fun. I woulnd't have made the post if it wasn't intended to enhance my amusement somehow. ;)

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 11 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Actually, to be game police, there'd have to be some official or legal backing by Wizkids, Fanpro, or a Microsoft lawyer who can argue how the objectionable content is defaming their rights to theoretically produce a Shadowrun based PC game.

This is more the game lynch mob.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Actually, to be game police, there'd have to be some official or legal backing by Wizkids, Fanpro, or a Microsoft lawyer who can argue how the objectionable content is defaming their rights to theoretically produce a Shadowrun based PC game.

I've been looking for a new sig for a while... Looks like you're it!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 11 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It isn't even that. That'd involve us actually doing something to the people involved. This is the game crotchety old men on the bench outside the store.

In the end, to actually have a discussion there has to be either a pure factual discussion ("How does X word" "Y" "Where is that" "Page Z"; you can see how this would make for short and dull threads) or opinions have to get into the mix. The idea to not say anything at all if you don't have something nice to say is perhaps the most venomous of all. Someone comes up with a bad idea (in our opinions), we call them on it. That doesn't mean we force them to stop using it.

~J

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Feb 11 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I'm close to the crotchety old men, but even I admit I'm wrong at times.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 11 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Non-Canon? Houserule? *gulp* *gasp* :eek: Heretic! Infidel!

Jihad!

Join the Warriors for Shadowrun Orthodoxy. Call 1800-SRJIHAD now! First 30 callers will get a complementary Dikoted Ares Viper Slivergun Ally Spirit that you can have sex with. :D

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 11 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

So..... does that mean there won't be any lynchings?

Damn,got out of bed for nothin'

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 11 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)

*Shows up with a Vorpal Pitchfork and a +3 Torch of Houseruler Slaying*

I'm often rude on this board. Most of it's got to do with the fact that I'm an asshole, but I like to think that just as much has to do with being a straight-forward as possible about correcting people's sometimes rather perverted views of the canon world or RL logic.

When someone says "In our games, we like to play it so that cute little white fluffy bunny wabbits always pack PACs and kill everything that moves, whether that's canon or not" I don't mind. Makes no sense, but the person saying it seems to realize that. And the opposite case, where someone claims it's canon that CLWFBWs always pack PACs and kill people, is also easily dealt with.

The problem are people who say things like "Don't you think it ruins game balance that CLWFBWs pack PACs and kill everything that moves?" Messages where you aren't sure if the author is suggesting that's canon or not, or even if he's suggesting that it makes sense. Those often get needlessly rude replies.

Overall, it would be a good idea to add more "In my/our game"s and "This is how we play it, and we happen to like it"s into such messages. That generally tones down the hostility level of the replies.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 11 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #13

Chrome to the Core

You mean CLWFBWs don't pack PACs? :shock:

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 11 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

I nominate toturi for the first lynching! I tried calling his SR Jihad hotline but it wasn't a real phone number! On the off chance he misstyped I also checked 1-800-SR-JYHAD. It wasn't active either.

BURN HIM!!!!!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 11 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #15

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

We should beat him to death with solid BBBs! :D

+Quote Post
Adam
post Feb 12 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

I think that, when possible, quoting page numbers is a great way to reduce arguments and redundancy. Don't wait for someone to go "Where did you read that?" but tell them where, right off the bat.

Sure, there are times when the next post will be "Ah, but on p. xx of SomeOtherbook, it contradicts what you've said." -- but establishing a baseline of where the information is coming from is a good thing, especially with the number of rulebooks for SR and the number of special case rules that end up in other books.

I also think that the important thing is, early in a thread, remember what the original poster is asking -- if you're not answering that in some relatively direct way, it might be best to save your time.

[This is not directed at anyone in particular, and is not some sort of administration post.]

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 12 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #17

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Forgive them... for they know not what they do.

See? You do not have the true makings of a SR Jihadist, a true Jihadist would done more legwork before calling that number! Repent and sin no more! In the name of the 1st Ed, 2nd Ed and 3rd Ed BBBs, and all the Rules Expansions, Amen.

[In case anyone thought I was serious] :rollin:

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 12 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Grinder)
We should beat him to death with solid BBBs! :D

No, use the first few printings of SR3! The paper cuts he'll get from the pages flying around the room will make him regret his transgressions all the more!

+Quote Post
Ed Simons
post Feb 12 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE (tanka)
You mean CLWFBWs don't pack PACs? :shock:

They don't need them. Everyone knows they're fully capable of decapitating armored knights with their teeth.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 12 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Adam)
I think that, when possible, quoting page numbers is a great way to reduce arguments and redundancy. Don't wait for someone to go "Where did you read that?" but tell them where, right off the bat.

What a novel idea.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 12 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #21

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Is it just me, or have few people around here heard the phrase "live and let live"?

What was the point of this thread again? Just to say, "Hey, I'm better than all of you because I don't feel the need to say I'm better than all of you"?

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 12 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #22

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Hey cool,

Does this mean that everyone at Dumpshock gets to be POST certified???

pun intended, hahaha I kill me. :|

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 12 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (toturi)
Non-Canon? Houserule? *gulp* *gasp* :eek: Heretic! Infidel!

Jihad!

Join the Warriors for Shadowrun Orthodoxy. Call 1800-SRJIHAD now! First 30 callers will get a complementary Dikoted Ares Viper Slivergun Ally Spirit that you can have sex with. :D

Hey, I tried the number but no one picked up. Do I still get the free Dikoted Ares Viper Slivergun Ally Spirit that I can have sex with?

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Feb 12 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

I would say we are more like the "SR witch hunters". Besides I don't know what you expect from a bunch of semi-intelligent, very saucy SR fanatics. Each and every one of us, including myself has a very specific view of what SR is to us and how it should be protrayed. Of course we will never pass up the chance to impress upon the world that our vision is the correct vision and laugh at your silly attempts at "fixing" and "adding" and other such nonsense.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Feb 12 2005, 03:36 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

What was the point of this thread again? Just to say, "Hey, I'm better than all of you because I don't feel the need to say I'm better than all of you"?

Give that man a cigar, he got it in one!

What? Everyone else here gets to be superior but not me? That's prejudice! :rollin:

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.