Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [MrJBlackBook] Size, easier?
Flames
post Feb 13 2005, 08:39 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,103

In the shadowrun universe everything has ben switched over to the metric system (a system i like but cannot grasp very well).
My problem runs into when we get into fights, having many enemies and several players to keep track of is kind of wierd when nobody is really sure how long a meter is.
So, would it be feasible to play with yards or keep trying to hammer out meters?

how does it work for everyone else?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toshiaki
post Feb 13 2005, 08:47 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,063

Yards are close enough to meters that you shouldn't have a problem with that.

More precisely 1 yard is 0.9144 meters, so it shouldn't throw things off too much.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Feb 13 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Flames)
how does it work for everyone else?

Well, living in a country where the metric system is standard I have absolutely no problems with it. :D

To me the imperial system is far more alien.
Take distance:
12 inches = 1 foot; 3 feet = 1 yard; 1760 yards = 1 mile
vs.
100 centimeters = 1 meter ; 1,000 meters = 1 kilometer

Or weight:
16 ounces = 1 pound; 32,000 pounds = 1 ton
vs.
1,000 grams = 1 kilogram; 1,000 kilograms = 1 ton

I'm glad the scientific community chose the metric system as standard. Having to keep all these weird conversion factors in my head would drive me mad.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 13 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
32,000 pounds = 1 ton

Um, a ton (in the States) equals 2,000 pounds.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Feb 13 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (M¥$T1C @ Feb 13 2005, 11:50 PM)
32,000 pounds = 1 ton

Um, a ton (in the States) equals 2,000 pounds.

My bad, it's 32,000 ounces not pounds..
But the conversion alone posed a problem for me:
The converter I used offered two different "tons" (long and short).
Which is the right one and what's the purpose of the other?
And do I have to use "troy" ounces or "avoirdupuis" ounces? Why are there only "avoirdupuis" pounds?
Questions over questions...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 13 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Haven't you heard the expression 'size doesn't matter'?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 13 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

divide meters by 3 to get an approximation of the distance in feet. that, or use google.

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 14 2005, 08:05 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I wish metric was the standard here in the States. Its far easier to understand in concept, despite the fact that I'm inundated with inches/feet/miles/pounds. centimeters/meters/kilometers/kilograms just messes me up when it comes to specifics on how they relate to our standard.

Who's responsible for this mess? :)

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Feb 14 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

I blame the English. :D
Iagree, it would be nice to have the metric system, but I know aprox how far a mile is from my house. A Kilometer, I have no clue. Which I pronunce wrong anyway. I say it like Kill-O-meter.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 15 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #10

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

I generally adopt a standard if using a grid layout for combat.

1" square=1 m

This lends itself to fairly large maps, so occasionally I adjust to 1"=2m

If you have D&D damage and are looking for 5' squares, then simply say that each one is 1.5m as that is the approximation used when D&D was translated to French.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 15 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

as i create my maops in Viso, I draw in Meters but add a grid of 1" = 5' so mesh with the figurines we use.

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Mar 16 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #12

I am not here...

Member No.: 6,349

Don't blame the english for the imperial/metric mess, the french rocked the boat with their damnable easy to use metric system.

+Quote Post
TheWinningLoser
post Mar 17 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 7,158

Metrics. Simple.
Imperial. Not simple.

The only real reason the US doesn't use the metric system is that 98% of the population is too lazy to get up and re-learn how far they have to get off of their fat asses to have to drive to work. Or McDonalds. Or the Fridge. Or anywhere. Let's face it, we just don't want to get off of out fat asses.

Food should come to us. The whole 32.4 decameter long trip.

(figure that one out!) :please:

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Mar 17 2005, 03:13 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

QUOTE (TheWinningLoser)
Metrics. Simple.
Imperial. Not simple.

The only real reason the US doesn't use the metric system is that 98% of the population is too lazy to get up and re-learn how far they have to get off of their fat asses to have to drive to work. Or McDonalds. Or the Fridge. Or anywhere. Let's face it, we just don't want to get off of out fat asses.

Food should come to us. The whole 32.4 decameter long trip.

(figure that one out!) :please:

Eh, why learn something new when we don't have to. Other countries should learn the imperial way. Why is it us being lazy, I think it's everyone else.
Alright, alright, I'm being an ass, I know. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Maimer
post Mar 22 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 7,188

I take a general rule that 1 yard = 3 feet. In reality, 1 yard equals like 3.??? feet. Not that it would make that much of a difference really. Since I try to keep with the whole numbers, this offers the easiest conversion for on the fly computations of distance between different people in parties that are fighting it out.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 22 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Maimer)
I take a general rule that 1 yard = 3 feet. In reality, 1 yard equals like 3.??? feet. Not that it would make that much of a difference really.

Um ... One Yard does equal three Feet in reality. You might be thinking of a Meter, which is equal to 3.28 Feet, or 39.37 Inches.

+Quote Post
Link
post Mar 26 2005, 05:10 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

A Kilometer, I have no clue. Which I pronunce wrong anyway. I say it like Kill-O-meter.

It is kil-o-metre.You pronounce it properly, but can't spell it. :D

I learned the complexities of imperial to play AD&D. I knew the basics (for a metric nation, we still use a lot of imperial here.)

when D&D was translated to French.

I doubt there is an english version of D&D in metric, which is sort of funny - there must be a few english-metric countries?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 26 2005, 06:06 AM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Link)
It is kil-o-metre.You pronounce it properly, but can't spell it.

It varies according to where you are. Most places I've been pronounce it as kil-OM-etre. ;)

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Mar 28 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 7,243

the problem is probably the accentuation on the word kilometer. en english it's on the second syllable. en swedish it's almost always on the first syllable. making it very funny when swedes try ti prenounce indianapolis and equilibrium :P

anyway, if you're more fluent in the imperial system, instead of on the fly conversions, convert everything else to the imperial, like weapon ranges and and movement, then you won't need to recalculate during game play.

+Quote Post
LordFarlander
post Mar 29 2005, 02:13 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 6,980

Just my $0.02 on the whole "US dosn't use metric" problem (being someone in the US)...

Imperial system confuses me to no end. I still don't understand the liquid measurements, and I grew up here, my parents are from here, etc. I have no idea how many pints are in a gallon or however the stupid system goes. Milliliters to Liters? Easy.

What gets me is when people here say the metric system is "too hard." Where they paying attention AT ALL in school? How is converting centimeters to meters hard, when you compare it to how many inches to yards (and remember, inches has FRACTIONS, not decimals...)

My rant is over. Long live metric (I wish this stupid country would wise up and get with the program. The military uses metric, a lot of government work is done in it, why can't the populace get with the program? Is the country really filled with idiots? Maybe I need to move...)

I guess my rant wasn't quite over... :D

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 29 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (LordFarlander)
... and remember, inches has FRACTIONS, not decimals...

Where did you get this from?

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Mar 29 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #22

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

M :nuyen:$T1C, the short (US) ton is 2000 pounds, the long (British) ton is 2240 pounds. That's pretty close to the metric tonne of 1000 kgs, that's about 2200 pounds.

I grew up with the Imperial system and it was hell to learn. I still remember chanting tables of measurements. Does anyone know that a 'rod, pole or perch' is 10 yards long? Does anyone care? Even at the time that I was learning it the measurement was completely obsolete. :grinbig:

I use the metric system but I have trouble thinking in it. I know what distance a mile is but I don't 'know' deep down what a killometre is even though I can calculate in them. :wobble:

+Quote Post
Aardvark892
post Apr 1 2005, 09:08 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 7,255

QUOTE (LordFarlander @ Mar 28 2005, 09:13 PM)
Just my $0.02 on the whole "US dosn't use metric" problem (being someone in the US)...

Imperial system confuses me to no end.  I still don't understand the liquid measurements, and I grew up here, my parents are from here, etc.  I have no idea how many pints are in a gallon or however the stupid system goes.  Milliliters to Liters?  Easy.

What gets me is when people here say the metric system is "too hard."  Where they paying attention AT ALL in school?  How is converting centimeters to meters hard, when you compare it to how many inches to yards (and remember, inches has FRACTIONS, not decimals...)

My rant is over.  Long live metric (I wish this stupid country would wise up and get with the program.  The military uses metric, a lot of government work is done in it, why can't the populace get with the program?  Is the country really filled with idiots?  Maybe I need to move...)

I guess my rant wasn't quite over...  :D

"The military uses metric, a lot of government work is done in it, why can't the populace get with the program?"

Actually, we here in the US Military do not use the metric system. All of our measurements (at least in the U.S. Air Force aircraft maintenance field) are English measurements and SAE (Standard of Automotive Engineers) such as 3/4", etc.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 1 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #24

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

The metric system is the tool of the devil!
My car gets 40 rods to teh hog's head and that's the way I likes it.

Seriously though, just most folks have issues whenever they try and switch to teaching the metric system in the schools

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 19 2005, 09:55 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

[Quote = Rajaat99] A Kilometer, I have no clue. Which I pronounce wrong anyway. I say it like Kill-O-meter.[/quote]

Considering the history of the word, Kilo meaning thousand and meter being the basic unit it’s quite understandable.

Perversely I find in Australia that both methods are used, although an imperial ruler is getting hard to come buy when somebody over the age of about 30 estimates a distance they do so in feet and inches, cups, tea spoons, or kilograms, as appropriate. This can quite confuse some of the younger individuals.

Australia speaks English and uses the metric system, as dose England itself but we just get the American copies of D&D shipped over with imperial measurements. For some reason star wars D20 was set in metric however.

Edward

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.