IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pick My Character's Death!, It's that time again...
How should I kill Ivan?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 89
Guests cannot vote 
FrostyNSO
post Feb 15 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #1

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

I GM for my group and run a character at the same time. This guy has been around a long time, but alas, I'm having a kid and that along with travel is going to put an end to my shadowrun days for a little while, so want this guy to go out in such a way as to launch one last kick-ass adventure for my buddies.

His name is Ivan. He is formerly of Russia's MVD, where he served in a Spetsnaz unit. Him and a buddy (Brotchk Kutsev) defected and managed to make it out of the country and took off to Seattle where they set up shop as bounty hunters. Ivan was notorious for his often violent drinking binges with Brotchk.
After a rough and tumble stint bounty hunting in Seattle, including being incarcerated for the death of a mark for which he served his time, Ivan and Brotchk ended up in Chicago, looking for a politician's daughter. They never found her. Of the team they went in with, Ivan was the only survivor.
After a good bit of downtime, Ivan kicked his alcohol problem, vowing never to drink again, and went back to his bounty hunting, picking up a few new friends along the way. One big bounty was for a serial killer named Killian. Killian nearly gutted Ivan, but due to the skill and quick thinking of his friends, Ivan made it out and got to spend some of Killian's 50k bounty.
With a good, rep, Ivan and his team were approached by the Yakuza, who after first using him to pose as a Vory, eventually ended up hiring the team for many different jobs.
Ivan then made a second trip to Chicago with his new friends. This time, another extraction, only this one went over without a hitch, if you don't count the team getting wiped out and the extractee barely surviving. A medical clinic was levelled in this incident due to a bad move on Ivan's part.
Ivan is known for making sure all the angles are covered and always helping a teammate in need. Also popular are the Barbeques held at his "clean" house for the team and their selected friends, which he and his friend Ramsey pay for out of their bounty money.
Recently, Ivan housed one of his teamates at his own house in a time of dire need, when his friend was struggling to kick a kamikaze addiction.
Ivan's made a lot of enemies, lets see how we can take him out. I have a potential run planned (should things work out and the players try and follow it) for each scenario. I'm going to leave it in the hands of the dumpshock community to determine which one we go with. Here are the basics:

1. Car Bomb - A lot of the team's exploits while they hooked up with the Yaks were directed at the mafia. Now it's time for payback. After agreeing to meet with a team member, Ivan walks out to his car and hops in. When he turns the ignition <BOOM>

2. Barbeque Massacre - Same situation as above, but maybe the big barbeque bash wasn't such a good idea when there are people out to get even. Maurice Bigio sends some heavily armed goons to get rid of Ivan once and for all.

3. Gutted by Killian - Killian, that maniac serial killer has busted out of prison, and is looking to sharpen his retractable spurs on Ivan's torso.

4. Resisting Arrest - Lone Star has been looking into a few incidents that have happened lately. Looks like Ivan's name came up. Or maybe someone fixed it so it would.

5. Chicago Payback - Looks like some friends figured out it was Ivan who caused that clinic to disappear back in Chicago. They're going to make sure he gets back what he did to those innocent people.

6. From Russia with Love - When Ivan left the MVD, he took a lot of state secrets with him. Better to not have someone with that knowledge out freelancing, and now that they've found him, it's time to send some of his Spetsnaz buddies to take his traitor-ass out.

7. Brotchk is Back! - Brotchk somehow survived in Chicago the first time around and is pissed that his best friend left him behind. Twisted and deranged, it's time to pay Ivan a visit.

Ok, there they are. It's up to you, Dumpshock.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I'll have to think about which of these sounds best, but whichever you do, it should involve Ebola-Plus.

~J

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 15 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,375

Brotchk all the way. Nothing beats a come back killer.

Congrat's on your becoming a dad, by the way. (Assuming you wanted to become one. No offense.) :)

+Quote Post
ef31415
post Feb 15 2005, 02:45 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 6,886

If you weren't GM'ing, I'd say 'Yes'.

Have everything hit at once, ending in a running fight through Pike Place Market.

==Ed

+Quote Post
vapor
post Feb 15 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,046

i'm thinking accidental thor shot while in an munitions factory... go out with a bang. ;)

+Quote Post
Little Bill
post Feb 15 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 3,307

I'm thinking "mysterious disappearance" myself, possibly with some ominous clues left behind (like all his clothes ripped apart as if he burst out of them).
It has the advantages that the players can make up whatever story they like, and they probably will come up with something much more frightening to them than anything you had in mind, and that you can always change your mind later and bring the character back.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Feb 15 2005, 03:25 AM
Post #7

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

I'm gonna say number 2, with a caveat. Make it so that the next run a long time johnson sends him on, recquires a specific upgrade to a vehicle, and only a buddy of his can do the work. The work and the item are free, but what he doesnt know, is it's also a bomb. Rip off Speed, and only have the bomb trigger over a certain (high) speed. Until after the run, have lots of traffic jams and such to keep his speed below the limit, but after the run, open it up with a chase, so the bomb triggers and then goes boom after X minutes (with no silly looping video timer thingy)

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Feb 15 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #8

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Il all for just vanishing one day. Leaves all sorts of entertaining open plot lines...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 15 2005, 03:42 AM
Post #9

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Just retire him. And keep him around as a Fixer or Contact for your new PC.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 15 2005, 03:55 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

ah crud, I wanted to put two different votes in. the one for Chicago went through, but I also wanted to vote for the Brocht is back death. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Reason I vote for Chicago death, some comment made about killing numerous innocents.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 15 2005, 04:05 AM
Post #11

Resident Legionnaire

The Chicago Incident

6th page, second post from the top (using 25 per page).

...and thanks on the congrats for the baby. Here's hoping he doesn't turn out like us :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Feb 15 2005, 04:14 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I like the mysterious disappearance option. Letting everyone think he is dead would be optimal though.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 15 2005, 04:20 AM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
...and thanks on the congrats for the baby. Here's hoping he doesn't turn out like us :grinbig:

Cheers to that, omae. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 04:23 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Bah. Give the kid a copy of SR3 and Corporate Download on his fifth birthday.

~J

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 15 2005, 04:26 AM
Post #15

Runner

Just don't let him take his guns to town.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Feb 15 2005, 05:45 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'll have to think about which of these sounds best, but whichever you do, it should involve Ebola-Plus.

~J

Nah, give him the Super Clap!
2 minutes of pleasure for 2 days of visceral agony followed by death's sweet release.
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Feb 15 2005, 06:43 AM
Post #17

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Another vote for mysterious death. Have it take place in a hotel room. The security cameras buzz for a few seconds, and then there's nothing but his clothes, carried equipment (watch, wallet, etc), hair, and fingernails sitting there in a heap. No blood. Let the players come up with ideas for what happenned to him, then spend the next several months thinking of one that tops all of 'em. :D

+Quote Post
Mr. Man
post Feb 15 2005, 06:43 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,015

Ivan was dead. Did you know that? He died in a fire two years ago during an investigation into the murder of a witness who was going to testify against him. Two people saw Ivan enter a warehouse he owned just before it went up. They said he had gone in to check a leaking gas main. It blew up and took all of Ivan with it. Within three months of the explosion, the two witnesses were dead, one killed himself in his car and the other fell down an open elevator shaft.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 15 2005, 06:47 AM
Post #19

Resident Legionnaire

Holy crap....this is promising...wheels turning...

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Feb 15 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #20

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

:D gutted by a serial killer Atillus would love that! do it!

torz

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 15 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #21

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Can we choose all of the above? At the same time?

He's attacked by Killian. While the cops try to arrest him, then Brotchk takes that as his chance to attack. He leaps into the fray, totally unaware of the Russian mafia goons who open fire. A stray bullet hits a parked car, cutting the brake line. The car rolls forward, into the crossfire. Unbeknownst to everyone else, it has a large bomb on board. Ivan uses the car as cover as he and it roll down the street towards a major intersection. When the bomb goes off, it catches a nearby gasoline truck, killing everyone. The giganto explosion launches a piece of shrapnel into a low flying traffic helicopter, which crashes, which pisses off Deus who launches a thor shot. Whoever those Chicago people are aren't sure which splat is Ivan, so they payback all of the splats, each in its own individual ziplock bag.

Ivan's corpse is, mysteriously, never found.

I think that'd be a good way to go out.

+Quote Post
Brazila
post Feb 15 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,278

I like the BBQ thing myself. It is a good reason for people to not be packing much heat, and offing him in front of other PCs when there is not much they can do about it is always super dramatic. Think Punisher.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 15 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #23

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I voted for "don't kill him". I like the character. Couldn't decide to chose that point or the "let him disappear" option. Combine both and let him disappear for a while so maybe he can come back as a npc. Or not.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Feb 15 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #24

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Brotchk comes back. But he's not quite right, and in fact HE is now a wanted serial killer. Ivan gets a contract to nab him.

BUT, the twist is, Brotchk is the one that (indirectly) hired Ivan. Brotchk is crazy, and looking for slow, painful revenge. Ivan does not know Brotchk is leading him on a crazy trail. Think the movie Seven here. Brotchk is showing him his insanity. Each clue leads deeper in the heart of darkness.

For the finale, you can either go the Seven way and Brotchk shows him something so terrible that Ivan kills himself or loses it, or simply Brotchk lays out his finale and kills Ivan.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 15 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Reenacting Death and the Compass would be neat.

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.