IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smart Link 2, A sequal that is better than the first!
Brazila
post Feb 18 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,278

Is it just me or is the SL2 on the unbalanced side of the fence. I mean I always thought that the SL was good, but SL2 is nuts. There is no reason to ever get an SL1 anymore, since they have been introduced I have yet to see a PC choose 1 over 2. If you use the bypass armor option for called shots then an SL2 and glazer rounds equal stupid killing machine. I am all in favor of mundanes having some good gear, but in the hands of a gun bunny adept, this is just nuts!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 18 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Well, there's the roleplaying factor.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 18 2005, 02:17 AM
Post #3

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

So? It is good gear. It works by increasing the level of lethality in games on both sides. Nothing surprising there.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 18 2005, 02:18 AM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

and the nonsensical yet in there for balance aspect of not stacking the benefits of a scope with a smart link.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 18 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #5

Runner

With the addition of a rangefinder.

+Quote Post
Brazila
post Feb 18 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,278

For the benefits I just think the $ cost is very low. And if SL2 is that cheap then SL1 seems like it would be way less.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 18 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #7

Canon Companion

The SL 2 has a street price more than double that of the SL and twice the Availibility.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Feb 18 2005, 03:15 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

The cost of the SL2 is negligigle all things considered. Especially since it's usually taken at creation.

That's the result of early Shadowrun gear book mentality. First SSC, then Field of fire... they kept adding gear that frequenlty made what came before obsolete.

Personnally, I'd increase the SL2 cost a little and more importantly I'd raise the essence cost by .1, blaming it on the extra processing power required.

Essence is a better balancing factor than money for anything under 30K or so.

Also, I might have more than 2 grades of SL.

From model I to model II, there is a world of difference and that leaves room for intermediate models. 4 Different models would justify a much bigger range of price and essence cost in terms of game balance.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 18 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Charon @ Feb 17 2005, 08:15 PM)
The cost of the SL2 is negligigle all things considered.  Especially since it's usually taken at creation.

Yes, but getting a gun with an internal SL2 is not a small deal, since it will cost at least 350% of the price of the gun without it (assuming it isn't one of the few guns with integral SL2, which are generally pricey in and of themselves) before you apply SI.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 18 2005, 03:20 AM
Post #10

Canon Companion

Game balance is not an issue. Recognise that the true difference in SL 2 and SL is in the gun attachment not the implants themselves. Unless you rule that the SL 2 called shot function do not function with SL 2 guns and smart goggles, I do not see the reason for any increase.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Feb 18 2005, 03:24 AM
Post #11

Runner

That's the result of early Shadowrun gear book mentality. First SSC, then Field of fire... they kept adding gear that frequenlty made what came before obsolete.

Much the same way that CDs made tapes obsolete.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Feb 18 2005, 03:27 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Yes, but getting a gun with an internal SL2 is not a small deal, since it will cost at least 350% of the price of the gun without it (assuming it isn't one of the few guns with integral SL2, which are pricey in and of themselves) before you apply SI.

Actually, the Ares Alpha isn't all that expensive really, considering that you get a GL and all.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 18 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #13

Guests

I said they're "generally pricey."

+Quote Post
Charon
post Feb 18 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Yes, but getting a gun with an internal SL2 is not a small deal, since it will cost at least 350% of the price of the gun without it (assuming it isn't one of the few guns with integral SL2, which are generally pricey in and of themselves) before you apply SI.

Why? Last I checked p.32 of MM stated it was X150%. So a SL1 gun is 2 time the base cost and and a SL2 is 2.5. We are only talking a 25% premium over the cost of a weapon with smartlink 1. ((SL2 - SL1) / SL1).

Beside, you can always buy the external link if the internal link is jacking the price too high for your taste.

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Feb 18 2005, 05:25 AM
Post #15

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

But the external link has a lot of poblems of its own, like getting damaged, getting stolen, not being able to be worn in every situation, etc. I dunno - I like magic-type characters, but with everyone bitching about how magic characters are so super bad-arse, why not have something that really whoops hoop for the mundanes? :rotate:

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 18 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

pssst... Because the mundanes are always worried that the magic guys will lose some magic and implant some of their mundane toys too.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Feb 18 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Prospero)
But the external link has a lot of poblems of its own, like getting damaged, getting stolen, not being able to be worn in every situation...

Worn? Stolen?

I'm talking about the external link on the gun. It's as much a liability as a laser sight, no more, no less.

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Feb 18 2005, 06:36 AM
Post #18

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

QUOTE (Charon)
QUOTE (Prospero @ Feb 18 2005, 12:25 AM)
But the external link has a lot of poblems of its own, like getting damaged, getting stolen, not being able to be worn in every situation...

Worn? Stolen?

I'm talking about the external link on the gun. It's as much a liability as a laser sight, no more, no less.

Ohh. Right. For some reason I thought you were talking about the goggles. Carry on, then.

and toturi... some magic types, yeah, but since when is a smartlink better than a butt-whooping manabolt? (well, maybe for a conjuror or adept... but they don't really count ;) )

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 18 2005, 07:17 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

What precisley about the Smartlink 2 is nuts? It's a generally better piece of 'ware than the SL1, but you know, that's what happens when a useful piece of equipment is out on the market. It gets upgraded. None of the advantages it provides over the SL1 are really unbalancing, save perhaps if you let players make called shots to bypass armor all the time.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 18 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #20

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

How do you not let them do it?

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Feb 18 2005, 10:13 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Corporal punishment?

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 18 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (tisoz)
How do you not let them do it?

Don't let called shots bypass armor.

+Quote Post
Rolemodel
post Feb 18 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,094

Really. Seriously. Called shots bypassing armor is perhaps one of the most unbalancing issues I have with ranged combat. The SL-2 just facilitates this, and while the option to call a specific shot of the body/vehicle/etc., is a viable option, and one that should be encouraged in certain circumstances...

...reducing armor to zero is more or less complete shit.

On the flip side, I agree with the concept of gear being refined, and improved in later releases, aka SL-2. Not to mention it's more or less the Samurai bread and butter. And given the pointed castration of our cyberpunk cornerstone, I say give the damn samurai whatever they can get.

-Rolemodel

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Feb 18 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #24

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Personally, I'm more likely to use the SL2 to fire for a special effect on a called shot, like maiming the target (blowing off the elbow of the hand holding the gun, then the opposite kneecap) so I'm not left with bodies to dispose of.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Feb 18 2005, 01:35 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Brazila)
There is no reason to ever get an SL1 anymore, since they have been introduced I have yet to see a PC choose 1 over 2.

There are not practical reasons to buy a Model-T car or muzzle-loading rifle, either. Just aesthetics.

The Smartlink 1 is a case of obsolence.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.